Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread — Now an overall wellness and fitness thread. Krista and Adriene are doing it. (It = yoga)

I’ve been thinking of trying the yoga with Adrienne thing. If you all are giving it a go I will try to convince the wife to do it with me. 

• Like 4

i've done 1000 pushups in the last 10 days.  that's kinda cool.

i could possibly double up my yoga and start with y'all.  i'm on day 11 of the first one.  i do like, that they are getting a little harder, but would love to do longer ones

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i could possibly double up my yoga and start with y'all.  i'm on day 11 of the first one.  i do like, that they are getting a little harder, but would love to do longer ones

I just finished Day 11 too. I am liking it so far, except for days that seem too easy. I am a novice at best, but still want some challenge. 

Overall keeping up with the walking and starting to eat better again (3 days with no junk food for snacks). Weight is slowly going back down but we are renting a house at the beach next week so all bets are off. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i do like, that they are getting a little harder, but would love to do longer ones

TWSS

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Yeah, I'm not personally aware of a single runner that enjoys a significant percentage of their runs.

That seems like a terrible shame.

There are a lot of good reasons for running. Maybe you're trying to get away from an insurance salesman. Maybe you're late to an appointment. Maybe it's World War II and you just kidnapped a Nazi general and you have to get him to the other side of Crete in order to escape.

The best reason, though, is simply because you enjoy it.

I generally don't like running, personally, so I rarely do it. I do enjoy walking...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Yeah, I'm not personally aware of a single runner that enjoys a significant percentage of their runs. It's a means to an ends - physically and mentally. Looking through my training logs I really only identified one six week stretch I would call 'zen.' Even the high effort workouts came naturally. But we're talking one six week stretch within the better part of a decade.

I'm not enjoying my current self imposed diet while I'm forced not to run (eating whatever I want is why I run), but it is kinda refreshing to take a break from running. It's gonna get old at some point, but I'll worry about that when I get there.

I have 3 neighbors that proclaim to love running.

13 minutes ago, Dickies said:

I run because I love the way I feel after the run.

And, per @MAC_32, I can eat whatever I want.

1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

There are a lot of good reasons for running. Maybe you're trying to get away from an insurance salesman. Maybe you're late to an appointment. Maybe it's World War II and you just kidnapped a Nazi general and you have to get him to the other side of Crete in order to escape.

I generally don't like running, personally, so I rarely do it. I do enjoy walking...

I can honestly say I have never had a bad time running to Crete with a captured Nazi general during World War II

6 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Monday works for me. 

Do we want to do the original 2015 version or a different one? This one suggests Camp is a little more difficult if that's what we want, but I would be fine with any of them

You choose.  One that's a little more difficult than the first is good, but really I'm down with anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

really I'm down with anything

That's what she actually, actually said

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

You choose.  One that's a little more difficult than the first is good, but really I'm down with anything.

I defer to the wisdom of the group. If we go the harder route I’ll likely just have to modify a decent bit. Slightly worried about an old wrist injury that’s been acting up but I think it will be fine.

Did the next day of the rowing program earlier. Still enjoying how the workouts make me change it up versus just rowing steady for 30-40 minutes. Going to do an ad-hog row tomorrow then I think is another 1k challenge I’ll do Saturday or Sunday. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, eaganwildcats said:

I defer to the wisdom of the group. If we go the harder route I’ll likely just have to modify a decent bit. Slightly worried about an old wrist injury that’s been acting up but I think it will be fine.

Did the next day of the rowing program earlier. Still enjoying how the workouts make me change it up versus just rowing steady for 30-40 minutes. Going to do an ad-hog row tomorrow then I think is another 1k challenge I’ll do Saturday or Sunday. 

She has a couple of videos for yoga for the wrists if you think that might help. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. 

I tried day 1 of camp today and will report back after a couple more.  So far it's similar but with one of those planks where you bring your knee to your chest and hold. I dont think that showed up until day 7 of the original 30. 

I am also ok doing the original 30 again. Would be fun to see how it goes now that I'm not completely confused what she's asking me to do.  

I like ads but not enough to try ad hog rowing. 

I have been mixing up my runs like that recently, if I start and just can tell im not up for a 40 minute slog, I'll do a bunch of quarter to half mile intervals and stop and walk in between. Or today I didn't have much time so I warmed up, ran at my "normal" pace of 6mph for a while then went my faster pace of 7 or 7.5 mph for a few mintues but instead of walking I go back to running my normal pace, then do a few more fast minutes and back to normal pace. Another day I might be watching a good movie and just dial it way back to MAF pace like 5.3 or 5.4. I am not training for anything except a healthy life after 40 so if my knees hurt or I don't feel great then #### it. Live to fight another day. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The first time I did Yoga with Adriene, I started a week or two later than I'd hoped because I was waiting for a friend who wanted to join me virtually (and never did).  It did not occur to me at the time to ask a bunch of dudes in the Otis thread if they wanted to do it with me.  :lol: 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

The first time I did Yoga with Adriene, I started a week or two later than I'd hoped because I was waiting for a friend who wanted to join me virtually (and never did).  It did not occur to me at the time to ask a bunch of dudes in the Otis thread if they wanted to do it with me.  :lol: 

:lmao: 

This whole krista and Adrienne thing is kind of hot if we’re being honest. :I’m in:

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Otis said:

This whole krista and Adrienne thing is kind of hot if we’re being honest. :I’m in:

Be careful when you're talking about people in yoga pants, man.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4

Just now, Maurile Tremblay said:

Be careful when you're talking about people in yoga pants, man.

:oldunsure:

I've never done yoga, and I'm probably the least flexible person in the universe, so if we're all doing this together I vote for the easier program

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

She has a couple of videos for yoga for the wrists if you think that might help. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. 

Wrist yoga?  :oldunsure: 

brb...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, eaganwildcats said:

Yoga is all about modifying it, to you.  

I have to tweak anything that involves a complete knee bend. Especially with weight on it.

While everyone is relaxing in child’s pose, I’m just trying to get another millimeter of bend in my reconstructed knee. Gasping for breath, sweating balls. But I want to break up the scar tissue. I could just chill on my stomach. And sometimes I do. 

Watch the downward dogs on your wrist. Everything else should be fine 

• Like 1

My wife said that she will do the 30 days of yoga with me, but then goes on to tell me that there is no way I’ll be able to actually do yoga. Real motivational speaker she is. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

17 hours ago, Dickies said:

They're lying. They love their own unique benefits derived from running, but no runner enjoys all of their runs. Which ones they enjoy and which ones they don't depends on a variety of factors they may or may not be aware of.

17 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Beyond the bonus calories @Zasada hit on a big reason I do it - I love the way I feel after a run. Exercise is my mid day recalibration and mine is either running or lifting. 

So why do I run vs other forms of exercise? Time. Running became a major part of my lifestyle when I didn't have much of it. I had little people at home, a normal job, and 2 or 3 side jobs. The days of rec sports, 2 hours at the gym after work, morning long bike rides, and day hikes were over. Adapt or die. So my priority every day (or night) was to find a window to run. Whenever I found it I'd throw my running clothes on, get it done, then get back to whatever that day asked of me. I'd try to find a couple larger windows per week to do a good lift, but in between running was the only thing that worked for me. Running is a flexible and efficient activity - it can be done in almost any conditions at any time. 11 pm bike rides or laps in the pool aren't options, but pavement pounding in the neighborhood is. 

But beyond that I also saw running as a potential sustainable habit once I found more time. I sure didn't enjoy running late at night or on interrupted infant sleep, but life wasn't always going to be that way. When I found more time would I run more? And that's exactly what happened. I went from trying to grind out a few miles per week without injuring myself nor getting fat to an endurance runner. A 40 mile week with 2-3 lifts mixed in is now just a new normal. I foresee a day in which I may stop running so damn much. My body may dictate so. But it isn't in the near future. I have more time than I did 7-9 years ago but those activities I did before kids still require too much of it. So I'm gonna keep running. Even though I don't always enjoy actually doing it.

• Like 3

everything has gone so well that i am getting discharged from cardiac rehab later today and am not required to see anyone for another year so boom on that bromigos take that to the bank 

• Like 12
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Dickies said:

My wife said that she will do the 30 days of yoga with me, but then goes on to tell me that there is no way I’ll be able to actually do yoga. Real motivational speaker she is. 

You might be surprised. I tried my first yoga class in my late 30s, told the instructor I'd never done it before, fat and dressed in regular gym clothes with no mat or anything, just thought I'd try. I was able to do the balance poses well enough that she thought I was lying because the other suburbanites were all tipping over. But the most common pose, downward facing dog, was super hard for me because I didnt have the arm strength and I had a big beer gut. I didn't love it and never went back. I did a couple yoga videos in between randomly with my wife, then did my second ever yoga class a little before the coronavirus stuff. That was it before I started Yoga with Adriene.  She's a very good teacher for newbies and she doesn't push you to do more than you can or should.

One thing I really like is that instead of telling you how to make a particular movement easier, a lot of times she'll tell you how to make it harder if you are more experienced and want the challenge.  It sucks feeling like you have to take the easy option. It's much different to just not take the hard option. But as I got better at it I definitely did more of the harder options and felt like i was doing awesome. 

It also helps that she talks like a twenty something who doesn't take herself super seriously. She stumbles over her words sometimes or makes awkward jokes and quickly says just kidding, and it's part of her charm. 

• Like 2

Well done Bromigo 

• Thanks 1

its a hell of a diet im on but the first step is sort of a doosy take that to the bank brochacho

• Like 2

You guys turned me on to Yoga with Adrienne (never thought I would hear the term "Love Cave" during a yoga workout) and while I have enjoyed it as a change of pace I wanted to share something slightly different. I began doing DDP Yoga (or DDPY, as he prefers to call it) about 5 years ago. It's yoga-ish with traditional poses combined with some rehab and isometric movements. Anyhow, I lost 40 pounds the first 8 months I did it and have lost close to 70 in total (and kept it off), most of it without making any substantial changes to my diet. It's done wonders for my knees and back and I highly recommend it to anyone. I still do it 5 times a week along with some weight training and feel better at 44 than I did at 25.

Here's the initial testimonial that got me hooked - https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448 . It's not free (he has an app with a monthly subscription or you can order DVDs) but you can try the app for free for 7 days and see what you think. It's been great for me.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, bobbytuff said:

You guys turned me on to Yoga with Adrienne (never thought I would hear the term "Love Cave" during a yoga workout) and while I have enjoyed it as a change of pace I wanted to share something slightly different. I began doing DDP Yoga (or DDPY, as he prefers to call it) about 5 years ago. It's yoga-ish with traditional poses combined with some rehab and isometric movements. Anyhow, I lost 40 pounds the first 8 months I did it and have lost close to 70 in total (and kept it off), most of it without making any substantial changes to my diet. It's done wonders for my knees and back and I highly recommend it to anyone. I still do it 5 times a week along with some weight training and feel better at 44 than I did at 25.

Here's the initial testimonial that got me hooked - https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448 . It's not free (he has an app with a monthly subscription or you can order DVDs) but you can try the app for free for 7 days and see what you think. It's been great for me.

I remember you or someone else mentioning this awhile back. Maybe if the 30 days go well will graduate to this. Love the idea of getting in the type of shape yoga promotes. 

Row today pretty solid. Goal of 1:30 on a 500m eventually. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bobbytuff said:

When I saw that link, I just knew it had to be that video.   I never heard of DDP yoga prior to watching that (still haven't done it), but what a great story.    I have that saved with my youtube account and watch it from time to time.

And congratulations on the weight loss.  

Edited by NutterButter

Losing 140 lbs in 10 months doesn't sound healthy. I definitely understand the excitement and the mobility gains are awesome but that's a scary pace. 

6 hours ago, bobbytuff said:

Man that is some praise. Sounds awfully tempting. 

Tonight I felt like I want to go back to keto-ish. Just something that would limit the carbs. Because basically every bad thing I eat would be prevented if I did that. And I remember from past experience that after I do that for a few days I start to have tons of energy and lose the cravings for sugar and potato chips and junk.  Mrs O keeps convincing me it’s somehow bad for my heart, but then again strolling around with this unnecessary 30lbs probably is no treat for my heart either.....

Do I need pizza and chips?  No. No sir; I do not. 

44 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Losing 140 lbs in 10 months doesn't sound healthy. I definitely understand the excitement and the mobility gains are awesome but that's a scary pace. 

I think it really depends on where you're starting from. If you're only 20 pounds overweight to begin with, losing 140 pounds in 10 months should be extremely worrisome. But if you're at least 140 pounds overweight, I see no inherent issue with that pace. It's less than 0.5 pounds a day, which is generally the minimum pace you'd expect on an ultra-healthy, medically supervised fast.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, Otis said:

Man that is some praise. Sounds awfully tempting. 

It has been a total game changer for me. I even got my wife hooked, who always swore yoga was "sleepy time stuff" and not real exercise. She finally gave in once the pandemic started - she had been battling some pain in her hip - and she is now a convert. She hasn't had any hip pain in almost 2 months and has lost 10 pounds of her own.

Posted (edited)

Can someone link up this Adrienne yoga thing?  (it on YouTube or something?). And what day are we starting this?

Really tempted to sue this to prompt me into crazy excellence mode.  Row in the morning; yoga in the afternoon; keto diet.  Oh man.  Oh man oh man.

Edited by Otis
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Otis said:

Can someone link up this Adrienne yoga thing?  (it on YouTube or something?). And what day are we starting this?

Really tempted to sue this to prompt me into crazy excellence mode.  Row in the morning; yoga in the afternoon; keto diet.  Oh man.  Oh man oh man.

It's on YouTube.  Just search "30 day yoga with Adriene".  You'll be treated with some serious eye candy (and a very cool, sweet woman).  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Where do brownies fit into this plan?

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, Otis said:

Tonight I felt like I want to go back to keto-ish. Just something that would limit the carbs. Because basically every bad thing I eat would be prevented if I did that. And I remember from past experience that after I do that for a few days I start to have tons of energy and lose the cravings for sugar and potato chips and junk.  Mrs O keeps convincing me it’s somehow bad for my heart, but then again strolling around with this unnecessary 30lbs probably is no treat for my heart either.....

Do I need pizza and chips?  No. No sir; I do not. 

It’s the booze, my brother. Nothing else.

Not preaching. I’m in the same boat. I exercise like a loon, so I can get away with drinking too much. I eat really well. The only time I don’t, is when I’m hungover.  Gotta seriously control how often that happens. Never would be great...working on it. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Are we starting this Adriene thing today, since it’s August 1, and do the full month?  Or we starting Monday for 30 days?

I’m going to do low carb, IF, with rowing and yoga, for 30 days. For realz. I’m pretty sure Hollywood will be calling in a month.  “How did you get such sweet abs? WHAT IS YOUR SECRET”

Edited by Otis
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Not preaching. I’m in the same boat. I exercise like a loon, so I can get away with drinking too much. I eat really well. The only time I don’t, is when I’m hungover.  Gotta seriously control how often that happens. Never would be great...working on it. 

A lot of us are probably in this same boat.  I know I am.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2020 at 1:42 PM, DA RAIDERS said:

That's impressive and I'm jealous. I like strength training that doesn't involve weights plus I have heard pushups can really trim the tummy and develop a 6-pack sometimes. 

👍

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, The Flying Turtle said:

I just finished Day 11 too. I am liking it so far, except for days that seem too easy. I am a novice at best, but still want some challenge. 

Overall keeping up with the walking and starting to eat better again (3 days with no junk food for snacks). Weight is slowly going back down but we are renting a house at the beach next week so all bets are off. 

Seriously, almost none of the hard work we do on walks, runs, bikes, weights, etc...you need to have the 2nd element which is watching what you eat. I have a difficult time going more than a couple days without a beer or drink and that's just for starters, the food I can keep in check as long as I am not getting together with others. So in this current environment many of us are in, little easier right now to distance from everyone. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2020 at 5:00 PM, Zasada said:

I run because I love the way I feel after the run.

And, per @MAC_32, I can eat whatever I want.

Greetings everybody once again, 

-Today we have a Hurricane off shore here along Jupiter where we expect to get some of the brunt of this...however it creates a beautiful environment outside right now where you mix clear skies for a few minutes and then fast moving outer bands creating shade and not much rain, so I jumped out this morning to get August kicked off. 

-4 Miles in 50:00, "Eat it Harvey"(Die Hard), I got a true runner's high today and ran at least 3/4 of those 4 miles to get my time around where I want. I'd like to go 3Mi/36Min but 4/50 will do just fine. I sat down for 10 minutes outside afterwards on my steps, the ground was moving in a way I'm not used to, light headed, RUNNER's HIGH...I actually teared up a little bit when I was done and my wife asked if I was crying, I just let a lot of emotions I've been holding on to, I just let them go and I've never run for so long at one time without stopping, it's an incredible feeling. 

I walked and cycled a lot of miles in Apr, May and June. July, however has been up and down. Mostly trying to eat out again has been a real challenge. Trying to get back to making most of my meals with a few exceptions. 

The last week or two with travel and the rest I haven't been checking in as much, not just in this thread but many others and I've opted to not watch news to the point things happen and I am surprised where others say "Oh you didn't see that on the news"...and I'm OK with that. It upsets me, all of it right now and it's better if I just focus on myself as best I can. 

Thank you everyone, I wouldn't be able to post all these new accomplishments in my health if not for the support of so many of you.

-I had a field day at Nordstrom Rack running thru the 34 inch waist section and pushing myself to buy Large vs XL which I still like to get because they are very roomy but my wife says I should wear things that are fit and cut better...Ted Baker, what a shirtmaker if you've never had one of these on. I used to HATE going to a department store because nothing ever fit right. And I do this not to brag but to share that occasionally you must remind yourself of why you do some of this. I have redone a lot of my clothes and closet and parted with things that no longer fit so I don't allow myself mentally to think I'm going back to the old MOP. 

-On board for meditation and yoga, I truly need it or I'm going to have a stroke or heart attack. 

Cheers!  

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Last night we went to HH and I had a couple Mai Tai but I was home by 7, asleep by like 9 and wide awake by 5-6 this morning. I can't drink alcohol in that form every day although I can pop a couple light beers several nights in a row. 

I agree booze adds weight but many days I have a light breakfast, much larger lunch and then in the evening it's a couple light beers and some snacks like hot air popcorn with no butter, probably no appealing to everyone but you can eat a lot of it with not much downside. 

• Like 1

I found my new fat boy treat.

We have a little place that serves "snowballs", they are basically crushed ice, snow cone whatever you want to call it.

The large half iced tea half lemonade flavors (Arnold palmer) is the bomb

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

11 hours ago, Otis said:

Are we starting this Adriene thing today, since it’s August 1, and do the full month?  Or we starting Monday for 30 days?

I’m going to do low carb, IF, with rowing and yoga, for 30 days. For realz. I’m pretty sure Hollywood will be calling in a month.  “How did you get such sweet abs? WHAT IS YOUR SECRET”

Start Monday august 3rd, finish Wednesday september 1st.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

-4 Miles in 50:00, "Eat it Harvey"(Die Hard), I got a true runner's high today and ran at least 3/4 of those 4 miles to get my time around where I want. I'd like to go 3Mi/36Min but 4/50 will do just fine. 

-I had a field day at Nordstrom Rack running thru the 34 inch waist section and pushing myself to buy Large vs XL ..... I have redone a lot of my clothes and closet and parted with things that no longer fit so I don't allow myself mentally to think I'm going back to the old MOP. 

-On board for meditation and yoga, I truly need it or I'm going to have a stroke or heart attack.

Good for you with the running. I feel like ten minute miles are kind of the standard for jogging and 3mph for walking - not exact but it makes the math easier. 4 miles in 50 minutes is about 3 miles at 10 minutes each plus one mile at 20 minutes so your estimate of 3/4 running sounds exactly right.  3.1 miles is the classic 5k distance, so running 3 miles in one session is a big time goal. Good for you. 

Love that you are buying smaller clothes and getting rid of some of the older stuff. That's a huge milestone too. It's really hard to commit. 

Yoga and meditation and turning off the news definitely helps you chill, and between the diet, exercise, weight loss and meditation, I would be super curious how your blood pressure looks next month vs a year or two ago. I bet it's night and day.  Definitely good that you are taking your heart health seriously.

Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Start Monday august 3rd, finish Wednesday september 1st.

IN

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, The Flying Turtle said:

Even with the modifications, she keeps it to 30 minutes or less and doesn't do a ton of hard positions in the same practice so if you're looking for a hard workout, you'll have to add stuff yourself sometimes. There are days I was sore and didn't understand why because it seemed easy until I realized I was sweating so it's sneaky tough sometimes too.

If you are looking to add to it, I repeated day 6 a lot to get that core workout. I've also started the 100 pushup challenge if you want to join me. I'm going Monday Wednesday Friday.  It definitely makes those downward facing dogs and chataranga pushups noticable.

I am in body recomposition mode right now so I'm trying to do my yoga for overall strength and flexibility when I have 20 minutes between meetings, do some core and pushups a few times a week which is like 10 minutes here or there, and run a couple miles most days, which is like 45 minutes at night. So it's a lot of good exercise but it's all stuff I can sneak in to lulls in my day instead of hitting the gym for 90 minutes to do it all at once,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Even with the modifications, she keeps it to 30 minutes or less and doesn't do a ton of hard positions in the same practice so if you're looking for a hard workout, you'll have to add stuff yourself sometimes. There are days I was sore and didn't understand why because it seemed easy until I realized I was sweating so it's sneaky tough sometimes too.

If you are looking to add to it, I repeated day 6 a lot to get that core workout. I've also started the 100 pushup challenge if you want to join me. I'm going Monday Wednesday Friday.  It definitely makes those downward facing dogs and chataranga pushups noticable.

I am in body recomposition mode right now so I'm trying to do my yoga for overall strength and flexibility when I have 20 minutes between meetings, do some core and pushups a few times a week which is like 10 minutes here or there, and run a couple miles most days, which is like 45 minutes at night. So it's a lot of good exercise but it's all stuff I can sneak in to lulls in my day instead of hitting the gym for 90 minutes to do it all at once,

I may join you in this too. Can I do rowing, Adriene, and the push-up challenge all at once?  May as well find out...