Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread—Resolutions time, come one, come all

On 3/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, AAABatteries said:

Yep - what it told me is we (as a society) have really accepted being overweight.  And I’m not talking about not fat shaming, I think we just have lost all perspective on what our bodies should look like.  

Absolutely. Many are incredulous at what constitutes a healthy weight, often attributing a "big frame" for their super-size.

I used to do DEXA scans for body composition research, and it's amazing to see underneath it all, the skeletons look about the same, despite the silhouette of fat that surrounds them. If you aren't a serious athlete, chances are the oft-maligned BMI numbers are accurate.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, ProstheticRGK said:

Finally cracked thru the 250 barrier. Starting weight was somewhere around 285.

Doing prep days on Saturday is working well for my whole family, and I love taking a whole day cooking and trying new recipes. My wife loves that she doesn't have to worry about what's for dinner.

Cracked the 240 barrier. 239.8 lbs this AM. 💪

• Like 2

I went full Bale Otis last week on vacation and ate all the carbs.  7 pounds gained on the scale.  I’m 2 days back in so don’t plan to weigh again until Monday.  

I’ve done this before and gone off the rails.  Wish me luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I went full Bale Otis last week on vacation and ate all the carbs.  7 pounds gained on the scale.  I’m 2 days back in so don’t plan to weigh again until Monday.  

I’ve done this before and gone off the rails.  Wish me luck.

We got you, buddy. Get yer ### back on track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm still playing along with my slow loss plan.  Started at 205 and have been hovering around 200 for the past 2 weeks.   Need to lose a couple of pounds this month to stay on track to get down to 195 by June 1.  

So everyone is kicking ### except for the two guys named in the title.  Good work gents.

• Laughing 3

Week 15 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 180.0

Last Week:  165.0  (Week 12)

Current Weight:  168.1

Overall Lost: 11.9 lbs

I’ve mostly recovered from my vacation but not quite back on Keto.  What I have done is IF almost daily since I got back.  But I also finished off the beer that was leftover from vacation :bag: - no alcohol for a while starting today.  

Starting Weight - January 1 - 257.7

Current weight - April 15 - 229.9

NEW GOAL - 220 by Memorial Day

Disappointed by a small gain this week without any real reason. Will get back to it this week. 

Edited by The Flying Turtle

8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Posting your meals would be helpful. 

The below would be vastly different if I exercised less.

---

Breakfast - half bagel and a banana

Morning snack - oatmeal

Pre workout - nuts and an orange

Post workout - protein drink or cottage cheese w/fruit (berries a/o pineapple) and a hard boiled egg

Lunch - sushi or a deli sandwich (turkey/roast beef w/swiss, mustard and veggies) + a brown rice/quinoa side or baked potato (on late afternoon run days)

Afternoon snack - raw veggies (green/red/orange/yellow peppers, cucumber, grape tomatoes) 

If I lifted over lunch, am running after work, and need more fuel - pretzels or pizza crust + maybe a few fruit snacks

Post run - avocado (and gatorade if run > an hour)

Dinner - meat (ground turkey, chicken, shrimp, white fish, beef, pork) and veggies (asparagus, shrooms, broccoli, sprouts, zucchini/squash, salad)

58 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Posting your meals would be helpful. 

What kind of plan are you doing?  I think a lot of folks in here are doing low carb or very low carb.  

My meals are pretty vanilla - I’ll either skip breakfast (when doing IF) or have eggs (sometimes omelettes) and some meat.  Lunch is usually a salad with veggies (broccoli/green pepper/mushroom) and avocado and sometimes eggs and shrimp/fish.  Dinner is meat and veggies.  Rinse/repeat.

26 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

---

Breakfast - half bagel (4-5) and a banana (0)

Morning snack - oatmeal (5)

Pre workout - nuts (4-5) and an orange (0)

Post workout - protein drink (2-5) or cottage cheese (3) w/fruit (berries a/o pineapple) and a hard boiled egg (0)

Lunch - sushi (5 / roll) or a deli sandwich (2 / slice of bread) (turkey/roast beef w/swiss (4), mustard and veggies) + a brown rice/quinoa side (7) or baked potato (5) (on late afternoon run days)

Afternoon snack - raw veggies (green/red/orange/yellow peppers, cucumber, grape tomatoes) 

If I lifted over lunch, am running after work, and need more fuel - pretzels (3/oz) or pizza crust + maybe a few fruit snacks

Post run - avocado (8) (and gatorade (5) if run > an hour)

Dinner - meat (ground turkey, chicken, shrimp, white fish, beef, pork) (0) and veggies (asparagus, shrooms, broccoli, sprouts, zucchini/squash, salad) (0 - add 2 or 3 for dressing)

I showed the Weight Watcher points for each of these items.  This might point out some foods that seem healthy, but really don't help with weight loss.  A 200 lb male is allowed about 28-30 in weight loss mode.  You are allowed more points for exercise, but I usually ignore that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

You are allowed more points for exercise, but I usually ignore that.

Depending on what you do, and how much of it, it's important to account for that.  Under fuel and it impacts the output of the workout.  I'm probably not alone on this, but it also impacts my sleep.  Then increased fatigue begins the domino effect as the days go by until corrected.  The calories burned estimate on my running app has flaws because it doesn't account for intensity, among other things, but I average 5-6 miles per day.  Which is about 1K calories burned on my frame - 6'1 190.  And that doesn't account for lifting either.

I don't disagree about some of those foods influencing weight loss though.  (Most of) them being a part of my diet is solely for running fuel purposes.  That's why dinner is as you noted, somewhere between 0 and 2.  And days in which I only exercise over lunch have substantially less points in the afternoon.  Once the workout(s) for the day is/are done then I can hone in on healthy foods and not worry about foods that will boost workout performance while not upsetting my stomach. 

The reason I've not been successful with weight loss so far this year is I haven't been disciplined after dinner and too frequently on weekends.  I've lost almost 4 points in body fat, but only 4 pounds.  The social calendar finally lightens up after this past weekend's debauchery until Memorial Day weekend, so this is my window.  I can maintain with the mixture of that diet, exercise regimen, and several cheats per week.  But I need to eliminate the cheats for these 6 weeks if I'm going to drop the extra 8-10 pounds I said I was going to 2 months ago.

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

@MAC_32 is a workout machine - he's probably not a great comparison for many of us in here.

I like to offer the alternative perspective.  It's taken years to be able to handle the workload that I do now, but I made it my goal in part because I love food and drink as much as I do.  I made the choice a long time ago to push myself more from an exercise perspective because I'm not willing to give in with my diet cheats - at least for extended periods of time.  It obviously works, but it depends on your ability to stay with the workout regimen.  It does not work if you're susceptible to lulls in your workout regimen or aren't willing/able to push beyond your comfort zone and increase your fitness.  i.e. the reason I ended up with an extra 15 pounds is because I took a longer than usual break from high exercise volume last Nov/Dec.  One week won't make a difference (my usual break), but five did.

• Like 1

Thanks MAC. I don’t exercise nearly as much as you, so I don’t add points. In your case you should definitely take it into account. Those extra carbs are needed to supply your fuel. 

You know what your body needs. 

Ever go to a beach vacation with your family, and notice how hot your wife looks in a bikini even three kids later, and then all the dudes are walking around the pool with ripped abs and their big dongs sticking out, and there you are with your big gut sticking out, as you look into the mirror in your cabana and realize just how awful that extra 20-30lbs youre toting  around really makes you look?

asking for a friend 

Srsly someone pls make me lose 25lbs of fat now-ish TIA 

That’s it. Sunday is the day young handsome Otis will rise from the dead. 

Seriously there’s a halfway decent amount of muscle and a handsome frame underneath those 30lbs of winter warmth.  Drop 30 and add a tan, and Mrs O may be swooning. 

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Ever go to a beach vacation with your family, and notice how hot your wife looks in a bikini even three kids later, and then all the dudes are walking around the pool with ripped abs and their big dongs sticking out, and there you are with your big gut sticking out, as you look into the mirror in your cabana and realize just how awful that extra 20-30lbs youre toting  around really makes you look?

asking for a friend 

Given Otis’ weight lost history, it may be easier to get Mrs. Otis to gain some weight?

• Laughing 4

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

asking for a friend 

What kind of beach vacation u go to with guys hanging their dong out? Asking for @mr. furley

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, culdeus said:

What kind of beach vacation u go to with guys hanging their dong out? Asking for @mr. furley

I didn’t actually see any dongs. It was more a figure of speech. Sorry to disappoint you. 

12 minutes ago, Otis said:

asking for a friend 

that was your wife?  

Hovering around 169-170 for a while now.  On one hand I’m pleased that I’m treading water, especially since I’m still not working out.  

@culdeus - I’m interested in the set points theories.  How long (roughly) will it take to get my set point closer to my current weight than what it’s been used to.

On 4/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, Otis said:

That’s it. Sunday is the day young handsome Otis will rise from the dead. 

How’s this going?

11 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Hovering around 169-170 for a while now.  On one hand I’m pleased that I’m treading water, especially since I’m still not working out.  

@culdeus - I’m interested in the set points theories.  How long (roughly) will it take to get my set point closer to my current weight than what it’s been used to.

There are long term studies going right now but consensus is 2 years is probably ballpark. Not clear if resistance training shortens this or simply lessens the impact while you run out the clock. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2019 at 6:55 PM, Otis said:

asking for a friend 

Maybe your wife should wear beach attire that covers up the dong.

• Laughing 1

6 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

How’s this going?

Oh jesus I've been drinking all the booze I can find, and haven't been the to the gym in almost a month.  

Going ####### great. 

56 minutes ago, Otis said:

Oh jesus I've been drinking all the booze I can find, and haven't been the to the gym in almost a month.  

Going ####### great. 

Give it 10 more years.  Once you don't have little one it gets a lot easier IMO to get in shape.

My brother had success with low carbs and since I have about 40 lbs I need to lose I decided to give it a shot starting Monday. Down 4.4 lbs. already this morning.  I like this.

I miss beer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

My brother had success with low carbs and since I have about 40 lbs I need to lose I decided to give it a shot starting Monday. Down 4.4 lbs. already this morning.  I like this.

I miss beer.

I may go back to this. It works great every time. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

On 4/15/2019 at 9:18 AM, MAC_32 said:

---

Breakfast - half bagel and a banana

Morning snack - oatmeal

Pre workout - nuts and an orange

Post workout - protein drink or cottage cheese w/fruit (berries a/o pineapple) and a hard boiled egg

Lunch - sushi or a deli sandwich (turkey/roast beef w/swiss, mustard and veggies) + a brown rice/quinoa side or baked potato (on late afternoon run days)

If I lifted over lunch, am running after work, and need more fuel - pretzels or pizza crust + maybe a few fruit snacks

Dinner - meat (ground turkey, chicken, shrimp, white fish, beef, pork) and veggies (asparagus, shrooms, broccoli, sprouts, zucchini/squash, salad)

So this changed and I dropped 5 lbs in a month.  Go figure.

---

Breakfast - oatmeal, orange, and hard boiled egg

Pre workout - banana

Post workout - protein drink or cottage cheese w/fruit (berries a/o pineapple) 

Lunch - sushi, a deli sandwich (turkey/roast beef w/swiss, mustard and veggies), or a tuna concoction w/tomato + onion + olives + lemon juice + parsley

Afternoon snack - raw veggies (green/red/orange/yellow peppers, cucumber, grape tomatoes) w/hummus

If I lifted over lunch, am running after work, and need more fuel - nuts 

Dinner - meat (ground turkey, chicken, shrimp, white fish, beef, pork) and veggies (asparagus, shrooms, broccoli, sprouts, zucchini/squash, salad) + brown rice/black beans/quinoa/baked potato

---

Basically, adding the carb at dinner allowed me to push breakfast back to between 9 and 10 am.  I was then able to eliminate empty carbs during the day I previously needed for workout fuel purposes.  I'll still have pretzels and fruit snacks on stand by, but have only needed to dip into that reserve a couple times. Bagels are now completely out and nuts/oatmeal aren't an every day thing. The tuna concoction was critical too.  It isn't enough on 2-a-day's, but if I'm only working out over lunch?  It's sufficient.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:00 AM, AAABatteries said:

Week 15 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 180.0

Last Week:  165.0  (Week 12)

Current Weight:  168.1

Overall Lost: 11.9 lbs

I’ve mostly recovered from my vacation but not quite back on Keto.  What I have done is IF almost daily since I got back.  But I also finished off the beer that was leftover from vacation :bag: - no alcohol for a while starting today.  

About time for an update here.  172.4 today.  

The Good - I’m working out again.  I’ve “run” 4 times in the last 2 weeks which makes me very happy even if it’s slow as molasses. IF - I’m doing this fairly often and is a great tool for me.  I’ll need to reconsider this as I ramp up exercise but right now it’s probably one of the biggest reasons I haven’t gone off the rails

The Bad - I’ve basically been off Keto for 2 months.  I’m still fairly low carb and I’ve improved my diet some (lots of soup and salads) but still need to change my diet more to lose the stubborn belly fat

The Ugly - I love this time of year (except my allergies) - warm weather, lots of outdoor activities and swimming, yard work - and I’m drinking all the ####ty light beer.  I went out for 4 miles last night and when I got home I was covered in sweat and thirsty as hell.  Pulled out an ice cold beer and it was one of the greatest tasting beers I’ve ever had.  I’m not sure I can cut it out or want to more than I want to lose more.  We will see

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

About time for an update here.  172.4 today.  

The Good - I’m working out again.  I’ve “run” 4 times in the last 2 weeks which makes me very happy even if it’s slow as molasses. IF - I’m doing this fairly often and is a great tool for me.  I’ll need to reconsider this as I ramp up exercise but right now it’s probably one of the biggest reasons I haven’t gone off the rails

The Bad - I’ve basically been off Keto for 2 months.  I’m still fairly low carb and I’ve improved my diet some (lots of soup and salads) but still need to change my diet more to lose the stubborn belly fat

The Ugly - I love this time of year (except my allergies) - warm weather, lots of outdoor activities and swimming, yard work - and I’m drinking all the ####ty light beer.  I went out for 4 miles last night and when I got home I was covered in sweat and thirsty as hell.  Pulled out an ice cold beer and it was one of the greatest tasting beers I’ve ever had.  I’m not sure I can cut it out or want to more than I want to lose more.  We will see

Think I wold stay on this routine and enjoy living.  Looks like you found a sweet spot of diet, exercise, and some beer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So.....

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I jumped back into Keto.  I was down roughly 15 pounds after 2 weeks, however it was giving me the poops in a bad way.  The sneaky kind when you have to run to the bathroom in the middle of a meeting.  I jumped off and back onto the Weight Watchers app as this happened twice.  I was thinking yesterday of jumping back into Keto as I was reading about Keto Chow, when what showed up in the mail?

https://imgur.com/a/ISHFQc9

I fell off the wagon and it's 15 miles down the road.  Need to catch up and jump back on :bag: 

1 hour ago, ragincajun said:

So.....

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I jumped back into Keto.  I was down roughly 15 pounds after 2 weeks, however it was giving me the poops in a bad way.  The sneaky kind when you have to run to the bathroom in the middle of a meeting.  I jumped off and back onto the Weight Watchers app as this happened twice.  I was thinking yesterday of jumping back into Keto as I was reading about Keto Chow, when what showed up in the mail?

https://imgur.com/a/ISHFQc9

What's that mean?  Is that the Weight Watchers symbol?

1 hour ago, ragincajun said:

Not going to lie it was pretty motivational.  Also when I dropped of Keto I gained 7 pounds back over a WEEKEND!

That how I went up from 165 to a little over 170.  It’s crazy but I was pleased I’ve stabilized here.  I do think I’m going to go back to Keto soon for an extended period 

23 minutes ago, Keerock said:

I fell off the wagon and it's 15 miles down the road.  Need to catch up and jump back on :bag: 

You can do it Kee - if anybody has an excuse because of life it’s you but we know you got this and we got your back.

• Like 1

I went on a cruise last week and I figured something out.  It turns out that when you consume a lot of desserts and alcohol, it's easier to gain weight.

I might publish a paper on my findings.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Been Keto for about 4 weeks and down 14.6 lbs. Going to be a normal person for memorial day weekend and then will reasses what exactly I want to do. I never thought I would get sick of cheese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

What's that mean?  Is that the Weight Watchers symbol?

Yep.  Wife signed me up a while back for the digital membership.

• Like 1

Trying a new approach for my beach cut.  Basically going keto all but ~90 minutes of a day and for those 90 minutes go ham on everything. So it's a hybrid carb cycle/IF/keto approach.

Down to 169/13% with eyes on 165 in 2 weeks.  

Really struggled this year with some back issues, but those are 98% behind me now.  It's transformed my lifting into more high rep type full body stuff and that's been different, but good.

3 hours ago, culdeus said:

Trying a new approach for my beach cut.  Basically going keto all but ~90 minutes of a day and for those 90 minutes go ham on everything. So it's a hybrid carb cycle/IF/keto approach.

Down to 169/13% with eyes on 165 in 2 weeks.  

Really struggled this year with some back issues, but those are 98% behind me now.  It's transformed my lifting into more high rep type full body stuff and that's been different, but good.

So you are basically just eating all carbs during those 90 minutes?  I’m assuming “clean” carbs?

14 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

So you are basically just eating all carbs during those 90 minutes?  I’m assuming “clean” carbs?

I wouldn't say all carbs. But I would say the overwhelming hit in that timeframe from mostly potatoes I would say.