What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

I think the bolded nails it for me.  I'm not overweight because I eat to much turkey.  Or Broccoli.  Or cheese.  I'm overweight because of the heavy carbs and ice cream and cookies and chocolate etc.  If I made this singular change, just giving up sugar, and continue otherwise doing my thing, I bet I'd get fit fast.  

💡
Watch that elegant video @gianmarco linked to earlier this month. 

I am heading to The Breakers at the end of this week at my all time heaviest.  :bag:

10 pounds will leave my body in the next 96 hours.

krista4 said:
Tomorrow's weigh-in is going to be a disaster.  :scared:  
No it’s not. It’s just a benchmark on your journey. It may not be what you want right now, but recognizing it’s not where you want to be and knowing why you’re where you are and what you need to change that is already a win.

And you already know that you can achieve success by doing what you know is healthy for you. Nobody does anything perfect all the time and our roads are never straight. What’a important is to afford yourself some grace and making your next step one in the right direction.

No it’s not. It’s just a benchmark on your journey. It may not be what you want right now, but recognizing it’s not where you want to be and knowing why you’re where you are and what you need to change that is already a win.

And you already know that you can achieve success by doing what you know is healthy for you. Nobody does anything perfect all the time and our roads are never straight. What’a important is to afford yourself some grace and making your next step one in the right direction.
Very sweet sentiment.

Hey, you gonna eat that?

krista4 said:
Tomorrow's weigh-in is going to be a disaster.  :scared:  
Zero benefit to tomorrow's weigh in. My next one is scheduled for Jan 9, give or take. By then I should have at least a few days of normal eating strung together and whatever excess water weight is hanging around will have fallen off. 

I’m determined to drop 15 or so and get leaner/stronger. Figuring out best program that Is cardiac health friendly. No processed stuff, very little red meat, etc. Limit all saturated fats a and low sodium. Going to cut sugars. I could do without carbs, but oatmeal etc good for the heart. Include or not?

Mostly fish, skinless chicken, ground turkey ,veggies, salad. What about lean, unprocessed pork?

Cutting drinking to 2 glasses of red wine no more than twice a week.  Gotta live.  Good for the heart. Should be able to resume exercise in the next week or two just walking a lot now  

I’m determined to drop 15 or so and get leaner/stronger.
Well, welcome to the thread where this kind of determination goes to die.

That said, welcome.  As to your questions, I'm no expert, but I'm planning on doing mostly what you're laying out here, with the highlight being giving up sugar and limiting alcohol intake; as to carbs, I'll limit them, but I won't give them up entirely, and will continue to have plenty of carbs from good sources -- fruits, vegetables, whole grains, quinoa, etc.

Good luck.  I'm determined to drop 20 or so and then drop some more.  This may just be my year.

123,080 total

@Otis any ideas on a January wager for motivation?? Gotta make 2020 the year of getting less fat. 
I'm so with you.  Yeah, let's do something.  Should we should do a distance competition?   Or like a 5k competition?  I don't even know how comparable our times are, my best was 21 and change the other day, I think you've been doing well below 20 mins for a 5k.  Maybe distance is the right play here, and the right way to keep us both motivated to keep at it.

I like the idea of loser donating to the winner's charity of choice.  Say $100?  But I'm open, throw out some ideas.

I’m determined to drop 15 or so and get leaner/stronger. Figuring out best program that Is cardiac health friendly. No processed stuff, very little red meat, etc. Limit all saturated fats a and low sodium. Going to cut sugars. I could do without carbs, but oatmeal etc good for the heart. Include or not?

Mostly fish, skinless chicken, ground turkey ,veggies, salad. What about lean, unprocessed pork?

Cutting drinking to 2 glasses of red wine no more than twice a week.  Gotta live.  Good for the heart. Should be able to resume exercise in the next week or two just walking a lot now  
Oatmeal and pork by themselves are fine, they may not be depending on how they are incorporated with the rest of your plan. And how processed your oatmeal. Also, qualify salad. Not for us; for yourself. Some salads are incredibly unhealthy. Many are. Start with the dressing (type and amount), cheese, and type of lettuce. 

Good luck!

December 1: 262.4. Haven’t figured out how not to undo all progress when I travel. I’m going into my busiest three months of the year. Have two west coast to east coast trips in December but no travel in Jan and Feb but really long hours. 

I’m comfortable on the Peloton now. No more seat pain and bought some weights. Had been considering a rower until I came in here and saw all the rower talk. Don’t know if I need that with the Peloton.

Probably no more hiking until the spring.
Didn’t come close to meeting my goals for December. Got as low as 252 but will finish the year around 255. Currently at 2 weeks without a soda which is a big deal for me. Some days that’s all I would drink. Haven’t got into the routine I need with exercise. I ride the Peloton a couple times a week but not very long at this point. I did go for a 6 am walk/run around the lake this morning so that may be a better fit. We’ll see if I can stick with it.  No travel until Feb 27 which is where I usually mess up so hoping to keep working towards healthier eating and trying to get into a sustainable exercise routine. 

Planning to start a point counting system (iTrackBites - free WW knockoff) on Jan 1st. I get 34 points per day. Looking for some snacks/ideas to get me through the tough times. So far, I've got...

Perky Jerky - 3 points per 2oz bag

Nabisco Good Thins - 3 points per 41 crackers

Built Bar - 1.6 points per bar

Dogfish Slightly Mighty IPA - 1.6 points per can (less than half of a white claw)

Any other items you recommend?

Otis said:
I'm so with you.  Yeah, let's do something.  Should we should do a distance competition?   Or like a 5k competition?  I don't even know how comparable our times are, my best was 21 and change the other day, I think you've been doing well below 20 mins for a 5k.  Maybe distance is the right play here, and the right way to keep us both motivated to keep at it.

I like the idea of loser donating to the winner's charity of choice.  Say $100?  But I'm open, throw out some ideas.
Distance works for me, but I have no real illusion to wanting to do other "types" of workouts in the immediate future which would likely be to my advantage. That said, if you want to put one more month into rowing I am game for a straight meter challenge*. $100 seems light as a motivating factor. Something like loser gives $500 to charity + $250 to the victor would probably be enough for me at least - though if we need to sweeten the pot for someone of your means....that probably can be arranged. Thanks, CYDY. 

Today 7x2x2 3,779. Max HR 193  :eek:

Total: 126,859

*Due to differences in times it seems hard to concoct an appropriate time based challenge without some sort of confusing handicapping system that would be both difficult to understand and to make fair so I'd shy away from that I think.

Planning to start a point counting system (iTrackBites - free WW knockoff) on Jan 1st. I get 34 points per day. Looking for some snacks/ideas to get me through the tough times. So far, I've got...

Dogfish Slightly Mighty IPA - 1.6 points per can (less than half of a white claw)

Nuts are pretty solid.  I like almonds, cashews (little higher in carbs though), etc.

Bacon

Canadian bacon in between two pieces of provolone cheese

Frozen blueberries

Water

Maybe I have a tapeworm.

12/23:  -2.6 lbs

Total through 15 weeks:  -32.2 lbs
12/30:  +0.6 lbs

Total through 16 weeks:  -31.6 lbs

Meh, I'll take it, after eating all the food, drinking all the wine, and doing none of the working out.  Speaking of which, I fell off the Tecumseh 100-day challenge on 12/26, though for good reason as I had to get up at 3:30 that morning, go to the airport, fly across the country, and then was hit with my whole family (and a lot of pizza) the moment I got to Louisville.  Literally zero time to fit in any workout, and I don't feel that I can count my run through the entirety of the Minneapolis airport to make my connection.  For good measure, since I'd already blown the challenge, I didn't do any activity on 12/27 either.  :)   Back to it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to keep myself honest.  I started 1 month and weigh the same.  It was obviously a tough month diet wise....

Week 1 : -4

Week 2 : +1.2  

Week 3:   - .5     

week 4:  +3 - hey it was up 8 at one point :)

Total:  Blutarsky GPA

Not a win but not a loss

My short term goal is to lose 15 pounds by 2/1 - slightly aggressive I know  maybe unrealistic.  - adjusted for realism

My full goal is 40 by 5/1 that would put me at 175.

Just to keep myself honest.  I started 1 month and weigh the same.  It was obviously a tough month diet wise....

Week 1 : -4

Week 2 : +1.2  

Week 3:   - .5     

week 4:  +3 - hey it was up 8 at one point :)

Total:  Blutarsky GPA

Not a win but not a loss

My short term goal is to lose 15 pounds by 2/1 - slightly aggressive I know  maybe unrealistic.  - adjusted for realism

My full goal is 40 by 5/1 that would put me at 175.
Keep the diet honest and continue to run routes in the shape of butts, and you will get there  :thumbup:

(I'm also willing to venture that your +3 for the week is still inflated by water weight, so you should get back on track quickly)

Let's talk more of this Slightly Mighty  IPA.   Any good?   

Distance works for me, but I have no real illusion to wanting to do other "types" of workouts in the immediate future which would likely be to my advantage. That said, if you want to put one more month into rowing I am game for a straight meter challenge*. $100 seems light as a motivating factor. Something like loser gives $500 to charity + $250 to the victor would probably be enough for me at least - though if we need to sweeten the pot for someone of your means....that probably can be arranged. Thanks, CYDY. 

Today 7x2x2 3,779. Max HR 193  :eek:

Total: 126,859

*Due to differences in times it seems hard to concoct an appropriate time based challenge without some sort of confusing handicapping system that would be both difficult to understand and to make fair so I'd shy away from that I think.
Damn, easy on that HR. 

I suppose I can punt one more month on lifting, or just try not to let it interfere with rowing, and I’m not going to run till I get checked out later this month anyway.  So maybe distance is the best bet. 

Maybe we do $500 to charity and $100 to the victor.  Though I’m motivated without the money. My fatness is motivating me plenty right now. 

Think I'm gonna hafta join you fine svelte folks in here this year. My BIL was explaining to my 9-year old nephew that "fat is where the flavor is" while we were cooking last week.  The 9-year old deadpanned, "Uncle Ron must be delicious, then".

I've always been a big guy, but the extra 20 turned into 30, then 40, then 50, and christ I suppose is up to about 80 extra pounds now. Time to do something about it.

Think I'm gonna hafta join you fine svelte folks in here this year. My BIL was explaining to my 9-year old nephew that "fat is where the flavor is" while we were cooking last week.  The 9-year old deadpanned, "Uncle Ron must be delicious, then".

I've always been a big guy, but the extra 20 turned into 30, then 40, then 50, and christ I suppose is up to about 80 extra pounds now. Time to do something about it.
There’s room for one more. But just barely.

Damn, easy on that HR. 

I suppose I can punt one more month on lifting, or just try not to let it interfere with rowing, and I’m not going to run till I get checked out later this month anyway.  So maybe distance is the best bet. 

Maybe we do $500 to charity and $100 to the victor.  Though I’m motivated without the money. My fatness is motivating me plenty right now. 
You are on. 

belljr said:
I am exactly where I started 1 month ago...

I didn't bother tracking this past week. So I'm "starting over".

All the parties and cakes and cookies are finished. I can make it through New year's easy.

It's official go time
I got back on track a few days ago which is before the typical Jan 2.   I felt like crap eating so much junk for a few weeks.   I'm not back to where I started a month ago but I'm headed in the right direction.   Let's all get on track now and stay on track.   

December 31 Row: 5k (21:39)

Total distance for December 2019: 100,672

Well I did it, cracked 100k for the month. Feels good. Happy new year all, let’s make 2020 the year we all hit our goals. 

Lost half a pound last week.  I basically ditched the diet except I avoided deserts and cookies that are sitting around but didn’t track anything. I did kill it on the Peloton though and pushed myself hard to make up for big meals. Happy how week turned out. This week will tough as well. Next week I am all in back on WW. 

3/12 - 239.9

6/26 - 209.4

Potato Hack for the win, and probably more importantly - not a drop of alcohol.  
Year-end up date:

12/31 - 190

Not as diligent with the no alcohol policy but keep moving along here.   Still utilizing the potato hack for 3-5 days, usually 5.   Then a round of 'regular eating' - cut out meat for most part, still have some.  I love Bacon.

Breakfast : Eggs in a wrap with sriracha or oatmeal with some frozen blueberries.

Lunch/Dinners :  Rotate thru green/red lentils or black beans (slow cooked) as the main protein, various sides. Made this great red lentil curry the other night.    Eating a lot of salads as well,  started to pickle some vegetables (red onions/carrots), I've found that including those with a little bit of olive oil on the greens works fine for me as the salad dressing.

Started doing this 20 min full body dumbbell workout after I got under 200lbs, last thing I needed was to get injured so held off til a manageable weight.

Goal is to get back down to 170.

Good luck to all of you with your journey in the new year.    Beach bodies are made in the Winter.

1/1 - 253.4 so down 9.2 in Dec - almost all in the last 2.5 weeks

January weight loss goal is 10 pounds so just over 2 pounds per week. Stretch goal is 13.4 pounds which I think is attainable due to my high starting weight. I’ve made wholesale changes in my diet over the last 2 weeks but still have room for improvement. I’m rotating between Peloton and walking/running for exercise with the goal of being more running than walking by the end of January. Jan/Feb are my busiest months of the year so maintaining a diet won’t be easy. Lunch will be at my desk and catered by the company so I’ll have to look for healthy options which aren’t always there so portion control will be key.

Good luck to everyone this year.

About to start cooking New Year's Day fare, nuthin' fancy - chicken and apple sauasage, roasted cauliflower, black-eyed peas (have been soaked overnight),  three pounds of spinach,  and 24 oz of Wright's bacon.  I'm going to Evelyn Wood a few creamed spinach recipes and then wing it with ingredients on hand.  There may be pics later.

Having a last lunch of sorts possibly with an adult beverage. Then we’re doing Dry January. NOW WITH FREE ROWING 
I'm ditching beer for 2020, and beyond I would expect.  I reasonably estimate that I spend $2,000 annually on it, so I'll do some Tecumseh like banking and put $40 a week into an envelope and perhaps reward myself with something come 2021.  Actually, probably better to set up a new savings account and electronically transfer the money.  What could go wrong with an envelope full of $20?

Users who are viewing this thread