What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

"All of us are a addicted to tomorrow. I’ll quit smoking tomorrow. I’ll go on a diet tomorrow. I’ll lose weight tomorrow. I’ll start studying tomorrow, but really making it happen today is the way you improve."
Putting important changes off until tomorrow is a huge mistake that many of us make.  I have been very disciplined my entire life but I put improving my diet off until tomorrow for 6 months this year. Once you put that change off for one day, it is easy to put it off another day.   It gets easier and easier to keep repeating until that day turns into weeks and months.  We don't mean for it to happen but life is busy and the time just flies by.  

The point is to make the change immediately to avoid the tomorrow trap.  

"All of us are a addicted to tomorrow. I’ll quit smoking tomorrow. I’ll go on a diet tomorrow. I’ll lose weight tomorrow. I’ll start studying tomorrow, but really making it happen today is the way you improve."
I don’t disagree. But I also know my mindset. Sports and work have turned me into a person that sets out defined tasks. I was a dreamer as a kid with semi-unrealistic goals. I’ve learned to set achievable/realistic goals through hard work. I also know that I have to have some measure of enjoyment in what I’m doing. 

I leave for one of favorite vacation spots for five days. I already know the restaurants I want to hit. I know that I need these days to turn my brain off and not stress about stuff like work and my diet. When I come back I’ll be settled into a new environment and can development knew, positive, and healthy routines. 

I posted the post you responded to as a way to enforce in my mind that Monday starts a new task. 

I don’t disagree. But I also know my mindset. Sports and work have turned me into a person that sets out defined tasks. I was a dreamer as a kid with semi-unrealistic goals. I’ve learned to set achievable/realistic goals through hard work. I also know that I have to have some measure of enjoyment in what I’m doing. 

I leave for one of favorite vacation spots for five days. I already know the restaurants I want to hit. I know that I need these days to turn my brain off and not stress about stuff like work and my diet. When I come back I’ll be settled into a new environment and can development knew, positive, and healthy routines. 

I posted the post you responded to as a way to enforce in my mind that Monday starts a new task. 
Like Blotis, how often have you said something like this then not followed through. You're not putting it off because you're going on vacation. You're putting it off because it isn't a priority. Something else (golf, wine night, late night at the office, etc.) will take precedent upon your return then you'll put this off to "tomorrow" again.

Back into the gym this morning myself.  Somehow I previously had convinced myself that the 4:45am alarm wasn't a big deal at all.  But after not doing it for a while?  Eesh.

Like Blotis, how often have you said something like this then not followed through. You're not putting it off because you're going on vacation. You're putting it off because it isn't a priority. Something else (golf, wine night, late night at the office, etc.) will take precedent upon your return then you'll put this off to "tomorrow" again.
Thanks for the added motivation for me to start next week. 

The above said, you're not wrong that it hasn't been a priority.  It's also not a priority this week and I'm not kidding myself about that.  But, I know I need to make it a priority and set a task for myself to do it. 

Thanks for the added motivation for me to start next week. 

The above said, you're not wrong that it hasn't been a priority.  It's also not a priority this week and I'm not kidding myself about that.  But, I know I need to make it a priority and set a task for myself to do it. 
The good news is your path to victory is wide open.  Otis has been bulking to cut some time in 2035.

culdeus said:
Good meta analysis of fasting/restriction based dieting.   With about 16 studies under the analysis they can find no evidence one way or the other. :shrug:  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6304782/
I honestly have a really difficult reading these because I just don’t understand all the terms and language.  I skimmed through and found this paragraph interesting:

“IER regimens were associated with lower circulating insulin values; a significant reduction was evident for the 5:2 “fasting” regimen only. Indeed, two RCTs, both employing this regimen, determined the difference [20, 26]. Our data are in line with the results of a previous meta-analysis reporting a significantly higher reduction in fasting insulin (− 0.67 µU/mL) in the IER arms [5]. The difference we found (− 0.89 µU/mL) was statistically significant, but not clinically relevant, above all considering the fact that participants to the included RCTs were overweight/obese and therefore probably insulin-resistant individuals.”

Would that mean that IF (IER) is good for diabetics?  

Day 71/100

Total of 4.5 miles:

Ran 3.2

Walked 0.4

Ran 0.4

Walked 0.2

Ran 0.2

Cool down

Not bad considering it was mid- to high 90’s when I was out there.

Gym day tomorrow

Bank: $710

culdeus said:
Good meta analysis of fasting/restriction based dieting.   With about 16 studies under the analysis they can find no evidence one way or the other. :shrug:  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6304782/
 I looked a few months ago and found nothing either. There’s a TED talk on the subject where the speaker makes fasting seem like the best think since carbohydrate-free sliced bread, but provides no supporting data. Not sure why IF has gained such popularity.

I honestly have a really difficult reading these because I just don’t understand all the terms and language.  I skimmed through and found this paragraph interesting:

“IER regimens were associated with lower circulating insulin values; a significant reduction was evident for the 5:2 “fasting” regimen only. Indeed, two RCTs, both employing this regimen, determined the difference [20, 26]. Our data are in line with the results of a previous meta-analysis reporting a significantly higher reduction in fasting insulin (− 0.67 µU/mL) in the IER arms [5]. The difference we found (− 0.89 µU/mL) was statistically significant, but not clinically relevant, above all considering the fact that participants to the included RCTs were overweight/obese and therefore probably insulin-resistant individuals.”

Would that mean that IF (IER) is good for diabetics?  
No. It means they saw small decreases in circulating insulin levels with fasting, which was statistically significant but not a big enough difference to have clinical relevance in diabetic individuals who’d be dieting.

To show the insulin reduction was clinically relevant, they’d need data which demonstrated decrease in diabetes related complications (or hemoglobin A1c levels, by proxy) associated with circulating insulin values of the magnitude impacted by IF.  Not only is that not a direct cause and effect relationship, I’m not sure fasting insulin levels are a good surrogate for any meaningful health outcome - they certainly aren’t followed routinely in clinical practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 73/100

Covered about 5.2 miles total, ran about 4.5. Temp was about 87. Took alot out of me. Tomorrow will probably have to be a yoga day.

Bank: $730

Day 74/100

Did an easy 20mins of yoga. Tomorrow will be either a short run or a gym day, followed by disc golf.

Bank: $740

Day 75/100

Too damn hot today to run or workout before disc golf. Played 18 on a new course (for me). Very long, so lots of walking. I'm comfortable with the effort.

Bank: $750

Day 76/100

Gym day. Tomorrow I'm working a rare day shift (sort of- 11a-11p), so I'm going to run a couple of miles and then head in.

Bank: $760

Just landed at JFK from the west coast, and it dawned on me that I’m doing myself and my family a disservice in not taking better care of my health and overall well being. 

I need to start a new weight loss journey.  Who’s comin’ with me??  /Jerrymcguire

Just landed at JFK from the west coast, and it dawned on me that I’m doing myself and my family a disservice in not taking better care of my health and overall well being. 

I need to start a new weight loss journey.  Who’s comin’ with me??  /Jerrymcguire
We're all with you.   Please start a new journey. The last one was over before it even started.   I think that was potatoes a few weeks ago.  Try something crazy.  How about bread and water or salads and beer?   Maybe just cereal or only fried chicken?   

Or, you could walk for 30-60 minutes a day and eat smaller meal portions while cutting out almost all booze and junk food.  That seems boring and too simple to actually work though.  We need a fad diet for the win.  

On day 4 of diet. So far so good. Significantly reduced carbs and had no alcohol. Unfortunately I’m working like 80 hrs this week so haven’t worked out but gonna go with the Chaka theory that one shouldn’t work out right away when starting a diet. 

Going no scale this time unless Otis decides to man up and resume our bet. 

On day 4 of diet. So far so good. Significantly reduced carbs and had no alcohol. Unfortunately I’m working like 80 hrs this week so haven’t worked out but gonna go with the Chaka theory that one shouldn’t work out right away when starting a diet. 

Going no scale this time unless Otis decides to man up and resume our bet. 
No scale for the starting weight?

Otis said:

Of course you are. But unless you pursue a sustainable lifestyle change it isn't gonna happen. 

Otis said:

Basically you've whined for nine years about pit bulls being so dangerous, but the stuff that actually kills millions of Americans doesn't really register with you.  Makes sense.

Day 77/100

Woke up and was out the door for a run 11 minutes later. Ended up doing 2 1/4 miles, and upped the intensity to make up for the short distance. Ran the whole thing at sub-10min pace, which is really good for me.

Bank: $770

Playing off of what Tecumseh has been doing, why don't you Otis and you Zow each pay me $10 for every day you don't eat well?   You've tried every other crazy diet so how about giving this one a shot.   I'll even keep a running total.
This is kind of awesome.  We PayPal gift it every day to an escrow holder. In the end the weight loss winner collects the proceeds from the penalty pot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been eating only food my great grandfather would have recognized.  shopping is easy, I just go partway around the outer perimeter of the grocery store. I hit produce, skip the bakery, hit the meat counter and am out the door.  Nothing from those interior aisles, no cans of this, bags of that, or frozen whatnot.  Six weeks now.  I probably have had more asparagus and broccoli in the last six weeks than the last two years.  Seems to be working, but slower than when I was younger.

Been eating only food my great grandfather would have recognized.  shopping is easy, I just go partway around the outer perimeter of the grocery store. I hit produce, skip the bakery, hit the meat counter and am out the door.  Nothing from those interior aisles, no cans of this, bags of that, or frozen whatnot.  Six weeks now.  I probably have had more asparagus and broccoli in the last six weeks than the last two years.  Seems to be working, but slower than when I was younger.
Can't cheat if you don't give yourself options in the first place. Cleaning up our diet's years ago was easy once we started making a shopping list before going and didn't veer from it. That way when we went into the aisles it was for a purpose (mustard, tuna, thyme, etc.) and wandering eyes didn't get a chance to take over.

Doing a weight loss challenge at work. Been hovering around 230-235, everybody keeps asking if I am getting thinner. 

Official weigh-in for the weight losss challenge isn't until the week of 8/25. I am thinking about sandbagging hard, really hard, and eating pizza and burgers and milkshakes until weigh-in. Thoughts?

ProstheticRGK said:
Doing a weight loss challenge at work. Been hovering around 230-235, everybody keeps asking if I am getting thinner. 

Official weigh-in for the weight losss challenge isn't until the week of 8/25. I am thinking about sandbagging hard, really hard, and eating pizza and burgers and milkshakes until weigh-in. Thoughts?
No

Finished up my second round of keto.  Down 28.2 lbs since mid-April doing two keto sessions with a week off in between. Not sure how long I'll be a normal person, but planning to do one more round of keto at some point.  Gonna enjoy some beer and pizza for a bit.
How do you define a keto session?

ProstheticRGK said:

Id just load up on the salty stuff a few days before to up your water retention.  You wont have to do much to lose all of that.  

Users who are viewing this thread