What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (11 Viewers)

Hardest part of dieting for me is the alcohol.  Such empty calories and a few drinks blows through a lot of work for a whole week.  However, there is no ####### way I am giving it up so guess I need to work out harder.  

10k in 41:40

64,492 total.

Best get in a late night session @Otis - can’t imagine one has anything better to do with a Friday night.

Also, a black tie wedding at the end of March has me gunning for this piece of advice: Buy a tuxedo before you are thirty. Stay that size.

I need to rededicate myself.  More in terms of eating better than specifically losing weight, although they are interrelated.

I’m down 25 pounds since March, but have plateaued.  Basically been between 305-310 range for the past 3 months.  Haven’t really been dieting, just more conscious of how much I’ve been eating.  

I’ve developed an excess of protein in my urine issue as a result of my cancer treatment.  Figure it would be advisable to reduce my protein intake and incorporate more veggie and fruits in my protein heavy diet.  Not sure if there is a direct correlation but it can’t hurt.

5k in 19:22.4 - a new personal record 

69,492 total. 

@Otis get the credit card and shot glass ready. 
It’s not a contest right?  Like, we just have to make 100k and we’re ok???

I got some #### news that I have to spend four days this coming week out of town for work. So, I’ll be losing ground on you this week for sure. 

I cheated and weighed myself two days early today, because I was so close to losing 30 lbs that I wanted to know.  I had lost 30.4.

Plot twist:  proceeded to eat and drink like it was the last day on Earth.  (See, e.g., "what would you do with your last day" thread.)  Actual weigh in MMV.

It’s not a contest right?  Like, we just have to make 100k and we’re ok???

I got some #### news that I have to spend four days this coming week out of town for work. So, I’ll be losing ground on you this week for sure. 
Your credit card is safe if you make it to 100k. Gotta win to keep the video camera turned off. 

To make it interesting:

For every meter below 100K we pay a cent to the charity of one another's choosing. Unless my math is wrong (possible) if we do nothing we each owe a grand - get to 75,000 meters, $250 bucks, etc.

Loser either posts a running video or a shot video

Days 12/13 of 100

Diet has been crap, but my bday was Friday, so I'm ok with it. Christmas party later today won't help either.... before we went out for my bday, I forced myself to get out for a run. It was cold. And raining. But I did it. 25min run, in some nasty stuff, but I got it in. That was 3 days of running in a row, and I was feeling it, so today I just took a good long walk with my two dogs, who do not do well on the leash. i definitely broke a sweat.

Hopefully, this Christmas get-together won't last very long, and I can hit the gym. It closes at 6, so if I miss it, I'll run.

Bank: $130

Your credit card is safe if you make it to 100k. Gotta win to keep the video camera turned off. 

To make it interesting:

For every meter below 100K we pay a cent to the charity of one another's choosing. Unless my math is wrong (possible) if we do nothing we each owe a grand - get to 75,000 meters, $250 bucks, etc.

Loser either posts a running video or a shot video
Hmm. I took loser to mean he who does not make 100k.  But I see your interpretation now. I was not really competing with you specifically for that reason. I’m going to be in a real hole after this week.  Yikes. But I’ll try. 

Had my 3rd Christmas party this week. Went off the rails tonight. Drinking and eating 
Attending my third X Mas party of the season tonight.  As mentioned around Halloween, this time of the year is really difficult to lose weight so it is impressive for those of you that are making it happen.  I think that I am holding steady and don't get on the scale much.  

Fortunately, tonight's party is going to be very stuffy and I don't plan on hanging around long enough to eat or drink much.  I plan on working out this morning to try to burn off some calories too.  

I just want to emphasize how impressive Krista’s weight loss is. One of us big lugs losing that much is one thing, but she’s a small person. You must feel like a million bucks. Awesome stuff. 

I’ve done nothing good in terms of diet lately. My recent positive change was taking my regular weight lifting routine and converting it to a regular cardio routine. Once I iron out my eating habits, it’s off to the races. 

Hmm. I took loser to mean he who does not make 100k.  But I see your interpretation now. I was not really competing with you specifically for that reason. I’m going to be in a real hole after this week.  Yikes. But I’ll try. 
Heh yeah I realized it was open to that interpretation - that’s fine. Just get to 100k!

I was going to ask how you were doing.  What is your weigh-in day?  This is a tough time of year to start this up!
Monday. I was doing ok. Until last night.

To be honest I knew these weeks would be tough so I'm ok if it doesn't happen but overall if was an ok week but I blew it up last night :)

plus I'm getting over bronchitis or something so work outs have been low

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to emphasize how impressive Krista’s weight loss is. One of us big lugs losing that much is one thing, but she’s a small person. You must feel like a million bucks. Awesome stuff. 

I’ve done nothing good in terms of diet lately. My recent positive change was taking my regular weight lifting routine and converting it to a regular cardio routine. Once I iron out my eating habits, it’s off to the races. 
That's so kind of you, but it makes the fact I gained the weight in the first place even more inexcusable.  I do have a small frame, which is why I put my goal weight on the very low side of the "normal" BMI for my height.

But yeah, overall it’s harder to lose this much than it would be for the 200 pound guys.  

I have a question for the maf guys, is the max heart rate 180-age?  That's what it looks like on the website, but I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Day 14/100

Went to the in-laws for early Christmas after getting very little sleep. Got home, took a quick nap, but I knew I had to get my activity in. Headed out at 8, intending to just do 30 mins or so. Started running and didn't check my tracker. Got to my first stopping point, felt good, so I just kept going. That happened 3-4 more times. Ended up running for 54mins and almost exactly 5 miles. Did a 6 min cool down just to get to an even hour. Combined with my steps after midnight at work last night, I ended up at almost 19k for the 24 hour period.

Diet: Not great, but not as bad as it could have been. 

Bank: $140

I have a question for the maf guys, is the max heart rate 180-age?  That's what it looks like on the website, but I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing.
Yes, although there are some updward or downward adjustments they make on that number depending upon what kind of shape you're in and whether you've already been training for a while or not.  But generally, that's the number.

December 16 Row: 10,043 m 

Total distance so far: 75,630m 

Didn't do MAF, finished in 46:54.  It was actually a mix because I was trying to do MAF, but I could't get my heart rate above 120 (despite that I was rowing pretty hard).  Then 20 mins in suddenly in a matter of seconds in jumped to 160.  I suspect my watch was loose or something.  Anyway, so I abandoned MAF and just rowed.  

I have to go to upstate NY for the rest of the week -- in the dead of winter yay, and on a work trip I have zero interest in making -- but I'll be home on the 21st, and with less than 25k to go, I should have no problem making 100k.

Week 1 : -4

Week 2 : +1.2  

I know wrong direction - 3 holiday parties with a big one Saturday and fighting a chest cold - I'll take it as a small win lol

Yes, although there are some updward or downward adjustments they make on that number depending upon what kind of shape you're in and whether you've already been training for a while or not.  But generally, that's the number.
Look at Oats dropping the knowledge.

Yes, here are the adjustments:

The 180 Formula

To find your maximum aerobic training heart rate, there are two important steps.

Subtract your age from 180.

Modify this number by selecting among the following categories the one that best matches your fitness and health profile:

a)  If you have or are recovering from a major illness (heart disease, any operation or hospital stay, etc.) or are on any regular medication, subtract an additional 10.

b)  If you are injured, have regressed in training or competition, get more than two colds or bouts of flu per year, have allergies or asthma, or if you have been inconsistent or are just getting back into training, subtract an additional 5.

c)  If you have been training consistently (at least four times weekly) for up to two years without any of the problems in (a) and (b), keep the number (180–age) the same.

d)  If you have been training for more than two years without any of the problems in (a) and (b), and have made progress in competition without injury, add 5.

@krista4

Does the WW stuff differ much between males and females?  I'm assuming males get more WW points to use, right?  Are the macros/splits different for protein, carbs, etc.?  

krista4 said:
That's so kind of you, but it makes the fact I gained the weight in the first place even more inexcusable.  I do have a small frame, which is why I put my goal weight on the very low side of the "normal" BMI for my height.

But yeah, overall it’s harder to lose this much than it would be for the 200 pound guys.  
Funny girl.   Most of them wish they were 200 pound guys.  

10k in 47:40.7 average HR = 148

79,492  total.
On the bright side, did my 10k faster than yours today!  And at a lower average HR (142)! Progress, you’ve been thrashing me in every row so far, I’ll take some little victories. Though you’re ahead by like 5k right now and will finish way way further ahead after I fall behind this week.  

Is there a consensus on what’s the best easy thing to do for lunch? Pre-made salad? Smoothie? Something else?

Weekdays it’s just black coffee in the morning, row in the AM/mid-day then break the fast with something hopefully healthy. Dinner is usually whatever I want - then nothing after that (6ish hour eating window usually). 

I am supremely lazy when it comes to both shopping and prepping so willing to pay for something ‘easy’ for weekday lunches.

Is there a consensus on what’s the best easy thing to do for lunch? Pre-made salad? Smoothie? Something else?

Weekdays it’s just black coffee in the morning, row in the AM/mid-day then break the fast with something hopefully healthy. Dinner is usually whatever I want - then nothing after that (6ish hour fast usually). 

I am supremely lazy when it comes to both shopping and prepping so willing to pay for something ‘easy’ for weekday lunches.
Do you have access to a fridge?  If so:

1. Chobani yogurt (I recommend raspberry)

2. Nature Valley high-protein granola

3. Blueberries

4. Baby carrots

5. 1% milk

6. Oh, and a Honeycrisp apple.  Forgot the apple.  It's like dessert.

Lots of protein, low calories, keeps you going during the afternoon.  Minimal prep on the weekend, can carry you through the week.

Weekdays it’s just black coffee in the morning, row in the AM/mid-day then break the fast with something hopefully healthy. Dinner is usually whatever I want - then nothing after that (6ish hour fast usually). 

So with you. I skip lunch in part because I’m lazy and in part because I don’t find the breaks in my day often. Today I struggled to get a chance to take a leak and grab a coffee from the pantry 75 feet away.  I’m also just usually not hungry. But I tell you, I arrived home with a headache tonight after starting the day with a 10k row and just having coffee all day. Had a delicious healthy dinner (thanks Mrs O!) and some chocolate dessert thing she made, along with some white wine spritzers (I know, I know). Feeling good. 

I cheated and weighed myself two days early today, because I was so close to losing 30 lbs that I wanted to know.  I had lost 30.4.

Plot twist:  proceeded to eat and drink like it was the last day on Earth.  (See, e.g., "what would you do with your last day" thread.)  Actual weigh in MMV.
Time to break out that old BullDolls uniform 

:cry:  

Actual 12/16 weigh-in:  -1.4 lbs

Total through 14 weeks:  -29.6 lbs

Day 15/100

30mins on the elliptical, followed by some lifting.

PS: Is there a merit badge for needing nipple band-aids from chafing?

Bank:$150

Tecumseh said:
Day 15/100

30mins on the elliptical, followed by some lifting.

PS: Is there a merit badge for needing nipple band-aids from chafing?

Bank:$150
Still keeping up on the Tecumseh challenge with you.  I'm through Day 18 today, doing boring stuff every day but enough to keep up the challenge. 

I've also completed 18 days of my team challenge and hanging in there.  I'm pretty much stuck right at the top 25% percentile of the challenge participants, which will be just fine.  The person at the top has 308 miles in 17 days.  Sheesh.

Zigg said:
Here is a good link that explains the whole process.

For me, the 180-age thing doesn't work. My max heart rate is really high - about 198 or so. 

So based on my age, my aerobic zone is about 148, which is about right. This is where I feel the most comfortable when doing my slow runs. If I use the 180 formula, I'd be running at 130.

For me, that is walking. So it helps to know your max heart rate.

But for starting out, the 180 formula generally works. For someone new to running, this is a good way to go out because it will be awhile before you will ever know your max heart rate. And until you get some fitness, it can be really dangerous to try and exert yourself to learn your max heart rate.

Here is a good link that explains the whole process.

For me, the 180-age thing doesn't work. My max heart rate is really high - about 198 or so. 

So based on my age, my aerobic zone is about 148, which is about right. This is where I feel the most comfortable when doing my slow runs. If I use the 180 formula, I'd be running at 130.

For me, that is walking. So it helps to know your max heart rate.

But for starting out, the 180 formula generally works. For someone new to running, this is a good way to go out because it will be awhile before you will ever know your max heart rate. And until you get some fitness, it can be really dangerous to try and exert yourself to learn your max heart rate.
Thanks, I've read that, but I'm only concerned with the running part.  I've been running since February, and lost 25 pounds and have gotten much faster.  I did my first two maf workouts and they were slow, but that's ok but I don't want to power walk for too long. 

The thing I found weird was I would walk at 4.5 mph at my allowed heart rate, but when I changed to a very slow jog at the same speed, my heart rate would jump to 160+, despite it feeling easier.  I just want to get to a slow jog, walking is embarrassing.  

Day 16/100

Woke up about 6pm today after working last night. Made it until about 8, then started losing vision and seeing fractals. A f'n migraine on the way. Went back to bed and closed my eyes until about 10. When I got up, I still had a headache, but it wasn't too bad. Had to keep the streak alive, so I headed out to the gym. Did 30mins on the treadmill at 4.1mph and 4.5 incline, then did an arms and shoulders workout. Tomorrow I think I'm going to try a group class that combines yoga and pilates. I've heard the word, but I have no idea what pilates is. Guess I'll find out...

Bank: $160

I’m going to swim upstream here and start my diet today.  Basically going back to no sugar, limit carbs and want to try and go no caffeine for a while.

LET’S GO!!!!
Important week here. Bad decisions were made Sat-Mon and more will be made this Sat. To limit the damage from next Tues-Fri need to be on point (Sat withstanding) between yesterday and then. 

Otis said:
So with you. I skip lunch in part because I’m lazy and in part because I don’t find the breaks in my day often. Today I struggled to get a chance to take a leak and grab a coffee from the pantry 75 feet away.  I’m also just usually not hungry. But I tell you, I arrived home with a headache tonight after starting the day with a 10k row and just having coffee all day. Had a delicious healthy dinner (thanks Mrs O!) and some chocolate dessert thing she made, along with some white wine spritzers (I know, I know). Feeling good. 
Do the prep on Sunday. During the week just grab what you already prepped out of the fridge. 

Users who are viewing this thread