What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

I read this thread and just one word comes to mind: Hypothyroidism
Why?  Most the folks in here know why they are overweight - if they are overweight.  I don’t think we’ve had many in here that would fit a hypothyroid diagnosis.  But I’m not a doctor by any stretch.  Or was this a joke and it went sailing over my head?

Fred is like the dog whisperer for Otis :lmao:  
Otis for less than you paid to get rid of your trees i will follow you around with encouraging words and a spray bottle filled with water and watch you eat. 

Black coffee?  Great job O

Oh an apple and some tuna?  That sounds nutritious and delicious 

Wow that pizza looks great.  Go ahead, you've earned it. Just keep it to two slices, maybe three. 

Did you just order a 50 piece mcnugget by yourself?  Spritz spritz spritz.  Bad otis. Bad. 

heading to the gym for a kettlebell class.  i look forward to this class every week.  it's taught by a dude that rode his bike across the US in 7 days.  it's brutally hard.  i easily burn 1000+ calories in an hour.  

let's go!

Why?  Most the folks in here know why they are overweight - if they are overweight.  I don’t think we’ve had many in here that would fit a hypothyroid diagnosis.  But I’m not a doctor by any stretch.  Or was this a joke and it went sailing over my head?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is the case.

Hypo is the old trope about what obese people claim, medically sound diagnosis or not.

This thread is like my rural hometown 24 hr. convenience store. The teenagers are still hanging out there, the adults going "Is this still a thing?"

I mean, subtract the age implications or immaturity implications -- I can't believe this thread is still a thing. Good on you guys for at least striving out loud for dietary and health changes.

This thread is like my rural hometown 24 hr. convenience store. The teenagers are still hanging out there, the adults going "Is this still a thing?"

I mean, subtract the age implications or immaturity implications -- I can't believe this thread is still a thing. Good on you guys for at least striving out loud for dietary and health changes.
A lot of good stuff has gone on in this thread and I’m not being hyperbolic when I say it’s helped change my life.  5/10 years ago on an average fall Saturday I would have ingested 2k calories by now and done no exercise and be sitting watching football.  Today I’ve run 14 miles which burned 2k calories and I’ve done some other exercise too.  I’ve eaten a grilled chicken salad and a small breakfast wrap and drank no calories (yet!).  

There’s ton of good and knowledgeable people in here AND lots of schtick.  This thread keeps me motivated every day to stay on top of things.  I know this all may sound corny but I have no doubt in my mind that this thread has not only made my quality of life better but it will add many years to it (god willing).

A lot of good stuff has gone on in this thread and I’m not being hyperbolic when I say it’s helped change my life.  5/10 years ago on an average fall Saturday I would have ingested 2k calories by now and done no exercise and be sitting watching football.  Today I’ve run 14 miles which burned 2k calories and I’ve done some other exercise too.  I’ve eaten a grilled chicken salad and a small breakfast wrap and drank no calories (yet!).  

There’s ton of good and knowledgeable people in here AND lots of schtick.  This thread keeps me motivated every day to stay on top of things.  I know this all may sound corny but I have no doubt in my mind that this thread has not only made my quality of life better but it will add many years to it (god willing).
I don't doubt it and you don't sound corny. I laugh at the shtick of Otis, but good on you guys. 

This tells me you have not found a sustainable regime.  You have to think a like a football coach and make changes that help you to get to the Super Bowl year after year and not gimmicks that get you a few victories against 3rd rate teams.
Sorry but :lmao:  at someone telling MAC this. Dude is a machine and he’s still fairly young.  One day he’ll probably need to clean his diet up some but that day ain’t today.

Sorry but :lmao:  at someone telling MAC this. Dude is a machine and he’s still fairly young.  One day he’ll probably need to clean his diet up some but that day ain’t today.
It's coming soon. Had to make the 16/8 IF adjustment this year. Few years ago it was the healthy eating weekdays til after dinner. Next will be cutting out night time snacking during the week.  Not looking forward to that one. 

I've also pretty much cut out all fast food with the exception of Wendy's, Chick Fil A, and Culvers, and those are pretty rare as well. I legitimately can't stomach McDonald's, it makes my stomach hurt, and so I avoid it. Even the other ones I mentioned do some damage, but that's because I'm used to legitimate food, not heavily processed stuff.

heading to the gym for a kettlebell class.  i look forward to this class every week.  it's taught by a dude that rode his bike across the US in 7 days.  it's brutally hard.  i easily burn 1000+ calories in an hour.  

let's go!
Survived. Barely. @AAABatteries  I wish I could count how many squats we do. Buts it’s unpossible, I’m too gassed to keep track. But it’s got to be over 500, easy. This class is often my leg day.

So. Many. Single. Leg. Squats. Aaaaasassrrrrrrrrgggggggjhhhhhh

There are several keys to healthy eating.   The 1st step is the grocery shopping.  Tell me your game plan for this?
Tuesday ad day ritual. We use google keep for grocery shopping, four grocery store sections and an other for anything else. Fill in the ads to take advantage of then as we run out of or low on stuff add it to whatever store we usually get it from. Stay on the outer rim at the store. Only go into an aisle if it's on the list. Allowed to grab one unhealthy thing that catches my eye, but otherwise stick to the list. 

Today's haul - deli turkey, swiss, kaiser buns, romaine, orange/red/yellow/green peppers, tomatoes, apples, bananas, hungarian hot peppers, clementines, grapes, pineapple, carrots, peas, shredded colby jack, cottage cheese, blue corn chips, 3 dozen eggs, white vinegar, milk. 

This seriously doesn't feel like dieting at all.  

Breakfast 420 calories

- Large iced coffee with milk (dunkin) 50 calories

- Power breakfast sandwich (dunkin) 370

Lunch 400 calories

- 2 packets Quaker high fiber oatmeal (340)

- Milk (60)

Snacks 380 calories

- 8 oz tub Noosa raspberry yogurt 280 calories

- Steamed broccoli - 4 cups/ one microwavable bag 100 calories 

Exercise -550 calories while watching an episode of breaking bad

- Run 2 miles 6mph (-370 calories) 

- Walk 30 minutes 3mph (-180 calories) 

Dinner 1000 calories

- Seasoned salmon 99 restaurant (550 calories) 

- Baked potato 99 restaurant (250 calories) 

- Franzia crisp white 10 oz (200 calories) 

Total 1650 net calories

Not a joke. It's not good for the body to bounce back and forth between starving oneself and gorging. When I'm reading that someone is throwing down two cheeseburger value meals and 20 piece nuggets as a side, then trying to sustain only on water and coffee at other times, that's a recipe for a thyroid that will eventually shut down. And once that happens no weight will be lost no matter how little is consumed. I actually hope I read that wrong.

BTW, my small contribution to this thread would be to eat something as quickly after waking in the morning as possible. It jumpstarts the metabolism and lengthens the time of day spent between first consumption and last. Too many people start too late or skip breakfast altogether. It hurts the metabolism when all calories are consumed in a smaller window, say 11AM-8PM (9 hours). Someone who starts digesting at 6AM and spreads things out fairly evenly until 7PM (13 hours) would be much better off.

Your shopping list indicates you may not like to cook very much.  What tasty recipes do you know?
I don't cook, my wife does. We didn't need to restock any proteins and there weren't any deals. Turkey chili tomorrow, baked salmon and peas Monday, spaghetti squash pasta Tuesday. Figure out the rest of the week that night. Need to stay disciplined with a Clambake coming up next weekend 😋

Not a joke. It's not good for the body to bounce back and forth between starving oneself and gorging. When I'm reading that someone is throwing down two cheeseburger value meals and 20 piece nuggets as a side, then trying to sustain only on water and coffee at other times, that's a recipe for a thyroid that will eventually shut down. And once that happens no weight will be lost no matter how little is consumed. I actually hope I read that wrong.

BTW, my small contribution to this thread would be to eat something as quickly after waking in the morning as possible. It jumpstarts the metabolism and lengthens the time of day spent between first consumption and last. Too many people start too late or skip breakfast altogether. It hurts the metabolism when all calories are consumed in a smaller window, say 11AM-8PM (9 hours). Someone who starts digesting at 6AM and spreads things out fairly evenly until 7PM (13 hours) would be much better off.
You’re working with old data/information.  The jumpstart metabolism stuff is no longer followed.  The problem for most isn’t their metabolism it’s they are insulin resistant and don’t allow their body to clear their insulin by overeating bad carbs and/or by eating too much and too often. 

As for thyroid - you may be right, don’t know much about that but I think the eating 20 nuggets and cheeseburgers and then fasting is mostly schtick.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re working with old data/information.  The jumpstart metabolism stuff is no longer followed.  The problem for most isn’t their metabolism it’s they are insulin resistant and don’t allow their body to clear their insulin by overeating bad carbs and/or by eating too much and too often. 
Hmmm, works for me.

Is that you Otis?
No just trying to give some examples of what I'm doing because it's been working well for me.

Fast food for breakfast, microwavable lunch a couple snacks during the day, a little exercise while watching tv, dinner at a restaurant, and a couple glasses of wine.

But still getting my fiber, a decent amount of protein, lots of vitamin C today from the broccoli and some A and D from the dairy although not a ton of other vitamins.  

This is what a sustainable diet looks like,  at least for me. I feel like this is more practical than the stuff nutritionists write because most of us don't actually have time to make a healthy avocado black bean chicken tacos on homemade tortillas every night. 

As for thyroid - you may be right, don’t know much about that but I think the eating 20 nuggets and cheeseburgers and then fasting is mostly schtick.  
The thyroid thing is one reason why I resisted IF as long as I did. I have no clue if there actually is a correlation there, but it makes sense. I doubt 16/8 can be an issue though. The longer ones though.

Hmmm, works for me.
Ultimately just about everyone in here is onboard with doing what works for you.  If it’s not sustainable for you then it doesn’t matter how good a plan it is. In case you are interested I did a quick Google and this was the first hit.  This is basically what I’ve read in lots of places.

Myth #1: Eating breakfast ‘jumpstarts’ your metabolism.

There are many benefits to breakfast. It can provide vital nutrients and improve school performance – and of course, there’s bacon (enough said!). But kicking your metabolism into overdrive is not one of them. The concept that your metabolism needs a ‘boost’ from food right when you wake up is completely unfounded.

In fact, this 16-week study showed that, regardless of whether subjects ate or skipped breakfast, their metabolism was exactly the same at the end of the study as it was on Day 1. There was no difference in calories burned between the two groups, nor was there any change within each group over the 16 weeks. Body fat percentage, lean body mass, waist circumference, and BMI also remained very similar between the two groups.

In fact, the breakfast eaters appeared to eat significantly more calories throughout the day. They ate 2,730 calories on average compared to 2,191 in the breakfast skippers, despite being of similar weight and statures. This surge in calorie count was balanced by a proportional increase in self-reported physical activity, which explains the lack of weight gain in the breakfast eaters’ group. So while eating breakfast may not help your body burn more calories passively, it could give you the energy to hit the gym in the morning.

I sense you bought something else that you did not mention.
Nah, I own my cheating. I meant to replace the bottle of wine from last night, but I forgot. That 44 pack of popcorn from costco gets replaced more frequently than it should. Just got back from an end of season sports dinner with my son. Chili mac, kabobs, stuffed mushrooms, and this strawberry chocolate concoction. But to limit quantities of each I ate before going, so I wouldnt over do it. And I try to keep as little junk as possible in the house. Can't eat what's not here. 

Just thinking out loud here. If I started running A couple miles at night, and continued lifting in the morning like I have been, probably my abs would grow abs. 

Considering this. 

Just thinking out loud here. If I started running A couple miles at night, and continued lifting in the morning like I have been, probably my abs would grow abs. 

Considering this. 
Nah, abs are 90% diet and genes. Those arent happening. Just be happy with buying slimmer pants.

If you're really going to do this look up couch to 5k. Simple program, but it's the best way to progress and minimize injury potential. 

Nah, abs are 90% diet and genes. Those arent happening. Just be happy with buying slimmer pants.

If you're really going to do this look up couch to 5k. Simple program, but it's the best way to progress and minimize injury potential. 
Downloaded the app. 

I used to run several times a week in Central Park. Was up to 10-12 mile runs regularly.  It feels silly to me having to use an app and starting by running 5 minutes and then walking etc, but then again, that was half a lifetime and a bunch of pounds ago. Probably smart for me to just follow the app. 

Otis said:
An off the rails weekday?

Well, remember, regular week days for a long time we’re me and Mrs. O splitting 1-2 bottles of red wine.  4-5 drinks pretty standard.  So, already we’ve eliminated that bad habit. Which by the way drove more careless snacking. 

Food for an off the rails night? 3-4 slices of pizza? Bunch of snacks.  Bunch of cookies?  Some chocolate? Or maybe a McDonalds night. My standard McDs order, which we were getting once a week for a while, is the two cheeseburger meal, a Diet Coke (one of the very few times I would ever drink cola), and a 20 piece chicken nuggets.  I could hammer that down pretty easily. No idea how many calories that is — must be north of 2,000. 

My weekends, it depends. Sometimes I would pick up fresh bagels for the family and have 1-2 of those myself with butter or cream cheese. Lunch out is standard. At a local mexican place often, with chips and salsa and guacamole, some fish tacos, 2-4 sangrias, and some of the leftover chicken fingers and fries from the kids.  Then maybe a little day drinking and a light dinner?

Weekends are my main big weakness now I think, because we really enjoy going out to eat as a family for lunch. Just our thing. My keto version is to get a couple of cut up chicken breasts and dip those into guacamole (it’s just not the same, so often I revert to our usual meal, which honestly doesn’t seem THAT outrageous as long as I’m not eating the kids’ leftovers). 

Honestly, my caloric intake isn’t that insane for someone my size. I’m also not a huge enormous fat dude. I’m a dad with a dad midsection. 30lbs less and I’d look great. It’s not like I’m one of those dudes sitting home guzzling two liters of soda every day, 80lbs overweight (no offense to those dudes BTW). I know that’s the shtick here. But I’m just a regular lookin dude I think. Just want to be more fit. 
No offense taken.

Day 1 of Couch25K.  Runwalked about 3 miles.  Ran more than I walked, and could have run more, but trying to just trust the program.

Breakfast was two cauliflower bread things Mrs. O is eating these days, with some turkey and cheese. 

By the way, these Plant Power Sandwich Thins are pretty amazing.  Great for keto, where it’s hard to find a replacement “vehicle” for bread.  I toasted up a sandwich today with turkey and Swiss on these, and it was fantastic.  Mrs. O makes little pizzas on them, loves them.  Pretty great all around sandwich and pizza tool.

Day 1 of Couch25K.  Runwalked about 3 miles.  Ran more than I walked, and could have run more, but trying to just trust the program.

Breakfast was two cauliflower bread things Mrs. O is eating these days, with some turkey and cheese. 
Save your energy for what you enjoy more, lifting. I'm sure you could run faster, but injuries dont surface after run one. It's after doing several of them faster than your current fitness.

Day 25:

Let my legs rest some today 

- 10,114 Steps

- 250 push-ups 

- 250 squats

- 250 abs (50 Flutter kicks; 50 leg lifts; 50 crunches;  50 mountain climbers; 50 teasers)

- Stretching - NOPE

- 100 oz of water - NOPE

- Sleep - CHECK - 10 hours

Hit a milestone today. Thought about cheating but changed my mind. Played with the kid in the morning, did some house clearing and treadmill while watching football.  

Breakfast 650

Panera bread maple bacon and egg wrap 430

Extra large coffee with milk and sugar 220

Lunch 470

Slice of meat pizza 470

Exercise -650

60 minutes walking 3mph -370

15 minutes running 6mph -280

Dinner/ snack 970

Bowl of chicken tortilla soup 400

Small southwest salad 230

Sam Adams octoberfest 180

Chips 160

Total 2090-650= 1440 net calories. 

A little lower than i usually go but honestly didn't feel like eating any more and that was the last beer in the house.  

Users who are viewing this thread