Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread — Newest fad: boring sustainable diet and exercise lifestyle diet

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I put sneeze in quotes, because it looks exactly like what I was suctioning out of someone's Trach site yesterday. "Moderate, tenacious sputum greenish/orange in color. pt experienced much relief after suctioning and spO2 rose back to 96 on humidified RA."

Really, again with the sexy talk?  "Suctioning" "tenancious spewtum*", just stop.  What next  synovial fluid as a joint lubricant?

 

* Good name for a band, a racehorse, or a wrestler.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2016 at 9:55 AM, Getzlaf15 said:

Are you pooping rocks yet?

 

53 minutes ago, matuski said:

I haven't pooped in 48+ hours.  Could become an issue.

:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ProstheticRGK said:

RN. Just switched around the same time I started this diet to the ICU, after 10 years in the OR. You in the medical field?

Peripherally, I work in the finance department at a hospital.  I have mad respect for RN's, RT, Docs, anyone who actually takes care of patients.  You guys are the ones who really determine whether or not someone has a reasonable or horrible hospital experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Yes, but here's the thing- it's just no optional to add the olive oil, not a deal breaker. There were days when I used the PAM EVOO spray to coat spuds before roasting, because, let's face it, fat tastes good and there is nothing better for getting that crispy texture. It didn't slow down my results, but YMMV. If that's your hang up, roll with some oil. Just use the spray, so you can keep the amount to the bare minimum.

My advice: Don't fast, at least for the first couple of days. Eat potatoes until you're full, whenever you're hungry. Something happened in my body after 3-4 days, where I just plain wasn't hungry anymore, and I could probably fast for a couple days at this point, if I wanted. I started doing some IF just as an extra to maximize results, but I haven't been very scientific about it. It's just really easy for me to go until 5:00 without eating, especially if I drink black coffee in the morning and tons of water all day.

 

i'm on day 3 and i feel that way right now.   I feel full and i haven't eaten a potato yet today,  is 11AM here in oregon.   I figured i was just bloated from so many carbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommyboy said:

i'm wondering if the end result of this will be like this  http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2349/2067757670_8e23fbce91_z.jpg

Yes, probably. But the upside will be an unlimited supply of Carolina Panthers Super Bowl 50 Champion t-shirts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

And in this day and age, WTF chews gum with sugar still?  You chewing Juicy Fruit, otherwise known as the gum that loses its taste fastest?

Best sugar gum #1

And #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xulf said:

Fruit Stripe is amazing when you're under the influence of good quality MDMA/Ecstasy  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chase Stuart said:

Think I'm going to do some grilling this weekend.  What's the best way to barbecue some potatoes?

Usually sweet potato wheels after partial boiling.. then brush with mixture of butter, brown sugar, and molasses. on this diet? No idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummmm Big League Chew FTW :shrug:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chase Stuart said:

Think I'm going to do some grilling this weekend.  What's the best way to barbecue some potatoes?

Heat grill

Throw potato on grill

Remove from grill and enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chase Stuart said:

Think I'm going to do some grilling this weekend.  What's the best way to barbecue some potatoes?

I'd marinate them in the fat of dead animals to bring out that full potato flavor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

So basically if you don't like potatoes you can't lose weight?

what kind of loser doesn't like potatoes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

what kind of loser doesn't like potatoes?

Good question.  I love sweet potatoes,  will eat a good baked potato with butter, hate hashbrowns, hate thick french fries, like thin french fries.  Mashed potatoes are pretty good though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Probably not allowed on this diet without modifications but Hasselback potatoes on the grill are delicious.

Those look great. A quick substitute for me, just eyeballing it, would be to use arrowroot or cornstarch mixed with veggie/mushroom stock instead of butter/oil. Throw a tbsp of thickener into a jar, with all the powdered ingredients, add cold stock, put on the lid and shake the beejeezus out of it. Use that to glaze the potatoes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

what kind of loser doesn't like potatoes?

:hey:

I grew up with an Irish mom and had some form of potato on my plate nearly every single meal.  It was too much, I tapped out early, and never returned.  I'm the rare Irishman who hates potatoes.

Oddly, I found a woman who shares my disdain for potatoes.  Not many spud dishes being served in our house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, [icon] said:

Bite your tongue, crazy person. 


THREAD TITLE CORRECTION SUGGESTION: 

"DESTINATION: WEIGHT LOSS - FULL SPUD AHEAD!!!!"

 

"LORD OF THE FRIES" IMHO

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need an Answer to my question from prosthetic rpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

No skins, right???

 

I hit the skins for the hell of it, just for the yell I get
Mmm mmm mmm, for the smell of it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NYT just published this yesterday

 

Quote

Potatoes Tied to High Blood Pressure Risk

By
Nicholas Bakalar

May 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Eating potatoes four or more times a week may increase the risk for high blood pressure, a large new study has found.

Researchers pooled results from three observational studies involving 187,453 men and women followed for more than 25 years. The participants returned health and diet questionnaires every two years, including whether a doctor had diagnosed hypertension. The study is in BMJ.

After controlling for body mass index, physical activity, smoking and other factors, they found that compared to eating potatoes only once a month, having one potato — baked, boiled or mashed — four to six times a week increased the risk for hypertension by 11 percent. Eating four or more four-ounce servings of French fries a week increased the risk by 17 percent. Adjusting for salt and saturated fat intake did not change the results, but the authors acknowledge that they could not control for all possible variables.

The researchers suggest that potatoes cause a rapid rise in blood glucose levels, which is associated with blood vessel problems and inflammation. This may increase the risk for hypertension.

“We don’t completely know what a healthy diet is,” said the lead author, Dr. Lea Borgi, an associate physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, “and I have no opinions about what people should eat. It’s important that studies like this continue the discussion.”

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am craving some meat right about now.

Potatoes still sound good, and this shall pass.. but I am jonesing for a Chicken Sammich/Burger/Steak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tommyboy said:

I need an Answer to my question from prosthetic rpg

This one?:

2 hours ago, tommyboy said:

No skins, right???

 

I answered already up thread, sorry. I eat them. Solanin level toxicity not really something I'm scared of.

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you guys exercising, or the potato diet doesn't require this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Are you guys exercising, or the potato diet doesn't require this?

Doesn't require it.. I am though.

Push ups, Pull ups, running/walking with dog.  Hit the gym for weights and cardio today... probably why I am having a moment of weakness on the cravings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, matuski said:

Doesn't require it.. I am though.

Push ups, Pull ups, running/walking with dog.  Hit the gym for weights and cardio today... probably why I am having a moment of weakness on the cravings.

You burn a little under a calorie a push up (weight depending), so you need to do a #### ton of them to see benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

You burn a little under a calorie a push up (weight depending), so you need to do a #### ton of them to see benefits.

Not doing pushups to burn calories.  

Also.. did 9 pullups at 240lbs lastnight.  /flex

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Are you guys exercising, or the potato diet doesn't require this?

Not required, but I am. Doing the very beginner level workout from Convict Conditioning, which MT recommended. Great book, easy read. Workouts are making my body sore, but in a good way. Hoping to get to the point that I can do handstand push-ups, shrimp squats, full pull-ups and full bridges by the end of next summer. But I have a long way to go. Focus is more on functional strength than glory muscles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Never trust a journalist to interpret scientific studies for you. Dangerous conclusions from that article and really, really oversimplified. I read the study Abstract, and those conclusions don't jive with what I read, at all. That's from a cursory skimming of it, without looking into the guts of their statistical modeling, which I am too lazy to do.

my main takeaways: this is a meta analysis of  prospective longitudinal cohort study, you cannot derive something as factual as "eating a potato a week causes alarming blood sugar spikes and hypertension" from this type of analysis. They found there was statistically significant correlation between potato consumption and hypertension. It bears more study, sure, but it does not mean that eating a potato will give you diabetes or high blood pressure.

also, the methodology is a little shoddy and/or intentionally misleading. It's based on self-reported questionnaires sent to RNs over the years. People are notoriously lousy historians when it comes to what they ate and timeframes of when their medical problems began. Also, they broke out potato chips into its own unique category, but left freedom fries lumped in with baked, boiled, roasted potatoes. :loco: Man, I know Nurses, and the likelihood that their potato consumption per week was 95% French fries to 5% baked, boiled, roasted is about 100%.

I once made a bet with a coworker that I could put a can of Alpo on a plate with some crackers, put it on the table in our break room, and it would be gone in 30 minutes. I never did it because that's a horrible, unethical thing to do. but I would have won that money.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a knife wielding madman was shot on the streets of NYC today after going after folks with a knife. Otis potato rage?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

The concern with high GI foods is that some have an outsized response in triglycerides.  For some it doesn't matter. There must be a genetic component or a different  variable in play.

Same thing happens with hflc in some people. So theres some room for more research. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there's no question that potatoes spike blood glucose.  The question is, does it matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://i.imgur.com/9WQQIiI.jpg

425 calories, kale Caesar, some T2 Turkish Cherry. Delicious, rounding out a healthy day and getting ready for the gym.

All that's left is eating a raw potato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Not required, but I am. Doing the very beginner level workout from Convict Conditioning, which MT recommended. Great book, easy read. Workouts are making my body sore, but in a good way. Hoping to get to the point that I can do handstand push-ups, shrimp squats, full pull-ups and full bridges by the end of next summer. But I have a long way to go. Focus is more on functional strength than glory muscles. 

Just had this book delivered today. But to be clear, I'm going straight for the glory muscles. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Never trust a journalist to interpret scientific studies for you. Dangerous conclusions from that article and really, really oversimplified. I read the study Abstract, and those conclusions don't jive with what I read, at all. That's from a cursory skimming of it, without looking into the guts of their statistical modeling, which I am too lazy to do.

my main takeaways: this is a meta analysis of  prospective longitudinal cohort study, you cannot derive something as factual as "eating a potato a week causes alarming blood sugar spikes and hypertension" from this type of analysis. They found there was statistically significant correlation between potato consumption and hypertension. It bears more study, sure, but it does not mean that eating a potato will give you diabetes or high blood pressure.

also, the methodology is a little shoddy and/or intentionally misleading. It's based on self-reported questionnaires sent to RNs over the years. People are notoriously lousy historians when it comes to what they ate and timeframes of when their medical problems began. Also, they broke out potato chips into its own unique category, but left freedom fries lumped in with baked, boiled, roasted potatoes. :loco: Man, I know Nurses, and the likelihood that their potato consumption per week was 95% French fries to 5% baked, boiled, roasted is about 100%.

I once made a bet with a coworker that I could put a can of Alpo on a plate with some crackers, put it on the table in our break room, and it would be gone in 30 minutes. I never did it because that's a horrible, unethical thing to do. but I would have won that money.

Stopped reading where you said "jive" and equated your commencement of this diet based on the recommendation of someone from a magic football site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Yes, but here's the thing- it's just no optional to add the olive oil, not a deal breaker. There were days when I used the PAM EVOO spray to coat spuds before roasting, because, let's face it, fat tastes good and there is nothing better for getting that crispy texture. It didn't slow down my results, but YMMV. If that's your hang up, roll with some oil. Just use the spray, so you can keep the amount to the bare minimum.

My advice: Don't fast, at least for the first couple of days. Eat potatoes until you're full, whenever you're hungry. Something happened in my body after 3-4 days, where I just plain wasn't hungry anymore, and I could probably fast for a couple days at this point, if I wanted. I started doing some IF just as an extra to maximize results, but I haven't been very scientific about it. It's just really easy for me to go until 5:00 without eating, especially if I drink black coffee in the morning and tons of water all day.

Today I was kind of forced into IF.  It's now 7:12 and I still haven't eaten today.  I have done this in the past, but normally I'm kind of cranky when I get home and haven't eaten.  Tonight the potatoes are cooking, but seriously, I could probably go to tomorrow morning and be fine.    I've never gone a full 24+ without solid food I don't think... tempted to give it a try at some point.  But the spuds are already cookin, so I'll try it another day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, matuski said:

I haven't pooped in 48+ hours.  Could become an issue.

I'm having a similar experience.  Very little/limited poop in the past couple of days.  It's like my system is just about cleared of all the garbage that had accumulated.  Sounds like I need to drink a lot more water than I am.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xulf said:

Stopped reading where you said "jive" and equated your commencement of this diet based on the recommendation of someone from a magic football site.

:wub: This is a man that knows things. I am an idiot, sir. But an idiot that recognizes that he is an idiot can accomplish great things. It is self-deception that I fear/loathe.

that begins said: it was autocorrect. Every idiot in the world should know it's jibe not jive. (Full disclosure: it wasn't autocorrect, and I have been misusing that word, probably all my life. How often does one use the word jibe, though? Or jive. Luckily, not many.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Just had this book delivered today. But to be clear, I'm going straight for the glory muscles. 

I would be disappointed if you didn't. And I would be equally disappointed if you didn't go straight for level 6 of every exercise, but I like you, so I am going to caution restraint. Drink some water, Champion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had a buddy back in the day who would make a bong out of a potatoe so all i am saying is that if you are in colorado you could combine this diet thing with the latest craze out there bromigos take that to the bank

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My poos are awesome and I had lots of energy for slo pitch softball tonight. I skipped breakfast and had a mix of boiled potatoes and a baked potato for lunch and boiled potatoes and mashed with some garlic for supper. I've been drinking black coffee and find I actually like it about the same as with cream/sugar.

I know calorie wise i probably haven't had near enough for the day but other than in the AM and briefly before dinner, I haven't really felt too hungry. Kind of forced myself to eat more for dinner to have energy to run etc,, to be honest. Not missing food, am kind of craving a beer though.

My wife on the other hand is finding it tough on her stomach and bailed at dinner tonight. My plan is to go until Friday dinner, where I'm going out and don't really want to order all the baked potatoes.

 

 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one plate of baked potatoes (in french fry format, with some spices) -- probably totaled like 2 or 3 medium sized potatoes -- and I ate that for dinner.  That's all I've eaten all day.  I just drank a glass of water.  Now I'm seriously not even hungry.  How is this even possible?

Day 3 is in the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.