What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

Whomever recommended those knee braces, thank you. Threw one on tonight while messing around the house.  Knee felt like instantly better. I think I could run in this. Will still give it another 10 days so as not to tempt fate. 

Otis said:
Shrug.  I KIND OF DO 
Otis is very tall.

Glad to see this bumped as I'd forgotten to do my planking for the day and just did it.  @DA RAIDERS, I decided to re-do the beginner level of the app I posted, rather than the intermediate.  I last finished this in June and feel like I probably need to start over entirely and work my way back up.  Will plan to do the intermediate after finishing the beginner again.

I've been doing this weird thing that I probably shouldn't admit, but it's so bizarre it makes me laugh.  I find myself reading menus all the time.  Not just checking out a menu of a place I might go or anything like that, but looking up menus of any restaurant I see mentioned.  And then I just read them and think how good stuff sounds.  I don't go out and eat any of it.  Just read the menus.  Seems satisfying.   :bag:  

Otis is very tall.

Glad to see this bumped as I'd forgotten to do my planking for the day and just did it.  @DA RAIDERS, I decided to re-do the beginner level of the app I posted, rather than the intermediate.  I last finished this in June and feel like I probably need to start over entirely and work my way back up.  Will plan to do the intermediate after finishing the beginner again.
OY!!  My body already doesn’t like day 1, of the intermediate one. Never done a reverse plank.   The wrist I hurt, sleeping, will be an issue. I’ll see if I can work through it. 

Tomorrow is all about recovery. Massage scheduled. I’ll do my planks,  the sauna, and not much else.   :pickle:

Question: will planking do anything meaningful for my guns?  And if not, why bother?

#sunsoutgunsout
You’re reverting back to blOtis.  Just an FYI. 

Planks will work your triceps, shoulders, back, legs, ### and stomach.  Most importantly for blOtis, it will quickly give your abs a side cut. 

BMI is a joke. 
I know that it has a lot of flaws, especially for people who legit lift.  But, it is an OK guide.  However there are a ton of overweight critics (not at all saying you) who make up silly reasons why their number is so high b/c the new norm is being overweight or worse...and people dont want to admit that they are in an unhealthy place.

ETA - for example...people who lift once a week saying they have a lot of muscle, saying they are big boned, that they have broad shoulders, etc.  Yeah, some of that might be true, but you are also carrying 40 extra lbs of fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
So lemme guess, you're a middle aged dude without any muscle
Bad guess. I lifted consistently for over 20 years, but stopped a couple years ago, when I realized I was wasting my time and destroying my joints for vanity’s sake. Though I’m not as muscular as I once was, I still exercise and have adequate muscle tone.

I guess whatever motivates people shouldn’t be discouraged, but I’ve seen too many guys fall into the trap of overdoing weights for “beach muscles” and injuring themselves in the process. Especially as you age, the emphasis should be on cardiovascular health and flexibility, with primarily body weight exercises emphasizing core strength over stuff like bench and curls.

I think you have a duty to look decent for your significant other, but otherwise, nobody really cares about the gun show.

I know that it has a lot of flaws, especially for people who legit lift.  But, it is an OK guide.  However there are a ton of overweight critics (not at all saying you) who make up silly reasons why their number is so high b/c the new norm is being overweight or worse...and people dont want to admit that they are in an unhealthy place.
It’s fine for ~90% of the population, but everybody thinks they’re some kinda big boned exception.

OY!!  My body already doesn’t like day 1, of the intermediate one. Never done a reverse plank.   The wrist I hurt, sleeping, will be an issue. I’ll see if I can work through it. 

Tomorrow is all about recovery. Massage scheduled. I’ll do my planks,  the sauna, and not much else.   :pickle:
I kind of like the reverse ones.  I just looked to see when you get to the first side planks with arm raised - Day 7.  Those nearly killed me.  Think one side of those will be very tough on your wrist.

Day three for me of the basic plank challenge (10 seconds, 20 seconds, etc.) complete:

I did 30 seconds, 60 seconds and 60 seconds on the three days... surprised how much I can feel it... damn, I'm really out of shape :lol:  

God I hate this time of year.  HATE IT.  In the first week of time change I’ve had to move/cancel two runs and I can already feel that lack of sunlight depression hitting me.

Don’t remember your exact numbers, but I thought you weighed 235+...you need to be pretty tall not to be obese. Unless you’re all biceps?
Was in training all week and at one point we did an ice breaker where we got a bio on our partner to then answer questions.  Guy I was partnered with is 6’1” and weighs 148 pounds.   :o

Was in training all week and at one point we did an ice breaker where we got a bio on our partner to then answer questions.  Guy I was partnered with is 6’1” and weighs 148 pounds.   :o
A couple guys I climb with are 6’3”-6’4” and weight less than 160.

I’m 5’11”, 165, but got down to 148 after mountaineering for ten days.

Don’t remember your exact numbers, but I thought you weighed 235+...you need to be pretty tall not to be obese. Unless you’re all biceps?
About 230 at the moment. I don’t think I could realistically get to 200 at this point in my life, but it’s a good goal to set.  Realistically I’d be thrilled to get to 210. 

I didn’t say neglect staying in shape. But heavy lifting, especially for “beach muscles” like pecs and biceps, is usually a waste of time for obese middle aged dudes.
I didn't say you said that.   You said nobody cares if you have any muscle and I disagree.   I do a agree that being some jacked dude at fifty is self defeating but some muscle is a very good thing both for looks and quality of life.  And some vanity imo is a good thing.   That's certainly a part of what drives me (along with just being healthy) b/c when I look good especially as I age and compare myself to others in my age group, I feel better about myself which causes me to take even better care of myself so its a cycle.   If you're some obese middle aged dudes, sure, the goal should be just to get healthy but in tandem or a subsequent goal could be to look like the guy on the cover of Men's Health.   Pulling that off in your 40's is quite an accomplishment.   

Pretty sure I work with a guy that size.  Slim build, runs all the time, skinny.  I'm 6' and 170 is about as low as I can get without serious work.  I still have an easy 15 lbs, if not 20 around the middle I know I could lose.

Pretty sure I work with a guy that size.  Slim build, runs all the time, skinny.  I'm 6' and 170 is about as low as I can get without serious work.  I still have an easy 15 lbs, if not 20 around the middle I know I could lose.
Are you saying you’re 6’ 170 now and can still lose 15-20 more? Because that seems crazy.

Are you saying you’re 6’ 170 now and can still lose 15-20 more? Because that seems crazy.
No, I'm currently 180 but have at least 25 lbs I could lose.

About 10 years ago (mid 30s then) I got down to 159 as my lowest as an adult, and I still had some fat over my abs and love handles.

@AAABatteries touched on this once, as a society our sense of what is or isn't overweight is so distorted.     We have so much more weight to lose then we realize. 
While I agree with this as a general rule, if you are 6'0", 159, you have next to no muscle mass. Which may be fine, but anyone with some muscle mass is going to be at least 180 at 6'.

While I agree with this as a general rule, if you are 6'0", 159, you have next to no muscle mass. Which may be fine, but anyone with some muscle mass is going to be at least 180 at 6'.
Nutter butter is right. Society has a skewed view of what constitutes a healthy weight. A six footer weighing 160 will likely be very lean, but not necessarily scrawny. Alex Honnold  is almost exactly that size, for example. Adding twenty pounds doesn’t necessarily mean more muscle - it probably is almost all fat for the average Joe, with BMI bordering on overweight.

I'm 6'4" so I'll let you know when I get down to 180.  :)    I doubt I can get there without being absolutely shredded but I felt the same way about 190 and I was so close to that and I could certainly have lost a few more pounds so I really don't know what my floor would be.  

About 230 at the moment. I don’t think I could realistically get to 200 at this point in my life, but it’s a good goal to set.  Realistically I’d be thrilled to get to 210. 
Any weight loss will be helpful for optimizing your health. But I bet you’d be 185 or less if your body fat percentage was in the single digits, which is the point where abdominal and other musculature is obvious.

I'm 6'4" so I'll let you know when I get down to 180.  :)    I doubt I can get there without being absolutely shredded but I felt the same way about 190 and I was so close to that and I could certainly have lost a few more pounds so I really don't know what more floor would be.  
In my twenties, I lifted and ran six days a week. I weighed 165-170, and body fat was 5%. That was my floor at the time.

I weigh about the same now, but twenty years later my BF has more than doubled, and I can probably stand to lose 5+#.

Nutter butter is right. Society has a skewed view of what constitutes a healthy weight. A six footer weighing 160 will likely be very lean, but not necessarily scrawny. Alex Honnold  is almost exactly that size, for example. Adding twenty pounds doesn’t necessarily mean more muscle - it probably is almost all fat for the average Joe, with BMI bordering on overweight.
This is a silly argument to have, especially when you're saying things like "probably is almost all fat".

A six footer at 180 lbs can be very fit or he/she can be very out of shape at that same weight/height.  Everyone is different and has different body frames.

This is a silly argument to have, especially when you're saying things like "probably is almost all fat".

A six footer at 180 lbs can be very fit or he/she can be very out of shape at that same weight/height.  Everyone is different and has different body frames.
Yep, this is why I sometimes take exception when people get tunnel vision for particular weight goals. I know lots of skinny unhealthy people. What's right for you? It depends. Me, I looked like #### at 6'1 168. If I can exercise enough restraint in the weeks preceding my racing times would benefit if I were to drop to 177 or thereabouts race day, but 183-187 is about right for me. I have too big of an ### to drop below that range though.

Yes, a six footer at 180 can be muscular and fit. But the average guy with those numbers probably isn’t, as you have to be very active to maintain a lot of muscle. And certainly the average middle aged dude isn’t.

I used to perform DEXA scans for body composition analysis. Aside from a few outliers (mostly Asian Pacific Islanders), I was surprised how similar the bony frames were underneath the muscle and fat. There are differences, of course, but 9 times out of 10 the guy complaining about their BMI ain’t big boned or muscle bound.

Users who are viewing this thread