What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

i am going to do something for october.  not sure what yet.  my injury and life(an excuse, i'm well aware) completely derailed my sept.  august was unreal!  sept?  not so much.  so back at it!  i think i may shell out the money for adriene's harder stuff.  not sure yet.  i may look at that alo moves stuff, which looks insane.

Good work and I would probably do the same (focus on the diet first then bring the exercise back) if it were me. 

For the pushups, I would much rather repeat a week than skip the 5th set. That 5th set is the most important one by far. That's where the strength gains are supposed to happen - the first set gets you tired, the second set is close to max reps, then you do two smaller sets to tire you out again and then that last set is supposed to be really hard. Increase your rest between sets, take two days off between push up days, repeat an earlier week... all of those will serve you better than skipping the last set imo. But remember...

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.
:thumbup:   Yeah I was thinking about either repeating a week soon (likely week 4) or moving down to the left most column instead).  Not sure which is best, and haven’t looked ahead to see the other weeks or what would make the most sense.  But I have no doubt I’ll have to start repeating weeks soon, and I suppose week 4 is a good as any. 

Good work and I would probably do the same (focus on the diet first then bring the exercise back) if it were me. 

For the pushups, I would much rather repeat a week than skip the 5th set. That 5th set is the most important one by far. That's where the strength gains are supposed to happen - the first set gets you tired, the second set is close to max reps, then you do two smaller sets to tire you out again and then that last set is supposed to be really hard. Increase your rest between sets, take two days off between push up days, repeat an earlier week... all of those will serve you better than skipping the last set imo. But remember...

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.
Given where I'm at (seemingly starting to hit a wall), do you suggest I repeat week 5 (column 2)?  I know you're not a doctor but you've gone through it.  

Given where I'm at (seemingly starting to hit a wall), do you suggest I repeat week 5 (column 2)?  I know you're not a doctor but you've gone through it.  
Week 5 day 2 is totally different from week 5 day 1

Day 1 28 35 25 22 35

Day 2 18 18 20 20 14 14 16 40

As far as I, a non doctor, can tell, the goal in day 1 was to build up your total volume 

The goal from day 2 until the end will be to build up your one rep max.  If you can do 40 after doing 7 sets like that first, then you'll be able to do a lot more than 40 if you don't tire yourself out first. 

You're also going to do one more strength test at the end of the week.  If you stay in the middle column our final set of day 6 will be 22 22 30 30 25 25 18 18 55. 

The theory seems to be that if you can do 55 pushups when you're fatigued, you can do 100 straight.

I was struggling with the hard colum on week 5, so I redid week 5 day 1, struggled, and redid week 4.  Now I'm properly caught up. I'm glad I did it. But you seem to have started further ahead and with a goal of finishing on time or not at all, while my goal was just to get stronger when I was super weak to start, and hey look there's a plan on the internet, let's try to do that. 

Week 5 day 2 is totally different from week 5 day 1

Day 1 28 35 25 22 35

Day 2 18 18 20 20 14 14 16 40

As far as I, a non doctor, can tell, the goal in day 1 was to build up your total volume 

The goal from day 2 until the end will be to build up your one rep max.  If you can do 40 after doing 7 sets like that first, then you'll be able to do a lot more than 40 if you don't tire yourself out first. 

You're also going to do one more strength test at the end of the week.  If you stay in the middle column our final set of day 6 will be 22 22 30 30 25 25 18 18 55. 

The theory seems to be that if you can do 55 pushups when you're fatigued, you can do 100 straight.

I was struggling with the hard colum on week 5, so I redid week 5 day 1, struggled, and redid week 4.  Now I'm properly caught up. I'm glad I did it. But you seem to have started further ahead and with a goal of finishing on time or not at all, while my goal was just to get stronger when I was super weak to start, and hey look there's a plan on the internet, let's try to do that. 
Well since starting the program, my goal has changed.  I'll continue with the program and likely redo Week 4 and then 5 again.  Whether or not I'm ultimately able to hit 100, my new goal is to implement pushups as part of my workout regimen going forward.  I can't believe the results I've seen physically in just a few weeks of doing this.  

Well since starting the program, my goal has changed.  I'll continue with the program and likely redo Week 4 and then 5 again.  Whether or not I'm ultimately able to hit 100, my new goal is to implement pushups as part of my workout regimen going forward.  I can't believe the results I've seen physically in just a few weeks of doing this.  
it's startling, isn't it?  my 3000 push ups in 30 days, changed the shape of my upper body.  love it!  :flex:  

Didn’t Herschel Walker wake up and do 100 push ups every day?  Like that’s all he did?
From USA Today:

He started doing sit-ups and push-ups as a kid, as many as 5000 a day and still to this day he does 750-1500 pushups every day as well as 3000 sit ups. He also mixes in 1,500 pull-ups, 1000 dips, and 1000 squats every day. For cardio, he will run up to 8 miles and do sprints as well.

:jawdrop:

15 minutes jogging at 6mph, 15 minutes walking at 3mph while I watch some tv has settled in as my minimum effort run. I definitely have days i do more, but if I get on the treadmill at all, that is the starting point,  and I like it.. it burns a few hundred calories, doesn't put too much strain on my knees and keeps my cardio up.  Stayed about a hundred calories under my goal and no drinking. 

38 days down, 27 to go. 

After this challenge, my new goal will be to complete 300 pushups a week but sustain it forever (or at least until I'm physically unable to).  If I mix that in with my other workouts, I'll never need to enter a gym again.
do 100/day for 30 days.  100 pushups is an easy, tedious, cake walk now.  especially if you space it out, at all.  i'll do 25, sometimes 50, and then run 2 miles.  before my heart rate drops too far after running, i'll knock out another 25 to 50, depending on what i started with.  the last 25 are just an annoying finish, to get to 100.  50/50/50 might be my new routine. i'm definitely going to do 100+/day for october. 

So this is probably more exciting for me than anyone reading it, but 

When I started tracking calories I would always start light on breakfast. My thought process was that it was hard to go the whole day without a lot of calories left. It was like screwing myself over in the future, and i would be much more likely to cheat.  So I would try to save enough calories tto have a good dinner- my goal was to be able to go to chipotle and get a burrito for like 800 or 1000 calories. 

And that worked for me, and I'd recommend it to almost anyone getting started with calorie tracking.  There's something so satisfying about having that big meal when I was supposedly dieting, where i felt like I've found a loophole because surely nobody else knows about this awesome burrito diet. It gave me a reason to go light at breakfast, and be good at lunch, because I knew the reward was something good - and that the penalty was a sad little bowl of broccoli and cauliflower or a salad or something.m

Last night I had 500 calories left before exercise, and didn't really care if I ate anything. I was just trying to get enough protein and get a short run in. I ended up having some salmon with veggies, doing a light workout and then snacked on a skyr, but I would have been fine skipping it. I just wasn't concerned about eating. That’s not a huge deal for some people but I assure you that's not how I got fat. 

But this morning, I decided to make a big breakfast. I was hungry and I had some leftover potatoes I wanted to use so I made a big two egg sandwich with ham and cheese on english, fried up some home fries in a non stick pan (no oil or butter) and had a gut busting 675 calorie plate to start the day.  And now I'm full.  And I am not worried about what that means for lunch or dinner. I'm just good, like when Mikey from swingers forgot to click back over and talk to his ex because he was too interested in Heather Graham. That's new for me.  Apparently I'm all grownsed up and I'm all grownsed up. 

My point is I think doing a hard push like this has been really good for me. It kind of forced me to figure out a new relationship with food and exercise and all that stuff, not in an intellectual way but in the way I actually do it. But it only works for me because my style is that I can be strict enough with myself to stay with it and not take any cheat days, or drink, and I've got enough of an exercise base built up that I can force myself to the treadmill to burn an extra 400 calories today or 700 tomorrow or 0 if I need a rest. That's not for everyone. But it's what is working for me. 

Seeing all the people in here having success with MFP/CICO, or weight watchers, or keto, or honey nut cheeriohan, or just walking every day and trying not to overdo it, it seems like lots of us have probably had those epiphanies.  I like to read about them and I thought I'd share one of mine. I don't really need a food reward anymore. 

I'm still looking forward to getting #### faced on my birthday though. 

bostonfred said:
Lots of people looking for a next challenge... this isn't a one month challenge or anything, but it's a cool thought 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/do-a-pull-up/
This talks about it, nearly immediately, but the limiting factor here is weight for most people.

I mean when I'm running a little more weight just 5 pounds more can have a massive impact on my pull up volume.  

I haven't looked into it recently, but getting assisted pull up bands was next to impossible due to covid in the not too distant past.  

Weighted chin ups can absolutely blow up your biceps and back at the same time.  I will try to hook a kettlebell on a foot and do any manner of pull ups with that until tired, drop the kettlebell and keep going.   

This talks about it, nearly immediately, but the limiting factor here is weight for most people.

I mean when I'm running a little more weight just 5 pounds more can have a massive impact on my pull up volume.  

I haven't looked into it recently, but getting assisted pull up bands was next to impossible due to covid in the not too distant past.  

Weighted chin ups can absolutely blow up your biceps and back at the same time.  I will try to hook a kettlebell on a foot and do any manner of pull ups with that until tired, drop the kettlebell and keep going.   
My pull up volume is zero and I am hoping to increase it to zero but I don't look as bad trying. We are at different exits on the fitness highway if you're looking for ways to make the first few pull ups more challenging. 

My pull up volume is zero and I am hoping to increase it to zero but I don't look as bad trying. We are at different exits on the fitness highway if you're looking for ways to make the first few pull ups more challenging. 
Right, but I mean one of the easiest way to start making progress is to have assistance.

I just looked and there are several brands on amazon available.  I would strongly suggest starting with assistance.  But I would get one that isn't just a band you loop but one you can customize for your height.  The people that just loop a band over a lot of time end up using leg drive.

https://www.amazon.com/KIKIGOAL-Premium-Powerlifting-Shoulders-Strength/dp/B086L6V3YW/ref=sr_1_16?crid=3OI6UIFL2W5Z2&dchild=1&keywords=pull+up+assistance+bands&qid=1601473056&sprefix=pull+up+assist%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-16

This is more like what I have in mind, but noting that this particular one could be complete garbage.  Most fitness stuff you get what you pay for.

Hundredpushups.com week 5 day 2 redo

19 easy, I stopped before I got in my groove, 45 seconds rest is plenty 

19 I'm warming up now. Ill give it a minute

22 ok I remember this, I'm going to struggle with the next 22 but these are still very doable. Maybe I'll go with 75 seconds 

22 yeah I can see doing 23 here but 25 ain't happening, let's take a minute and a half

18 this is the deceptive set. Its the smallest set so far, but after the build up, it gets you.  Take 1 45 to slow my heart rate

18 this was supposed to lull me into complacency not make me feel fear. Two full minutes rest lls

22 wait did I really do these before?  How the ####?  I'm a sweaty mess and my heart is pounding through my chest. 6 minutes doug e fresh, you're on. 

45 this is the big set. I will take it slow and get as much done as I can without it stopping. Like...  27 of them. Then 3 more. Then two more... but I finally did it. 45 done, absolutely not without stopping, in fact stopping worse than before, but done.

Probably my fault for only taking one day off between day 1 and day 2.  Next push up day will be Saturday I guess. Probably redoing week 5 day 2. 

Week 5, Day 2 of pushup challenge (Column 2) - 18, 18, 20, 20, 14, 14, 16, 45.  This was by far the easiest day I've had in about a week and a half.  I did about 60 seconds between sets but didn't really struggle with any of them.  I'm hoping this will push me back on track (physically and mentally) because I was starting to hit a wall of late.  Looking ahead at Day 3 and I essentially did that today.  I'm not feeling moving ahead to week 6 just yet.  I don't think I'm ready.  I'm going to go back to week 4 (column 3) and then attempt week 5 (column 3 this time).

No other exercise for me today as I was swamped with work/house projects.  Back at body combat tomorrow.  No booze.

Week 5, Day 2 of pushup challenge (Column 2) - 18, 18, 20, 20, 14, 14, 16, 45.  This was by far the easiest day I've had in about a week and a half.  I did about 60 seconds between sets but didn't really struggle with any of them.  I'm hoping this will push me back on track (physically and mentally) because I was starting to hit a wall of late.  Looking ahead at Day 3 and I essentially did that today.  I'm not feeling moving ahead to week 6 just yet.  I don't think I'm ready.  I'm going to go back to week 4 (column 3) and then attempt week 5 (column 3 this time).

No other exercise for me today as I was swamped with work/house projects.  Back at body combat tomorrow.  No booze.
Awesome job. You still sound like you are way ahead of me, so if you're thinking about repeating i definitely should. 

I need to go back and redo last week.  Week 4 is crushing me.  Although for the first time in a long time I can do 20 push-ups in a row.  Progress!

More importantly, diet totally in check.  I've had some wine, but have stayed low carb, which keeps me out of trouble.  Tomorrow night we have dinner out to celebrate our 10 year, but even there I think I can manage to be reasonable and not get carb crazy.  Honestly feel so much better even after just a few days of eating like this.  And that's WITH drinking.  Imagine if I ditched the booze too.

Staying the course for now, no carb, trying to eat good, real foods, throwing in the occasional keto bars or keto snacks.  But none of the garbage that usually kills me.

I think I may try this at some point.  But I'm going to start with their Bodyweight Workout for Beginners.

Thanks for the link tho, I've spent way too much time on that site today.  
Man, I thought I was in decent shape.  I mean I can walk 4+ miles at a 3.3mph pace and I did the pushups for a month or so back in July/August (didn't finish but noticed a lot of improvement).  

This Bodyweight workout kicked my ###.  Finished 2 circuits yesterday, supposed to do 3.  My thighs and glutes are killing me today.  Squats and walking lunges suck!

Keep up the good work!

well i spent the last couple of days in a tent as the end of my fishing season is getting near it has been cold and i hiked and fished all over heck and i am doing well on my diet its easy when you are squeezing in meals between physical activities so hey i am keepin on keepin on and havent moved the needle up or down on the scale but im where i want to be take that to the bank bromigos 

Man, I thought I was in decent shape.  I mean I can walk 4+ miles at a 3.3mph pace and I did the pushups for a month or so back in July/August (didn't finish but noticed a lot of improvement).  

This Bodyweight workout kicked my ###.  Finished 2 circuits yesterday, supposed to do 3.  My thighs and glutes are killing me today.  Squats and walking lunges suck!

Keep up the good work!
I might be looking for something like this. Will give it a shot. 

My left elbow has joined my left shoulder in being jacked up. It hurt to wipe sweat off my face when I was out for my walk. I never hurt myself lifting weights, but six weeks of yoga has wrecked my "good" arm.

On a positive note, if I have to start feeding myself right-handed, I'll lose ten pounds before I figure it out.

bostonfred said:
Hundredpushups.com week 5 day 2 redo

19 easy, I stopped before I got in my groove, 45 seconds rest is plenty 

19 I'm warming up now. Ill give it a minute

22 ok I remember this, I'm going to struggle with the next 22 but these are still very doable. Maybe I'll go with 75 seconds 

22 yeah I can see doing 23 here but 25 ain't happening, let's take a minute and a half

18 this is the deceptive set. Its the smallest set so far, but after the build up, it gets you.  Take 1 45 to slow my heart rate

18 this was supposed to lull me into complacency not make me feel fear. Two full minutes rest lls

22 wait did I really do these before?  How the ####?  I'm a sweaty mess and my heart is pounding through my chest. 6 minutes doug e fresh, you're on. 

45 this is the big set. I will take it slow and get as much done as I can without it stopping. Like...  27 of them. Then 3 more. Then two more... but I finally did it. 45 done, absolutely not without stopping, in fact stopping worse than before, but done.

Probably my fault for only taking one day off between day 1 and day 2.  Next push up day will be Saturday I guess. Probably redoing week 5 day 2. 
the last set was hard!  

Stressful work day, but I'm in the zone now. This would normally be a temptation to pour a drink or eat junk but i was more concerned with getting my run in so I could continue my streak of days under calories. 

40 days down, 25 to go, 7 lbs to reach my stretch goal. 
Awesome. 

Fred what’s yours goal weight and how tall are you?

Awesome. 

Fred what’s yours goal weight and how tall are you?
Sure. I wasn't going to do this yet but I'm good with it. 

I mentioned before that I was fat and had terrible willpower. In 2008, I ran a half marathon at about 235 lbs. After that, I was around 240 to 250 for years, but after having a kid i started to creep up past 250. I told myself that I was in the high 240s, or that i now weighed 250, as i went up. Even when I broke 260, I still saw myself as 250 but with a bit of a fluctuation recently. Then when my brother died a couple years ago, I broke 270, crept into the high 270s, and i was in a bad way. I started to get health issues. Nothing serious, thankfully, but my body was not healthy. 

I decided to do a biggest loser bet with a friend of mine who was also struggling with his weight, and we both decided to lose 35 lbs.  I had one last binge day on my brother's birthday (june 10th) and I took a picture on June 21st, after my big blowout it said I weighed 284.6. That was it for me. By October last year, I had lost about 40 pounds doing nothing but calorie counting. I didn't try to eat healthy foods, I had plenty of pizza, buffalo chicken and takeout food, but I tracked them closely and went from run walking a minute or two of running then walking, then another couple minutes of running, then walking, to being able to run a mile, then a couple miles.

I maintained most of that weight loss through the holidays, got a gym membership and started to run further and faster.  I was running a 5k, then a faster 5k, then 5 miles, and also rowing and adding in a little weight lifting, although I didn't really have a plan.  I learned about body recomposition and decided that it made sense to improve my fitness level. Then the pandemic hit, and I started to get more serious.  My weight went from the high 240s to about 242 as I gave up booze. This was when we were talking about some of those monthly challenges like tracking calories.  Lent ended and I started drinking again, and my weight bounced up a pound or two, but not too bad.  Then I got a bad case of poison iivy and it messed me up. I couldn't run, the sweat made me itch like crazy. I could barely sleep. I started drinking heavier just to fall asleep, and my weight went into the higher 240s. But I got back to it, was able to get running again, and got myself into the low 240s. 

On August 23rd when you and I agreed to give up drinking and go on a serious diet, I weighed 242 and change. 

This morning I weighed in at 226.8, and I'm 3.5 weeks away from my two month "stretch goal" of 220, which will put me at 65 lbs down from my peak. Then I will switch to maintenance mode and put a couple pounds back on. I am not planning to stay under 220 during this time. 

My next goal is not weight loss, but body recomposition. I will continue the pushups and focus on my core, because losing a lot of weight means extra skin unless you give it time to shrink to fit and fill it up with some muscle. So far, I think it's working- my chest looks a lot better with all the pushups, and I have gone from really fat to fat, and from fat down to a heavier dad bod, but my after picture looks a lot like otherdad'sbefore pictures.  I would be comfortable shirtless at the beach now compared with where I was a year and a half ago.  I know it's gross to talk about but I've been using firming lotion on my gut, which is about 90 percent bull#### but helps a little, i use my hypervolt/theragun on my low belly to break up the fat because I saw a study that suggested that it actually helps with the appearance of loose skin, and I'm going to switch gears to the two things that are shown to work, strength training and gradual weight loss - not losing more than 10 percent of your weight at a time, then taking a few weeks or months off to let your skin adjust. 

So between now and Christmas, if i can stay under 225, I'll be happy. I am already the lowest I've been in years, and while I'd love to cross the finish line now, I actually really don't want to. I'll set a new goal like 210 by 2/10, or 215 by 2/15, making a hard push of about 10 or 15 lbs, not 20 plus. And then level out, and make another push to get under 200. And then decide. 184.6 by June 21st would be awesome, just to say I did an even 100 in 2 years. And if i can lose 20 plus in two months, I should be able to do the final 35 in the next 8 months. But I'm more interested in the health and aesthetics, and some light strength training combined with gradual weight loss is my best hope for getting there. So I'll have to see how my body is responding. 

For guys who are in that 50 plus, 80 plus, 100 plus overweight range, I would strongly recommend learning as much as possible about these things Ilike did so you can make a plan that works for you.  

And BTW the reason pushups are probably easier for me is because I have less weight to actually push up (thanks to genetics).  I would say we are probably very similar in terms of our actual fitness level.

And BTW the reason pushups are probably easier for me is because I have less weight to actually push up (thanks to genetics).  I would say we are probably very similar in terms of our actual fitness level.
Thanks man.  But I dont think it's genetics. I think it's just that you didn't get really fat and I did. 

Genetics is a nice way to say it's not my fault but i don't need that anymore.  I'm not proud of the fact I got fat. Losing weight sucks compared with not putting it on in the first place. What you've done is, to me, much more impressive, because it's what I would rather have done, but I chose overeating and drinking instead. And you started doing pushups and body combat before i started hundredpushups.com stuff so I expected you to be stronger.  All in all I think what you've done is super impressive, keeping your weight healthy in the first place and keeping fit as we get older.  

I am proud of what I'm doing in the sense that I know how hard it was to get where I am vs where I was, both physically and mentally being able to go back and cut 10 more later.  I get it now.  But mostly I am hopeful that other people can see me doing it and talking about what I'm doing each day and all the little crap I post each day and maybe avoid some of my mistakes or learn the thought process that got me over the hump. If doing that helps anyone else here then I'm proud of that part too, and I'm sharing something I'm not proud of because I genuinely want to help other people with this if I can. 

i am going camping again this weekend and i will burn some calories staying warm since it will be in the 30s but hey that is what separates the camping wheat from the chaff so i am up for it and i hope the fish agree last trip of the season and i hope it is a good one so you all have a good weekend and take it to the bank brochachos

Did my second round of beginner-body-weight-workout after a 40-min walk this morning.

Much better this time, as I was able to complete all three circuits.  Much worse in my walking lunges tho, as those just flat out suck.  

I was still sore this morning from the first round Wednesday, despite a 50min walk and 5min stretch yesterday.  I also need some better weights.  (Been using a gallon paint can because my daughter has my small set.)

Stayed under my calories the last two days and started not drinking on Wednesday.  (Timed it so one month is up before Halloween weekend.)

Keep up the good work!

@bostonfred you are an inspiration to us all.  Keep it up my friend.

Did my second round of beginner-body-weight-workout after a 40-min walk this morning.

Much better this time, as I was able to complete all three circuits.  Much worse in my walking lunges tho, as those just flat out suck.  

I was still sore this morning from the first round Wednesday, despite a 50min walk and 5min stretch yesterday.  I also need some better weights.  (Been using a gallon paint can because my daughter has my small set.)

Stayed under my calories the last two days and started not drinking on Wednesday.  (Timed it so one month is up before Halloween weekend.)

Keep up the good work!

@bostonfred you are an inspiration to us all.  Keep it up my friend.
This sounds fairly similar to the Hight Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts that I used to do a lot of before body combat/pump.  Definitely very challenging at first but it gets a lot easier as you keep doing it.  Seems like you're already starting to see the results.  Stick with it - great job.

This sounds fairly similar to the Hight Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts that I used to do a lot of before body combat/pump.  Definitely very challenging at first but it gets a lot easier as you keep doing it.  Seems like you're already starting to see the results.  Stick with it - great job.
Thanks.  I haven't lost as much as fred has, but I'm also using this as a transition to body recomposition.  I'm only 15lb from my goal weight, but I really want to add some lean muscle and strengthen my core while getting to that weight.  

Users who are viewing this thread