What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

RN. Just switched around the same time I started this diet to the ICU, after 10 years in the OR. You in the medical field?
Peripherally, I work in the finance department at a hospital.  I have mad respect for RN's, RT, Docs, anyone who actually takes care of patients.  You guys are the ones who really determine whether or not someone has a reasonable or horrible hospital experience.

Yes, but here's the thing- it's just no optional to add the olive oil, not a deal breaker. There were days when I used the PAM EVOO spray to coat spuds before roasting, because, let's face it, fat tastes good and there is nothing better for getting that crispy texture. It didn't slow down my results, but YMMV. If that's your hang up, roll with some oil. Just use the spray, so you can keep the amount to the bare minimum.

My advice: Don't fast, at least for the first couple of days. Eat potatoes until you're full, whenever you're hungry. Something happened in my body after 3-4 days, where I just plain wasn't hungry anymore, and I could probably fast for a couple days at this point, if I wanted. I started doing some IF just as an extra to maximize results, but I haven't been very scientific about it. It's just really easy for me to go until 5:00 without eating, especially if I drink black coffee in the morning and tons of water all day.

i'm on day 3 and i feel that way right now.   I feel full and i haven't eaten a potato yet today,  is 11AM here in oregon.   I figured i was just bloated from so many carbs

Probably not allowed on this diet without modifications but Hasselback potatoes on the grill are delicious.
Those look great. A quick substitute for me, just eyeballing it, would be to use arrowroot or cornstarch mixed with veggie/mushroom stock instead of butter/oil. Throw a tbsp of thickener into a jar, with all the powdered ingredients, add cold stock, put on the lid and shake the beejeezus out of it. Use that to glaze the potatoes. 

what kind of loser doesn't like potatoes?
:hey:

I grew up with an Irish mom and had some form of potato on my plate nearly every single meal.  It was too much, I tapped out early, and never returned.  I'm the rare Irishman who hates potatoes.

Oddly, I found a woman who shares my disdain for potatoes.  Not many spud dishes being served in our house.

I am craving some meat right about now.

Potatoes still sound good, and this shall pass.. but I am jonesing for a Chicken Sammich/Burger/Steak.

Are you guys exercising, or the potato diet doesn't require this?
Doesn't require it.. I am though.

Push ups, Pull ups, running/walking with dog.  Hit the gym for weights and cardio today... probably why I am having a moment of weakness on the cravings.

Doesn't require it.. I am though.

Push ups, Pull ups, running/walking with dog.  Hit the gym for weights and cardio today... probably why I am having a moment of weakness on the cravings.
You burn a little under a calorie a push up (weight depending), so you need to do a #### ton of them to see benefits.

Are you guys exercising, or the potato diet doesn't require this?
Not required, but I am. Doing the very beginner level workout from Convict Conditioning, which MT recommended. Great book, easy read. Workouts are making my body sore, but in a good way. Hoping to get to the point that I can do handstand push-ups, shrimp squats, full pull-ups and full bridges by the end of next summer. But I have a long way to go. Focus is more on functional strength than glory muscles. 

Never trust a journalist to interpret scientific studies for you. Dangerous conclusions from that article and really, really oversimplified. I read the study Abstract, and those conclusions don't jive with what I read, at all. That's from a cursory skimming of it, without looking into the guts of their statistical modeling, which I am too lazy to do.

my main takeaways: this is a meta analysis of  prospective longitudinal cohort study, you cannot derive something as factual as "eating a potato a week causes alarming blood sugar spikes and hypertension" from this type of analysis. They found there was statistically significant correlation between potato consumption and hypertension. It bears more study, sure, but it does not mean that eating a potato will give you diabetes or high blood pressure.

also, the methodology is a little shoddy and/or intentionally misleading. It's based on self-reported questionnaires sent to RNs over the years. People are notoriously lousy historians when it comes to what they ate and timeframes of when their medical problems began. Also, they broke out potato chips into its own unique category, but left freedom fries lumped in with baked, boiled, roasted potatoes.  :loco:  Man, I know Nurses, and the likelihood that their potato consumption per week was 95% French fries to 5% baked, boiled, roasted is about 100%.

I once made a bet with a coworker that I could put a can of Alpo on a plate with some crackers, put it on the table in our break room, and it would be gone in 30 minutes. I never did it because that's a horrible, unethical thing to do. but I would have won that money.

Not required, but I am. Doing the very beginner level workout from Convict Conditioning, which MT recommended. Great book, easy read. Workouts are making my body sore, but in a good way. Hoping to get to the point that I can do handstand push-ups, shrimp squats, full pull-ups and full bridges by the end of next summer. But I have a long way to go. Focus is more on functional strength than glory muscles. 
Just had this book delivered today. But to be clear, I'm going straight for the glory muscles. 

Never trust a journalist to interpret scientific studies for you. Dangerous conclusions from that article and really, really oversimplified. I read the study Abstract, and those conclusions don't jive with what I read, at all. That's from a cursory skimming of it, without looking into the guts of their statistical modeling, which I am too lazy to do.

my main takeaways: this is a meta analysis of  prospective longitudinal cohort study, you cannot derive something as factual as "eating a potato a week causes alarming blood sugar spikes and hypertension" from this type of analysis. They found there was statistically significant correlation between potato consumption and hypertension. It bears more study, sure, but it does not mean that eating a potato will give you diabetes or high blood pressure.

also, the methodology is a little shoddy and/or intentionally misleading. It's based on self-reported questionnaires sent to RNs over the years. People are notoriously lousy historians when it comes to what they ate and timeframes of when their medical problems began. Also, they broke out potato chips into its own unique category, but left freedom fries lumped in with baked, boiled, roasted potatoes.  :loco:  Man, I know Nurses, and the likelihood that their potato consumption per week was 95% French fries to 5% baked, boiled, roasted is about 100%.

I once made a bet with a coworker that I could put a can of Alpo on a plate with some crackers, put it on the table in our break room, and it would be gone in 30 minutes. I never did it because that's a horrible, unethical thing to do. but I would have won that money.
Stopped reading where you said "jive" and equated your commencement of this diet based on the recommendation of someone from a magic football site.

Yes, but here's the thing- it's just no optional to add the olive oil, not a deal breaker. There were days when I used the PAM EVOO spray to coat spuds before roasting, because, let's face it, fat tastes good and there is nothing better for getting that crispy texture. It didn't slow down my results, but YMMV. If that's your hang up, roll with some oil. Just use the spray, so you can keep the amount to the bare minimum.

My advice: Don't fast, at least for the first couple of days. Eat potatoes until you're full, whenever you're hungry. Something happened in my body after 3-4 days, where I just plain wasn't hungry anymore, and I could probably fast for a couple days at this point, if I wanted. I started doing some IF just as an extra to maximize results, but I haven't been very scientific about it. It's just really easy for me to go until 5:00 without eating, especially if I drink black coffee in the morning and tons of water all day.
Today I was kind of forced into IF.  It's now 7:12 and I still haven't eaten today.  I have done this in the past, but normally I'm kind of cranky when I get home and haven't eaten.  Tonight the potatoes are cooking, but seriously, I could probably go to tomorrow morning and be fine.    I've never gone a full 24+ without solid food I don't think... tempted to give it a try at some point.  But the spuds are already cookin, so I'll try it another day.

I haven't pooped in 48+ hours.  Could become an issue.
I'm having a similar experience.  Very little/limited poop in the past couple of days.  It's like my system is just about cleared of all the garbage that had accumulated.  Sounds like I need to drink a lot more water than I am.  

Stopped reading where you said "jive" and equated your commencement of this diet based on the recommendation of someone from a magic football site.
:wub:  This is a man that knows things. I am an idiot, sir. But an idiot that recognizes that he is an idiot can accomplish great things. It is self-deception that I fear/loathe.

that begins said: it was autocorrect. Every idiot in the world should know it's jibe not jive. (Full disclosure: it wasn't autocorrect, and I have been misusing that word, probably all my life. How often does one use the word jibe, though? Or jive. Luckily, not many.)

Just had this book delivered today. But to be clear, I'm going straight for the glory muscles. 
I would be disappointed if you didn't. And I would be equally disappointed if you didn't go straight for level 6 of every exercise, but I like you, so I am going to caution restraint. Drink some water, Champion.

My poos are awesome and I had lots of energy for slo pitch softball tonight. I skipped breakfast and had a mix of boiled potatoes and a baked potato for lunch and boiled potatoes and mashed with some garlic for supper. I've been drinking black coffee and find I actually like it about the same as with cream/sugar.

I know calorie wise i probably haven't had near enough for the day but other than in the AM and briefly before dinner, I haven't really felt too hungry. Kind of forced myself to eat more for dinner to have energy to run etc,, to be honest. Not missing food, am kind of craving a beer though.

My wife on the other hand is finding it tough on her stomach and bailed at dinner tonight. My plan is to go until Friday dinner, where I'm going out and don't really want to order all the baked potatoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one plate of baked potatoes (in french fry format, with some spices) -- probably totaled like 2 or 3 medium sized potatoes -- and I ate that for dinner.  That's all I've eaten all day.  I just drank a glass of water.  Now I'm seriously not even hungry.  How is this even possible?

Day 3 is in the books.

one thing you gotta watch out for in potatoes is potatoe bugs they do not hurt you if eat them they are just protien but they will lay eggs in you and when they hatch the baby potatoe bugs will eat you from the inside out i have seen it happen a bunch of times take that to the bank bromigos 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two medium potatoes for dinner and feel like I just went to a fancy steakhouse, had apps, soup, salad. 14oz ribeye and some side dishes. I'm stuffed

Really makes you think about the volume of food you can typically eat. I think I'm going to incorporate potatoes in virtually all meals going forward just as filler, so I eat less "stuff" that's unnecessary 

I had one plate of baked potatoes (in french fry format, with some spices) -- probably totaled like 2 or 3 medium sized potatoes -- and I ate that for dinner.  That's all I've eaten all day.  I just drank a glass of water.  Now I'm seriously not even hungry.  How is this even possible?

Day 3 is in the books.
Because you are eating stuff that's quite literally off the charts on the glycemic index, and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread