Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread — Fred is stir crazy and picking a fight with the running nerds in the 10k thread. GREAT. UPDATE: feeling confident

Recommended Posts

I want to encourage everyone who's starting out on this journey: it starts out hard, but it's all worth it. I started last year over 190, made it all the way to 157, currently around 160, and after what I thought was a major cheat day yesterday, I was only at 162. My metabolism is running high, I'm eating healthier foods while still enjoying it, and I'm in the best shape of my life! Granted, I'm an electrician, which helps burn calories, but it's still possible as long as you eat right and keep moving.

  • Like 10
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't get around to posting yesterday but finished December with a timed 45 minuter netting 9,582 meters.

Final December Total: 136,441

Jan 1: 10,137 meters - another timed 45 minutes.

Jan Total: 10,137

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My resolution is to be thinner, measured by the pants (my own, duh) I can get into, not weight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eaganwildcats said:

Didn't get around to posting yesterday but finished December with a timed 45 minuter netting 9,582 meters.

Final December Total: 136,441

Jan 1: 10,137 meters - another timed 45 minutes.

Jan Total: 10,137

Awesome end to the month.  Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ErgOtis Row Stats

Jan 2 Row: 10,021m in 45:39 (MAF)

January total: 10,021m

Wanted to start off the year with a 10k.  Didn't row yesterday, no good excuse other than a holiday hangover and stuff to do around the house.  But I did stick with my main food guides for the month -- no alcohol and no sugary snacks, and had reasonable meals.

Onwards we march.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Otis said:

ErgOtis Row Stats

Jan 2 Row: 10,021m in 45:39 (MAF)

January total: 10,021m

Wanted to start off the year with a 10k.  Didn't row yesterday, no good excuse other than a holiday hangover and stuff to do around the house.  But I did stick with my main food guides for the month -- no alcohol and no sugary snacks, and had reasonable meals.

Onwards we march.

 

:headbang: 

January - we row. February - we row OR we add a little Shaun T to our lives. :boxing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T25 is legit....

Im just too out of shape to do it again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed overeating during the holidays.  I ate so much that I only had 1000 calories yesterday and burnt most of those off at the gym.

Going for about 1500 calories a day the next two months with a goal of losing 23.4 lbs in 8.5 weeks (including some of my post holiday chunk and water weight). It's aggressive and won't leave me room for any cheat days but I have kept my cardio up and am running further and faster than i was last time i started the diet that i should be able to eat some nice 800 to 1000 calorie meals while I'm doing this.  It's all about capture control at breakfast/ lunch/ snack. 

Plan for today 

Coffee no sugar, egg white breakfast sandwich - 328 calories

Small santa fe salad 230 calories

Turkey and mustard on a pretzel roll 280 calories

Chicken burrito with a little brown rice vegetables and guacamole 950 calories

2 Sam Adams 360 calories (honestly will probably leave these out today but it helps to know i have the option so i don't feel like I'm depriving myself) 

5k run at 6mph minus 593 calories

Total net 1555 calories (1195 if i skip the beers)

Doesn't even sound like a diet. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best part about gaining weight is that you see FAST results when you start eating right again. 
 

Dec 31 - 257.8

Jan 2 - 253.7

Shooting for 245 by Feb 1, 230 by Memorial Day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Otis said:

I stocked up with a couple cases last week. They’ll be waiting on standby. 

I actually had an "Omission Ultimate Light" yesterday and would recommend. Gluten free and <100 calories per bottle. Has some actual taste and drinks much cleaner than the macro light beers you drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fourth consecutive day of closing my exercise ring before 7 am. Still more walking than running but the split will shift by the end of the month.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely forgot to let the people know a great way to cut weight and keep it off. Cut way back on starches and sugars. I still have some, but it's maybe 25% of what I had before. I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kal El said:

Completely forgot to let the people know a great way to cut weight and keep it off. Cut way back on starches and sugars. I still have some, but it's maybe 25% of what I had before. I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.

Yes Indeed. I found sugars were easier to cut out but bread, pasta, rice - I used to eat a lot of those 3,  I've had work hard to cut back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Yes Indeed. I found sugars were easier to cut out but bread, pasta, rice - I used to eat a lot of those 3,  I've had work hard to cut back.

It's not easy, but worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jan 2: 9,598 - maybe should have eaten something prior to this today - battling a headache making the workout quite the slog. 

Jan Total: 19,735

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Plan for today 

Coffee no sugar, egg white breakfast sandwich - 328 calories

Small santa fe salad 230 calories

Turkey and mustard on a pretzel roll 280 calories

Chicken burrito with a little brown rice vegetables and guacamole 950 calories

2 Sam Adams 360 calories (honestly will probably leave these out today but it helps to know i have the option so i don't feel like I'm depriving myself) 

5k run at 6mph minus 593 calories

Total net 1555 calories (1195 if i skip the beers)

Doesn't even sound like a diet. 

Stuck to this verbatim except for the burrito which i replaced with a huge container of chicken tortilla soup from wegmans and some chips.  Also switched the beer for wine. Easily under 1500 net calories for the day.  Weighed in at the gym after my workout and was already down a couple pounds so my hope of burning through water weight quickly is looking good.

2 days down 58 to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bostonfred said:

2 Sam Adams 360 calories (honestly will probably leave these out today but it helps to know i have the option so i don't feel like I'm depriving myself)

Does Sam Adams come in a pint?  The "one big beer" instead of two strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 6:15 PM, Kal El said:

I want to encourage everyone who's starting out on this journey: it starts out hard, but it's all worth it. I started last year over 190, made it all the way to 157, currently around 160, and after what I thought was a major cheat day yesterday, I was only at 162. My metabolism is running high, I'm eating healthier foods while still enjoying it, and I'm in the best shape of my life! Granted, I'm an electrician, which helps burn calories, but it's still possible as long as you eat right and keep moving.

How tall are you?

Edited by Da Guru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

How tall are you?

5' 10"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DropKick said:

Does Sam Adams come in a pint?  The "one big beer" instead of two strategy.

Not sure but it's a good idea. For me the issue isn't even that I need a beer, it's the knowledge that even though I'm dieting, i can still eat burritos and drink beers and lose two pounds a week. I know im weakest at night so I plan my day around the fact i get to have a big meal at night and it doesn't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything, which makes the whole thing more sustainable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post holidays started today at 216. Plan is to lose 20. I’ll see where I am at 196. I feel really good around 204 so 8 below that should feel great. Exercise is limited to long walks until get cleared by the doc. Won’t be able to burn as much as usual so will to be diligent with what I take in.  Cutting sugar is the first key. I’ll wean myself off with a few healthy choice fudge bars. Wine will be the next thing. 2 glasses good for the heart and all. Had a huge 2014 Pine Ridge bottle of Fortis New Years Eve. So at least went out big. Motivated 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those beginning the trek. Goals and plans don't matter. It's all about commitment. Are you committed to whatever you wrote down sometime over the last week or so. 90% are not and will be the same or worse this time next year. What are you going to do to sustain the commitment so you can be the outlier.

Good luck

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Those beginning the trek. Goals and plans don't matter. It's all about commitment. Are you committed to whatever you wrote down sometime over the last week or so. 90% are not and will be the same or worse this time next year. What are you going to do to sustain the commitment so you can be the outlier.

Good luck

This!

Goals are good but goals are easily met when you are consistent and make it a part of your day.   I work out at least 5 days a week and walk my Lab every day for 30-45 minutes at a fast pace.   Everything I eat I think "Is this good for me?"   I had pizza on New Years day for the first time in 6 months and really enjoyed it but I won`t eat in again for 6  months.  I have been doing this most of my adult life. I am 6-1 and when I was in my late 20s and was lifting heavy weighed 220.   Now I stay around 205 without ever getting over 208.    Lite beer and once in awhile a bourbon on the rocks are my choice if I drink.

Bottom line is just do something active everyday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAF question.  I was told there would be no MAF!  

My calculated HR is 120 so am I supposed to get as close to that as possible without going over or just not go over?  I can go at an easy pace where my HR stays between 100 and 110 so should I try to go a bit faster the get closer to 120 or just keep doing what I'm doing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Steeler said:

MAF question.  I was told there would be no MAF!  

My calculated HR is 120 so am I supposed to get as close to that as possible without going over or just not go over?  I can go at an easy pace where my HR stays between 100 and 110 so should I try to go a bit faster the get closer to 120 or just keep doing what I'm doing?

 

Should be between 110-120. Warmup should be up to 110.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, eaganwildcats said:

Jan 2: 9,598 - maybe should have eaten something prior to this today - battling a headache making the workout quite the slog. 

Jan Total: 19,735

Jan 3: 9,535

Jan Total: 29,270

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 3:36 PM, Tecumseh said:

Day 28/100

Ran 4.5 miles yesterday. Going to just take a long walk a little later this evening.

Bank: $270

Where are you?  I'm back on the bandwagon after missing Dec. 26 and 27.  Chugging along having completed Day 34 (of 36) today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Where are you?  I'm back on the bandwagon after missing Dec. 26 and 27.  Chugging along having completed Day 34 (of 36) today.

Still plugging away. I did skip NYE, but got out for a run NYD. Yesterday I knew I wouldn't be able to work out, so i set a goal of 15k steps, and ended up over 16k. Since I definitely had alot of intentional movement to meet my goal, I'm counting it a a success. today I woke up and did a "Shaun T" video before work, and I'll pick up another 10k steps tonight. Tomorrow is a gym day.

Honestly, I'm getting to a point where I want to work out/run everyday, regardless of the challenge, which is why I haven't been updating as much. Whereas the first time around I really needed to use this thread for added accountability, this time I don't feel like I need it much, if at all, to get me motivated. I'll keep posting every few days to a week, tho, particularly as I hit any milestones.

Day 33/100

Bank: $310

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

Still plugging away. I did skip NYE, but got out for a run NYD. Yesterday I knew I wouldn't be able to work out, so i set a goal of 15k steps, and ended up over 16k. Since I definitely had alot of intentional movement to meet my goal, I'm counting it a a success. today I woke up and did a "Shaun T" video before work, and I'll pick up another 10k steps tonight. Tomorrow is a gym day.

Honestly, I'm getting to a point where I want to work out/run everyday, regardless of the challenge, which is why I haven't been updating as much. Whereas the first time around I really needed to use this thread for added accountability, this time I don't feel like I need it much, if at all, to get me motivated. I'll keep posting every few days to a week, tho, particularly as I hit any milestones.

Day 33/100

Bank: $310

Weren't you tracking your diet at one point?   I thought that was the approach you were going to be taking for this set of 100 days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Weren't you tracking your diet at one point?   I thought that was the approach you were going to be taking for this set of 100 days?

Yeah.... that didn't work out so great through the holidays, but I'm recommitting on that front. I still want to be sub-200 (at about 216-217 right now) by the end, so there is work to be done, but it's doable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ErgOtis Row Stats

Jan 4 Row: 10k in 45:41 (MAF)

January total: 20,021m

Average HR 136, max 153, almost 700 calories

I’ve rowed one slightly faster 10k, but my damn AirPod kept coming loose and at one point fell on the floor and I had to stop and go get it. If not for that, this would have been my best time yet. I’ll take it. 

On pace for 150k for the month, which would be a nice increase from last month. Would like to make a little more than that, we’ll see what I can do. Still already way behind @eaganwildcats, who is a daily 10k maniac. But I’ll try my best to keep up. 
 

Haven’t had a drop of alcohol in 2020. Sadly this is the longest I’ve gone without in a long time. Also no desserts or sugary treats; just snacking on things like peanuts, cheese and crackers, etc., and eating right. If I can replicate these four days over 2 months or 4 months or 6 months, look out. And then combine that with getting my knee fixed and starting up the running again?  Good lawd!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m committed to being one of the success stories in here this year. 6:00 am on a Saturday and am headed out to walk/run. And it’s 39 degrees and been raining all morning.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Otis @eaganwildcats @anyotherrowingnerds

I want to mix in some rowing now after reading about it in here.  Is there a "couch to 5k" for rowing that you guys know about?  Or any tips for getting started with rowing?  I'm pretty sure my form is terrible (am i supposed to lean back at the back of the motion?  Be mostly straight?  Use my arms a lot or more legs and core?) And i don't know if i need to mess with resistance like on a spinning bike or if it's just using the natural resistance from the fan.  Total noob and I'm already sore from doing 2500m yesterday but it seems like a good second exercise for cross training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

@Otis @eaganwildcats @anyotherrowingnerds

I want to mix in some rowing now after reading about it in here.  Is there a "couch to 5k" for rowing that you guys know about?  Or any tips for getting started with rowing?  I'm pretty sure my form is terrible (am i supposed to lean back at the back of the motion?  Be mostly straight?  Use my arms a lot or more legs and core?) And i don't know if i need to mess with resistance like on a spinning bike or if it's just using the natural resistance from the fan.  Total noob and I'm already sore from doing 2500m yesterday but it seems like a good second exercise for cross training. 

Awesome — welcome to the club!  It’s an amazing exercise. I rowed crew for a year in college, and man did it whip my pudgy butt into shape.  And the low impact is great — I recently experience knee issues when trying to run, but this has been problem free. 
 

I just picked up this poster from Amazon for my laundry room where I keep the Erg, not because I needed it, but just figured the room was drab and there might be some helpful pointers especially if the wife wants to start rowing. 
 

The movements is basically four parts. From the rest position, legs outstretched, movement 1 is to stretch your arms forwards and lean forward.  Movement 2 is basically holding that upper body posture while bending your knees and sliding forward as far as you reasonably can. That’s the setup. Then you basically do the same thing in reverse: use your legs first—your biggest muscles (arms and back help the last motion, and you should use them at that point, but this is mostly legs at the end of the day)—to propel you backwards in movement 3, and movement 4 is leaning back and using your arms and back to pull the chain. The goal is to basically have the longest driving motion possible — reach as far forward as your body will reasonably allow, and in the end pull the chain as far back as you reasonably can. That long drive is what propels the boat forward.
 

Once you have there motion down, even though it’s 4 steps, it should all basically merge into two smooth motions of the handle and chain, forward then backward.  In other words the speed of movement of the handle on your coil up should be the same for when you lean forward and outstetch your arms as when you coil up your legs and slide forward. The transition should be smooth. 
 

I’m sure there are lots of good vids on YouTube re form. 
 

The only tip I would give for getting started is start slow. Don’t do more than a pace or 20 or 22 strokes per minute, and focus on your form. You can worry later about power, leg driving, and time and distance. Start with some 2k workouts, and then extend to 5k and eventually 10k. 
 

Resistance from the fan is fine. What model do you have?  If there is a resistance or drag setting, set it in the middle. (Mine is just past 5 out of 10). 
 

Welcome to our club of 3!  Post your progress. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:thumbup: youtube is your friend. I haven't gotten the courage to do it, but you can video your form and get some feedback on the Concept 2 boards - from looking around over there I think folks are generally quite gentle & helpful. 

As @Otis said, it's definitely supposed to be a leg-centric exercise so should really focus on the leg drive - it can be easy to just mail that part in and use mostly arms / back. On my rower there is a display that shows the "force curve" https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/using-the-force-curve that can be helpful in identifying issues with your stroke. 

All that said, you can go down a rabbit hole of 'perfection' on this stuff, so I've had to continuously remind myself "doing something is way better than nothing - I don't need to spend all day researching the best possible workout plan / form / whatever". 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good advice above -- also BF, here is a video from the Concept2 website -- probably the best authority you'll find:

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

And description:

Quote

The Rowing Stroke

How it works: The drive is the work portion of the stroke; the recovery is the rest portion that prepares you for the next drive. The body movements of the recovery are essentially the reverse of the drive. Blend these movements into a smooth continuum to create the rowing stroke.

The Catch

Arms are straight; head is neutral; shoulders are level and not hunched.

Upper body is leaning forward from the hips with the shoulders
in front of the hips.

Shins are vertical, or as close to vertical as is comfortable for you. Shins should not move beyond perpendicular.

Heels may lift as needed.

The Drive

Start the drive by pressing with your legs, and then swing the back through the vertical position before finally adding the arm pull.

Hands move in a straight line to and from the flywheel.

Shoulders remain low and relaxed.

The Finish

Upper body is leaning back slightly, using good support from
the core muscles.

Legs are extended and handle is held lightly below your ribs.

Shoulders should be low with wrists and grip relaxed. Wrists should be flat.

The Recovery

Extend your arms until they straighten before leaning from the hips towards the flywheel.

Once your hands have cleared your knees, allow your knees to bend and gradually slide the seat forward on the monorail.

For your next stroke, return to the catch position with shoulders relaxed and shins vertical.

Did you know? Your breathing rhythms can affect your workout. With a little practice, you can relate your breath to your stroke. For tips on how to breathe while rowing, visit our Breathing Techniques page for more.

 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Otis that’s some serious rowing. Never got near that amount when I was going crossfit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Otis said:

The only tip I would give for getting started is start slow. Don’t do more than a pace or 20 or 22 strokes per minute, and focus on your form. You can worry later about power, leg driving, and time and distance. Start with some 2k workouts, and then extend to 5k and eventually 10k. 

Resistance from the fan is fine. What model do you have?  

Welcome to our club of 3!  Post your progress. 

Awesome, thanks for the quick response.  It's kind of cool to see you as the expert on this.  

I am using the machine at the gym,  I have a treadmill and free weights at home, and i mostly joined the gym so i can take my kid to swim lessons there and do some lifting but it's also nice because they have dodgeball and other gym classes for kids that last long enough i can get a workout, so i want to do stuff i can't do at home.  

Started yesterday with a warm up run, 10 minutes at 7mph followed by some walking and 2500m rowing, went relatively slow close to 15 min.

Today did a 30 min 5k followed by 2k rowing in just under 10 minutes.  I feel like my form was a lot closer to what you said.  I definitely feel it in my upper body still so I'll move up gradually but it would be nice to take a day off running and just row/lift and still burn a bunch of calories.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Awesome, thanks for the quick response.  It's kind of cool to see you as the expert on this.  

I am using the machine at the gym,  I have a treadmill and free weights at home, and i mostly joined the gym so i can take my kid to swim lessons there and do some lifting but it's also nice because they have dodgeball and other gym classes for kids that last long enough i can get a workout, so i want to do stuff i can't do at home.  

Started yesterday with a warm up run, 10 minutes at 7mph followed by some walking and 2500m rowing, went relatively slow close to 15 min.

Today did a 30 min 5k followed by 2k rowing in just under 10 minutes.  I feel like my form was a lot closer to what you said.  I definitely feel it in my upper body still so I'll move up gradually but it would be nice to take a day off running and just row/lift and still burn a bunch of calories.  

It's a really great workout to mix in.  I'm burning near 700 calories in a 45 minute 10k, while working my cardio, my lungs, my legs, core, and back and biceps.   Really the only big muscle group lacking is chest and triceps, but I've started today with sprinkling in push-ups.  Combine a row with some push-ups, and throw a few sets of either shoulder raises or shoulder presses, and you have a truly complete workout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who else is still reading Otis theads in 2020?   😎

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2020 at 7:28 PM, eaganwildcats said:

Jan 3: 9,535

Jan Total: 29,270

Jan 4: 10,307 in 45 minutes. average HR 145. Previous few I was getting all stressed out if my HR crept to 150 which was super annoying. Decided not to really care this time and also not wear a sweatshirt :) much improved. 

Jan Total: 39,577

:drive:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ScottNorwood said:

Who else is still reading Otis theads in 2020?   😎

Just stay tuned for 2021: Otis' how to stay shredded thread

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrating the little victories. Saturday night date night with Mrs O. Dinner and a movie. No alcohol, no sweet treats, didn’t finish my meal (which was a healthy balanced meal). Came home and had some cheese and water on the couch. 
 

2020 is my girl dog. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rowtis Stats

Jan 5 Row: 1 hour row (13,023m in 1:00:27) (MAF-ish); Burned 961 calories, Avg HR 140, max 162

January total: 33,044m

This morning I daydreamed about doing a 20k.  I figured it couldn’t be that hard if I could set aside 90 minutes. Couldn’t go for it today as we have Frozen 2 tixx with the kids this morning, but decided to go for an hour, my longest row. It taught me that 20k is going to be a lot harder than I thought. I was pretty spent at the end here, doubt I had another 7k left in me. But maybe I’ll give it a go one day. 

MAFish because my HR slipped above 160 a couple times, and above 150 a number of times. I tried to monitor, but it’s hard to stay vigilant about it for an hour. And sometimes when I caught it creeping up it is too late — I slow down but it creeps up 5 or 10bpm before slowing back down.  

Anyway, good workout. Only 5 days into the month, but really starting to feel great. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Otis said:

Rowtis Stats

Jan 5 Row: 1 hour row (13,023m in 1:00:27) (MAF-ish); Burned 961 calories, Avg HR 140, max 162

January total: 33,044m

This morning I daydreamed about doing a 20k.  I figured it couldn’t be that hard if I could set aside 90 minutes. Couldn’t go for it today as we have Frozen 2 tixx with the kids this morning, but decided to go for an hour, my longest row. It taught me that 20k is going to be a lot harder than I thought. I was pretty spent at the end here, doubt I had another 7k left in me. But maybe I’ll give it a go one day. 

MAFish because my HR slipped above 160 a couple times, and above 150 a number of times. I tried to monitor, but it’s hard to stay vigilant about it for an hour. And sometimes when I caught it creeping up it is too late — I slow down but it creeps up 5 or 10bpm before slowing back down.  

Anyway, good workout. Only 5 days into the month, but really starting to feel great. 

You can set HR alerts on your Garmin watch. It'll buzz when you go over to help you from doing it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Otis said:

Rowtis Stats

Jan 5 Row: 1 hour row (13,023m in 1:00:27) (MAF-ish); Burned 961 calories, Avg HR 140, max 162

January total: 33,044m

This morning I daydreamed about doing a 20k.  I figured it couldn’t be that hard if I could set aside 90 minutes. Couldn’t go for it today as we have Frozen 2 tixx with the kids this morning, but decided to go for an hour, my longest row. It taught me that 20k is going to be a lot harder than I thought. I was pretty spent at the end here, doubt I had another 7k left in me. But maybe I’ll give it a go one day. 

MAFish because my HR slipped above 160 a couple times, and above 150 a number of times. I tried to monitor, but it’s hard to stay vigilant about it for an hour. And sometimes when I caught it creeping up it is too late — I slow down but it creeps up 5 or 10bpm before slowing back down.  

Anyway, good workout. Only 5 days into the month, but really starting to feel great. 

Hey rowtis: just to clarify, are we officially in a row-off? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, eaganwildcats said:

Hey rowtis: just to clarify, are we officially in a row-off? 

Let’s officially be in one without all the money and stuff on the line. Let’s do it purely for the love of the game?

 

ETA I’m way behind you already, and I have a feeling that delta will only get worse for me.  But it’s fun to have a target. 

Edited by Otis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Otis said:

Let’s officially be in one without all the money and stuff on the line. Let’s do it purely for the love of the game?

 

ETA I’m way behind you already, and I have a feeling that delta will only get worse for me.  But it’s fun to have a target. 

Pride it is. And with that attitude I am sure it will 😉

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.