What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (13 Viewers)

As expected, the first 30 minutes were good but pretty standard, the balance poses were seriously challenging, and then the boat ups sucked that last little bit of energy out of me. Not proud that I had to cheat a little to get back up to that last boat.  One nice moment today when she ####ed up balancing, like an actual human. And then she got all weird again when she saw a moth and thought it might be a religious experience.  
I haven't been in the mood for this one yet today.  I'm not sure this will make me any more likely to do so.  She lost her balance two days ago (I think that's when it was?), too.  Of course, she said she was sore because she'd been doing so many yoga classes, and I don't have that excuse.

I haven't been in the mood for this one yet today.  I'm not sure this will make me any more likely to do so.  She lost her balance two days ago (I think that's when it was?), too.  Of course, she said she was sore because she'd been doing so many yoga classes, and I don't have that excuse.
I've never really considered this a competition, but that's not because of any yoga mindset or rah rah we can do this let's support each other niceness.  It's because you've always been ahead of me.  I love that I finished this before you and you are struggling with motivation. Look at me, on one summer Sunday I was better than krista4.  Don't worry, you don't need to do this one, you can just quit if you don't think you can handle it. 

Day 28 of yoga in the bag, I believe she wants to injure my knees.  I miss tacos and margaritas hard today on this beautiful sunny breezy 76 degree day.   But I had a nut bar for breakfast and salad for lunch.  For dinner I’m supposed to grill burgers and dogs for the kids; I may have a burger myself. There’s a live row with Eric Murray in an hour; feeling lethargic, but tempted to give it a go even if I only do half the row.  But yeah I’d kick grannies right now for a huge frozen margarita with salt on the rim. 

Day 28 of yoga in the bag, I believe she wants to injure my knees.  I miss tacos and margaritas hard today on this beautiful sunny breezy 76 degree day.   But I had a nut bar for breakfast and salad for lunch.  For dinner I’m supposed to grill burgers and dogs for the kids; I may have a burger myself. There’s a live row with Eric Murray in an hour; feeling lethargic, but tempted to give it a go even if I only do half the row.  But yeah I’d kick grannies right now for a huge frozen margarita with salt on the rim. 
Are you tracking calories at all or just eyeballing it and eating mostly vegetarian?  A burger isn't really that bad on calories. Even with cheese and a bun and some ketchup it's still not that bad. The problem is when you have the sides, the beers, the second burger... that's what sinks your diet. But in keeping with your new vegetarian ways... have you tried the impossible burgers? I've heard good things even from non vegetarians, and this seems like a good opportunity to try them if you haven't yet 

Are you tracking calories at all or just eyeballing it and eating mostly vegetarian?  A burger isn't really that bad on calories. Even with cheese and a bun and some ketchup it's still not that bad. The problem is when you have the sides, the beers, the second burger... that's what sinks your diet. But in keeping with your new vegetarian ways... have you tried the impossible burgers? I've heard good things even from non vegetarians, and this seems like a good opportunity to try them if you haven't yet 
Oh man, I’d love one of those impossible burgers actually.  I’ve had them from Burger King.  Mrs. O is of the view that some meat here and there is a good thing especially since I’m working out.  I think I’m fine with it as the only “meat meal” this week.

That’s my thinking too on a regular burger — it’s all the other stuff that kills me, and given what I’m eating, I’m not worried about calories.  Not tracking, just trying to be sensible about stuff, and limit calories, and avoid snacking and junk food.  And yeah, this would be no fries or sides, other than some corn on the cob.  And of course no beers.  

My last many sundays involved two large frozen margaritas in the early afternoon, followed by evening beer or wine, 3-6 tacos, and a bunch of chips salsa and guacamole.  It was magical.   

I've never really considered this a competition, but that's not because of any yoga mindset or rah rah we can do this let's support each other niceness.  It's because you've always been ahead of me.  I love that I finished this before you and you are struggling with motivation. Look at me, on one summer Sunday I was better than krista4.  Don't worry, you don't need to do this one, you can just quit if you don't think you can handle it. 
:lmao:  I did it.  Those standing one-legged thingies were brutal.  It was a time when I was glad we weren't filming it.

ETA:  All times I'm glad we aren't filming it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s go cheesy!

Upward dog was a fun twist today. I collapsed nineteen times during that. 

Oh and I decided to row. Turned out the next asensei row was a short one. Just two more left in the program, and just two more days of yoga left with Adriene, so I’m thinking I’ll try to complete both in the next two days and then regroup on my next yoga program and rowing program. 

PS I can’t believe I let my gut get this big. It’s a travesty. Why doesn’t it go away faster?

@Otis and anyone else who might be interested.  This is something that seems to happen when i try to cut calories seriously. 

First few days I empty out my reserves, lose the water weight, and feel great.  I might feel hungry the first day or two or be a little low on energy later in the week but as long as I'm staying within 1000 calories or so of maintenance (losing 2lbs per week according to myfitnesspal), I am fine. Sometimes I even dip below that number, when exercise is included, which I'm fine with for week 1 while I'm still emptying the reserves, but i try not to do in week 2 and beyond because it's unsafe. So this week I expect to eat every calorie I'm "allowed" so I stay at that magical two lbs per week number. 

But then comes a day like today where I wake up and I'm not exactly starving, I just really want to eat right away. I don't know if it's carb cravings or psychological or physical or what, but a yogurt isn't going to solve the problem. First time I went through this I took a cheat day and it almost completely derailed me, because the next day the same thing happened and my rhythm was completely broken. It took me a week to get back on track and I was scared to take another cheat day after that. Now I feel like i get it - instead of having coffee and waiting until lunch to start eating real food, I bought some Thomas's light english muffins and made a ham egg and cheese for 270 calories to start the day. And now I'm completely fine on day 9 of 65. 

Question for the yoga people (and I know some of you are not still doing this which is fine).

Tomorrow is the last day of the 30 day programs that we just did.  People finishing the beginner program are probably going to be disappointed tomorrow but that's fine. I don't really love the last two in the advanced program either.   A couple people like @kevzilla started later and are still working through the first 30 days and learning all the poses and I think that's best but I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program. 

For those of us who are looking to keep this going together, I'm scoping out some options and will do them one day at a time starting on Wednesday if that's OK.  Then once we've tried a few we can decide what to do next. I love that we are doing this as a group and keeping the accountability for each other so I would really like to find something we all agree on. 

If you want to be added to or removed from this list, let me know. 

That makes sense. Goes back to moderation.  

Day 29 of yoga done. Also rowed. Tomorrow is day 30 of yoga and, if I’m up to it, last day of the 6 week rowing program which is a 2k race test. 

Monday is easy. Weekdays are easy. I’ll have coffee and healthy snacks and healthy meals and no booze. Labor Day weekend will be not easy...

Question for the yoga people (and I know some of you are not still doing this which is fine).

Tomorrow is the last day of the 30 day programs that we just did.  People finishing the beginner program are probably going to be disappointed tomorrow but that's fine. I don't really love the last two in the advanced program either.   A couple people like @kevzilla started later and are still working through the first 30 days and learning all the poses and I think that's best but I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program. 

For those of us who are looking to keep this going together, I'm scoping out some options and will do them one day at a time starting on Wednesday if that's OK.  Then once we've tried a few we can decide what to do next. I love that we are doing this as a group and keeping the accountability for each other so I would really like to find something we all agree on. 

I’m in. I’ll follow whatever yoga programs you want. Even if it’s hard, I’ll just approximate it the best I can. 

@bostonfred I do not need to be removed from any lists, but I am doing the baby yoga everyday, and still failing quite spectacularly. Gonna be on this one for a while yet. If it ever gets easy, I'll move on. Downward-facing 282 lb dog is a whole 'nother thing.

Returned from my vacation to Maine on Saturday.  I was able to keep up with yoga but not much else.  Also ate poorly and drank a lot.  I tried a 45 minute body combat on Saturday and it was noticeably more difficult than usual (primarily because I took the week off).  Anyways, back to the grind.  No alcohol for me from Sunday through Thursday going forward.  

@bostonfred  Please keep me on the yoga list but I may take a week or two off.  My son starts virtual school next week and I suspect things will get hectic for me.  I like to reserve my evenings/nights for body combat/HIIT/etc.  I'll start yoga back up eventually but just need to figure out timing (and which program to do).  

No real excercise.   Starting with diet again.

Me and little belljr down 3 pounds. She crushed it.   Me a little too lacks.

Note my daughter is losing weight strictly for athletic purposes. She could afford to lose no more than 10 tops anyway

I’m in, and I like your suggestion.

Today’s was Yoga for Manual Labor, which is not exactly me.  Short, a bunch of stretching, and lots of weird voices (from Adriene, not in my head).

I’m in, and I like your suggestion.

Today’s was Yoga for Manual Labor, which is not exactly me.  Short, a bunch of stretching, and lots of weird voices (from Adriene, not in my head).
I actualky got kind of mad at her when she said breaths stretch oops I said breaths I know it sounds like breasts.  I get that its a video trying to get dudes to try yoga and she dressed for it, but that was a bit cheesy.

finishing up august strong got my swimming badge on strava with my last swim of the month this morning and walked about 45 minutes on top of that tonight i will ride my bike for a strava challenge that has me complete one leg of a tour da france of 103 miles over the next 18 days i am pretty sure i can get it done so that is where i am at lets make september one hell of a month and i challenge everyone to eat clean and work out well until friday at 5 pm take that to the bank brohans 

@bostonfred you can keep me on the yoga list, but I haven't done any yoga in a few weeks.  My house remodel just leaves me no space to do it.  Hoping to have the work done next week, so I can't get back to it.  

I've still be getting over 10k steps/day and tracking my food.  Weight loss has been slow but steady this month.  I do miss the yoga.  I made it about 10 days before the remodel started and was just starting to see some benefit.

had to shut it down for couple days.  work/kid's virtual freshman school/life/etc...just kicking my ###.  my knees are killing me.  i'll do one or both of the hard ones today.  depending on how hard the 1st one is.

120 miles or so in august.  many 1000's of push ups  much yoga.  happy

i'm in for the next yoga program.  i would like to do longer ones.  

Hundredpushups.com week 4 day 2 - sets of 25, 29, 25, 25 and 36. Done and dusted. Took a little longer rest, and paused briefly after the 29th pushup in the final set, but otherwise this was the strongest I've felt since starting this about a month ago when I was struggling with one set of 15. 

had to shut it down for couple days.  work/kid's virtual freshman school/life/etc...just kicking my ###.  my knees are killing me.  i'll do one or both of the hard ones today.  depending on how hard the 1st one is.

120 miles or so in august.  many 1000's of push ups  much yoga.  happy

i'm in for the next yoga program.  i would like to do longer ones.  
@bostonfred no need to be sad.  i'm good.  just had to be smart.  work has been crushingly hard, physically.  friday was 79 flights of stairs and 6 miles.  takes it's toll.  i knew the longer flow sessions, would be demanding.  and rather than half ### them, i paused.  i'm used to 2 a days, so will be caught up by tomorrow at the latest.

F it.  did all 3  i am caught up   :coffee:  

yesterday's was hard!  that 1 legged bit was difficult!!  and cow legs :lmao:   they are sooooooooooooooooo not happening.  

question for you yogis out there.  are your heels on the ground, in down dog?  mine are no where near the ground

eta:  threw in 100 push ups for good measure.  gotta pay the piper.

yesterday's was hard!  that 1 legged bit was difficult!!  and cow legs :lmao:   they are sooooooooooooooooo not happening.  

question for you yogis out there.  are your heels on the ground, in down dog?  mine are no where near the ground

First time to down dog every day, they’re not entirely down until I “pedal it out,” then they’re down the rest of the way.  Might be a lady thing that it’s easier for me; we’re more bendy.  I also love cow legs!  I’ve wondered why it’s called that, though.

Same. Heels aren’t even close. Though I think they’re a touch closer now on Day 30 than they were on Day 1. 

BTW is she saying CAT POW or CAT COW?  Stupid yoga...

Finished Day 30 of yoga, on schedule. Feeling good about that.  The “do your own ####” workout on the last day was interesting. I basically just followed her anyway, but threw in a few freestyle moves with my intentions

Also rowed and finished the last day of the 6 week course on asensei. My target time for the 2k race was 8:04, best it with a 7:58. Has to be my longest row by far sub 2 minute split Actually helps to yoga before the row, so much more limber and my stroke is smoother. 

Still haven’t had alcohol in like 10 days now. Still eating well. But still fat. So still doing it. 

Tomorrow I may try starting the Fred 100 push up program. Then I’ll pick back up with whatever yoga plan Fred has for us, and I’ll continue to row 3-4 times per week too.  If all of that combined with cutting alcohol and bad food doesn’t get me to goal, I give up. 

Finished Day 30 of yoga, on schedule. Feeling good about that.  The “do your own ####” workout on the last day was interesting. I basically just followed her anyway, but threw in a few freestyle moves with my intentions

Also rowed and finished the last day of the 6 week course on asensei. My target time for the 2k race was 8:04, best it with a 7:58. Has to be my longest row by far sub 2 minute split Actually helps to yoga before the row, so much more limber and my stroke is smoother. 

Still haven’t had alcohol in like 10 days now. Still eating well. But still fat. So still doing it. 

Tomorrow I may try starting the Fred 100 push up program. Then I’ll pick back up with whatever yoga plan Fred has for us, and I’ll continue to row 3-4 times per week too.  If all of that combined with cutting alcohol and bad food doesn’t get me to goal, I give up. 

If you continue all of this long term, I pretty much guarantee you will surpass your goal by a lot.  Just stay the course.

Same. Heels aren’t even close. Though I think they’re a touch closer now on Day 30 than they were on Day 1. 

BTW is she saying CAT POW or CAT COW?  Stupid yoga...
My heels touch easily now, but they didn't at the start.  Pedaling your feet helps.  It also helps to change your angle by moving your feet forward or back.  If you do a plank and just jam your butt in the air, you're not going to get the same benefit as if you take a step forward. If you watch her, she always takes a step forward from her vinyasa/chataranga/plank poses to down dog.  

It's two poses - cat and cow. Cat pose looks like a scared cat with its back arched up in the air and its head down low.  Cow pose looks like a big fat cow with its udders hanging low and its head held high. If you really activate your core when you do this it is a good exercise but even if you don't it's a great stretch any time your back or neck feel tight.

in my no booze for lent days.  no noticeable weight loss would occur until after 4-5 weeks.  then 10-15, sometimes 20, pounds would fall off rapidly.  be patient.  you're undoing years of bad habits.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I can touch heels with downward dog but not when we're doing the 3 legged thing (or whatever it's called when you're supposed to plant your one heel and swing the other leg back).  

• Smile

Awesome job sticking to the 30 days of yoga.  I love that you committed to a full month sight unseen, took a trip with family and had a barbecue and all of the little things that could derail it, and you stuck with it.  Seriously proud of you. 

Same thing with this asensei rowing.  Your numbers are improving across-the-board which is nice but what's awesome is that you care about it and that's the most important thing to sticking with it- that competitive streak is coming out and you are trying to get better because you want to. 

The pushups are similar, at least for me.  Hundredpushups.com has been good for me so far.  I did redo some days and I'm glad I did but mostly I've been able to go forward at the rate they suggested. Try to stick to the program - be honest on your first test, it doesn't matter if you're in the strongest week 1 or not, they all get to the same place eventually.  

I still haven't had a drop of alcohol since you and I stopped drinking together. I still have 3 bottles of wine in the house and I thought it would be difficult to stick with my commitment not to buy any more before my birthday at the end of October but I haven't even wanted it.

I have you to thank for this because I decided to quit drinking when you did and it's revving up my own efforts. 

I was planning to go until my birthday at the end of October, but I might try to go past that with you if you stick with this. I do better when I have a buddy and it seems like you do too.

We're doing awesome together. Keep up the good work. 

It's September. Time to start a new habit.

I started walking a lot more in mid-March. I started push-ups at the beginning of April. I started light dumbbells at the beginning of June.

I've been trying to do each of those things every day, and I've generally been pretty good about them (missing a day or two here and there), though the walking has fallen off a bit lately.

I'm going to start pull-ups today. The problem with doing pull-ups, though, is that I can't do a pull-up. I'll start with dead hangs and active hangs. I'll try to do between 5 and 10 sets a day of those and see how things go...

I started walking a lot more in mid-March. I started push-ups at the beginning of April. I started light dumbbells at the beginning of June.

I've been trying to do each of those things every day, and I've generally been pretty good about them (missing a day or two here and there), though the walking has fallen off a bit lately.

I'm going to start pull-ups today. The problem with doing pull-ups, though, is that I can't do a pull-up. I'll start with dead hangs and active hangs. I'll try to do between 5 and 10 sets a day of those and see how things go...
How are you going to do these?  Do you have a pull up bar or are you doing the Maurilley pulley method or ?

I like the idea of a pull-up challenge.  I think I'm going to purchase a bar and join you guys with this.  My baseline is probably 6-8 but I haven't done them in a few years.  Would love to see if I can improve over time.  

• Smile

Every time I am at a park with a reasonable bar available I attempt a 100 second dead hang. Haven't got there yet, but have been close. 

• Smile
tweaked a muscle in my forearm.  had to drop true pull-ups  they are awesome.  the gym had the assisted pull up machine.   :cry:  

• Smile
 be patient.  you're undoing years of bad habits.
This is what I keep telling myself.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.  And I didn’t get to where I am overnight.  This is many years of neglect I’ve got to undo.  It will take time.

• Smile
Awesome job sticking to the 30 days of yoga.  I love that you committed to a full month sight unseen, took a trip with family and had a barbecue and all of the little things that could derail it, and you stuck with it.  Seriously proud of you. 

Same thing with this asensei rowing.  Your numbers are improving across-the-board which is nice but what's awesome is that you care about it and that's the most important thing to sticking with it- that competitive streak is coming out and you are trying to get better because you want to. 

The pushups are similar, at least for me.  Hundredpushups.com has been good for me so far.  I did redo some days and I'm glad I did but mostly I've been able to go forward at the rate they suggested. Try to stick to the program - be honest on your first test, it doesn't matter if you're in the strongest week 1 or not, they all get to the same place eventually.  

I still haven't had a drop of alcohol since you and I stopped drinking together. I still have 3 bottles of wine in the house and I thought it would be difficult to stick with my commitment not to buy any more before my birthday at the end of October but I haven't even wanted it.

I have you to thank for this because I decided to quit drinking when you did and it's revving up my own efforts. 

I was planning to go until my birthday at the end of October, but I might try to go past that with you if you stick with this. I do better when I have a buddy and it seems like you do too.

We're doing awesome together. Keep up the good work. 
Love it, GB.  All of it.  Thanks for the motivation in here.  I was in a bad place and needed it.  This is all helping.  Let’s stay off the booze and keep at it.

I have not gotten started on the yoga front, but have kept up the daily walk along with the 100 pushup program. Thinking I am best starting at the Yoga for Beginners track and catch up with you all, but welcome alternate thoughts (have done yoga a handful of times in my life).

FWIW, I am at the last cycle of the 100 pushup program (wk. 6, 3rd column; have older version from years ago, so not sure if there are changes in the weekly reps). In this process, I have well gone over 6 weeks as I waited to move on until I was reasonably solid completing the full set with no breaks. Part of the reason the pushups are becoming stale and I seek something else. Curious from those also doing this how they have approached it. I am fairly sure I could do 100 without a break fresh...guess I should try that someday:)

Users who are viewing this thread