Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread—planking, rowing, fruits and veggies, you can see Krista’s ribs #thatshot

2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

The best exercise plan (like diet) is one you can maintain. Body weight exercises and running are a good combo, but will only work if you enjoy them to some extent.

Having recently started running for a couple weeks, I was really starting to enjoy it.  I need to make sure the knee won’t be an issue going forward, but if I take it slow I assume it’ll strengthen and I’ll work past it.  I may have just tried to do too much too quickly.  

9 hours ago, Otis said:

I’ve decided I’m gonna be a runner guy. Gonna stop lifting for a while; maybe I’ll just do push ups. 

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers. The knee no longer hurts, and I’m going to attribute my recent soreness to simple lack of use of all those muscles in the past decade, and start over in C25K.  

Given my body composition, I don’t need more muscle. I need to get lean. I’m going to stop lifting. I’m going to start running 4 or 5 times a week. Build up gradually. And hopefully lose weight and get fit. 

Advice welcomed. 

Keep lifting 2x per week, but veer the regimen away from strength building. It's maintenance. It won't help you get faster, but it will help you stay healthier. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Otis said:

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers.

Hopefully we’ll start seeing you in the 10k thread. There are a lot of good deals right now with running watches and dc rainmaker is the guy for watch reviews.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Otis said:

Having recently started running for a couple weeks, I was really starting to enjoy it.  I need to make sure the knee won’t be an issue going forward, but if I take it slow I assume it’ll strengthen and I’ll work past it.  I may have just tried to do too much too quickly.  

Great. You may want to try running on a softer surface, like a track, or trail running to spare your knees a bit. The former is pretty boring though, but I guess it’s better than a treadmill. Also, if you have access to water, swimming is great exercise.

• Like 1

Maybe also have someone check out your running form.   Poor running form is recipe for physical deterioration as you age.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Maybe also have someone check out your running form.   Poor running form is recipe for physical deterioration as you age.  

"Hey, you wanna watch me run and tell me what you think?"

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, Otis said:

I think the only solution is to post here some video of your running.

• Laughing 1

I just spent three and a half hours doing leaves holy crap am I out of shape I am so sore right now I can barely stand up

1 hour ago, Otis said:

My daughter would get shin splints when she ran...  A coach gave her advice on how her foot landed...  Problem solved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

You should see if you pronate or supinate to get proper shoes/inserts

Any good running store will do it

Edited by belljr

So sore, from shirtless, hot yoga.  Love it!   Burned 989 calories in an hour and change.  This time, the instructor, commented on my planks after class.  They’re starting to get obnoxiously long  

There was a nice pervy article in the NYT on hot flow yoga, and the gym I belong to, LIFETIME.  I’ve been touched once, by an instructor. And it was a dude. :mellow:  :pickle:

Edited by DA RAIDERS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

So sore, from shirtless, hot yoga.  Love it!   Burned 989 calories in an hour and change.  This time, the instructor, commented on my planks after class.  They’re starting to get obnoxiously long  

There was a nice pervy article in the NYT on hot flow yoga, and the gym I belong to, LIFETIME.  I’ve been touched once, by an instructor. And it was a dude. :mellow:  :pickle:

I’ve been told that hot yoga can bring a woman to climax. True. 

Finally getting started. Hiked a moderate trail on Mt. Si Yesterday. Was about 5 miles. First Peloton ride completed today (20 minute beginner ride). I think I’m going to stick with it this time. Starting weight is about 265. Really should be no more than 180. Goal one will be sub 250 by the end of the year. If it takes me that long I’ll be disappointed. At my size I should be able to drop 15 really quick. Stretch goal will be 240 by year end.

• Like 5

So I’m not even going to weight myself for a while. Back on the running kick, went this morning and the knee feels great. I think it may have been the new sneakers that did me in. Going to throw them in the trash; have some other new ones on the way. But I’m just going to run and keep alcohol down and eat sensibly and see what happens. 

You never see a fat guy who runs a lot. 

• Like 1

Hurt my back in the climbing gym a couple days ago, and was temporarily derailed from the plank challenge.

Tonight I did catch-up sets of 100, 110 and 120 seconds. That was pretty tough, but I'm officially back on track.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, East Coast Bias said:

Finally getting started. Hiked a moderate trail on Mt. Si Yesterday. Was about 5 miles. First Peloton ride completed today (20 minute beginner ride). I think I’m going to stick with it this time. Starting weight is about 265. Really should be no more than 180. Goal one will be sub 250 by the end of the year. If it takes me that long I’ll be disappointed. At my size I should be able to drop 15 really quick. Stretch goal will be 240 by year end.

Which trail?  Little Si, maybe (it’s about five miles)?

On 11/11/2019 at 8:43 AM, Walking Boot said:

I'm 5'10", and a couple years back, topped out at 223. Going potato for a while got me down to 185, then hit a plateau. Casual Keto got me down another 10 to 175, but I couldn't quite hit my goal of 165. Eventually bad habits and stress eating snuck back in and I made it back to 195 earlier this year.

9/2: 184 

9/9: 181

9/16: 179

9/23: 180.5

9/30: 177.5

10/7: 179.5

10/14: 177.0

10/21: 176.0

10/28: 177.5

11/4: 173.5 

11/11: 173.5

11/18: 174.0. Not bad for a week off the rails but I'd love to resume the downward trend. This week isn't shaping up to be that great either so it might be a slog through this patch until the real work can start up in earnest again.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:24 PM, krista4 said:

Running videos are the new shot videos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2019 at 1:02 AM, DA RAIDERS said:

What’s the starting duration?

Do a plank everyday, starting duration to be determined. Increase the time, every day, by 5-10 seconds, until you hit 5 minutes. 

Plank challenge

i did a low low plank last time. Low or high?

On 11/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, krista4 said:

Oh, OK!  I will do this, too.  

What I did before was on an app.  I think if you search "30 day plank" in the App Store it comes up.  The icon looks like this, and the landing page like this.  There are beginner, intermediate, and expert options; first time I did the beginner and this time (starting today) I'll do the intermediate.  It's not just holding one plank but rotating through a bunch of different types.  On Day 30 of the beginner, you get about 12 minutes of total planking IIRC.  Looks like there will be 18 minutes total on Day 30 of the intermediate.  :scared:  The side planks with arms straight absolutely killed me.

Anyway, I'm going to do that plus separately will do the one you're describing on days it's not already covered in my daily planks on the app.  

ETA:  Also anyone should please join in the app one, too, if you wish!

Bumping per request above.

DA RAIDERS and I are doing the latter, and DA RAIDERS and a bunch of others are doing the former, I think.  I ended up doing the beginner level on the app again, but DA is doing intermediate.  I finished Day 15 today - halfway there!  It featured straight-arm plank, regular plank, then my nemesis the side plank with arm raised on each side, then more regular planking, then DA RAIDERS's nemesis the reverse plank.  Whew!

• Like 1

Just noticed thread title change.  :lmao:  I'm not sure where I fall right now.  On the bad side, I had another business meeting last night that involved drinking a bottle of wine and eating...god knows what.  On the good side, I go home from this trip tomorrow and am done with all that.  Also on the good side, I realized when I went to bed last night that I had inadvertently pulled off my jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping them, so there's that.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Bumping per request above.

DA RAIDERS and I are doing the latter, and DA RAIDERS and a bunch of others are doing the former, I think.  I ended up doing the beginner level on the app again, but DA is doing intermediate.  I finished Day 15 today - halfway there!  It featured straight-arm plank, regular plank, then my nemesis the side plank with arm raised on each side, then more regular planking, then DA RAIDERS's nemesis the reverse plank.  Whew!

I am doing both. Today’s reverse plank was a minute long. Not cool man, not cool. 

48 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Also on the good side, I realized when I went to bed last night that I had inadvertently pulled off my jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping them

Go on.....

:advertentlypullsoffjeans:

Edited by gianmarco
  • Laughing 5

3 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Go on.....

:advertentlypullsoffjeans:

OK, the "advertently" made me actually :lol: 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, belljr said:

Less sore without doing sprints

I’d be very careful doing sprints - at a bare minimum make sure you are really warmed up before attempting 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:08 AM, krista4 said:

Which trail?  Little Si, maybe (it’s about five miles)?

It was Talus Loop so a little short of 5 miles. Still felt like it was straight up. I’m not used to hiking up hills yet.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

It was Talus Loop so a little short of 5 miles. Still felt like it was straight up. I’m not used to hiking up hills yet.

I’ve never done that one but know it.  Make Little Si your next, maybe?  It’s a lovely hike; does have some steep parts but not for long.  Good for you - I’m excited to have another WA hiker in here!

22 hours ago, belljr said:

Less sore without doing sprints

I keep reading this as dong sprints 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:47 PM, Otis said:

You never see a fat guy who runs a lot. 

You never see a fat vegan either.....

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 3:18 PM, Walking Boot said:

I'm 5'10", and a couple years back, topped out at 223. Going potato for a while got me down to 185, then hit a plateau. Casual Keto got me down another 10 to 175, but I couldn't quite hit my goal of 165. Eventually bad habits and stress eating snuck back in and I made it back to 195 earlier this year.

9/2: 184 

9/9: 181

9/16: 179

9/23: 180.5

9/30: 177.5

10/7: 179.5

10/14: 177.0

10/21: 176.0

10/28: 177.5

11/4: 173.5 

11/11: 173.5

11/18: 174.0

11/25: 177.5. Went off the rails two weeks ago and it didn't hurt too bad, but, a tough week to stay on track and I'm back up. Hopefully this week can be back to the plan, other than some carbs at one Thanksgiving meal, no reason to not stick to the plan.

• Like 1

Was nervous for weigh-in today.  I didn't feel fatter, but given two completely off-the-rails days each of the last two weeks during my trip, and OK-but-not-great days the rest of the time, I had reason to worry.  However:

9/9:  Embarrassing starting weight

9/16:  -6.0 lbs

9/23:  -3.0 lbs

9/30:  -2.2 lbs

10/7:  -3.0 lbs

10/14:  +1.0 lb  

10/21:  -4.4 lbs

10/28:  -1.4 lbs

11/4:  -2.0 lbs

11/10:  -1.0 lbs

[missed week]

11/25:  -2.4 lbs

Total through 11 weeks:  -24.4 lbs

:excited:  My only explanation is that I really amped up my exercise during that time to try to make up for what I knew could be bad weeks; I pretty much doubled my usual activity.  Also kept up the planking (Day 21 today), which doesn't affect weight loss but does seem to contribute to overall better health and energy.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

I’m at 3:40 planking, but it’s getting unbearably difficult. Anyone else sharing the pain?

I’m not doing the “hold one plank” but instead the program with different kinds of planks.  Two days ago, after several days of about five minutes in total planks, it suddenly jumped to seven minutes.  Thought I might die.  Not excited to see what Day 24 has in store today.

3:40 in one plank is seriously impressive, btw.

Can't help but notice decreased activity on the whole in this thread of late. If that's you then don't ask for a second helping, if you must have dessert make sure it is small, and keep the booze from getting out of control. Then get back into a routine Friday. Not Monday. This is the time of year most get fat. Don't be a statistic. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Can't help but notice decreased activity on the whole in this thread of late. If that's you then don't ask for a second helping, if you must have dessert make sure it is small, and keep the booze from getting out of control. Then get back into a routine Friday. Not Monday. This is the time of year most get fat. Don't be a statistic. 

I'm still bouncing between 199 and 201.   I head out to play flag football in 15 minutes.   Today will be a successful weight day.  

• Like 2

I'm kicking off an ambitious 7 day challenge.

Just got off the treadmill and burnt about 500 calories.  I'm used to about 2000 net calories a day, but maintenance is closer to 2500. My goal today is to go about 1000 over,  so that's about 4000 calories. 

I don't know if I'll be able to do it unless i eat some pie. Turkey and vegetables won't get it done even if I go back for seconds.  I'm used to 2000 calories so this is two days of food in one day. I've got an emergency apple crisp pie if needed. 

The harder part will be knocking back another 3500 tomorrow with no exercise. But there's going to be leftovers and i know my body it won't want me to run. You have to pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Then I'll wipe out the remaining leftovers and shoot for an almost equally absurd 3000 on Saturday and try to squeeze in a wheezy fat guy run. 

Then I'm back to my usual 2000 net calories a day the rest of the week.

That's my 7 days, no guilt, no weight gain strategy.  

• Laughing 2

Despite Mac’s advice, I’ll be starting a new 100 day challenge on Monday if anyone wants to play along. Same parameters, but this time I’m eating clean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I’m spending the week getting fat

• Laughing 1

19 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

Despite Mac’s advice, I’ll be starting a new 100 day challenge on Monday if anyone wants to play along. Same parameters, but this time I’m eating clean.

Could you remind me what the parameters are?

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

Could you remind me what the parameters are?

I did a minimum of 20mins of elevated HR per day (was usually over 30). My normal activity didn’t count, so even if I worked a shift where I hit 10k steps, I had to have something extra for it to qualify. I ended up swimming, running, lifting weights, and doing yoga. Every day that I did it, I transferred $10 into a separate bank account, so at the end I would theoretically have $1000 to blow on something fun (I finished at $990). I just wanted an amount that was meaningful, but that wouldn’t break the bank, so ymmv as to how much, if any, you want to commit on a daily basis.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

I blew the doors off it today!!!!

Diet still meh but 100% working out now

Had a 2 mile run this morning

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, krista4 said:

Actually, one of the regulars in the running thread, and who's had some long-lingering injuries, posted a video and we picked it apart ...and seemed to have helped to address one of his recurring injuries. :shrug:  :nerd: 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

I did a minimum of 20mins of elevated HR per day (was usually over 30). My normal activity didn’t count, so even if I worked a shift where I hit 10k steps, I had to have something extra for it to qualify. I ended up swimming, running, lifting weights, and doing yoga. Every day that I did it, I transferred $10 into a separate bank account, so at the end I would theoretically have $1000 to blow on something fun (I finished at $990). I just wanted an amount that was meaningful, but that wouldn’t break the bank, so ymmv as to how much, if any, you want to commit on a daily basis.

Ok, I can do that.  In!  I probably won't post about my efforts every day since they will be boring compared to yours.  I'll almost always be doing either my incline trainer or hiking.  I guess some snowshoeing now, too, since it's almost the season.  And I don't think I'll do the money part.  But I'll check in now and then to confirm I'm still on track with the daily goals.  :) 

What did you do with the money from the first one?

1 hour ago, tri-man 47 said:

Actually, one of the regulars in the running thread, and who's had some long-lingering injuries, posted a video and we picked it apart ...and seemed to have helped to address one of his recurring injuries. :shrug:  :nerd: 

I'm sure you guys could help, but I just wanted Otis to do it for shtick.  :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m spending the week getting fat

Friday is gonna be an elastic waist band sorta day.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I'm sure you guys could help, but I just wanted Otis to do it for shtick.  :) 

Yes we could; and yes we do too! 

(We really do enjoy helping newbies develop their running habits and skills and then to see their progression.)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Ok, I can do that.  In!  I probably won't post about my efforts every day since they will be boring compared to yours.  I'll almost always be doing either my incline trainer or hiking.  I guess some snowshoeing now, too, since it's almost the season.  And I don't think I'll do the money part.  But I'll check in now and then to confirm I'm still on track with the daily goals.  :) 

What did you do with the money from the first one?

My daughter and I did a sports trifecta of Ohio State vs Penn State, Browns vs Dolphins, and Cavs vs Nets, on 3 consecutive days. This was all this past weekend. Was probably the best and most memorable trip that she and I have ever had.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

1 minute ago, Tecumseh said:

My daughter and I did a sports trifecta of Ohio State vs Penn State, Browns vs Dolphins, and Cavs vs Nets, on 3 consecutive days. This was all this past weekend. Was probably the best and most memorable trip that she and I have ever had.

WOW!!!  That is amazing!

• Like 1