What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

I had one plate of baked potatoes (in french fry format, with some spices) -- probably totaled like 2 or 3 medium sized potatoes -- and I ate that for dinner.  That's all I've eaten all day.  I just drank a glass of water.  Now I'm seriously not even hungry.  How is this even possible?

Day 3 is in the books.
200 lbs here you come

This could've been an episode of Seinfeld. Nothing but potatoes! Something Kramer came up with. By the end of the episode Elaine walks in on Mr. Peterman eating potatoes.  Jerry's date orders only potatoes. George goes to his parents house for dinner where he learns they're only having potatoes. Episode practically writes itself.

one thing you should try is potatoe three ways like one could be baked another could be mushed up and another could be microwaved or something maybe save that for friday or saturday with your wife and romance it up some since anything three ways just sounds kinda french take that to the your welcome bank brohans

Fat free Fage Yogurt breakfast with granola & banana

salad, salmon, grilled chicken lunch

Whey protein shake

kale chicken Caesar salad dinner

275 lbs bench 12x - I lift bruh

casein protein shake

4 peanut M&M's & 3 red gummy bears

Gonna eat 10 raw potatoes now

Last edited by a moderator:
In all seriousness, I really don't understand why just eating smart is so hard for most of you? I mean, I get it, it's difficult to make the initial changes, but once you do, your body will thank you. If you can seriously just eat potatoes and have the willpower to stick with it, you can prob adjust your diet instead.

The real problem with a fad diet is keeping the weight off. If you don't learn how to eat properly, you'll just revert to old habits once off the diet (regardless of how successful it was) and regain the weight.

If you just simply make smart changes, you don't have to change anything after you reach your target and develop new healthier habits.

Unless of course your intentions are eating only potatoes forever.

I'm having a similar experience.  Very little/limited poop in the past couple of days.  It's like my system is just about cleared of all the garbage that had accumulated.  Sounds like I need to drink a lot more water than I am.  
Not pooping for 48 hours cannot be good. Have you consulted with your doctor Otis? We can't afford to lose good men daggummit. 

In other news...Paramedics were rushed to a dwelling in New York to rescue a man simply known as Otis, who was rushed to Mt Sinai where he was diagnosed with a severe case of Mr. Potato Head. He would later go on to name his kids Spud and Yam(look it up).

In all seriousness, I really don't understand why just eating smart is so hard for most of you? I mean, I get it, it's difficult to make the initial changes, but once you do, your body will thank you. If you can seriously just eat potatoes and have the willpower to stick with it, you can prob adjust your diet instead.

The real problem with a fad diet is keeping the weight off. If you don't learn how to eat properly, you'll just revert to old habits once off the diet (regardless of how successful it was) and regain the weight.

If you just simply make smart changes, you don't have to change anything after you reach your target and develop new healthier habits.

Weren't you just upstairs smoking a joint?

I had two medium potatoes for dinner and feel like I just went to a fancy steakhouse, had apps, soup, salad. 14oz ribeye and some side dishes. I'm stuffed

Really makes you think about the volume of food you can typically eat. I think I'm going to incorporate potatoes in virtually all meals going forward just as filler, so I eat less "stuff" that's unnecessary 
This is the big takeaway from this. 

Stalled today on the weight progress, which is frustrating and confusing given how little I ate yesterday.  That said, I've dropped over a pound per day this week, hard to expect more than that. 

Day 5:

225.6 (Same as yesterday)

Body fat down to 21.7%. I know that these scales are questionable in the way they measure this (this is a Fitbit Aria), but at least in relative terms, it's the lowest reading I've ever seen on this scale (interesting because when I was on a health kick last year I got all the way down to 221 lbs, but even in those weeks body fat was right around 24.7%)  

According to my friend Google, Underfat: under 8 percent, Healthy: 8-19 percent, Overweight: 19-25 percent, Obese: over 25 percent -- so I'm starting to knock on Healthy's door...

Eat right and do some exercise?

That's boring!

Having said that.. I want to go harder on the workouts.

After going to the gym at lunch yesterday I went for another run with the dog in the evening.  I crashed hard.. nausea/etc.

Think I am going to bring in a meal a day.

Having said that.. I want to go harder on the workouts.

After going to the gym at lunch yesterday I went for another run with the dog in the evening.  I crashed hard.. nausea/etc.

Think I am going to bring in a meal a day.
Post as much detail as you can about what/amounts you eat, when adding stuff in, please. And how you feel. Interested to hear what works for others.

Woke up feeling kind of groggy today, slight headache. And yet, still not all that hungry.  The amount of food I've gotten by on this week is amazing to me. I'm probably eating way too little, but my body just isn't calling for it, so I'm following along.  I do have some concerns about losing muscle mass, and want to pick up with some more push ups and resistance band work than I've been doing. 

Remembered to bring my potatoes today. Brought 1.5 boiled red potatoes.  Should be enough to get me through the day without issue. 

By the way, through all this, due to my wife being pregnant and us making half decaf in the morning, and then me slowly drinking less and less, I'm almost completed weaned off of caffeine. In the past I would really struggle nasty withdrawal symptoms without it. I'm almost kind of over coffee. 

So in the past couple of weeks I've killed off addictions to booze, food, and caffeine.   And I haven't gambled in months. I'm all out of vices. I'm basically Amish. 

Woke up feeling kind of groggy today, slight headache. And yet, still not all that hungry.  The amount of food I've gotten by on this week is amazing to me. I'm probably eating way too little, but my body just isn't calling for it, so I'm following along.  I do have some concerns about losing muscle mass, and want to pick up with some more push ups and resistance band work than I've been doing. 

Remembered to bring my potatoes today. Brought 1.5 boiled red potatoes.  Should be enough to get me through the day without issue. 

By the way, through all this, due to my wife being pregnant and us making half decaf in the morning, and then me slowly drinking less and less, I'm almost completed weaned off of caffeine. In the past I would really struggle nasty withdrawal symptoms without it. I'm almost kind of over coffee. 

So in the past couple of weeks I've killed off addictions to booze, food, and caffeine.   And I haven't gambled in months. I'm all out of vices. I'm basically Amish. 
Tomorrow is FRIDAY!

Tomorrow is FRIDAY!
Very true. And I'm having my cheat dinner out at a steakhouse.  A couple drinks, piece of meat, some greens. Probably skip on the potatoes. 
no way brohan when the guy says what to you want you say i will have the steak and when he says how do you want it done say can you replace it with a potatoe and when they say what do you want for a side say potatoe and when they say what kind of soup ask for it to be replaced with a potatoe but do it all totally serious so the waiter dude is like what the f and you will blow his mind up and also keep on losing weight win win as far as i am concerned take that to the bank 

Yeesh, why bother waking up in the morning.

One morning two Amish ladies, Ruth and Sarah, were in the garden digging up potatoes.

Suddenly Ruth pull a very large potato out from the earth, raises it up to show Sarah and says “Oh! This one reminds me of my husband, Hezekiah”!

Sarah: “That big”?

Ruth: “No, that dirty”.

Not following your reasoning. Can you explain?
Not sure what's controversial here.  Spuds are basically 100 on the Glycemic Index.  In fact, I think at one time the GI was set from 0 to 100 but they had to go back and later make russets like 105 even higher than sugar before finally recalibrating it.  

Your body as you deplete yourself of sugar begins to leach sugar from first your liver, then your muscles, your insulin levels drop which signals even more sugar to release from the liver.  

For most people it is at this point where they feel hunger.  Well, if you give yourself nothing to eat but stuff that's easily converted into glycogen and is also like 100 on the GI your pancreas won't ever feel the need to shut down and you might not feel hungry.

This is the same reason why I've always argued that steady state cardio vs. HIIT seems to always win out in favor of HIIT, those doing HIIT aren't doing anything "better" from a calorie perspective they are just preventing hunger from post workout snacking (by keeping glyogen stores higher), which seems to be the main derailment that the treadmill types run into.

So when someone just goes on MFP app and says I'm gonna eat 1000 under TDEE what they can tend to run into is wild blood sugar swings, and ultimately hunger, because their insulin balance is still relatively similar to their prior diet and they've done nothing to change this.  Eventually they get issues with leptin and other hormones that stall their weight loss and they gain it all back and then some usually because in the process of cutting under TDEE their body selectively took out muscle, not fat, for energy.   And that in a nutshell is why calorie cutting simply doesn't work.

I am usually the #1 advocate of eating healthy balanced meals and exercizing a few times a week to maintain a decent weight, so I agree with you. I am doing for three days for a few reasons.

First for curiosity, I read up a lot on it as people were getting started here and there are so many success stories, it really does seem to work but it doesn't make sense to me, so I'm trying it for myself.

Second, if I'm being honest, I'm doing it as a bit of a "hey watch this" to a couple low carb friends and family members. My SIL wouldn't have a burger at my mom's last weekend because there was an 1/8th cup of breadcrumbs spread over 8 burgers. That's 1/64 of a cup and it's a no go because of your ridiculous diet? I'll see that and raise you only eating potatoes as a ridiculous diet.

Third, in reading, most sites talk about it as a 3-5 day things that can sort of reset your body while restoring healthy bacteria and they say as a result of that, you don't immediately gain back all the weight they day after you stop eating only potatoes - this one has me most curious and most skeptical.

Fourth, I generally weight between 205-210 and I'm pretty fine with that. Too much over 210, I start to see the start of a double chin and man boobs, for some reason that seems like the magic number for when I start to look fat. Lately, I've been more between 210-215. Over the past couple weeks I've been especially bad. I'm sure after a particularly indulgent Saturday night I would have been 220 but no chance I was getting on the scale. I did on Tuesday, when I decided to participate here:

Tuesday - 217.5 lbs

Wednesday 215 lbs.

Thursday/This AM - 210.9lbs

Now like I say, I have been in the 210-215 range anyway, so that is a bit more drastic than it really looks, knowing that if I just ate like I always did, I'd be under 215 by now. But i don't think I'd be as low as I am now. It came off way quicker than usual. I played squash on Tuesday, baseball last night and will play squash tonight but that isn't different, I do that every week. Other major differences have been black coffee, I usually have it regular, but that's only 40 cals a cup and I only have a couple a day. Probably a big one is that I haven't had a beer either night. I don't drink every night anyway, but I likely would have had the dark ale in the fridge last night while I watched the Jays game if it weren't for this diet.

Anyway, if the results hold into tomorrow and through the weekend, I'll probably do this for a few days here and there as a reset/quick way to drop a couple nagging pounds/recovery type diet but in between I'll eat like I always do, which is no specific diet but if pushed, I try to do 40/30/30 carb/prot/fat and it generally keeps me at a healthy weight as long as I'm not too much of an ####### on weekends.

you don't gain it all back after stopping eating potatoes because it's not water weight.  

Doing a keto fast you will gain a lot back on the very first day because there is water weight associated with glycogen, and on keto you basically have removed all the glycogen from the liver and replaced it with other stuff that is not hydroscopic.

Do you burned an extra 23,100 calories by eating just potatoes for 2 days? :confused:
People need to stop weighing themselves every day.  This kind of real ("fat" + "muscle") weight loss in a few days is impossible.  If your diet results (after a few weeks) with looser clothes, then you can bet you're losing actual "fat".

Last edited by a moderator:
People need to stop weighing themselves every day.  This kind of real ("fat" + "muscle") weight loss in a few days is impossible.  If your diet results (after a few weeks) with looser clothes, then you can bet you're losing actual "fat".
No ####. I qualified the loss several times in that post, but it's still greater than it would have been on a normal diet. Also, calorie deficit numbers are nowhere near as black and white as they're generally presented, the body is a much more complex system than that.

Culdeus, are you pro or con on this diet?
It's something that's worth doing for about 3-4 weeks, cycling off it, and coming back to as needed.

There are risks here.  You need to get regular bloodwork and checkups if doing it longer than about a month.  It can cause some strange blood markers in certain populations.  

Some concerns, huh.

Could someone provide the basic rules of this. I'm trying to talk the GF into doing this starting saturday for a week just to see how it goes. 

No ####. I qualified the loss several times in that post, but it's still greater than it would have been on a normal diet. Also, calorie deficit numbers are nowhere near as black and white as they're generally presented, the body is a much more complex system than that.
Um, yes they are.  It's been proven over and over that you can eat a caloric deficit of potatoes or twinkies and still lose fat/muscle.

Users who are viewing this thread