What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

Walked 0.2 miles less than yesterday in virtually the same time. Proud of myself for dialing it back under 3 mph.

OTOH, the scale says I gained 3.5 pounds this week, which is utter BS. There were two bad decisions, which added a lot of carbs, which added a lot of water. I should have little trouble peeing that back out. Back at it.

Walked 0.2 miles less than yesterday in virtually the same time. Proud of myself for dialing it back under 3 mph.

OTOH, the scale says I gained 3.5 pounds this week, which is utter BS. There were two bad decisions, which added a lot of carbs, which added a lot of water. I should have little trouble peeing that back out. Back at it.
keep 'er moving brother!

A lot of diet advice suggests not looking at the scale at all during the week but I totally disagree at least for me because it helped me to understand just how much those day to day fluctuations happen and what triggers them. Almost anything that helps me understand my body better is a good thing. And it's fun watching those 3.5 lbs fall back off faster than they should. 

Just a reminder to anyone that needs to hear it. You can do it today.  It's  not hard and you know that. The hard part isn't doing it, but doing it consistently.  There's no shortcut. There's no extra effort you can put in today that will make this go faster. You have to keep at it, day in, day out, until you reach your goal. And that sounds exhausting. But today, you've got this. 

A lot of diet advice suggests not looking at the scale at all during the week but I totally disagree at least for me because it helped me to understand just how much those day to day fluctuations happen and what triggers them. Almost anything that helps me understand my body better is a good thing. And it's fun watching those 3.5 lbs fall back off faster than they should. 
Oh, to be clear, I get on the scale every morning. That's why I know exactly when and how I messed up. The Saturday morning weigh-in is ***official***.

Day 28 yoga.  One unexpected benefit is I can feel my pushups improving, not just the number but my control is much better. You end up doing so many downward facing dogs and chataranga pushups and exercises that just constantly work your arms and core.  Ran my 5k, taking my kid our for a walk outdoors now that it's cooling off, then I think I'll make chicken burritos for dinner with black beans, salsa, guacamole and low carb wraps.  

I haven't been posting much in this thread but I've been working out hard every day.  Did a 55 minute body combat this morning (which was not easy given how much I drank last night) and burned 600 calories.  Drinking has gone down significantly as I've stopped during the week days.  Down to my lowest weight since high school but not sure that's a good thing.   :oldunsure:      I'm just feeling really motivated right now.  Gearing up for a bike ride tomorrow and then a body pump workout at night.  

ETA - The only issue is that I've been having left shoulder pain for about 3 weeks.  It's hindering my ability to do a lot of pushups but overall it's manageable.  Something I'll need to get checked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder to anyone that needs to hear it. You can do it today.  It's  not hard and you know that. The hard part isn't doing it, but doing it consistently.  There's no shortcut. There's no extra effort you can put in today that will make this go faster. You have to keep at it, day in, day out, until you reach your goal. And that sounds exhausting. But today, you've got this. 
:goodposting:

Nothing I am doing is extraordinary, but it’s consistent. Riding the bike 5-6 days per week even if it’s just 5 miles to stretch the legs. Eat healthy foods and drink copious amounts of beer. Okay maybe I would be losing more weight without drinking beer but I need to draw the line somewhere. 

Year-end up date:

12/31 - 190

Not as diligent with the no alcohol policy but keep moving along here.   Still utilizing the potato hack for 3-5 days, usually 5.   Then a round of 'regular eating' - cut out meat for most part, still have some.  I love Bacon.

Breakfast : Eggs in a wrap with sriracha or oatmeal with some frozen blueberries.

Lunch/Dinners :  Rotate thru green/red lentils or black beans (slow cooked) as the main protein, various sides. Made this great red lentil curry the other night.    Eating a lot of salads as well,  started to pickle some vegetables (red onions/carrots), I've found that including those with a little bit of olive oil on the greens works fine for me as the salad dressing.

Started doing this 20 min full body dumbbell workout after I got under 200lbs, last thing I needed was to get injured so held off til a manageable weight.

Goal is to get back down to 170.

Good luck to all of you with your journey in the new year.    Beach bodies are made in the Winter.
Started the turnaround on 3/12/19 weighing in at 239.6lbs.    

16 months later I'm at 173, focus has changed from weight to body composition.    Still doing the potato hack, lot of rice/beans and eggs during the covid.

The youtube link in the quoted thread - this guy has a ton of home workouts.  I only have dumbbells and he's got a ton of dumbbell/no equipment ones.

Started the turnaround on 3/12/19 weighing in at 239.6lbs.    

16 months later I'm at 173, focus has changed from weight to body composition.    Still doing the potato hack, lot of rice/beans and eggs during the covid.

The youtube link in the quoted thread - this guy has a ton of home workouts.  I only have dumbbells and he's got a ton of dumbbell/no equipment ones.
That is one hell of a pace.  Should make it a whole lot easier to keep the weight off.   3 more pounds until your goal weight.  Are you gonna stop there?

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
That is one hell of a pace.  Should make it a whole lot easier to keep the weight off.   3 more pounds until your goal weight.  Are you gonna stop there?
I'd like to lose the extra lower belly fat and love handles, could probably lose more fat but I don't want to lose muscle with it.    More focused on how I feel/look and how clothes I used to wear are fitting these days.    

Edit: I am gonna keep doing what I've been doing to get here though.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
I'd like to lose the extra lower belly fat and love handles, could probably lose more fat but I don't want to lose muscle with it.    More focused on how I feel/look and how clothes I used to wear are fitting these days.    
At the pace you're keeping, I think you'll be fine.   Even if you lose a little bit of muscle, you're gonna look even better b/c the remaining muscle you do have will be a lot more defined.   Keep up the good work.   That's an impressive accomplishment.   

The only issue is that I've been having left shoulder pain for about 3 weeks.  It's hindering my ability to do a lot of pushups but overall it's manageable.  Something I'll need to get checked out.
My fitness guru has us narrow our hand position, more elbows in, and welcome some engagement and support between lats and triceps at the bottom.  I cant do as many pushups that way but he says they are more friendly for shoulder joints.  Give that a try?

My fitness guru has us narrow our hand position, more elbows in, and welcome some engagement and support between lats and triceps at the bottom.  I cant do as many pushups that way but he says they are more friendly for shoulder joints.  Give that a try?
Yep, there are lots of ways to do push ups. If a certain form angers a joint then just try something else. 

loving the yoga with Adrienne.  she's great.  i wish they were longer and a bit harder, but it really helps my mind set.  day 6 was not that difficult for me :flex:  i'm going to either do day 6 every day, or some other variations at the end of each day moving forward.  today (day 7) i did full boat for 60 seconds and chair pose for 60 as well at the end.   :shrug:   she does say to go ahead and do any additional moves.

has anyone tried her other series?

i've also done 700 pushups this week.  and logged 16 miles.  only 7 more to go, for the month.

i feel good!  time for a drink!!

Yoga with Adriene say 29. One more to go.  Started 100 pushups.  Feeling good. Ran on the treadmill, did some speed work and walking in between. Playee outside with my kid and had a blast. Ate ok. Coffee, homemade chicken caesar wrap, bowl of corn chowder, bag of cauliflower and broccoli with soy sauce, 100 cal bag of fritos and some chocolate chip cookie plus a glass of wine, lots of water. Hit my numbers even with some cheat foods,  Feeling good.

Had a couple rest days but back at it. Lessgo @Otis
I’m in GB. Did the second workout today finally (first ladder workout).  Going to keep at it this week. 

Also tired of eating and drinking so terribly. Going to try and sort that out today. But it always starts with a good row. So I’m halfway home as it is. 

Going to pick up some nice tuna steaks to make seared tuna for dinner tonight. 

Weighed in today for the first time in months. The bad news is I put on some weight. The good news is I didn’t put on anything extra for the quarantine—just my usual weight when I’m eating and drinking whatever normally and not working out. It’s kind of fun seeing everyone around me getting quarantine fat and me be like “hey welcome aboard, we’ve been expecting you.”

Finished day 30 of yoga with Adriene.  Day 30 she takes off the microphone and just goes through her routine at her pace so you can see how she does it without the benefit of a class.  It was hard to follow every move she did but that was the point - I did one of the poses, saw my groin/ hip was a little sore from running, and spent some extra time in lunge/warrior to stretch it out. I could probably do my own routine at this point but I like the instruction. 

If anyone wants to join me on another 30 days of yoga let me know. I think I am going to go back through some of the earlier days from this one and then try her 2019 "Home" 30 day program. 

I didn't eat particularly healthy foods yesterday but stayed under calories and had a solid run. Between that, yoga, and starting the 100 pushups challenge, I'm feeling good. I'm going to add some pull exercises - either the maurile assisted pullups or some dumbell rows or maybe those ridiculous stretchy plastic things my wife uses. 

Did my 3rd row on Asensei. 1,000m race. Finished in 3:50. Came out of the gate crazy fast over the first 250m and then crashed hard—just couldn’t get my breath. Hardest I’ve rowed yet. But still feels like a respectable first time. 

Did my 3rd row on Asensei. 1,000m race. Finished in 3:50. Came out of the gate crazy fast over the first 250m and then crashed hard—just couldn’t get my breath. Hardest I’ve rowed yet. But still feels like a respectable first time. 
Nice. I'd love if you could keep these updates up for me and anyone else considering the concept2. Would like to understand what it's really like. Probably good for you to update daily too just for accountability, 

Nice. I'd love if you could keep these updates up for me and anyone else considering the concept2. Would like to understand what it's really like. Probably good for you to update daily too just for accountability, 
Fair point GB, and will do so.  I will tell you rowing has to be the hardest, best total body strength + cardio workout (my heart almost came out of my chest today...).  Just so great for you.  It's probably a lot like swimming in that sense.  I'm a crappy swimmer.  So I row....

Hmmm.....will try this today and see what my time is. 

• Smile
Finished day 30 of yoga with Adriene.  Day 30 she takes off the microphone and just goes through her routine at her pace so you can see how she does it without the benefit of a class.  It was hard to follow every move she did but that was the point - I did one of the poses, saw my groin/ hip was a little sore from running, and spent some extra time in lunge/warrior to stretch it out. I could probably do my own routine at this point but I like the instruction. 

If anyone wants to join me on another 30 days of yoga let me know. I think I am going to go back through some of the earlier days from this one and then try her 2019 "Home" 30 day program. 

I didn't eat particularly healthy foods yesterday but stayed under calories and had a solid run. Between that, yoga, and starting the 100 pushups challenge, I'm feeling good. I'm going to add some pull exercises - either the maurile assisted pullups or some dumbell rows or maybe those ridiculous stretchy plastic things my wife uses. 
i'll be doing another series, when i'm done with the first.  i'm only on day 9 though.

what you describe, about day 30, is what i'm used to in yoga.  me trying to figure out what the hell is gong on. and barely keeping up  :lmao:   60-90 minutes, with people that do it all the time.  in the advanced heated flow classes, that i've taken, the teacher will build a series of moves, often more than 10(in each direction). and then just has us, go for it. for 5-10 minutes.  i often forget a move or two.   :mellow:   and just end up doing what i feel is right/hardest/easiest for me that day.  

berndog said:
@Otis well done with the 3:50 

after 750m I thought I would be able to beat you but finished at 4:04.  A little competition is a good motivator for me so it would be fun to do this in a month and see where we’re at.  

@eaganwildcats what’s your 1000m time?
3:32 for me. Took last night off, but looking forward to tonight's row. Only complaint with the app so far is that for a few rows the "target" splits have been quite a bit above what would end up really pushing me. Maybe the algorithm needs to lock itself in a bit better as it gets more data, we shall see. 

3:32 for me. Took last night off, but looking forward to tonight's row. Only complaint with the app so far is that for a few rows the "target" splits have been quite a bit above what would end up really pushing me. Maybe the algorithm needs to lock itself in a bit better as it gets more data, we shall see. 
Todays was tough. Would be thrilled if I can get a sub 7 2k at the end of this though. 

Since I’ve been getting in better shape I told myself at the start of this month I would run a 5k. Today was the day, and it was miserable. Of course I decided to run at near peak temperature on a 90 degree day. I also made the poor decision to take the dog with me, which as slow as I was running, it added a parachute-like effect having to drag her along.

It really made me realize how important it is to find exercise that you enjoy doing. If I had to rely on running to stay in shape I’d choose obesity. 

Since I’ve been getting in better shape I told myself at the start of this month I would run a 5k. Today was the day, and it was miserable. Of course I decided to run at near peak temperature on a 90 degree day. I also made the poor decision to take the dog with me, which as slow as I was running, it added a parachute-like effect having to drag her along.

It really made me realize how important it is to find exercise that you enjoy doing. If I had to rely on running to stay in shape I’d choose obesity. 
:thumbup:  

Did my next asensei row this morning. It took me back and repeated the ladder workout. I have a feeling I must have not let the video complete or allow it to register as completed the first time?  Anyway it’s finally showing me a new workout for my next workout so that’s good. 

Onwards. 

Running gets more enjoyable the more you do it.  And I'm not sure it's enjoyable for anybody in 90F temps.  Might want to give it a bit more time, and in better weather, before you drop it.  It is the most productive cardio you can do (calories/hour).

Also, be careful with the [pupper/doggo/furbaby] in the heat.  Dogs will overexert themselves to keep up with you, which can lead to bad outcomes.

All that said, gratz on the 5K.  Nice work, especially in that heat.  Not an easy thing.

• Smile

Running doesn't have to suck. Go start a poll for the running nerds in the ran a 10k thread and see which is the worst 

- running a new distance when you're unprepared 

- running in 90 degree heat

- running with an unwilling dog

- running 5k

Expect a spirited debate because those are all horrible conditions. You might get some dipstick telling you that every time you get out for a run is a great day or some crap but they are just making you an accomplice in their lies to themselves. 

Kudos to you for setting a goal and following through even in less than ideal conditions. If you decide to give it a second try, maybe choose a cooler day on a path near eye candy and leave the dog at home.  Or bring the dog but just make it a run-walk, and if she wants to stop and smell the bushes, let her.  I'm mostly an indoor runner, and pretty much the only tv I watch is on the treadmill these days. Whatever you do, find ways to make it more fun for you.

The 10K thread could also be re-titled "Runners complain about the weather".  There are zero posts talking about how awesome running in 90F is.
I could have done some damage in the sweat contest.  I’m surprised more people on the trails weren’t giving me disgusted looks. 

• Thanks
Running doesn't have to suck. Go start a poll for the running nerds in the ran a 10k thread and see which is the worst 

- running a new distance when you're unprepared 

- running in 90 degree heat

- running with an unwilling dog

- running 5k

Expect a spirited debate because those are all horrible conditions. You might get some dipstick telling you that every time you get out for a run is a great day or some crap but they are just making you an accomplice in their lies to themselves. 

Kudos to you for setting a goal and following through even in less than ideal conditions. If you decide to give it a second try, maybe choose a cooler day on a path near eye candy and leave the dog at home.  Or bring the dog but just make it a run-walk, and if she wants to stop and smell the bushes, let her.  I'm mostly an indoor runner, and pretty much the only tv I watch is on the treadmill these days. Whatever you do, find ways to make it more fun for you.
I’m sure there are people who genuinely enjoy it regardless of conditions. If I was on my bike in the same conditions (minus the dog) I would have enjoyed going on a 20+ mile ride.

i was definitely not prepared for this run, but if I had tried the same thing two months ago I don’t know if I would have made it out of my neighborhood before I was sucking air. If I am going to incorporate a little running into my routine I will need to buy running shoes and do shorter distances. I felt pretty good after about a mile, then thing started going downhill. As much as I hated the run I can’t deny that I am sore in places that I’m not after cycling. 

Greetings to all of you, 

-I had an incredible time with my son and his girlfriend over the last week. We went up to St Pete first and then they came back with us to our home, it's been a solid week of eating and drinking like I was 21 again...I'm not! I will likely do an entire thread just on this encounter, it was truly amazing. 

-I left you all running about 3 miles, I come back to you fresh off a 5 o'clock run/jog/crawl of about 3 miles again, was able to do 3 miles in about 42-45 minutes, a good comeback and a chance to get some momentum going into August because July is a total trash heap for me in terms of weight loss. Definitely have added not lost, know exactly why that is and how to stop it, so that's good. 

-I have a lot to say in the coming posts, need to catch up in here and see where everyone is at. 

I have the most amazing photo with my son at the St Pete Pier rooftop Tiki Bar, Sunset with the moon behind us(seriously), downtown lit up but still a beautiful sky behind us, I'm going to get a print made and hang it up in my house, a true moment in time. 

Thank You everyone, you all did a lot to encourage me and cheer me on and I'm not sure that moment in time I captured would look the same otherwise. In fact I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. 

bostonfred said:

I would be in for another 30 days of Adriene.  I can start on Monday or any time thereafter.

We can add my left kneecap to the list of body parts now in open revolt. It started as a twinge during yesterday's walk, then got worse all day, exacerbated by getting out of my car.  :hot:

This morning it was a little better, so I decided I would walk real slow. I cut about a third off, but it's confirmed. I'm dumb.

Taking some time off two weeks from today, will be putting in 12K-15K steps a day on vacation. Probably going to skip Friday and Saturday and see how it feels on Monday.

We can add my left kneecap to the list of body parts now in open revolt. It started as a twinge during yesterday's walk, then got worse all day, exacerbated by getting out of my car.  :hot:

This morning it was a little better, so I decided I would walk real slow. I cut about a third off, but it's confirmed. I'm dumb.

Taking some time off two weeks from today, will be putting in 12K-15K steps a day on vacation. Probably going to skip Friday and Saturday and see how it feels on Monday.
Do you think your body is up for joining us for 30 days of yoga with Adriene? 

Users who are viewing this thread