What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

One last puff of air from Canada is making the mornings gloriously cool and dry. In June, this is a gift. And I stormed around the neighborhood at an 18:19 pace, faster than I went on Monday. Steady as she goes.

My attempt to get back into an exercise routine ended almost as fast as it started.  I lasted a few days, then got derailed.  Back on the horse and tracking via MFP today.

Not that it is going to do anything for weight loss, but with the extra money I've been saving by not going into work, I've picked up golf again.  I haven't played in many years, and never really enjoyed it.  Now, my kids are playing so we're going to do that on a regular basis.  Walking 9 has got to be better than laying around watching TV on a Sunday.

We went and made a massive mistake and got a puppy, so my early mornings have now been consumed with dealing with the dog.  Pain in the neck.  It's made it impossible for me to row in the mornings.  And I just haven't worked in another spot in my day to do it.
For what it's worth, rowing is excellent for neck pain.

returning to work is awesome.  and awful.  working blows.

however, i know why i never gave a rat's ### about calories.  yesterday's endeavors, only at work:  15K steps and 71 flights of stairs.  good times.  and i was working out 3-5 times a week when the gym was open.  which will be happening soon.  

also doing a squat challenge at home.  need to do 200 and something squats today.   :mellow:   

Haven’t been posting much in here lately but I’m still doing a pretty good job of GAF.  For the most part, I’ve been doing a great job of exercising and eating healthy.  Visited the in-laws this past weekend so that threw me off my routine a little.  

The hardest part for me is that my work has been insane for like the past 3 months (with no end in sight).  Every single day filled with meetings and then have to catch up at night to actually get work done.  I love the job but staying up until 1 am every night can’t be healthy.

Day 6-Mon Day 7-Tue Day 8-Wed Day 9-Thur

All of these are going to be 60 minute walks either once a day in the Morn or Evening, have not been on the bike for a couple weeks, had a little case of something that makes it hard to sit down on a bike 😉  and I've been taking it a little easy. Mrs was wanting to go out riding last night so I'm sure I will be up and riding this weekend if the weather allows.

Feels like was 105 on Wed, that's absurd being near the Atlantic Ocean. 

-I weighed myself this morning expecting the worst since I haven't been tracking the MFP as tightly as I was in May but I couldn't believe the scale was at 187 which considering all the beer, pizza and crap I've eaten in the month of June trying to reconnect with folks I haven't seen since early mid March, I'm over it already. We started about 220 in late March and were sitting on 188-189 start of June, one of my goals was simply to maintain or NOT GO BACK!

I again would like to thank you all for getting me to focus on taking care of myself and not worrying as much about others right now. 

-I have more to share but I think I need to pop into the "Depression" discussion and make my presence felt over there. I was not having a good week/couple of days but I didn't turn to food, I wanted to. 

I'm at 690 Minutes for the month of June. Down 1 lb for the month and feeling good about it. 

I have hit my diet and steps goals the past few days, but had trouble with the runs since it has been so hot. Only ran 2 out of 4 days. . 
I have really enjoyed my Morning walks more than running so may just stick with that for a change. As long as I get my steps in the speed won’t make too much difference. 

Weighed in at 229.6. Finally broke 230 which has been a barrier for a couple of weeks. Hopefully I am past my plateau. 

It was 59 this morning, I actually had goosebumps when I went out there.This is an aberration that will not last, but it is nice.
I'm jealous. We did have amazing weather in April and May when I was doing over 100 minutes a day. The combo of heat and humidity just wipes you out. That said, last night was beautiful right as the sun was going down but during the day it's hell. 

I have hit my diet and steps goals the past few days, but had trouble with the runs since it has been so hot. Only ran 2 out of 4 days. . 
I have really enjoyed my Morning walks more than running so may just stick with that for a change. As long as I get my steps in the speed won’t make too much difference. 

Weighed in at 229.6. Finally broke 230 which has been a barrier for a couple of weeks. Hopefully I am past my plateau. 
Hell yeah, it's such a good feeling when you break these benchmarks or numbers to try and get below. I have been doing part runs mixed in trying to add a few more steps each day.  

gym opened back up.  did 30 minutes on the elliptical for @Otis

fancy scale said i weigh 181.7.  very happy about that.  now the question is, can i stop boozing it up and get to 175ish.   :lmao:   
Question: Can you share any strength training you do? Now that I have a lot of the excess weight off I want to tone up in the arms and chest, tighten might be a better word. The bike and all the exercise has made a big difference but I want to go up a level. 

Thanks

Question: Can you share any strength training you do? Now that I have a lot of the excess weight off I want to tone up in the arms and chest, tighten might be a better word. The bike and all the exercise has made a big difference but I want to go up a level. 

Thanks
Big muscles first - thighs, ###, and back. A few of weeks of that then start focusing on arms and chest. Gotta build the foundation before you can build the house. 

Ministry of Pain said:

Thanks

MAC_32 said:
Big muscles first - thighs, ###, and back. A few of weeks of that then start focusing on arms and chest. Gotta build the foundation before you can build the house. 
this is correct.  mac knows what's up.  listen to him.

keep the weight, very light in the beginning.  obnoxiously light.  you do not want to hurt yourself.  focus on form.  always.

your goal to start running, will actually do wonders for tightening up your arms and back.  it was startling how sore my upper back and odd spots in my arms were, when i started running.  give it a shot.  even if it's for very short distances.  it will help.

this is correct.  mac knows what's up.  listen to him.

keep the weight, very light in the beginning.  obnoxiously light.  you do not want to hurt yourself.  focus on form.  always.

your goal to start running, will actually do wonders for tightening up your arms and back.  it was startling how sore my upper back and odd spots in my arms were, when i started running.  give it a shot.  even if it's for very short distances.  it will help.
I agree 100%, I'm almost ashamed to tell you I'm just doing longer sets at 15-20 lb dumbbells. 

-I have a friend from Tennis who lifts, I'm better at tennis, he's a better lifter. I asked him today after he got over the initial shock of seeing me if he would mind lifting with me so that basically I don't hurt myself. 

Agree on the running Raiders, and I need to continue to push myself there. 

If it makes you feel better, i pigged out on wings and beer and I had 2 whole cadillac margaritas tonight at one of my fav spots that has been closed for a couple months. I bathed in hot sauce and blue cheese dressing and never once felt an ounce of guilt.

Made a pit stop 😉  and the Mrs and i have started to devour a 420 brownie that should be kicking in here shortly.

I agree 100%, I'm almost ashamed to tell you I'm just doing longer sets at 15-20 lb dumbbells. 

-I have a friend from Tennis who lifts, I'm better at tennis, he's a better lifter. I asked him today after he got over the initial shock of seeing me if he would mind lifting with me so that basically I don't hurt myself. 

Agree on the running Raiders, and I need to continue to push myself there. 
Sets of what?

no shame in any exercise, ever. You are doing this for you!  A better you. A healthier you. F that machismo BS. You do what works for you. period.

It amuses me, at the gym, when I see dudes, blowing out their sphincter.  while I’m doing my 135# squats.  I’m all good over here!!  Don’t mind me   :pickle:  

Sets of what?

no shame in any exercise, ever. You are doing this for you!  A better you. A healthier you. F that machismo BS. You do what works for you. period.

It amuses me, at the gym, when I see dudes, blowing out their sphincter.  while I’m doing my 135# squats.  I’m all good over here!!  Don’t mind me   :pickle:  
There are many ways to lift weights and add muscle.   Heavy weight training is effective but can also be tough on the body.  As I have become older, the goal is to keep muscle and not injure myself.  Heavy weight training is out for most exercises.   I’m going to slow down my reps for a month or so.  I did 4 count up and down reps in the past and am going with a similar program for a few weeks.  I’m thinking some 20-30 rep sets should be added too to mix things up   

As mentioned by other posters, each of us should do what we are comfortable with and train in the manner that suits us.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm almost ashamed to tell you I'm just doing longer sets at 15-20 lb dumbbells. 
Take a look at pictures of Eugen Sandow and other 19th-century strongmen and consider that they typically trained not with heavy barbells, but just with 5 lb dumbbells. (Sandow himself used 8 lb dumbbells at his peak, but recommended 5 lbs for most men, and 2-3 lbs for most women.) You can definitely build impressive strength with light dumbbells.

(The trick to the old strongman training program with light dumbbells, according to this book, is that the dumbbells themselves were kind of incidental. The key was powerfully contracting individual muscles at will; the dumbbells were there not to be lifted so much as to help figure out, by feel, which muscles were supposed to be contracted in each prescribed movement. They need not be heavy to serve that purpose.)

Sets of what?

Just some basic curls, skull crush sets while standing, probably going to hurt myself keep doing them that way.  I just enjoy the feeling the next day across my arms and chest. I am going to take you up on the running, I haven't cycled much in over two weeks, that was making my chest feel alive after an extended ride. Both of those are doable, sometimes in the same day. 

I am certainly not trying in any way to bulk up, just tighten up. 

Take a look at pictures of Eugen Sandow and other 19th-century strongmen and consider that they typically trained not with heavy barbells, but just with 5 lb dumbbells. (Sandow himself used 8 lb dumbbells at his peak, but recommended 5 lbs for most men, and 2-3 lbs for most women.) You can definitely build impressive strength with light dumbbells.

(The trick to the old strongman training program with light dumbbells, according to this book, is that the dumbbells themselves were kind of incidental. The key was powerfully contracting individual muscles at will; the dumbbells were there not to be lifted so much as to help figure out, by feel, which muscles were supposed to be contracted in each prescribed movement. They need not be heavy to serve that purpose.)
I have been looking for a good book to start reading at night, I'm gonna take you up on this recommendation and order it. Looks like a worthwhile read. 👍 

Sat-Day 11: TENNIS(120 Minutes)...it was a massacre, my doubles team won 6-1, moved to next round, we crushed them 6-1 as well. Lot of comments about how I am moving much faster and playing with confidence. I will say I am hitting shots now that I could never hit as a teenager when I played a lot. My partner kept setting me up to poach and strike around the net. 

-One guy got really mad because he hates to lose and so do I but I haven't been in a position to do much about it and I always carry myself as a gentleman on the court. We got into it when he was down 5-1 in the 2nd...he was angry that I wouldn't walk back to the baseline on my service game, usually if I finish a point up at the net I just wait a second to receive the ball but he somehow felt threatened by it, very weird. 

Sun-Day 12: (1.5 Miles RUN) and 2.5 miles walk was around 70 Minutes.

-I really feel it in my arms, across my shoulders and yes in the chest some too. I would walk 5 minutes, run 5 minutes, back and forth sometimes walk a little longer. I never was feeling a lot of pain which I think is positive. I feel amazing tonight sitting here typing this. I ate terrible, had a few more beers over the weekend but MFP App helped me understand today wasn't quite as bad as I had thought. 

940 Minutes and we are 14 days into June, would like to get my minutes avg up to around 100+ per day the rest of the way. 16 days left, would like to rack up around 1500+ minutes over that time to close out June and get some momentum going again into July.  

Cheers Everybody!

Sorry for my absence recently. I have been absolutely miserable the last couple weeks. Worst case of poison ivy in my life. Couldn't sleep, couldn't exercise without making it much much worse, and I was in an awful mood between lack of sleep, discomfort and work of course picking up at the worst time. Drank more than I should have, ate comfort foods I usually don't... just a bad stretch. 

But i didn't stop running altogether- even though it hurt I still ran a couple times a week. And I ran tonight and feel like I'm done with the worst of it, finally. So, I'm back to it.  Myfitnesspal is back on, had a good day today, and I'm ready to build on it tomorrow. 

Ministry of Pain said:
I have been looking for a good book to start reading at night, I'm gonna take you up on this recommendation and order it. Looks like a worthwhile read. 👍 
I've been doing (most of) the workout from the book for only a little while. I like it for a number of reasons.

1. It's meant to be done every day. "If something is worth doing, do it every day." -- Dan John. While there are certainly things worth doing that I would not do every day, I strongly favor fitness routines that can be done every day. Workouts that require days of recovery are for people a lot more serious than I am. I am working out in order to feel better, not worse. Anything that requires recovery days is probably misaligned with that goal.

2. Doing a lot of reps with low intensity creates a zen-like flow. It requires mental focus, but it's kind of meditative and calming.

3. There is basically no chance of injury.

When I first tried the workout, I did it with 5 lb dumbbells that I already had lying around. I felt that the weight was a bit distracting and wanted to start lighter, so I got some 3 lb dumbbells. They seem a bit better for me. They are definitely light, but the weight isn't supposed to be the point. Willful, focused contraction is. With the 5 lb weights, I found myself focusing a bit more on moving the weight and a bit less on squeezing my muscles than I thought I was supposed to be. I'll probably move up to 5 lbs once I get the hang of things mentally and can direct my focus appropriately. Anyway, I recommend getting rid of any ego or shame about the numbers on the 'bells.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Haven’t been posting recently.  Still trying to stay within the MFP recommended calorie goal.  Exercising most days.  With that said, just in an overall funk leading to a fight with self motivation.  Not quite IDGF just yet.  Work is very stressful currently which isn’t helping my overall mood, probably contributing significantly.  

The 4 year anniversary of my wife’s passing is next week. I’m sure that’s a big factor in my overall mood.  It’s a daily struggle but I’m marching on.

Cheesey

Haven’t been posting recently.  Still trying to stay within the MFP recommended calorie goal.  Exercising most days.  With that said, just in an overall funk leading to a fight with self motivation.  Not quite IDGF just yet.  Work is very stressful currently which isn’t helping my overall mood, probably contributing significantly.  

The 4 year anniversary of my wife’s passing is next week. I’m sure that’s a big factor in my overall mood.  It’s a daily struggle but I’m marching on.

Cheesey
Please be good to yourself CP, work is stressing everyone out with all types of new rules and whatnot, I definitely have been in more of a DGAF mood last couple weeks. 

The 2nd part of your post makes me pause and be thankful for what I have and not worry about things I can't control. 👍

Glad you dropped in. 

Cheesey
Hang in there GB. March on!

My DGAF has been very high the last week or so - continually failing to meet my goals for this month , day after day  :kicksrock:

The only saving grace is that I am still under 200 which is an overall goal during the pandemic.

I woke up with considerable DGAF this morning, but I was able to use self-loathing to remind myself that I am still, in fact, a fat tub of goo. That got me out the door and into the 87% humidity. As a reward, I'm allowing myself an extra glass of Coke Zero this morning.

Cheesey
Hang in there.   Only logical to feel down at this time due to your loss and challenges at work.   You will get through.  

bostonfred said:
im sort of in the fight of my life so i have to be easy to find motivation for me right now take that to the bank brochacho
What's going on with you swochacho?
i have hit my 200 minutes of workout goal for every day of june except for this saturday when my sisterhan came over and we sat outside social distancing and i have also been under my calory goal every day this month even when my sis was around so i am on the straight and narrow and keepin on keepin on and now i have about 7 pounds to go to get to where the docs want me to be so that is all right with me take that to the bank bromigos 

Users who are viewing this thread