What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

May challenge is done, will update that thread in a bit but anyone up for a June challenge?  If so, what?  Daily yoga?  100 pushups?  Whole30?  Healthy cooking?

May challenge is done, will update that thread in a bit but anyone up for a June challenge?  If so, what?  Daily yoga?  100 pushups?  Whole30?  Healthy cooking?
I would like to get a little more into what is healthy and not healthy for food intake. 

One of the things I've discovered for myself is that 1-ingredient foods work best for me. Carrots say Carrots on side of the bag, Fish is usually Fish, Oats are Oats. 

Also would like a couple of our more experienced weight lifters to help develop a good starter system for free weights, etc...

Just some ideas, but would back anything to keep the party rolling another month. The fun is just starting when many of us have to begin working more hours as we get back in the swing of our daily routines. I simply didn't have a lot to do the last 60 days and so on some level it was easy to focus on. Now I am overhauling and re-painting the entire crib so we can give ourselves a better environment at home to flourish. 

My challenge will be to wake up and get rolling at 5-6 in the morn and then drive business during day then be ready to roll again in the evening and continue to NOT emotionally eat. For the first time over the weekend I really stressed out once to the point I wanted to eat to make the moment disappear but that won't solve anything. 

BF, you have my support in whatever you decide, some of my goals will be to help and encourage others not just my own achievements. I've been blessed the last 2 months to fall into a strong support group here, made things a lot easier. I'm having fun not being the same ole MOP right now. It's almost like being Born Again but from a health and well being  standpoint and I'm finding it refreshing to let things go. I am doing a major Spring Clean Out today before summer officially kicks in and I'm tossing a lot of things out that have been weighing me down and holding me back. I have been holding on to boxes of stuff I thought I needed and I want to rid myself of those things and the memories they carry. 

I've managed to get my inner bowels in order and rid myself of the constipation if you will, it's time to apply a similar matrix to other situations and things that will enhance my life and make it even easier to achieve the goals I have set for myself. 

👍

Pretty happy with my May results

784/1085 points. To be honest I should probably add another 100 for stuff I missed tracking. (I can improve this by reducing the bad snacks). 

Ran 100.25 miles

lost 4.9 lb. 

Hoping for to do better this month and be under 225 by July 4.
I would like to lose 5 lbs in June and you have a date of July 4th, I've not shared this openly in this thread but I am working towards a special date in about Mid July when my son will turn 21 and I haven't seen him since he visited me around St Patty's Day just before most places closed.  The look of shock on his face when we toast at midnight at Hard Rock is going to be worth it. He is a total Mini-Me, except obviously he was in a little better shape than myself and still will be. I know we will be looking at these photos for a long time and I want the memories to be great ones of him and I. 

So you run and you weigh North of 225...how tall are you TFC? Doesn't the running take a toll on your knees and joints? I want to run eventually just to get my stamina to the point I can outlast anyone on the tennis court. I think it's partly mental, I can't go 1/4 mile without stopping and walking.  

I would like to lose 5 lbs in June and you have a date of July 4th, I've not shared this openly in this thread but I am working towards a special date in about Mid July when my son will turn 21 and I haven't seen him since he visited me around St Patty's Day just before most places closed.  The look of shock on his face when we toast at midnight at Hard Rock is going to be worth it. He is a total Mini-Me, except obviously he was in a little better shape than myself and still will be. I know we will be looking at these photos for a long time and I want the memories to be great ones of him and I. 
This is an awesome goal. 

Doesn't the running take a toll on your knees and joints? I want to run eventually just to get my stamina to the point I can outlast anyone on the tennis court. I think it's partly mental, I can't go 1/4 mile without stopping and walking.  
Running will take a huge toll on your knees and joints if you overdo it.  If you can't run more than a quarter mile without stopping, and you want to be able to run further, then you can't just go run 5 miles and power through it. That's how 40+ year olds get hurt.  But run walking is great exercise in its own right. If you can just run for a minute, walk for a minute to start, you can gradually build up the muscle and maybe avoid injuries when you play tennis. 

The general rule is to increase your mileage by 25 percent a week or less. At our ages, that might even be too much, so don't push it. The c25k (couch to 5k) plan does a great job with this. http://c25k.com/mobile/metric.html

I'm not recommending running - it's not for everyone and it can lead to injuries. And as I always say, I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.  

I crashed and burned badly in May, so I'd be up for a non-pushup-related June challenge.  Otis's interns are still crunching the numbers, but I think I put on 3 lbs in May, which isn't bad if you knew how poorly I ate and drank all month.

Running will take a huge toll on your knees and joints if you overdo it.  If you can't run more than a quarter mile without stopping, and you want to be able to run further, then you can't just go run 5 miles and power through it. That's how 40+ year olds get hurt.  But run walking is great exercise in its own right. If you can just run for a minute, walk for a minute to start, you can gradually build up the muscle and maybe avoid injuries when you play tennis. 

The general rule is to increase your mileage by 25 percent a week or less. At our ages, that might even be too much, so don't push it. The c25k (couch to 5k) plan does a great job with this. http://c25k.com/mobile/metric.html

I'm not recommending running - it's not for everyone and it can lead to injuries. And as I always say, I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program.  
I have been walking in Asics-Kayano for about 10 years, I even wear them around town with a pair of jeans just for the comfort factor. 

I have 3 new pairs coming in the next couple days(Stocking up in advance). Asics is blowing out the 26s as the 27s start to roll out. 

Overpronation Specials  but the entire site has sales going on. Free shipping and returns.  

I crashed and burned badly in May, so I'd be up for a non-pushup-related June challenge.  Otis's interns are still crunching the numbers, but I think I put on 3 lbs in May, which isn't bad if you knew how poorly I ate and drank all month.
Yeah sorry about that.  The interns have been tied up with troubleshooting the database backend, because they can't figure out how I possibly could have eaten and drank the way I did in May despite being on a "diet."  Gotta just be a bug in the code.

June 1.  Fresh start.

Yeah sorry about that.  The interns have been tied up with troubleshooting the database backend, because they can't figure out how I possibly could have eaten and drank the way I did in May despite being on a "diet."  Gotta just be a bug in the code.

June 1.  Fresh start.
Welcome back. 

Otis said:

June 1.  Fresh start.
Not the thread,  but how come you don't play poker anymore?

My personal challenge for June will be 100 pushups a day.  That's the minimum amount of exercise on days when I can't get in a more rigorous workout.  

I just ordered the Les Mills body pump bar/weights.  With my YMCA being closed, they've given me free access to all of the Les Mills workouts.  My wife and I do the body combat workout once a week and it's awesome (I burn around 600 calories in an hour).  Whenever my free access period ends, I plan to just pay for the subscription going forward (it's like $10 a month).  They have so many different workouts and it seems like all I really need (who really wants to go back to a gym at this point?).

Otis said:

June 1.  Fresh start.
D.on't

I.ngest

E.verthing

T.hing

have them look for that, in the code.  everything runs smoother since i cleared that up..  

;)  

Ministry of Pain said:
I have been walking in Asics-Kayano for about 10 years, I even wear them around town with a pair of jeans just for the comfort factor. 

I have 3 new pairs coming in the next couple days(Stocking up in advance). Asics is blowing out the 26s as the 27s start to roll out. 

Overpronation Specials  but the entire site has sales going on. Free shipping and returns.  
First, re-read @bostonfred's post. It's filled with goodness.

Second, go to a specialty running shop and have them give you an assessment. They may give a thumbs up to your shoes with your stride, but if there are warning signs then a good rep at one of those stores will catch it and steer you in another direction - or provide pointers on what to potentially change. There is nothing more important in running than having a shoe that fits you. 

Running can be a great thing to build and sustain fitness, but it comes with a lot of unknown risks, especially at the beginning. However slow you think you should go, go slower. However far you think you should run, run less. And above all else, rest. Done properly and it can be life-changing. Not done properly and you'll end like many first time runners and be placed on the IR after a few weeks.

I'm in the New Balance 990v4. No idea if they're still made, as I still have a new pair about to be promoted to the starting lineup. I was, in fact guided to them buy the guy at the running store, and my podiatrist signed off on them after inspection.  :bowtie:

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I'm in for this month's challenge, but to be honest it doesn't sound too difficult.  My personal goal this month is to ride my bike 25 miles per week and do at least 50 pushups and 150 situps per day.  I recently went to a whole food plant-based diet, so I will post the recipes I'm making in the challenge thread even if they may not be up everyone's alley.  I'm shedding pounds without doing as much working out as I should be, but am also feeling stronger in my daily pushups.  Not sure if it's the reduced body weight helping things or actually getting stronger.

Looking forward to getting back into lap swimming once SIP loosens up.

I'm in for this month's challenge, but to be honest it doesn't sound too difficult.  My personal goal this month is to ride my bike 25 miles per week and do at least 50 pushups and 150 situps per day.  I recently went to a whole food plant-based diet, so I will post the recipes I'm making in the challenge thread even if they may not be up everyone's alley.  I'm shedding pounds without doing as much working out as I should be, but am also feeling stronger in my daily pushups.  Not sure if it's the reduced body weight helping things or actually getting stronger.

Looking forward to getting back into lap swimming once SIP loosens up.
I'll be eager to see your recipes.  Great job on everything, too!

These are my goals for June:

• continue with 10K steps per day (and overall goal for 2020 remains averaging 10K steps per day) - lame compared to some of you guys but it's what I can commit to 🙂
  • continue calorie counting as needed to stay at ~195 for the month
  • No alcohol Monday through Thursday
  • 50 push ups per day
All goals met for today :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be eager to see your recipes.  Great job on everything, too!
Thanks.  If you had told me at any point in my life that I would go vegan while also cutting out added sugars and oils for a continued 5 weeks I would have told you that you're a lunatic.  Honestly, it's been pretty awesome so far.  The SIP has afforded me more flexibility to experiment with ingredients and new cooking methods.  

I could have probably lost an extra 10 lbs if I cut alcohol out, but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

How long do you guys/gals expect it to take you to walk 50 miles in a day?  
in 100 minutes i can normally get between 5 and 5 and a half miles at about 3 to 3 and a half miles per hour take that to the bank bromigos 

Thanks.  If you had told me at any point in my life that I would go vegan while also cutting out added sugars and oils for a continued 5 weeks I would have told you that you're a lunatic.  Honestly, it's been pretty awesome so far.  The SIP has afforded me more flexibility to experiment with ingredients and new cooking methods.  

I could have probably lost an extra 10 lbs if I cut alcohol out, but I gotta draw the line somewhere.
I was vegetarian for about six years and then pescetarian for about four more.  Going vegan would seem impossible to me since cheese is my life, but I often think of going veggie again.  Good for you.  I saw your curried chickpea recipe in the other thread - yum!!

ok i see we are making ourselves personal challenges mine will be 200 minutes of exercise a day and calories within my fitness pal limits and losing 10 pounds this month and today i have met all of my goals take that to the bank brohans 
200 minutes a day?  :shock:  

200 minutes a day?  :shock:  
yep so since my heart attack i have worked up to where i walk for 100 minutes to 120 minutes in the morning and ride my bike for about 60 to 70 minutes in the evening and in between they have me doing  pushups some planks and very limited weight lifting that takes me all told probably 20 minutes a day so it happens and its working to get my weight down im almost back to weights i have not seen in about 25 years take that to the bank brohanista 

I was vegetarian for about six years and then pescetarian for about four more.  Going vegan would seem impossible to me since cheese is my life, but I often think of going veggie again.  Good for you.  I saw your curried chickpea recipe in the other thread - yum!!
I think I might be lactose intolerant. In the past year my stomach would start churning every time I ate cheese. It never happened previously in my life, but it stopped instantly when I switched diets.

I’ve figured out how to make a vegan “queso” with nutritional yeast, chilis and cashews, plus sour cream using silken tofu with lemon juice and vinegar. The queso is legit solid, and the sour cream is not as good as sour cream, but added to something like a burrito bowl it’s virtually indistinguishable from the real thing once surrounded by additional ingredients. 

Grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for dinner.  That’s two (2) killer meals yesterday.  

I did have a couple of white wine spritzers after dinner, along with a handful of Hershey Kisses and some Triscuits and cheese.  But I nailed two good meals.

I haven’t exercised in days.  This puppy will be the death of me.

I haven’t exercised in days.  This puppy will be the death of me.
maybe take that little brohan for walks according to my cardiologists even a half an hour is really good for you and if you can do it twice a day even better take that to the bank about 15 minutes down the road and back bromigo 

maybe take that little brohan for walks according to my cardiologists even a half an hour is really good for you and if you can do it twice a day even better take that to the bank about 15 minutes down the road and back bromigo 
Mrs. O says I can't until he's had his shots.  That's like 5 or 6 weeks away.  ####!

• Sad
MAC_32 said:
kevzilla said:
Five pounds a month is just fine. If it were guaranteed, I would sign up for the next year, no second thought required.
Yep, 5 lbs per month is about right. It's sustainable.
Definitely not sustainable. If you lose 5 pounds a month for even just 6 years, that's a total loss of 360 pounds. How many of us can afford to lose that much weight without ceasing to exist?

Otis said:
Mrs. O says I can't until he's had his shots.  That's like 5 or 6 weeks away.  ####!
You do you, and I'm not a vet. but it is mt opinion that the benefits of getting your dog used to seeing different people, and getting out and about outweigh the small risk of contracting parvo.

Definitely not sustainable. If you lose 5 pounds a month for even just 6 years, that's a total loss of 360 pounds. How many of us can afford to lose that much weight without ceasing to exist?
If this is dry humor, well done.

If this is anything else then you get an emphatic c'mon, man.

• Smile
If this is dry humor, well done.

If this is anything else then you get an emphatic c'mon, man.
Sustainability is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

There is, to be sure, some use for the concept -- it's good to build healthy habits that you'll be able to stick to. An all-or-nothing mindset is more likely to fail than something like an 80/20 principle because we all need some room for error. If people used the word "unsustainable" to describe plans that are likely to fail because people probably won't stick to them for as long as they intend to (and such use did not simply assume the conclusion), that would be fine. But often people use it to describe plans that can't be sustained indefinitely even though nobody in their right mind would ever try to sustain them indefinitely. This latter use always involves a ridiculous double standard.

For example, is water-only fasting a good strategy for reducing hypertension? Absolutely; it's basically a miracle treatment. (It's also extremely effective for fat loss.) Some will criticize it as being unsustainable: sure, you can go without food for a week or two, but over the long run it will kill you! By that standard, however, basically nothing is sustainable. Should you eat a banana? Well, you can't eat bananas 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, forever! Not sustainable! Of course, that misses the point. Nobody is saying to eat bananas all the time forever, just like nobody is saying that people should fast forever. Yet only one is labeled unsustainable -- a double standard.

When deciding whether to do some activity, the question shouldn't be whether it's sustainable. The question should be whether it's useful. Lots of useful things can't be done indefinitely, but are nonetheless worthwhile.

Mainly, though, it was dry humor.

19/30 points  

5.0/3.0 miles ran

17,200/15,000 steps

It was a good day all around (health wise).  I Reminded myself that apples and peanut butter is a good snack. Even if peanut butter is high in calories, it is still better than some alternatives and very satisfying. 

I'm not going to count calories (too much work), but if this is becoming a recipe thread, I'm happy to share my prized oatmeal recipe that has become my standard breakfast.

Step 1: Start cooking the oatmeal. (Rolled oats, steel-cut oats, whatever.) Make one serving however your package says to do it. While the oatmeal is simmering...

Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix up: one banana (sliced into little pieces), half a dark chocolate bar (broken into little pieces), a handful of almonds, five or six heaping teaspoons of plain yogurt, and an unmeasured amount (maybe about a tablespoon) of honey.

Step 3: A few minutes before the oatmeal is done cooking, toss in a handful of frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, whatever).

Step 4: When ready,  dump the oatmeal-with-berries into the bowl of other stuff, stir it all up, and eat it.

Pro tip: Find a big bowl, because it's hard to fit all of that into a regular-sized bowl.
I decided to count up the nutritional info in this:

image.png

Good amount of fiber for one meal. Surprising to see the largest part of it come from half a small chocolate bar.

Users who are viewing this thread