What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

I mean getting your elbows out past your forehead is a good way to dramatically raise the difficulty.  It shouldn't cause balance issues if a simple plank is mastered.
I'm up to a 95 second plank Once I hit 120 seconds, I'm going to inch my arms forward.   Thanks for the good info.   

I have also being doing some crunches and leg raises after the plank.   I need to work on my core and protect my suspect back.    

I'm just impressed you didn't wake up the day after and didn't say 'ow.' No schtick.
Oh i was sore but manageable - 

I was a pretty good athlete through college and early adulthood and a workout warrior.

I was in VERY good shape in college.  I'll never be a guy that when i get back into shape will say I'm in the best shape of my life.  :)

I know WHAT to do. Even if the times and studies have changed a little.

I'm just almost 50, 30 pounds heavier and literally dont work out anymore....

So its going to be a slow turn.  I am trying but I just don't dedicate myself enough tbh....   

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of not winning, my week has been a disaster.  Well, mostly just Wednesday and Thursday were, but they were such epic disasters that nothing could be done to salvage this week from their damage.  Stupid San Francisco and all its great restaurants and wine.  Luckily for me, I can't weigh in Monday (still traveling and no access to a scale), so I'll have a week to try to make up for it.

Yeah I've gone completely off the rails this week and this weekend probably won't get better. Oh well.
You and I seem to have been on a similar timeline and trajectory, so it’s fitting that we go off the rails the same week.  I should report that, despite my general piggishness this week, I’ve at least kept up on the planking.  Day 11 in the books today.

How are some of the success stories like Gawain, DW, and others doing?

You all are letting November happen. This is when most of us get fat. Don't be a statistic. If you are already aware of problems ahead then game plan around it. Don't be mentally soft and check out. 

You all are letting November happen. This is when most of us get fat. Don't be a statistic. If you are already aware of problems ahead then game plan around it. Don't be mentally soft and check out. 
I’m really struggling mentally - I absolutely know it’s the time change and weather.  I’ve managed to keep running and have a long run planned for tomorrow morning - that’s keeping me in the game right now, along with IF.

Meh, November is having no effect on me.  Being on a business trip for 11 days during which Mr. krista joined me for the crucial San Francisco portion killed me, which I mentioned in advance would happen.  Kept with the planks along the way as well as keeping the cardio up, and am right back at the better eating today.   :shrug:  

I’ve decided I’m gonna be a runner guy. Gonna stop lifting for a while; maybe I’ll just do push ups. 

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers. The knee no longer hurts, and I’m going to attribute my recent soreness to simple lack of use of all those muscles in the past decade, and start over in C25K.  

Given my body composition, I don’t need more muscle. I need to get lean. I’m going to stop lifting. I’m going to start running 4 or 5 times a week. Build up gradually. And hopefully lose weight and get fit. 

Advice welcomed. 

:lmao:

too bad you live on the other side of the country.  I’m doing hot yoga in the morning and this new version of @Otis would freaking love it.  No better scenery than a hot yoga class, at the most expensive gym in south Orange County, on a Saturday morning. Bonus!  I get a hell of a workout and sweat my ### off. Last week, While doing my plank challenges, I had 3-4 ladies come up and ask me what I was doing. Good times. 

I’ve decided I’m gonna be a runner guy. Gonna stop lifting for a while; maybe I’ll just do push ups. 

This weekend I plan to get an Apple Watch and go to the running store and get a pair of running sneakers. The knee no longer hurts, and I’m going to attribute my recent soreness to simple lack of use of all those muscles in the past decade, and start over in C25K.  

Given my body composition, I don’t need more muscle. I need to get lean. I’m going to stop lifting. I’m going to start running 4 or 5 times a week. Build up gradually. And hopefully lose weight and get fit. 

Advice welcomed. 
The best exercise plan (like diet) is one you can maintain. Body weight exercises and running are a good combo, but will only work if you enjoy them to some extent.

The best exercise plan (like diet) is one you can maintain. Body weight exercises and running are a good combo, but will only work if you enjoy them to some extent.
Having recently started running for a couple weeks, I was really starting to enjoy it.  I need to make sure the knee won’t be an issue going forward, but if I take it slow I assume it’ll strengthen and I’ll work past it.  I may have just tried to do too much too quickly.  

Advice welcomed. 
Keep lifting 2x per week, but veer the regimen away from strength building. It's maintenance. It won't help you get faster, but it will help you stay healthier. 

Having recently started running for a couple weeks, I was really starting to enjoy it.  I need to make sure the knee won’t be an issue going forward, but if I take it slow I assume it’ll strengthen and I’ll work past it.  I may have just tried to do too much too quickly.  
Great. You may want to try running on a softer surface, like a track, or trail running to spare your knees a bit. The former is pretty boring though, but I guess it’s better than a treadmill. Also, if you have access to water, swimming is great exercise.

I just spent three and a half hours doing leaves holy crap am I out of shape I am so sore right now I can barely stand up

So sore, from shirtless, hot yoga.  Love it!   Burned 989 calories in an hour and change.  This time, the instructor, commented on my planks after class.  They’re starting to get obnoxiously long  

There was a nice pervy article in the NYT on hot flow yoga, and the gym I belong to, LIFETIME.  I’ve been touched once, by an instructor. And it was a dude. :mellow:    :pickle:

So sore, from shirtless, hot yoga.  Love it!   Burned 989 calories in an hour and change.  This time, the instructor, commented on my planks after class.  They’re starting to get obnoxiously long  

There was a nice pervy article in the NYT on hot flow yoga, and the gym I belong to, LIFETIME.  I’ve been touched once, by an instructor. And it was a dude. :mellow:    :pickle:
I’ve been told that hot yoga can bring a woman to climax. True. 

Finally getting started. Hiked a moderate trail on Mt. Si Yesterday. Was about 5 miles. First Peloton ride completed today (20 minute beginner ride). I think I’m going to stick with it this time. Starting weight is about 265. Really should be no more than 180. Goal one will be sub 250 by the end of the year. If it takes me that long I’ll be disappointed. At my size I should be able to drop 15 really quick. Stretch goal will be 240 by year end.

So I’m not even going to weight myself for a while. Back on the running kick, went this morning and the knee feels great. I think it may have been the new sneakers that did me in. Going to throw them in the trash; have some other new ones on the way. But I’m just going to run and keep alcohol down and eat sensibly and see what happens. 

You never see a fat guy who runs a lot. 

Hurt my back in the climbing gym a couple days ago, and was temporarily derailed from the plank challenge.

Tonight I did catch-up sets of 100, 110 and 120 seconds. That was pretty tough, but I'm officially back on track.

Finally getting started. Hiked a moderate trail on Mt. Si Yesterday. Was about 5 miles. First Peloton ride completed today (20 minute beginner ride). I think I’m going to stick with it this time. Starting weight is about 265. Really should be no more than 180. Goal one will be sub 250 by the end of the year. If it takes me that long I’ll be disappointed. At my size I should be able to drop 15 really quick. Stretch goal will be 240 by year end.
Which trail?  Little Si, maybe (it’s about five miles)?

What’s the starting duration?

Do a plank everyday, starting duration to be determined. Increase the time, every day, by 5-10 seconds, until you hit 5 minutes. 

Plank challenge

i did a low low plank last time. Low or high?

Oh, OK!  I will do this, too.  

What I did before was on an app.  I think if you search "30 day plank" in the App Store it comes up.  The icon looks like this, and the landing page like this.  There are beginner, intermediate, and expert options; first time I did the beginner and this time (starting today) I'll do the intermediate.  It's not just holding one plank but rotating through a bunch of different types.  On Day 30 of the beginner, you get about 12 minutes of total planking IIRC.  Looks like there will be 18 minutes total on Day 30 of the intermediate.   :scared:   The side planks with arms straight absolutely killed me.

Anyway, I'm going to do that plus separately will do the one you're describing on days it's not already covered in my daily planks on the app.  

ETA:  Also anyone should please join in the app one, too, if you wish!
Bumping per request above.

DA RAIDERS and I are doing the latter, and DA RAIDERS and a bunch of others are doing the former, I think.  I ended up doing the beginner level on the app again, but DA is doing intermediate.  I finished Day 15 today - halfway there!  It featured straight-arm plank, regular plank, then my nemesis the side plank with arm raised on each side, then more regular planking, then DA RAIDERS's nemesis the reverse plank.  Whew!

Just noticed thread title change.   :lmao:   I'm not sure where I fall right now.  On the bad side, I had another business meeting last night that involved drinking a bottle of wine and eating...god knows what.  On the good side, I go home from this trip tomorrow and am done with all that.  Also on the good side, I realized when I went to bed last night that I had inadvertently pulled off my jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping them, so there's that.

Bumping per request above.

DA RAIDERS and I are doing the latter, and DA RAIDERS and a bunch of others are doing the former, I think.  I ended up doing the beginner level on the app again, but DA is doing intermediate.  I finished Day 15 today - halfway there!  It featured straight-arm plank, regular plank, then my nemesis the side plank with arm raised on each side, then more regular planking, then DA RAIDERS's nemesis the reverse plank.  Whew!
I am doing both. Today’s reverse plank was a minute long. Not cool man, not cool. 

It was Talus Loop so a little short of 5 miles. Still felt like it was straight up. I’m not used to hiking up hills yet.
I’ve never done that one but know it.  Make Little Si your next, maybe?  It’s a lovely hike; does have some steep parts but not for long.  Good for you - I’m excited to have another WA hiker in here!

Was nervous for weigh-in today.  I didn't feel fatter, but given two completely off-the-rails days each of the last two weeks during my trip, and OK-but-not-great days the rest of the time, I had reason to worry.  However:

9/9:  Embarrassing starting weight

9/16:  -6.0 lbs

9/23:  -3.0 lbs

9/30:  -2.2 lbs

10/7:  -3.0 lbs

10/14:  +1.0 lb  

10/21:  -4.4 lbs

10/28:  -1.4 lbs

11/4:  -2.0 lbs

11/10:  -1.0 lbs

[missed week]

11/25:  -2.4 lbs

Total through 11 weeks:  -24.4 lbs

:excited:   My only explanation is that I really amped up my exercise during that time to try to make up for what I knew could be bad weeks; I pretty much doubled my usual activity.  Also kept up the planking (Day 21 today), which doesn't affect weight loss but does seem to contribute to overall better health and energy.

Users who are viewing this thread