What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (15 Viewers)

bostonfred said:
Sorry for my absence recently. I have been absolutely miserable the last couple weeks. Worst case of poison ivy in my life. Couldn't sleep, couldn't exercise without making it much much worse, and I was in an awful mood between lack of sleep, discomfort and work of course picking up at the worst time. Drank more than I should have, ate comfort foods I usually don't... just a bad stretch. 

But i didn't stop running altogether- even though it hurt I still ran a couple times a week. And I ran tonight and feel like I'm done with the worst of it, finally. So, I'm back to it.  Myfitnesspal is back on, had a good day today, and I'm ready to build on it tomorrow. 
I feel like I'm getting good at returning to the diet after a Fattening 

day one regret everything, feel like I'm going to have a hard time with this, carb and alcohol cravings still in effect, scale looks absurdly bad

day two, emptying out, realizing how not hungry I really am because I've been overeating

day three, still have some bloat and carb cravings but I feel like this is normal again 

Gradually increasing the running back to pre poison ivy levels and for the first time in weeks I didn't feel awful afterwards. Slept like a baby too without alcohol or calamine. It was glorious. 

I feel like I'm getting good at returning to the diet after a Fattening 

day one regret everything, feel like I'm going to have a hard time with this, carb and alcohol cravings still in effect, scale looks absurdly bad

day two, emptying out, realizing how not hungry I really am because I've been overeating

day three, still have some bloat and carb cravings but I feel like this is normal again 

Gradually increasing the running back to pre poison ivy levels and for the first time in weeks I didn't feel awful afterwards. Slept like a baby too without alcohol or calamine. It was glorious. 
I really struggle with reducing carbs.   It’s easier for me to stop drinking booze.   I’m going to use you as motivation.   

I really struggle with reducing carbs.   It’s easier for me to stop drinking booze.   I’m going to use you as motivation.   
I'm not a keto guy although I did it 20 years ago when it was called Atkins and it did work for a while.  What made it work was getting excited about the foods you were allowed to have while dieting. Instead of thinking of it as "reducing carbs", maybe try watching your calories, and pick some high protein and fat foods you really like. 

Steak tips with grilled peppers and onions and a side of broccoli or some other high fiber veggies. 

Make up a stir fry but instead of a huge serving of rice with some veggies and meat, try using two eggs and half a serving of brown rice, whatever vegetables you like (carrots broccoli cauliflower peas onion and scallions all work for me) and a ton of grilled chicken breast or marinated pork. 

Scallops are so good for you and they're pure protein. Take a bunch of scallops, pat them down with a paper towel, let them air dry and then pat them down again to get any water out, then heat up an empty pan on medium high, add a dot of olive oil and wait for it to spread around, add the scallops to the hot pan and let them sear for 2 minutes,  flip and let them sear again. The remaining water will kind of foam out of them while they heat and if you're trying something new, add a splash of beer, wine, or some soy sauce, maybe with some rice wine/rice vinegar. So good. 

Shrimp, salmon, haddock... pretty much any fresh seafood is great. 

Omelettes are awesome. I have posted my favorite way of making eggs - if you're not going full keto or can spare the carbs for a low carb tortilla, try this.  The biggest thing I missed on Atkins was the crunch. The only foods that satisfy that crunch need are carbs but this totally does it. https://www.reddit.com/r/u_ClideRn/comments/gcudt5/_/

A low carb tortilla with black beans, chicken, salsa, guacamole and some shredded cheese tastes awesome.  

So many good foods you can have if you're trying to cut carbs. And if you're not strictly cutting carbs, potatoes (and sweet potatoes) are a great way to get some carby goodness without blowing up your calorie totals. 

After being relatively stagnant for the past few weeks I decided to really focus on the diet and cut out the snacks that were adding garbage points. 

Weighed in at 227.1 this morning (down 2.5 this week, 30.6 since 1/1/20). This is my lightest weight in 6 years.

It is also interesting (to me) that I have not run at all. I am still exceeding 15k steps, but doing so by taking 2 long walks / day.

so i had a cardiac rehab appointment yesterday and they basically told me to tone it down on the exercise as my blood pressure is now like 80 something over 40 something and told me to drink a lot more fluid and eat more calories every day so i think that 200 minutes a day may be a thing of the past but i will keep on keepin on and gettin er dun brohans dont worry about that take that to the bank 

so i had a cardiac rehab appointment yesterday and they basically told me to tone it down on the exercise as my blood pressure is now like 80 something over 40 something and told me to drink a lot more fluid and eat more calories every day so i think that 200 minutes a day may be a thing of the past but i will keep on keepin on and gettin er dun brohans dont worry about that take that to the bank 
Take that to the online banking app for now brohan and take care of your swcheart 

M, T, W and today's update...

Monday was a 45 Minute walk/run and I popped my 1st hip flexor while running.  :towelwave:

Tuesday: I cycled for about 60 Minutes to stretch out my hip and I figured out there is almost no impact cycling, meaning I didn't really find a lot of discomfort from that hip flexor. I also played Tennis in the evening for about 2 hours and and I injured that hip a little more on the very last shot of the night. 😆

Wed: I cycled for about an hour. 

Thur: I cycled for 45 minutes in the rain, yuck!

I'm at around 1,300 Minutes for the Month.  

Hey Doc, I used to love carbs like everything in the Bakery section of the grocery store. 

What we are really talking about is sugar, white sugar, and it's in a lot of things. Carbs like the kind you find in oatmeal (27g per serving) help so you aren't craving carbs throughout the day and that's when you grab stuff you shouldn't. 

Once I stopped eating sweets all the time I stopped craving them. I'm sure I'm not the first person to post that in here. But it starts at breakfast, you should try and steer clear of sugar in the morning. I do Oatmeal and some fruit, most of my carbs come from fruit. I buy loads of berries as an example and put them on and in everything like the oatmeal, yogurt and evening desserts with a little tapioca pudding on top of a bed of berries. 

Rained just enough to discourage my walk all morning. I got on the scale and it said I gained four pounds this week, which is complete bs because I ate properly all week but I haven't pooped since Thursday (krista>hi). Then I had my weekly migas and came back home for a nice, long nap. So today is a disaster, but I'll make up for it by getting tuned up and making a terrible food decision late at night.

Back at it tomorrow.

did 25 miles on my bike today walked for about a 45 minutes and then just golfed 9 holes getting poured on part of the time which was swell my fitness pal says im net negative 630 calories for the day which is going to piss my cardiology nurses off who can see it but hey thats life in the big city take that to the bank bromigos 

I’ve done nothing. Literally. For weeks.  Zero exercise. A lot of eating and drinking. Father’s Day is it.  Last day of it this. Full on middle aged fat man gut rocking now. Totslly lethargic, want to go to sleep at 8pm or 9pm constantly. This can’t go on. 

I’ve done nothing. Literally. For weeks.  Zero exercise. A lot of eating and drinking. Father’s Day is it.  Last day of it this. Full on middle aged fat man gut rocking now. Totslly lethargic, want to go to sleep at 8pm or 9pm constantly. This can’t go on. 
We stand at a crossroads. Maybe we have been at these crossroads a few times before , sure, but this time is different. We have tasted victory. 3+ months of rowing and fasting had us feeling great. Life is not without adversity, however, and suddenly we were waylayed by the ronas. Quarantine sucks, of course, so we dialed back the exercise. The pantry was only mere steps away at all times. The internet full of articles telling us to give ourselves some grace in the hard times. We gave up.

The question we must now ask ourselves - is in ten years when the toddlers are suddenly teenagers playing soccer, or running around the neighborhood, or are at the pool — do we want to be the stereotypical fat dad who, sure, has some money, but otherwise can barely make it up the stairs without being out of breath? Who can’t go on the family walk with the beloved family dog (where the pix, btw?) without devolving into a sweaty mess? Or, do we want to be the dad who can join in the volleyball or soccer game without a second thought? Who is at the beach or at the pool and has the other wives looking sideways at their husbands wondering why they can’t make the effort? 

Make the effort, @Otis, make the effort. 

....6800 something in 30 minutes. 

I’ve fallen in this trap as well, feel awful and need to cut weight. Have been walking but the eating and booze during quarantine has put me in a hole. Have a foot issue where running has been taken from me, teach me your secrets people. Need to shed this quarantine flab. 

Show me what 3 days of trying looks like and I'll put in the effort to help you get back on track 

Had a good chat with Mrs. O this morning.  She’s also put on some weight and feels pretty miserable about it.  She is serious about this too.  It’s always so much easy and much more prone to success when we’re on the same page.  She’s thinking about taking a good month off from drinking, maybe more, and after that never returning to weekday drinking.  So, we’re all in.

Had a good chat with Mrs. O this morning.  She’s also put on some weight and feels pretty miserable about it.  She is serious about this too.  It’s always so much easy and much more prone to success when we’re on the same page.  She’s thinking about taking a good month off from drinking, maybe more, and after that never returning to weekday drinking.  So, we’re all in.
My link

Cannot engage motivation for more than a day or two.  I think I just need to do keto again, as its the only thing I can get quick results with to keep my motivation going.  We're going to get 30 days notice for when we need to return to the office.  That will ultimately be when I start, as I won't be able to motivate myself before then.  I do need to lose some weight to get back into my work clothes though.

If I was going out for a 3 mile jog/walk/run.....which would be better for me?

1.  Get it done in 35 minutes with mostly jogging.

2.  Get it done in 60 minutes with more of a mix of walking/jogging/etc.

Health benefits and calories burned would be fairly close, right?

I think there is a difference based on HR. Apparently for fat burning (which is what most of us want) you’re best being in the aerobic zone, which is pretty moderate, for longer periods of time. At least that’s my understanding. 

I always think longer is a little better, less time to eat snacks. 

Time isn't free, but 1 is only optimal to 2 if you can consistently do it without developing an injury. Without more info I would suggest alternating between the two. 

I've been on the road a lot the last several days and I wanted to update this group with all the good work we have done. 

-I got to walk around Sunset Park which sits in the Pasadena section of St Pete, FL with pretty brick roads and lots of gorgeous little water views. Stayed at the historic Crystal Bay Hotel which sits right across from this gorgeous park. I was up and at 'em about 6:30-6:45 in the morning much to my son's chagrin. Point is I walked at least 60 minutes and made exercise an important part of my travel which I never do. I made sure not to eat things that would trigger digestion problems, so my son order something deep fried, dad has a chix salad and a light beer. It's a different mind set all together when I go out. It was like I was still at home, just in a different city. 

F, S, Sun, all of those days had minimum 60-90 minute walks sometimes more than one a day. 

Monday I did not exercise at all, and since March 20th that's really the first day that has happened. One day I let the challenge slide but I still was painting but Monday I didn't lift a finger except at the driver who cut me of. 

I did mention this group and many by name in the JP Morgan thread at the end, I hope you'll have a look. 

I'm somewhere in the 1750 Minute range for the month and I am playing Tennis 4x this week, the reception I have received has been amazing. Still nursing the left hip flexor, comes and goes. 

And Finally...you want to know what I weigh? I was expecting something like 190-Something after traveling to see my son, I always pack on weight because we eat like Middle School Brats for 3-4 days and I just can't keep pace with him. 

184 even. I think Tennis stripped me of some water weight last night but I am already past the goal this month of about 5 lbs and I am starting to think I could keep sliding into the 170s and further, even at almost 6-3, I have a soft middle and there's work to do. I need to lift more free weights. 

You guys have helped me strip 36 lbs off this frame since March 20th, thank you!

I fall for this every time. 

I had a longer post and cut it. Start ROWING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. Day 3 in a row. Also Day 3 of eating like a normal human (I did have pizza today, but my only meal) and not drinking alcohol. Though work is slaying me and I really wanted some wine tonight... thank goodness Mrs O stayed strong on that, I would have cracked. 
Seriously? Same here, just tore up two 18" slices this afternoon. Yogurt breakfast but not much else. 

But I had a beer and I'm about to crack another. 

Me too. Day 3 in a row. Also Day 3 of eating like a normal human (I did have pizza today, but my only meal) and not drinking alcohol. Though work is slaying me and I really wanted some wine tonight... thank goodness Mrs O stayed strong on that, I would have cracked. 
Show me what 3 days of trying looks like and I'll put in the effort to help you get back on track 
Nice. Let's do this. 

Are you open to tracking calories? Or going al fresco and trusting your ability to keep your intake down while you do some rowing?  Please don't say fad diet.

Do you have a goal?  A target weight?  Do you need one?  How long are you planning to commit for?  

How are you going to stay motivated this time?  Rely on your wife to push you? Post your results in the thread?  Do you want to do a biggest loser bet with someone again?  

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start inviting our fellow FBGs who are struggling right now to join us in here. This place(FBG) is turning into a mental ICU, maybe some folks just need to get out and go for a walk. 

I'm not going to derail the good stuff we all do but isn't there a mental side to all of this? or...Doesn't physical activity release a lot of hostility and in turn you get a much better spirit internally and the whole things just starts taking off?

You all know how awful I was when you all got me 90+ days ago, let's not kid ourselves I was a ####### mess, too much TV, and look what you all did with me. You all enabled me to get on top of my emotions thru diet and exercise and it's a huge shot in the arm. I'm not arguing or selling my POV right now in most of these threads, all I want to do is hug some of these folks, I feel bad for them and understand why they are struggling. Maybe I need to try a mental health thread but I think we have one of those. 

Physical and Mental go hand in hand IMHO. 

Be strong everyone! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Let's do this. 

Are you open to tracking calories? Or going al fresco and trusting your ability to keep your intake down while you do some rowing?  Please don't say fad diet.

Do you have a goal?  A target weight?  Do you need one?  How long are you planning to commit for?  

How are you going to stay motivated this time?  Rely on your wife to push you? Post your results in the thread?  Do you want to do a biggest loser bet with someone again?  
I don’t know GB.  It all sounds daunting.  

Day 4 today.  35 min row and eating healthy.  And not gonna drink.  

You said three days.  This is the 4th.  Why am I still chubby GB?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start inviting our fellow FBGs who are struggling right now to join us in here. This place(FBG) is turning into a mental ICU, maybe some folks just need to get out and go for a walk. 

I'm not going to derail the good stuff we all do but isn't there a mental side to all of this? or...Doesn't physical activity release a lot of hostility and in turn you get a much better spirit internally and the whole things just starts taking off?

You all know how awful I was when you all got me 90+ days ago, let's not kid ourselves I was a ####### mess, too much TV, and look what you all did with me. You all enabled me to get on top of my emotions thru diet and exercise and it's a huge shot in the arm. I'm not arguing or selling my POV right now in most of these threads, all I want to do is hug some of these folks, I feel bad for them and understand why they are struggling. Maybe I need to try a mental health thread but I think we have one of those. 

Physical and Mental go hand in hand IMHO. 

Be strong everyone! 
I like the idea of a new thread for a summer get right, physically and mentally. Start it up and I'll be there 

I don’t know GB.  It all sounds daunting.  

Day 4 today.  35 min row and eating healthy.  And not gonna drink.  

You said three days.  This is the 4th.  Why am I still chubby GB?
It usually takes at least 5 days to meet your goals. 

You seem to need rules to succeed.

I like the daily exercise thing rule for you but when you had a couple days in a row earlier where you couldn't row, you just gave up. Maybe daily exercise but include some non rowing exercise if you can't row?  Like taking the family for a walk or bike ride?  Or something where you reward yourself for working out, like you can't have certain foods unless you rowed?

I like the no drinking rule for you because I think you go off the rails when you drink, but if you don't think that's possible, then one cheat day per week which can include alcohol?  And maybe you need 5 days of exercise to earn that cheat day? 

You seem to struggle when you think "I've got this". Like the moment you get in the groove, you're like,  ok, I've accomplished this, I don't need to try hard anymore. The hard part isn't the first week. It's the seventh consecutive week. I feel like you need a goal and stakes of some kind.  Maybe a deal with your wife that if you each meet your goals you get to do something you both like, and if one of you "wins" they get to pick something?  Might be next vacation, or a home remodel you both want, or something you wouldn't normally purchase. 

You seem to struggle at night. Maybe start doing the fbg poker tourneys again or some other non alcohol, non food activity?  Bonus points if you choose something with the family more often. 

Users who are viewing this thread