Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread — May Challenge: folks are counting calories. There are lots of calories in brownies FYI

10 hours ago, Otis said:

Well, back from family vacation in Puerto Rico. We even continued the vacation yesterday for one extra day in NY. That’s 5 days of drinking a lot, eating as poorly as I could, and not exercising.  I won’t be weighing myself right now because it doesn’t matter; I’ll check again in a few weeks maybe. 

Today excited to be back in the saddle. Rowed a 10k this morning, won’t be drinking anymore. Looking forward to healthy eating. It’s funny but last night and once again recently I tried to have one of those small bags of snacks. Last night was Cheeze-Its. I used to love these things. As I ate them last night I couldn’t get more than 3 into the bag before it dawned on me that they taste like chemicals and crap and are completely unsatisfying. I’m just not interested. Much happier with some nuts or a piece of cheese or whole grain bread with avocado, etc. Actual food, not that processed in a bag crap.  Hell even Oreos, one of my former favorites, just taste like chemicals to me these days. 

Glad to be back.  Already feeling so much better after a row. Summer is still 4 months away.  Very easily could shed another 15-20lbs or more in that time, and be in actual legit good shape. 

:football:

Welcome back, gb! Been missing your morning posts to keep me motivated. Rowed 6 out of the last 7 days, but some have been short-ish. 

Did finally go for an all out 2K and cracked 7 at 6:55. 

Been eating mostly terribly but have been sticking to the fasting window so at least it's concentrated

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

9 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

weird isn't it?  this year, for me, it was halloween candy.  stuff just tasted foul.  real dark chocolate is awesome. anything else, just tastes gross to me.  keep on keeping on brother.

Wine still tastes very good.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 2

44 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Wine still tastes very good.

Sober February here. 😬

i did time my trip to Jackson hole, to start on 3/1 :pickle:

• Like 1

1 hour MAF row to start the day. No booze today; healthy foods. June Otis is looking handsome

ETA I think this was my longest distance row in one hour, and at my lowest HR. The system, it’s working. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Otis said:

1 hour MAF row to start the day. No booze today; healthy foods. June Otis is looking handsome

Relevant

;) 

Weekly weigh in is tomorrow but as of this morning I dropped into the 230s for the first time in 5+ years. 

It’s 40 degrees and raining and I’m heading out for a few miles. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, msommer said:

Maybe I’ll start up a Cheerios diet or bacon diet or something soon to mix it up. 

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Maybe I’ll start up a Cheerios diet or bacon diet or something soon to mix it up. 

Doctors hate him for this one simple trick

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

30 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

Signed up for a mud run 5k 11 weeks from now. Going to hold myself to it. Plan is to drop 27.5 pounds before then.

they are a blast  have fun

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

they are a blast  have fun

Thanks. Reminds me off some of the training we did in the Marines. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

Thanks. Reminds me off some of the training we did in the Marines. Looking forward to it.

i've done the marine corp mud run at camp pendleton, 3 times.  oooh rah

• Like 2

Happy Monday.  Rise and shine.  10k row and a coffee :coffee:

• Like 3

Last Sunday was my long run of 4.5 and Monday i did my tempo run of 5k. I didn't like doing those back to back. 

After that I did 4 miles of MAF running every day from Tuesday to Friday and started a little slower than I had been before (5.7 instead of 6 or 6.1 mph) which put me closer to 135 than 140 bpm for most of the run.  I wanted to see if 135 helps me improve more and also because I've been increasing my milage it seemed like a good idea to avoid injury.  My legs were getting heavy by Friday.  

Saturday was a planned rest day.  

Sunday was my new long run of 5 miles.  Started at 6.1 for a mile, then 5.7 for a mile, then 5.5 for half mile,  5.3 for a mile, 5.0 for a mile and then as usual i finished strong at 7mph for the final half mile.  Total was a bit under 54 minutes for 5 miles.  I still had enough left in the tank to have gone faster earlier but i didn't feel like my legs wanted to go much longer.  So I am interested to see how my speed looks this week when i do my tempo 5k. 

I think I'm going to stay at 4 miles for my standard daily distance this week and keep my next long run at 5 miles instead of increasing again.  I'm not training for anything specific and I'm happy enough with the distance I'm going now. I think my legs were plenty tired last week and have no interest in risking an injury.  Using my hypervolt on my it band, quads, calves and pirifornis as well. 

• Like 4

Week 1 of 15. Down 5.8 (24.2 overall) pounds to 238.2. Lowest I’ve been in a long time. 14 weeks before move back to NC. 31.7 pounds away from pre-move goal. End of this week and beginning of next week will be a test as I’m traveling and will be in a hotel for 5 nights. Won’t be an official weigh in for 2 weeks as I’m not taking my scale. If I can drop 7.7 over the next two weeks I’ll only need to drop 2 pounds a week over the last 12 which is doable.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Last Sunday was my long run of 4.5 and Monday i did my tempo run of 5k. I didn't like doing those back to back. 

After that I did 4 miles of MAF running every day from Tuesday to Friday and started a little slower than I had been before (5.7 instead of 6 or 6.1 mph) which put me closer to 135 than 140 bpm for most of the run.  I wanted to see if 135 helps me improve more and also because I've been increasing my milage it seemed like a good idea to avoid injury.  My legs were getting heavy by Friday.  

Saturday was a planned rest day.  

Sunday was my new long run of 5 miles.  Started at 6.1 for a mile, then 5.7 for a mile, then 5.5 for half mile,  5.3 for a mile, 5.0 for a mile and then as usual i finished strong at 7mph for the final half mile.  Total was a bit under 54 minutes for 5 miles.  I still had enough left in the tank to have gone faster earlier but i didn't feel like my legs wanted to go much longer.  So I am interested to see how my speed looks this week when i do my tempo 5k. 

I think I'm going to stay at 4 miles for my standard daily distance this week and keep my next long run at 5 miles instead of increasing again.  I'm not training for anything specific and I'm happy enough with the distance I'm going now. I think my legs were plenty tired last week and have no interest in risking an injury.  Using my hypervolt on my it band, quads, calves and pirifornis as well. 

Great work.

Have you tried running outside, btw? 

ETA -- And listen to your body.  If your legs are tired and/or you feel tired, take an extra rest day or 2 or back off your mileage, even if for a week.  As you said, you're not training for anything and no reason to risk injury. 

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 3

Down a pound last week while on Ski vacation.  I didn't hold back eating at all but luckily pushing it on the slopes made up for the lack of a diet.  Back to the full on diet now with hopes to lose another 15 lbs.  

Edited by Redwes25
  • Like 3

Trying the deload week thing this week. Easing off on volume and intensity of both resistance and cardio before ramping it back up next week. Doing that every 4-8 weeks is supposed to help. We’ll see.

• Like 1

Week 7 IF Check in:

Week 1 = -1 lbs. overall
Week 2 = -2 lbs. overall
Week 3 = -3.5 lbs. overall
Week 4 = -5.0 lbs. overall
Week 5 = -6.5 lbs. overall
Week 6 = -7.0 lbs. overall
Week 7 = -8.0 lbs. overall

Clothes are definitely fitting a bit better now.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Z Machine said:

Week 7 IF Check in:

Week 1 = -1 lbs. overall
Week 2 = -2 lbs. overall
Week 3 = -3.5 lbs. overall
Week 4 = -5.0 lbs. overall
Week 5 = -6.5 lbs. overall
Week 6 = -7.0 lbs. overall
Week 7 = -8.0 lbs. overall

Clothes are definitely fitting a bit better now.  

Is IF the only lifestyle change you have made?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

Is IF the only lifestyle change you have made?

Pretty much.  I still only work out once a week and I eat about the same amount of food at meals.  My diet was pretty healthy overall, just too many calories for a slowing metabolism.

I switched from skim milk to almond milk on my cereal, but that was due to methane and climate change.

• Like 2

Nice 10k over lunch in 41:25. Also ate 4 fresh out of the oven cookies with ice cream and hot fudge :)

• Like 3

Down another 2 pounds this week for 18.5 pounds YTD.  Still just eating healthy. Working out moderately. Drinking just on weekends and only a few light beers or low calorie mixed drinks.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Great work.

Have you tried running outside, btw? 

ETA -- And listen to your body.  If your legs are tired and/or you feel tired, take an extra rest day or 2 or back off your mileage, even if for a week.  As you said, you're not training for anything and no reason to risk injury. 

Yeah i think i could have run today but I'm taking the night off and eating maintenance calories with some wine. Partly because i wanted to rest my legs, partly because it worked better with my schedule today but mostly because I'm giving up booze and snacks for lent so this is my Mardi Gras/fat Tuesday as well as a good time for a rest day. 

Will see what i can do during my 5k tomorrow with a little better rest prior to my tempo run. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 8:26 AM, RedmondLonghorn said:

Trying the deload week thing this week. Easing off on volume and intensity of both resistance and cardio before ramping it back up next week. Doing that every 4-8 weeks is supposed to help. We’ll see.

Played lacrosse last night. This morning I went to the gym and did only 25 minutes of moderate intensity work (2.3 miles & 300 calories) on the elliptical. Almost felt guilty when I left.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, bostonfred said:

This was my first MAF run 24 days ago. I was bummed about giving up my sub 29 minute pace. 

I just finished a 5k in 26:57 and was disappointed because I didn't feel great and I slowed way down about 2/3 of the way through.  End of next week will be one month and i will be shooting for sub 26. 

Today was the one month mark for my 5k MAF training.  

25:59.

A month ago I was happy to break 29 minutes and afraid that training slow would hurt my speed. I know @fred_1_15301 and a few others were worried about the same.

I've shaved off nearly a minute per mile in one month and i feel like I will probably be down below 25 by the end of March.  

Taking a rest day Saturday before my Sunday long run and another Monday before my Tuesday tempo run helped too. The only speed work I've done is a weekly 5k to see how my speed  is doing - everything else has been at MAF pace,  and I've actually run slower this week than i was the week before.

I think I'm going to keep my long run capped at 5 miles for another week or two, and maybe add in some intervals one day this week to start getting used to running at closer to a 7 minute mile pace. Giving up booze and chips for lent should help a bit too.

• Like 2

I came into work this morning to boxes upon boxes of donuts available to the workplace.  Not a single one went in my mouth!

• Like 5

Thought I'd give a little update since I stopped regular postings after meeting my goal.  I've lost another 5-6 pounds off my initial goal.  I'll be settling in somewhere around this weight, maybe will lose a few more before I put myself in "maintenance mode."  Still doing WW officially.

Keeping up with the @Tecumsehchallenge, which I started the day after Thanksgiving, meaning today was my 89th day.  Still have only missed two days - Dec. 26 and 27 - and on the other 87 days have done some sort of purposeful exercise of at least an hour.   I'll continue this through at least March 15, as I'm also still participating in my group challenge that ends then.

Mmmm, I guess that's about it.  

Edited by krista4
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Today was the one month mark for my 5k MAF training.  

25:59.

A month ago I was happy to break 29 minutes and afraid that training slow would hurt my speed. I know @fred_1_15301 and a few others were worried about the same.

I've shaved off nearly a minute per mile in one month and i feel like I will probably be down below 25 by the end of March.  

Taking a rest day Saturday before my Sunday long run and another Monday before my Tuesday tempo run helped too. The only speed work I've done is a weekly 5k to see how my speed  is doing - everything else has been at MAF pace,  and I've actually run slower this week than i was the week before.

I think I'm going to keep my long run capped at 5 miles for another week or two, and maybe add in some intervals one day this week to start getting used to running at closer to a 7 minute mile pace. Giving up booze and chips for lent should help a bit too.

I hope I'm where you're at in a month.  This Saturday is my 4.5 mile run.  I've never run that distance in my life so it will be interesting.

Re: Having a supportive wife is Soooooo important:

1. It was my wife's idea for me to do the Broad street run.

2. I made us tofu lettuce wraps for dinner tonight but didn't eat a lot because of my run tonight.

3.  Immediately as I'm heading to the gym, she mentions that she left half a wrap for me to finish up.

4.  I tell her that I can't because I have to run.  She says "it's only like 5 bites"

5.  I tell her "this was your idea for me to do the run in the first place".

6.  She responds angrily "you're not the only one who's got stuff going on".   :loco: 

Now she's not at all overweight but she snacks every single night (just made herself a Smores lol).  I wish she would be fully on board with a healthy lifestyle.

3 hours ago, culdeus said:

Very sobering study on obesitya and how it ravages your body. 

https://www.concordia.ca/news/stories/2020/02/25/effects-of-obesity-mirror-those-of-aging-new-study-shows.html

More or less lines up all cause mortality of smoking with a bmi of 30+. 

Get healthy gb

So is BMI junk science or not?

Just now, msommer said:

So is BMI junk science or not?

They go into that.  At 30, you are simply fat.  No bones about it.  

There arguments to be made about 26-30 for certain lifestyles.  Using fat % might be a good guide or waist circumference.  None of those hold up with >30.   

Women especially seem vulnerable at 30.  They can't put on the level of muscle that men can, so that makes sense.

My company just moved offices... New office has a gym in the building, I've been working out at lunch. Gives me an extra 5-6 hours a week with my family and after I'm done working out, I prefer a healthy lunch. 

Some real positives here!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

At 30, you are simply fat.  No "big" bones about it.  

i think bmi is good for people that don't exercise at all.  i'm 'over weight" at 26.1 bmi  i wear a size 33 pants, can see the faintest shadow of abs, have a body fat % around 17.   and yet, i am over weight. :shrug: i would need to lose 12 lbs, to reach "healthy" on the bmi scale.  on the flip side, i would need to gain 28lbs, to hit 30 bmi

Edited by DA RAIDERS

8 weeks down. 15 total lbs lost. Milestone weigh-in this week. It hasn't been fun, but feels pretty good right now. :thumbup:

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

2/13 - 172.2 lbs

2/20 - 171.0 lbs

2/27 - 169.6 lbs

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

8 weeks down. 15 total lbs lost. Milestone weigh-in this week. It hasn't been fun, but feels pretty good right now. :thumbup:

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

2/13 - 172.2 lbs

2/20 - 171.0 lbs

2/27 - 169.6 lbs

Great work!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E-Z Glider said:

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

1/30 - 174.8 lbs

2/6 - 172.4 lbs

2/13 - 172.2 lbs

2/20 - 171.0 lbs

2/27 - 169.6 lbs

Really impressive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1/1 - 257.7

2/28 - 242.1

-15.6 lbs this year. 

Happy with the results since I had 2 travel soccer tournaments the past 2 weekends and strayed from WW a bit, but back at it since Monday. still MAF running 5-7 times per week. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

1/1 - 257.7

2/28 - 242.1

-15.6 lbs this year. 

Happy with the results since I had 2 travel soccer tournaments the past 2 weekends and strayed from WW a bit, but back at it since Monday. still MAF running 5-7 times per week. 

Imagine how much you'll lose if you shed your shell

• Thinking 1

I dipped below 164 yesterday. Started out in the 185-188 range last fall. My goal was to reach 165 by mid-April, when I turn 50.

So I am super happy about that.

What I am not happy about is that my wife now hates me. I am only exaggerating slightly. She feels betrayed because I did it on my own schedule and doing what works for me, while she wasn't able to. She hasn't lost any weight and is extremely angry with me and resentful about it. She told me a couple times along the way that she felt "left behind" and that my success made here feel worse about herself.

Part of this is irrational vanity and pettiness on her part. She says she finds me less attractive now, partly because I make her feel less attractive.

But some of it is because she told me what really mattered to her and she feels I disregarded it. If I am totally honest with myself, I guess I did. That second thing is a big deal to her and I think I understand why.

On the other hand, being #### on for doing something that was hard and that I am pretty proud of hurts my feelings and makes me angry. Last fall I was in a dark place emotionally and mentally and having something that I could control to obsess over, and finding success doing it, made me feel so much better emotionally and mentally.

It's a mess. 😕

5 hours ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

I dipped below 164 yesterday. Started out in the 185-188 range last fall. My goal was to reach 165 by mid-April, when I turn 50.

So I am super happy about that.

What I am not happy about is that my wife now hates me. I am only exaggerating slightly. She feels betrayed because I did it on my own schedule and doing what works for me, while she wasn't able to. She hasn't lost any weight and is extremely angry with me and resentful about it. She told me a couple times along the way that she felt "left behind" and that my success made here feel worse about herself.

Part of this is irrational vanity and pettiness on her part. She says she finds me less attractive now, partly because I make her feel less attractive.

But some of it is because she told me what really mattered to her and she feels I disregarded it. If I am totally honest with myself, I guess I did. That second thing is a big deal to her and I think I understand why.

On the other hand, being #### on for doing something that was hard and that I am pretty proud of hurts my feelings and makes me angry. Last fall I was in a dark place emotionally and mentally and having something that I could control to obsess over, and finding success doing it, made me feel so much better emotionally and mentally.

It's a mess. 😕

I think it’s great you’ve lost weight. It’s very selfish of your wife to feel as she does. She should always be on your side, in your corner not jealous of your success. 

keep up the good work and help your wife deal with her issues. Cuz she has major ones. 

• Like 1

Rough week in the old O house. No sense in going into it, but I only got to row twice this week, and did some crap eating and even some alcohol. Couldn’t row this morning but back at it with healthy eating, which I’ll carry into the weekend along with some solid rowing. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Rough week in the old O house. No sense in going into it, but I only got to row twice this week, and did some crap eating and even some alcohol. Couldn’t row this morning but back at it with healthy eating, which I’ll carry into the weekend along with some solid rowing. 

Back on the horse.  New day tomorrow!!

• Like 2