What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

Day 26/100

Scheduled to work tonight, so I stayed up late, and then rolled out of bed at 3pm today. Got to the gym for upper body work, and came home to shower and get ready for work. Right as I was about to get in the shower, I got called off. I don't feel like I got a great workout in, so I'm going to go walk a few miles at the park with my dogs.

BTW- Second 30-day stretch starts Sunday, so if anyone wants to jump on this train, that would be a great time to do it.

Bank: $260

ETA: Got bored this evening, so I went and shot hoops at the park for an hour. That got me to 10k steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, maybe I should give the potato hack a whirl.

I’m now switching back to “cut mode.”  Stopping the protein shakes and creatine, going to ratchet down the weight I’m lifting and increase the sets.  I’ll either just try and eat leaner, or do potato hack, or do low carb.  But it’s time for me to shed 15-20lbs and then reevaluate next steps...

I’m now switching back to “cut mode.”  Stopping the protein shakes and creatine, going to ratchet down the weight I’m lifting and increase the sets.  I’ll either just try and eat leaner, or do potato hack, or do low carb.  But it’s time for me to shed 15-20lbs and then reevaluate next steps...
Nothing but love for you, but, man, you're killing me. You know what you have to do, now quit f'ing talking about it and do it.

Day 28

Today I decided to do 5 miles of cardio, and then go play 18 holes of disc golf immediately afterward. That was stupid.

Bank: $280
Do you work?  These excursions you're taking every day must be hours upon hours.  

Yes I'm jealous. 

Do you work?  These excursions you're taking every day must be hours upon hours.  

Yes I'm jealous. 
I work 3 12-hour night shifts per week (7pm-7am). This week is only two, though, because I was called off on Tuesday. Tomorrow I'll be in the gym, then I'll come home and take a nap before heading in to work. Not sure if I'll work out after my shift ends Saturday morning, or wake up early Saturday afternoon to get that day done.

Day 29/100

Quick cardio warmup, then upper body day. Working tonight. Also have to work tomorrow night, so I'm thinking I'll go for a quick run or a swim when I get off tomorrow morning. That'll let me sleep longer during the day. First weigh in is also tomorrow. Not sure what time I want to do that, and have no idea what to expect. Hoping for 215. That would be an 8lb loss.

Bank: $290

Last weigh-in before vacation starts tomorrow.  166.2  - this is definitely a LOOK AT ME but I'm starting to look pretty decent.  Definitely not embarrassed to be walking around with my shirt off at the pool and only a 1 out of 5 on the Dad bod scale.  I just need to hopefully stay the course for another 6-9 months while this slowly melts off or get liposuction.  It's funny, if I had only been a little overweight and then got in shape I doubt many people would notice or say anything.  Because I was so damn fat and out of shape I get consistent (daily) comments from people.  I had one guy in the office look my picture up online and then thought I was some random fatty in the office cafeteria.  When we final met in person - he was like, that was definitely not you.  :lmao:

Plan for vacation (beach) is to try and run every morning and then swim my ### off during the day.  Realistically, I'll be eating out a bunch and drinking a lot of beer most likely so I'll take anything under 170.

Last weigh-in before vacation starts tomorrow.  166.2  - this is definitely a LOOK AT ME but I'm starting to look pretty decent.  Definitely not embarrassed to be walking around with my shirt off at the pool and only a 1 out of 5 on the Dad bod scale.  I just need to hopefully stay the course for another 6-9 months while this slowly melts off or get liposuction.  It's funny, if I had only been a little overweight and then got in shape I doubt many people would notice or say anything.  Because I was so damn fat and out of shape I get consistent (daily) comments from people.  I had one guy in the office look my picture up online and then thought I was some random fatty in the office cafeteria.  When we final met in person - he was like, that was definitely not you.  :lmao:

Plan for vacation (beach) is to try and run every morning and then swim my ### off during the day.  Realistically, I'll be eating out a bunch and drinking a lot of beer most likely so I'll take anything under 170.
Congrats, dude! You're my inspiration, a lot of times. Awesome how well you've done.

Since you've lost so much, Do You have any problems with saggy skin?

Congrats, dude! You're my inspiration, a lot of times. Awesome how well you've done.

Since you've lost so much, Do You have any problems with saggy skin?
Thanks GB - appreciate it.  And good timing - before I put the kids to bed we were talking about my "before" pic where I was 240.7.  And my current/now pic at 166.  I do have just a little (almost not noticeable) skin under my chin.  The only other area where there's anything noticeable is my belly where I still have a good 5-10 pounds of belly fat/skin I need to lose to have a true 6-pack.  My son was saying - "Dad could look kind of ripped if he could lose his belly."  I'm :lmao: and my daughter is asking what it is - when I say belly fat she gets grossed out.  I don't know whether to attribute the lack of excess skin to good genes, luck or the IF/fasting I've been doing.  Fung and others who are proponents of fasting say that the autophagy that takes place can get rid of the excess skin/skin cells.  There's a somewhat famous story of the Scottish guy who fasted for 382 days.  Guy lost 276 pounds and supposedly his skin shrunk with him.  So, I don't know what to attribute it to.  One thing I have noticed in the last month is my veins have started popping out in my arms and legs.  I laugh at myself at the gym getting "pumped" and having my veins pop out - not even sure why but it cracks me up.  I do plan to do some longer fasts later this year - both for longevity but also to see if I notice any difference in my skin.  I'm considering a week long fast after I get back from the beach in fact.

Day 30/100

Weigh-in day. I got off work at 7:30 this morning. Got home a little after 8, threw on my swim trunks and knocked out 35 minutes of laps. Going to sleep until 4:30 or so and get up to go to work again. I’ll weigh myself when I wake up.

Bank: $300

Anyone eat cottage cheese regularly?  I can't recall the last time I had if ever, but I picked some up from the greatest store in the world.    I threw in some blueberries and it makes for a really nice snack.   I'd recommend giving it a shot if you've never had it and you're looking for healthy snacks to add to your routine.  

Anyone eat cottage cheese regularly?  I can't recall the last time I had if ever, but I picked some up from the greatest store in the world.    I threw in some blueberries and it makes for a really nice snack.   I'd recommend giving it a shot if you've never had it and you're looking for healthy snacks to add to your routine.  
I eat cottage cheese with some sort of fruit about five times per week. It's a midday staple. 

Weighed in at 218.0. That’s a 5.4lb loss. Not what I was hoping for, but that’s ok. I can see a big difference already, and someone told me last night that I was starting to get buffed out, so I know I’ve put on muscle weight. I’ve definitely got room for improvement in my diet, so we’ll see what happens after another 30 days.

I only started eating it a few months ago and love it. Cucumbers, scallions and cherry tomatoes thrown in.

Weighed in at 218.0. That’s a 5.4lb loss. Not what I was hoping for, but that’s ok. I can see a big difference already, and someone told me last night that I was starting to get buffed out, so I know I’ve put on muscle weight. I’ve definitely got room for improvement in my diet, so we’ll see what happens after another 30 days.
Have you changed your diet at all or just this exercise routine?   >5 lbs lost and $300 richer.  I'd take it.

Have you changed your diet at all or just this exercise routine?   >5 lbs lost and $300 richer.  I'd take it.
I actually scaled back how strict I was diet-wise. The biggest thing I’m doing now is a lot more intermittent fasting, and I’m definitely watching calories. I was doing keto, and it worked great for me last year, but for whatever reason I wasn’t seeing results when I tried it again a couple of months ago. Now, if I want something, I’ll eat it, but I definitely account for it calorie-wise.

One thing I did learn doing keto is that I would hang on to a ton of water after working out, and also after working at my job. After a couple days off, I would drop a few pounds of water weight. I suspect that my current weight would drop in a similar manner if I took a few days off from the program, but I’m not going to.

@AAABatteries well done friend, really well done.  I've been meandering around the last 2 years in the pretty fat, but not horrible zone, and I've finally gotten into a good routine the last month.  Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be feeling great about myself again.

Curious for those who workout/lift, how's your strength holding up as you get older?  I've lifted on and off the last 2 years but find that once I get back into it my strength comes back fairly quickly.  I'm dreading the day when I see my age reflected in the amount of weight on the bar.

Yes by all means cut out the good habits that support your activity level. 

Yes by all means cut out the good habits that support your activity level. 
Still gonna go to the gym GB just lighten the weights by a few lbs. Last time I rolled off the proteins and creatine I had all sorts of muscle injuries. It’s like I couldn’t sustain without. 

James Daulton said:
@AAABatteries well done friend, really well done.  I've been meandering around the last 2 years in the pretty fat, but not horrible zone, and I've finally gotten into a good routine the last month.  Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be feeling great about myself again.

Curious for those who workout/lift, how's your strength holding up as you get older?  I've lifted on and off the last 2 years but find that once I get back into it my strength comes back fairly quickly.  I'm dreading the day when I see my age reflected in the amount of weight on the bar.
Seems like some lifts and some muscle groups are impacted by age.  My squat will never be what it was ten years ago when I was 40.  But, legs in general seem almost as strong.  Overall, strength is pretty good for most muscle groups, except for delts.   My shoulders do not move the weight that they did ten years ago no matter what I try.  

Still gonna go to the gym GB just lighten the weights by a few lbs. Last time I rolled off the proteins and creatine I had all sorts of muscle injuries. It’s like I couldn’t sustain without. 
Shocking, I mean things that help rebuild and fuel muscles help activities that use that muscle.  

Day 31/100

Worked last night, and recruited one of the other nurses to jump in on this 30-day set. We decided to walk the stairwell, down to the sub-parking level, then up to the top floor, then back down to ours. All told, my tracker put it at 18 floors. I had done it once before quite awhile ago, and it was wayyyyyy easier this time around. Guess I'm in a little better shape than last time. Got to bed about 9am this morning- must have been tired, because I slept until 6pm. I have the Peachtree Road Race (10k) coming up on Thursday, so I decided to get my last real distance training day in today. Ended up covering 7 miles total (ran 5.2, walked 1.8). Counting everything after midnight last night, I'm just over 20k steps for the day.

Bank: $310

I always wondered if the stuff really made any difference. It surely does. 
It just depends on your goals.  If your goals are to build muscle then it helps.  If your goals are to lose weight then it probably does not.  I mean, it by itself isn't going to do it.  But if you're fence riding between building muscle and losing weight then you're more likely to diet cheat to ensure your body is sufficiently fueled to lift.  Must define goals then map out a plan though.

I don't use creatine anymore, but my strength training goals aren't (usually) to build muscle.  It's to maintain.  When my goals were more strength based creatine played a role in getting my body ready between lifts though.  Now, if I'm doing a cut then I'm sure to give myself 72 hours minimum between lifts for most muscle groups.  I'm not going to be consuming as many foods that promote the rebuilding/fueling process, so I don't expect my body to be ready in the 48 hour timeline I've grown accustom.  If I'm building then the foods that are in my diet but not on a strict daily basis become daily staples - cottage cheese, greens, eggs, quinoa and beans, meat at both lunch and dinner rather than just dinner, etc.  Usually I'm somewhere in between with a running goal front and center.  Those are the edges though.

But ultimately, it just comes back to one central theme - goals.  Define them, road map how you will accomplish them, then sustain them.  If your road map is not sustainable then it's not a good one.

My goals are still to put on a little more muscle, but also to shed ~30lbs of fat. But I’ve gotten to the point where I’m starting to be too heavy, so cutting the supplements and starting next week hitting a serious fat loss effort. Potato hack is ON. Then when I eventually have lost a bunch of weight, I’ll take another run at heavy lifting and trying to build a little more muscle. 

My goals are still to put on a little more muscle, but also to shed ~30lbs of fat. But I’ve gotten to the point where I’m starting to be too heavy, so cutting the supplements and starting next week hitting a serious fat loss effort. Potato hack is ON. Then when I eventually have lost a bunch of weight, I’ll take another run at heavy lifting and trying to build a little more muscle. 
You're setting yourself up for failure again.  it's the Otis way.  Full Bale or Full Bloatis.  But it's why you always fail.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but for someone with an established strength base it's at least exceptionally difficult to lose weight and build muscle simultaneously.  If it's to be attained it would take on point discipline for it to potentially result.  As you know you're not disciplined.  So, pick one goal.  You did above (weight), but if you're to be successful then forget about building strength.  Especially if the means at which you're going to lose weight is potato hacking.  Be happy if you maintain strength, but accept that you will probably lose some.  If you at least maintain consistent sessions your strength will bounce back quickly whenever your diet returns to normal though.  Your normal diet also needs to be addressed because your normal diet is why you always fail, but that's a topic for post potato hack; not now.

You're setting yourself up for failure again.  it's the Otis way.  Full Bale or Full Bloatis.  But it's why you always fail.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but for someone with an established strength base it's at least exceptionally difficult to lose weight and build muscle simultaneously.  If it's to be attained it would take on point discipline for it to potentially result.  As you know you're not disciplined.  So, pick one goal.  You did above (weight), but if you're to be successful then forget about building strength.  Especially if the means at which you're going to lose weight is potato hacking.  Be happy if you maintain strength, but accept that you will probably lose some.  If you at least maintain consistent sessions your strength will bounce back quickly whenever your diet returns to normal though.  Your normal diet also needs to be addressed because your normal diet is why you always fail, but that's a topic for post potato hack; not now.
No, I get that. I’m saying I’m going to stop trying to gain muscle while I’m losing weight. I realize that’s impossible. I’m saying I’m going into weight loss mode and will continue to lift but lower weight, higher reps, only to maintain. Then once I’ve lost a bunch of weight, maybe in a few months, I’ll switch back to bulking mode, to try and build up muscle again and not worry so much about the scale. That’s the idea anyway. 

I'd normally say go for 2 lbs a week but why screw around.   Let's double that to 4.  You'll be ripped up in time for your big annual labor day bash.   

I'd normally say go for 2 lbs a week but why screw around.   Let's double that to 4.  You'll be ripped up in time for your big annual labor day bash.   
:highfive:

2.5lbs per week is the way to go.  10lbs per month, totally doable.

Users who are viewing this thread