What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (5 Viewers)

Rough week in the old O house. No sense in going into it, but I only got to row twice this week, and did some crap eating and even some alcohol. Couldn’t row this morning but back at it with healthy eating, which I’ll carry into the weekend along with some solid rowing. 
It happens.   You’re a busy guy and cannot exercise every day.   With a young family, making excellent food choices is going to be tough.   You know what you are doing now and need to get back at it.   

1/1/20 - 205

2/28/20 - 198

Goal weight was 195 but as I get close to that weight, I need to shoot for 190.    And, I need to reduce my bad cholesterol since my latest blood work indicated an ok cholesterol level but slightly elevated bad cholesterol    I think that’s HDL.   Whatever it is, I need to eat less red meat and perform more serious cardio.   I need to really increase my heart rate when I’m riding the stationary bike and hitting the weights.   My BP was good at 110/76 which is good for me but less weight and more cardio should improve that too.  

Onwards   

It happens.   You’re a busy guy and cannot exercise every day.   With a young family, making excellent food choices is going to be tough.   You know what you are doing now and need to get back at it.   
Yeah.  One of the girls had surgery this week, Mrs. O's grandfather isn't doing well, it was Mrs. O's birthday this week, all culminating in all sorts of weird early mornings and lack of sleep and some random "let's just order in a pizza for the kids, no time to cook" stuff.  Yesterday Mrs. O got hammered again (two days in a row.... I only did one day at least...).  Yesterday I drank tons of water and ate grain bowls.  Hoping I'll be able to row today and tomorrow, but we'll see.  

I'm just to the point where I hate even giving up a single day of exercise, let alone several, and I hate drinking with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.  Still I sometimes do it.  :crazy:

I dipped below 164 yesterday. Started out in the 185-188 range last fall. My goal was to reach 165 by mid-April, when I turn 50.

So I am super happy about that.

What I am not happy about is that my wife now hates me. I am only exaggerating slightly. She feels betrayed because I did it on my own schedule and doing what works for me, while she wasn't able to. She hasn't lost any weight and is extremely angry with me and resentful about it. She told me a couple times along the way that she felt "left behind" and that my success made here feel worse about herself.

Part of this is irrational vanity and pettiness on her part. She says she finds me less attractive now, partly because I make her feel less attractive.

But some of it is because she told me what really mattered to her and she feels I disregarded it. If I am totally honest with myself, I guess I did. That second thing is a big deal to her and I think I understand why.

On the other hand, being #### on for doing something that was hard and that I am pretty proud of hurts my feelings and makes me angry. Last fall I was in a dark place emotionally and mentally and having something that I could control to obsess over, and finding success doing it, made me feel so much better emotionally and mentally.

It's a mess. 😕
You’re being much more kind and understanding than I would be.  I don’t get her thinking at all and find it enormously selfish.  Wish I had any decent advice, but I don’t know how you can deal with that.  I’m so happy that you’re otherwise feeling much better!  I know you’d been in a bad spot.

Btw, Mrs Longhorn is gorgeous and doesn’t need to lose weight anyway.  I’m sorry she’s feeling so down on herself (and then projecting that onto you).

Rough week in the old O house. No sense in going into it, but I only got to row twice this week, and did some crap eating and even some alcohol. Couldn’t row this morning but back at it with healthy eating, which I’ll carry into the weekend along with some solid rowing. 
You have a history of regressing in March. Don't tempt me to link it because I will. 

Actually looking back, it isn’t so bad. After return from vacation I rowed Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, so just missed Thurs and Fri. Just did almost 10k for this (Sat) morning. 5 of the past 7 days ain’t terrible. 

I dipped below 164 yesterday. Started out in the 185-188 range last fall. My goal was to reach 165 by mid-April, when I turn 50.

So I am super happy about that.

What I am not happy about is that my wife now hates me. I am only exaggerating slightly. She feels betrayed because I did it on my own schedule and doing what works for me, while she wasn't able to. She hasn't lost any weight and is extremely angry with me and resentful about it. She told me a couple times along the way that she felt "left behind" and that my success made here feel worse about herself.

Part of this is irrational vanity and pettiness on her part. She says she finds me less attractive now, partly because I make her feel less attractive.

But some of it is because she told me what really mattered to her and she feels I disregarded it. If I am totally honest with myself, I guess I did. That second thing is a big deal to her and I think I understand why.

On the other hand, being #### on for doing something that was hard and that I am pretty proud of hurts my feelings and makes me angry. Last fall I was in a dark place emotionally and mentally and having something that I could control to obsess over, and finding success doing it, made me feel so much better emotionally and mentally.

It's a mess. 😕
To look at this slightly differently...you mentioned diet/exercise as something for you to obsess over.  I know that for me, I can go really overboard on things and have done so with diet and exercise in the past. 

She may not be mad/upset that you are getting healthy, but more so that it has become more of a priority to you than her (and your relationship).  That feeling would hurt anyone (founded or not). 

I'm glad you are doing so much better.  You deserve a lot of credit for the effort you put in.  Just be sure to also thank your wife for being supportive (when she is...and even when she may not be).

ANNOUNCE - I have taken the torch from Otis as resident meh maybe this time it will work guy#!@#@  No crazy diets - but I said I wouldn't weigh myself until today.

I was 2 pounds heavier than I was 1/1  :bag:

Starting all over again.

Back to tracking everything 

So ashamed

So embarrassed

:kicksrock:

ANNOUNCE - I have taken the torch from Otis as resident meh maybe this time it will work guy#!@#@  No crazy diets - but I said I wouldn't weigh myself until today.

Starting all over again.

So ashamed

So embarrassed

Can of tuna and an apple imo

Today was the one month mark for my 5k MAF training.  

25:59.

A month ago I was happy to break 29 minutes and afraid that training slow would hurt my speed. I know @fred_1_15301 and a few others were worried about the same.

I've shaved off nearly a minute per mile in one month and i feel like I will probably be down below 25 by the end of March.  

Taking a rest day Saturday before my Sunday long run and another Monday before my Tuesday tempo run helped too. The only speed work I've done is a weekly 5k to see how my speed  is doing - everything else has been at MAF pace,  and I've actually run slower this week than i was the week before.

I think I'm going to keep my long run capped at 5 miles for another week or two, and maybe add in some intervals one day this week to start getting used to running at closer to a 7 minute mile pace. Giving up booze and chips for lent should help a bit too.
25:50

Week 8 IF Check in:

Week 1 = -1 lbs. overall
Week 2 = -2 lbs. overall
Week 3 = -3.5 lbs. overall
Week 4 = -5.0 lbs. overall
Week 5 = -6.5 lbs. overall
Week 6 = -7.0 lbs. overall
Week 7 = -8.0 lbs. overall
Week 8 = -7.0 lbs. overall

Last week, I was super hungry on one of my IF days that I ate lunch.  I thought I had caught up by not eating breakfast 2 days later, but I guess not.  Obviously, I've stalled out a bit and need to watch the portion size.  My goal is to get to -15 lbs. or -20 lbs. as a stretch goal.  I've got a long way to go...

Starting all over again.

So ashamed

So embarrassed

It’s all about the row.  

5 days in a hotel so I know I’ve gained weight. Will find out the damage when I get home tomorrow. One last night of drinking tonight and then will refrain for a few weeks and get back to the exercise.  Good thing is that I’m headed back to Seattle and expect there to be no food left in the stores so probably a couple day fast coming up.

Traded my size 42 pants for 38s and picked up a smaller belt. Also grabbed an XL shirt where I’ve only bought XXL for years. 

To look at this slightly differently...you mentioned diet/exercise as something for you to obsess over.  I know that for me, I can go really overboard on things and have done so with diet and exercise in the past. 

She may not be mad/upset that you are getting healthy, but more so that it has become more of a priority to you than her (and your relationship).  That feeling would hurt anyone (founded or not). 

I'm glad you are doing so much better.  You deserve a lot of credit for the effort you put in.  Just be sure to also thank your wife for being supportive (when she is...and even when she may not be).
This is on the money. I can be obsessive about things. And my wife wanted to "get healthy" together, but the problem was I just raced ahead with what worked for me. It didn't work for her.

So I understand where she is coming from. And the last thing I wanted to do was hurt her. But now I am in this weird place where I know what works for me and I can't really do it out of deference for her feelings. And now she is just as depressed as I was four months ago. I can also feel myself becoming slightly resentful. 

The whole thing is a challenge.

Starting all over again.

So ashamed

So embarrassed

Yup, checks out. 

PS no big deal but Otis keeps doing Otis, waking up in the 4s and rowing 10ks on the regular.  My diet could improve — last night I ate many gosh darned chocolate chip cookies a neighbor baked for us, and they were heavenly. But otherwise eating salads and healthy crap. And rowing a pantload. 

Haven’t weighed myself mostly because dooooont caaaare.  Staying the course. 

This is on the money. I can be obsessive about things. And my wife wanted to "get healthy" together, but the problem was I just raced ahead with what worked for me. It didn't work for her.

So I understand where she is coming from. And the last thing I wanted to do was hurt her. But now I am in this weird place where I know what works for me and I can't really do it out of deference for her feelings. And now she is just as depressed as I was four months ago. I can also feel myself becoming slightly resentful. 

The whole thing is a challenge.
Talking to women about their weight/diet/exercise is tough.  Offer to help her but don’t push it.  Good luck.  

PS no big deal but Otis keeps doing Otis, waking up in the 4s and rowing 10ks on the regular.  My diet could improve — last night I ate many gosh darned chocolate chip cookies a neighbor baked for us, and they were heavenly. But otherwise eating salads and healthy crap. And rowing a pantload. 

Haven’t weighed myself mostly because dooooont caaaare.  Staying the course. 
Been much less religious than January but still at ~440K meters this year. Few 2-3 day breaks thrown in when life comes too fast. Think I'm going to start 1x a week run now that it's nice out just for kicks - will see how it goes tomorrow. 

Slow and steady push for another couple months then a final push before pool season :boxing:

Hey all, checking back in.  Have gone through my basketball season weight gain, and need to get back into a program and lose some weight.  My work just went from business casual, to jeans every day dress code.  I have a few pair of nice jeans, but they are too tight.  Sucks.  Need to lose the gut.

In the past, I've done Keto and that has always worked.  Obviously the problem there is the family doesn't eat that way so when I get to the goal or close to it, I go back to eating regular and the weight creeps back on.  What is good about it though is I don't have to think about it.  I know what I can eat and what I can't, and overeating isn't a problem.

Straight calorie restriction worked in the past, but at this point in my life, I simply have no interest in being hungry 24/7, which is what I remember from calorie restriction.

Talk to me about IF.  This may be a solution.

Workouts will probably be alternating days of weights and cardio.  Need a plan in place before I can start though.  Failing to plan is planning to fail.

5 days in a hotel so I know I’ve gained weight. Will find out the damage when I get home tomorrow. One last night of drinking tonight and then will refrain for a few weeks and get back to the exercise.  Good thing is that I’m headed back to Seattle and expect there to be no food left in the stores so probably a couple day fast coming up.

Traded my size 42 pants for 38s and picked up a smaller belt. Also grabbed an XL shirt where I’ve only bought XXL for years. 
Didn’t gain weight on the trip. Actually lost a couple pounds. 220s here I come. Should be there by my Monday weigh in. 

Hey all, checking back in.  Have gone through my basketball season weight gain, and need to get back into a program and lose some weight.  My work just went from business casual, to jeans every day dress code.  I have a few pair of nice jeans, but they are too tight.  Sucks.  Need to lose the gut.

In the past, I've done Keto and that has always worked.  Obviously the problem there is the family doesn't eat that way so when I get to the goal or close to it, I go back to eating regular and the weight creeps back on.  What is good about it though is I don't have to think about it.  I know what I can eat and what I can't, and overeating isn't a problem.

Straight calorie restriction worked in the past, but at this point in my life, I simply have no interest in being hungry 24/7, which is what I remember from calorie restriction.

Talk to me about IF.  This may be a solution.

Workouts will probably be alternating days of weights and cardio.  Need a plan in place before I can start though.  Failing to plan is planning to fail.
I found IF to be super easy when I wasn't eating any simple carbs. When most of my calories come from protein and fat, my energy level seems to stay really consistent and hunger creeps up on me very slowly. I also agree with you on the rules for Keto/low-carb being really simple and easy to follow, once you get used to them. 

After my wife's fit about my diet and exercise, I don't really know how to think about what to eat. I enjoy meat and fatty foods in general, but you can't just eat them without thought when you are also consuming a material amount of carbs. That's a recipe for weight gain and other problems.

Calorie restriction sucks, again, unless you are getting most of your calories from protein and fat. I actually found restricting calories on that diet to be not too difficult.

So...I bet that wasn't too helpful.

Week 8 IF Check in:

Week 1 = -1 lbs. overall
Week 2 = -2 lbs. overall
Week 3 = -3.5 lbs. overall
Week 4 = -5.0 lbs. overall
Week 5 = -6.5 lbs. overall
Week 6 = -7.0 lbs. overall
Week 7 = -8.0 lbs. overall
Week 8 = -7.0 lbs. overall

Last week, I was super hungry on one of my IF days that I ate lunch.  I thought I had caught up by not eating breakfast 2 days later, but I guess not.  Obviously, I've stalled out a bit and need to watch the portion size.  My goal is to get to -15 lbs. or -20 lbs. as a stretch goal.  I've got a long way to go...
I'm sure we'll fatten you up again over here in Europe come summer - just wait until you see all the deep fried Scottish delicacies ;)  

I spent the day in Miami eating all the Cuban food.  All of it.  Also most of the rum.  Miami is now closed as there’s nothing left.  I might have gained 10 pounds today alone.  Worth it.
I love that you mostly just stop by to comment on your own bad days and like everyone else's good days.  You're like @Otis except you're still doing well with this.  

Been much less religious than January but still at ~440K meters this year. Few 2-3 day breaks thrown in when life comes too fast. Think I'm going to start 1x a week run now that it's nice out just for kicks - will see how it goes tomorrow. 

Slow and steady push for another couple months then a final push before pool season :boxing:
Good stuff brother. Keep at it  

Yesterday I saw a colleague I haven’t seen in probably a year, and she said “wow you’ve lost a ton of weight, you look great!”  That was a nice little motivator.   

I’m still rowing well. Rowing at least a 10k pretty much every day that I can. On the weekends I try to get in an hour row; would like to another half marathon row soon and start building up to row a full marathon.  Just hard to find 1.5 or 2 hours or more on a weekend with the wife and kids all kind of waiting on me—just a time limitation thing, physically I know I can get there.

My diet hasn’t been as good, but hasn’t been awful either. That’s where I can continue to focus my attention, because I think I have the exercise thing down pat. 

Haven’t weighed myself. Don’t care at this point. It’s more about the mirror and how my clothes fit. I’ll eventually weigh in again for curiosity’s sake. I don’t think I’ve really lost much more weight; I think I’m just moving it around, losing a little more fat and putting on a little lean muscle in my back, shoulders and legs from all this rowing. 

But I’m with you. Staying the course and trusting the process.  I’ve only really been rowing and eating like a normal human for 2 months. That’s after years of abuse to my body.  In another 3-4 months before summer I should be that much better off. 

Bonus: my Garmin app says fitness wise I’m 8 years younger than the average person my age. SUCK IT FORTY SOMETHINGS 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found IF to be super easy when I wasn't eating any simple carbs. When most of my calories come from protein and fat, my energy level seems to stay really consistent and hunger creeps up on me very slowly. I also agree with you on the rules for Keto/low-carb being really simple and easy to follow, once you get used to them. 

After my wife's fit about my diet and exercise, I don't really know how to think about what to eat. I enjoy meat and fatty foods in general, but you can't just eat them without thought when you are also consuming a material amount of carbs. That's a recipe for weight gain and other problems.

Calorie restriction sucks, again, unless you are getting most of your calories from protein and fat. I actually found restricting calories on that diet to be not too difficult.

So...I bet that wasn't too helpful.
Lol, its all good.

I decided to go forward with IF.  It is going to be the easiest to work into my schedule.  I don't really eat breakfast anyway, but usually will have something in the morning as a snack (protein bar or trail mix).  Cutting that out will take some adjustment.  My wife is trying to lose some weight, but the same programs never work for us.  She does the shopping and meal planning, so I can't be doing Keto while she's doing something different.  So, with IF, I can have whatever she plans for supper since it is healthy 90% of the time anyway.

Installed a simple IF tracker on my phone to see how this goes, and weighed in this morning.  Will see what kind of progress happens in a week.  Read that diet pop is a no-no during the fast, so sparkling water here I come.

9 weeks in. Jury duty this week has completely thrown off my exercise schedule. Been good on the diet though and can finally say it’s become a routine. For the first week since I started, I honestly don’t feel hungry all the time anymore.

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

2/13 - 172.2 lbs

2/20 - 171.0 lbs

2/27 - 169.6 lbs

3/5 - 167.4 lbs

9 weeks in. Jury duty this week has completely thrown off my exercise schedule. Been good on the diet though and can finally say it’s become a routine. For the first week since I started, I honestly don’t feel hungry all the time anymore.

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

2/13 - 172.2 lbs

2/20 - 171.0 lbs

2/27 - 169.6 lbs

3/5 - 167.4 lbs
Awesome. How are you doing it?

Awesome. How are you doing it?
Diet - I used iTrackBites (ww knockoff app) for about a month to figure out what I could/should be eating each meal/day. Once I figured out what I liked, now I just eat the same stuff every day.

Exercise - Been doing yoga/bow flex for 45-60 min/day 5-7x a week. Also either walk 3 miles or ski 3-5x a week.

Now that I’m on home confinement due to the coronavirus in WA this could go either way. Either I do a bunch of body weight exercises while home all day or stuff my face.

I don’t have the virus but work has told us to stay home for the rest of the month.

193.8 this morning  :pickle:   Based on BMI I am no longer obese - 194 is the cutoff for me     :lol:    

Sober Feb (for the most part), eating healthier and IF (most days), and doing some type of exercise (every day!) has been the key for my progress this year - I started at at 203 on 1/1/20.

Last edited by a moderator:
193.8 this morning  :pickle:   Based on BMI I am no longer obese - 194 is the cutoff for me     :lol:    

Sober Feb (for the most part), eating healthier and IF (most days), and doing some type of exercise (every day!) has been the key for my progress this year - I started at at 203 on 1/1/20.
Congrats!

1/1/2020 - 257.7

3/6/2020 - 244 (up almost 2 lbs this week)

I was not terrible with the diet, but did have a few snacks that I didn't need.  I also ate a salty dinner last night so I am hoping this is water weight.  Just a motivator to stay away from the junk.

Weighed in this morning, up 4 or 5 lbs in the past several weeks.  The first week in there was vacation, but the other two involved a combination of good amounts of rowing BUT not such careful approach to eating and limiting alcohol.  I still think I'm making progress, but I'm just not dropping pounds, and I'd like to.  Going to buckle down on the diet this coming week, and keep the rowing going.  Would like to get back to seeing that scale number drop.  Summer ain't coming any more slowly...

Weighed in this morning, up 4 or 5 lbs in the past several weeks.  The first week in there was vacation, but the other two involved a combination of good amounts of rowing BUT not such careful approach to eating and limiting alcohol.  I still think I'm making progress, but I'm just not dropping pounds, and I'd like to.  Going to buckle down on the diet this coming week, and keep the rowing going.  Would like to get back to seeing that scale number drop.  Summer ain't coming any more slowly...
Isn’t the more important thing that you’re generally leading a much healthier lifestyle?  

Isn’t the more important thing that you’re generally leading a much healthier lifestyle?  
No question that's a big positive.  And I feel great and am looking much better.  But I'm serious about trying to get straight up ripped/best shape of my life for this summer.  And I need to clamp down on diet if I am going to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread