What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (16 Viewers)

Nothing really. Just what the gym has to offer.
Sorry I completely missed the part about the YMCA membership.  I thought you were exercising at home.  Any opportunity to work with a trainer?  At a minimum, they can get you on the right schedule.  If you're new to weights, I like the idea of 3x cardio and 2x weights.  

It’s a pass day. 
We have done this before. A couple good weeks of hard effort and high expectations and then you backslide.  I am not mad, I'm not disappointed, but I am concerned. 

Rowing almost every day, ypga almost every day, 15 days sober, drinking water while the wife drinks wine, passing on opportunities to drink with friends and family, eating vegetarian while the family eats meat... that's a lot of effort you have put in. Yesterday you ate desserts. Today you drank wine.  Neither of those things will end your diet, and neither of those things will undo all of the work you've put in the last two weeks.  It takes a long time to undo the weight you've gained over the last decade plus. It takes more than a day to undo the good you've done over the previous two weeks.  Its not the cheating that concerns me.  I'll admit I'm a little concerned that it was alcohol, because it seems like your and your wife's biggest challenge, but I think you did good by limiting yourselves in advance by only buying one bottle. Good choice. 

What concerns me is that you called this A pass day.  This isn't A pass day. This WAS youe pass day, and you have used it, and you don't take another next weekend because that is what ultimately derails you every time. 

I am not saying this like I'm some kind of authority figure or like I'm perfect. I'm not. I'm still losing weight because I put on too much to begin with. When you decided to give up alcohol, I agreed to join you as long as I could keep my 3 bottles of wine i have in my house. I am not perfect. Like really really not perfect.  Nowhere close.

I had two and a half pieces of large cheese pizza and a cookie brownie from domino's today because we went to my mom's in the boonies and they have no Covid-19 in the area. It's the second time I have gotten takeout in 5 months and my kid was ecstatic. So I splurged. And I had a big piece of salmon and some other healthy stuff. Total was almost 500 calories over my goal., but still under maintenance calories for the day.

But I thought about this thread and our deal here and I got on the treadmill after a long day of driving and banged out a couple miles running and a half hour of walking to end the day with 26 calories to spare. That's 16 days in a row under my calorie goal out of 65, 49 left to go.  That's what accountability is doing for me. Knowing I'm going to reportback to you. I am trying to be that for you. 

You had your cheat day, You're back. Tomorrow is day 17 and we are fully committed to eating well, exercising, and not drinking. I need you to be with me on this. LFG

I’m with you GB. TBH I didn’t even enjoy the wine. It was fine. But I didn’t love it and don’t want more. 

Today is going to be a day of perfect eating and exercise. Abs all around the globe will whimper in fear as they see the better abs coming.  

Let’s do this. No more dominos or wine or junk. I’d like a good super healthy push through Halloween. 

I’m with you GB. TBH I didn’t even enjoy the wine. It was fine. But I didn’t love it and don’t want more. 

Today is going to be a day of perfect eating and exercise. Abs all around the globe will whimper in fear as they see the better abs coming.  

Let’s do this. No more dominos or wine or junk. I’d like a good super healthy push through Halloween. 
There's my guy.

Pretty good weekend over here. 2 mile jog on Saturday plus finishing up week one of the pushup challenge. Sunday was a planned rest day as I could definitely feel like I needed it. Yesterday back with the 5K row + Ab Ripper X. Week 2 day 1 of the pushups. Weigh-in tomorrow - hopeful for sub 235. 

Welcome back from the long weekend everyone. I saw some people say they stayed on track, others may have indulged in the last weekend of summer, and others just mentioned that they like impossibly hard yoga. 

Great news, today's mission, should you choose to accept it, is impossibly hard yoga .  This is a full hour power vinyasa flow with no BS specifically for @DA RAIDERS (this is what you've been looking for) and @krista4 .  This is also good news for people who prefer yoga videos with dogs and/or abs.

If you don't have a full hour today, no worries. There's a challenging 30 minute flow too. 

This is a very different style without as much instruction.  Beginners who are still doing the original 30 days with Adriene are welcome to check this out but it might be difficult if you don't know the names of all the poses yet.  For folks who are a little further along, you'll notice that there's a few new poses and she doesn't tell you how to position yourself for each pose, so you'll have to look up more often.  These are also power vinyasa flows, so the emphasis is on movement and not spending time in each pose to get the full stretch.  Plan to sweat. 

Looking forward to feedback on this - I am planning to mix things up once in a while with some Adriene and some five parks and a couple others you might enjoy, and I want to keep a good mix so we can try different styles but do more of the ones people like best so please try this, even if you don't get to it this afternoon. 

🙏 

Been keeping up with the MFP and getting my daily walks in.  Hoping the majority of the remodel work will be done this week so I can start back with the yoga.  

Did the Chance for Hope 5K on Sunday, actually walked a total of 4.5 miles.  Probably my longest single hike to date.  

I also weighed in this weekend at 203.  Started the year at 236.  Weight loss has been really slow the last few weeks, but I'm plodding along.  Was wanting to be below 200 by time I went to the mountains for a week vacation later this month, but I can't see that happening now.  Maybe by the time I get back, as we plan to do lots of hiking.  

Keep it up!

Been keeping up with the MFP and getting my daily walks in.  Hoping the majority of the remodel work will be done this week so I can start back with the yoga.  

Did the Chance for Hope 5K on Sunday, actually walked a total of 4.5 miles.  Probably my longest single hike to date.  

I also weighed in this weekend at 203.  Started the year at 236.  Weight loss has been really slow the last few weeks, but I'm plodding along.  Was wanting to be below 200 by time I went to the mountains for a week vacation later this month, but I can't see that happening now.  Maybe by the time I get back, as we plan to do lots of hiking.  

Keep it up!
With the pandemic, a house remodel, and all the stress in 2020, it's a huge accomplishment to break even let alone lose an average of 4 lbs a month, start yoga and set personal bests on walking. 

Imo breaking through 200 sounds awesome, but as much as you want to get there before you go away, breaking into Onederland and going back over on vacation would take some of the fun out of it. Enjoy your vacation and come back strong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have we talked much about Intermittent Fasting (IF) in here?  

I've been only eating between 11:30 am and 7:30 pm for the last 6 weeks or so.  Basically doing a 16/8 IF.  I like it.  I also do most of my workouts before 1130am. 

I have been stopping eating before 8pm all year, so it wasn't too big of a change.  

Are others doing IF and noticing any benefit?

What does one do after a holiday weekend, after a day of snacking and alcohol for the first time in weeks?

Wake up the next morning and row an hour.  Spent.

I came up with a plan -- I'll try to row every day (or almost every day).  Some days I'll row longer, like a 10k or 1 hour, for distance, at lower intensity; other days I'll do asensei app workouts which tend to be shorter sometimes and more intense.  And I will alternative yoga and push-up days.  So, today is a push-up day, tomorrow I'll grab one of the yoga workouts fred has posted, etc.  Keep doing that; keep eating well; keep abstaining from the booze.  Boom.

Have we talked much about Intermittent Fasting (IF) in here?  

I've been only eating between 11:30 am and 7:30 pm for the last 6 weeks or so.  Basically doing a 16/8 IF.  I like it.  I also do most of my workouts before 1130am. 

I have been stopping eating before 8pm all year, so it wasn't too big of a change.  

Are others doing IF and noticing any benefit?
A little.  Intermittent fasting works really well for some people, and there is some science behind it. But the main thing is that it restricts calories, because all successful diets ultimately control calories in vs. calories out in some way, whether you are fasting or doing low carb or eating vegetarian or whatever.

Some people will benefit more from having rules, or from feeling more full at certain times of day, or not eating before trying to fall asleep, or from  avoiding certain trigger foods or alcohol, and there are definitely reasons to choose high satiety foods or high protein foods for weight loss and/or muscle building.  

I do CICO (calories in calories out) with myfitnesspal pretty much exclusively but i find myself gravitating towards having coffee for breakfast and then eating most of my food from 1130 to 730 like you do. There are also days I wake up hungry and eat like 5 or 6 meals at 3-400 calories each and exercise to burn them off.

What does one do after a holiday weekend, after a day of snacking and alcohol for the first time in weeks?

I came up with a plan -- I'll try to row every day (or almost every day).  Some days I'll row longer, like a 10k or 1 hour, for distance, at lower intensity; other days I'll do asensei app workouts which tend to be shorter sometimes and more intense.  And I will alternative yoga and push-up days.  So, today is a push-up day, tomorrow I'll grab one of the yoga workouts fred has posted, etc.  Keep doing that; keep eating well; keep abstaining from the booze.  Boom.
Lol

Is it because I called it "impossibly hard yoga"?

A little.  Intermittent fasting works really well for some people, and there is some science behind it. But the main thing is that it restricts calories, because all successful diets ultimately control calories in vs. calories out in some way, whether you are fasting or doing low carb or eating vegetarian or whatever.

Some people will benefit more from having rules, or from feeling more full at certain times of day, or not eating before trying to fall asleep, or from  avoiding certain trigger foods or alcohol, and there are definitely reasons to choose high satiety foods or high protein foods for weight loss and/or muscle building.  

I do CICO (calories in calories out) with myfitnesspal pretty much exclusively but i find myself gravitating towards having coffee for breakfast and then eating most of my food from 1130 to 730 like you do. There are also days I wake up hungry and eat like 5 or 6 meals at 3-400 calories each and exercise to burn them off.
Yeah, I still use MFP to track calories.  I've always been most successful just doing CICO, like you noted.  Eat less calories than you burn and lose weight. 

It's funny, but since we eat primarily at home and only buy healthy food (for the most part) I actually struggle getting all my calories a lot of days. 

I have noticed I see the best results by trying to stay within 200 or so calories of my daily goal, which includes eating most of my exercise calories as well (e.g. 1600 allotted calories + 500 exercise calories, I try to eat around 1900 calories). There's also been times when I force myself to eat some desert or a snack bar after dinner because I knew I didn't eat enough that day and would never make it the next morning w/out more calories.  

Not a great week but still lost 2. Need to focus a little more but need to add some excercise

Daughter lost zero but she want to lose 5-7 more 

Ok this is not as long, and @krista4 will skip to about 4 minutes in, but it's got some nice stretches, power moves and balancing. 

https://youtu.be/fzqOY_7xiyg

I have a longer and faster paced session queued up for tomorrow that will beat you up a little so don't despair if you're looking for a tough one today, just add on any of the yoga core videos. 
I did this one this morning.  It was pretty good; I enjoyed the standing splits-into-squat thing near the end.  We hadn't had standing splits in a while, so that was fun.  Also, she doesn't know how to pronounce "corset," but she did stop to observe Benji's slobber on the floor, so those balanced out.

I'll try to do the harder one later today.  Busy workday, though.

Eating a little much and having a couple of glasses of wine on Labor Day weekend means very little in the big picture as long as it is not repeated any time soon.   What you do for the next month after that day is what separates getting into shape, treading water, and getting fit.   It’s too easy to go back to the poor eating and drinking after you do it once.   

I had two beers Saturday and one on Sunday.   My streak is broken.   I’m not worried.   I started a new one yesterday.  We can do this   

Good luck.  

I did this one this morning.  It was pretty good; I enjoyed the standing splits-into-squat thing near the end.  We hadn't had standing splits in a while, so that was fun.  Also, she doesn't know how to pronounce "corset," but she did stop to observe Benji's slobber on the floor, so those balanced out.

I'll try to do the harder one later today.  Busy workday, though.
I just did the hard one.  And by "did", I mean did most of, but completely skipped 3 things, and i was drenched in sweat before I even got to them.  This was the hardest yet. The three I skipped included two poses I simply can't do, and at least one I'm not even sure what to do.  Good ####### luck. 

bostonfred said:
Lol

Is it because I called it "impossibly hard yoga"?
I'll admit the 1hour+ session lengths had me scratching my head.  I'm not sure I can reasonably make 2+ hours per day for exercise unless I give up my day job, or my wife, or my kids.  

Oh and because I'm not a total sadist, I'll pass this along - at one point she's like phew we're done. And I literally slipped in my own sweat about ten seconds before that so I was like oh thank goodness.  That's about 40 minutes into the video and she gets into the hard stuff after that. Real morale booster, this lady is. I also enjoyed when she was like come on don't cheat this is a power vinyasa flow you ##### you signed up for this. 

bostonfred said:
I just did the hard one.  And by "did", I mean did most of, but completely skipped 3 things, and i was drenched in sweat before I even got to them.  This was the hardest yet. The three I skipped included two poses I simply can't do, and at least one I'm not even sure what to do.  Good ####### luck. 
can't wait to do this!  sadly, gotta let my foot heal up some more.

I'm starting the pushup challenge today.  Because i was able to complete 30 good-form push-ups during my initial test,  they recommended that I start the program at Week 3.  However, I'm thinking of starting at week 2 because I'm going to need all the extra time in the world to ever complete 100 ####### push-ups straight!  

I'm starting the pushup challenge today.  Because i was able to complete 30 good-form push-ups during my initial test,  they recommended that I start the program at Week 3.  However, I'm thinking of starting at week 2 because I'm going to need all the extra time in the world to ever complete 100 ####### push-ups straight!  
If you're already at 30 you're doing awesome.  I just did my strength test after week 4 and i crashed on number 35. It says I'm supposed to go from the hardest week 4 to the easiest week 5. Not happening.  I might have to redo a week though.  

Oh and because I'm not a total sadist, I'll pass this along - at one point she's like phew we're done. And I literally slipped in my own sweat about ten seconds before that so I was like oh thank goodness.  That's about 40 minutes into the video and she gets into the hard stuff after that. Real morale booster, this lady is. I also enjoyed when she was like come on don't cheat this is a power vinyasa flow you ##### you signed up for this. 
Yoga✅ 

15k steps ✅

Under Weight Watcher Points ✅

snacks - NONE

Drove to a face to face meeting today which was nice, but 4 hours in the car made it tough to Get my steps in. I found a park with a nice path and knocked out the last 6,000 steps before dinner. 

The yoga was kind of “impossible”. I am pretty sure I could never do some of those poses (never mind trying them at 51 years old and overweight). I did my best though and finished drenched in sweat. 

I only had time for one meal today so I splurged and had an ice cold Dos Equis with my meal. Still way under points for the day. 

YO!!  WHERE'S ADRIENE?!?

I finished the "impossible yoga."  Wasn't really into it, though not because it was difficult (which it was), but because I don't think it fits my practice, nor probably that of most people here.  I liked some of the new poses, but without instruction as to what we're supposed to be doing, I don't feel like I got as much out of it as I would like.  One thing I love about the Adriene videos is that she tells you in some detail what you should be focused on with a pose - it seems like she is reading my mind all the time(!) when she'll say "don't scrunch your toes right now" or tells me something else I need to adjust.  This one assumed you know exactly where everything should be.

On the plus side, I did sweat, though not as much as from the jumping-jack one last week.  And like I said, some of the new poses were fun.  I had trouble keeping up sometimes, especially going from side planks to reverse planks and back, because I wanted to make sure I hit everything that I could (some were not going to be possible for me), so a few times I was a step behind and had to make it up.  It was interesting with the new stuff, but generally not what I'm looking for right now.

Just completed Day 1 of the push up challenge (starting at Week 2).  14, 14, 10, 10, 30 and felt pretty good.  However, it was only like a 6 minute workout lol so I still need to do about 30 minutes of cardio.  

I’m also in week 2 of the pushup challenge.  And I am already struggling to do the assigned reps.  Pretty sure I’ll have to be downgraded at the test after week 2, but I’m ok with that.  Not in any hurry.  Just following the formula.  

Rowing and yoga tomorrow.  

I’m also in week 2 of the pushup challenge.  And I am already struggling to do the assigned reps.  Pretty sure I’ll have to be downgraded at the test after week 2, but I’m ok with that.  Not in any hurry.  Just following the formula.  

Rowing and yoga tomorrow.  
Redo week 1. Who cares. Just do the pushups and watch the magic happen.

just got back from two days of camping and hiking and fishing i ate ok given that i was burning off a lot of calories every day and did not have any booze at all so i am proud of that did a 70 minute walk this morning just come cheerios and milk and im back on my game take that to the bank brohans 

The weather tried to keep me from walking, but things lightened up at lunch and I was able to go around my complex at an 18:40 pace and get only lightly soaked. Got back inside and lightning knocked out my power for a bit.  :oldunsure:

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Oh man, today went off the rails immediately.  Came downstairs to the dog in his crate having crapped all over the crate and himself and having rolled around in it all night.  Get to get him outside and hosed and washed, crate all cleaned, 3 girls ready for school, all in a mad scramble.  Then work fired up and didn’t relent.  

The good and the bad:

I’ll start with the bad.  Mrs. O looked Iike a defeated shell of her former self, and rummaged through the basement to find a bottle of champagne.  Since we don’t keep wine in the house, and it was a moment of desperation, it was the best she could do.  Without consulting me we just exchanged sad banana glances and she poured one for me.  So, I drank a champagne.  Oh and I never got to yoga.  And now it’s after 7 and I’m toast for the day. 

The good: I managed to row a 5k in a break in the morning, and ate incredibly well.  Like, some melon and some avocado toast for breakfast and a salad at lunch.  In fact I’m still kind of starving and am about to go in and rummage for something healthy as I don’t think I had dinner.  So, from a net calorie perspective I’ve done great, and from an exercise perspective I did pretty OK.

Next week the kids will be in full time school and Mrs. O’s days (and mine) will free up a whole bunch more, and then we’ll be in a zone. And if she’s in a zone I’ll be in a better zone.  Frankly if I repeated today for 3 months I’d be in killer shape, so it’s not like a total failure.  But it wasn’t perfection.  Which is what my abs are screaming for right now.

So, back at it tomorrow.  Thursday and Friday work days should open up substantially and allow me double workouts those days, so we’ll get her done.  Alcohol creep is a concern for sure, and I’ll need to keep a careful eye on that.  But here we are.  Humans doing human stuff.

Onwards to tomorrow.  

Oh man.  Now you’re asking big questions I can’t answer. 
I think you need to do something like ‘if I drink I have to send @bostonfred $500 bucks’. And then when mrs. @Otis says let’s have a drink you can’t because of your internet bet. It’s dumb, but back when we were going for ‘how many meters can we row’ it was easy to tell the wife ‘sorry gotta go beat Otis from the internet, be back upstairs in an hour’. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I think you need to do something like ‘if I drink I have to send @bostonfred $500 bucks’. And then when mrs. @Otis says let’s have a drink you can’t because of your internet bet. It’s dumb, but back when we were going for ‘how many meters can we row’ it was easy to tell the wife ‘sorry gotta go beat Otis from the internet, be back upstairs in an hour’. 
Oh the thought had crossed my mind, when Mrs. O is handing me a drink, to be like “AZcards37 from the Internet is gonna be pretty pissed at me for this.”  o_O

Oh man.  Now you’re asking big questions I can’t answer. 
This isn't that hard.  There's a simple answer. You didn't drink because the dog #### itself. You didn't drink because your wife poured you a glass of champagne. You didn't drink because work was hard.  You didn't drink on Labor day because it was a holiday. You always have a story when you drink, or when you skip exercise, or when you go off the rails on your diet, but it's the wrong story. 

You drank because at that moment, you wanted to drink more than you wanted your goal. 

You had people over at your house drinking Saturday night and your wife got #### faced Sunday night. You didn't. Because you wanted your goal more than you wanted to drink. You were interested in your goal and you were thinking about being 220 by Halloween and maybe even 200 by new year's and you were excited enough to turn down alcohol and drink water all day. 

The hard question is what changed?   

Here's a famous actor explaining what happened

You are very good at short term goals.  you can row an hour and eat a can of tuna and an apple, or eat nothing but melon and avocado toast and a salad and forget dinner.  You have the willpower to do this for days. 

As soon as you have visible success, though, you change mindset completely.  You are no longer doing it, you have done it. And victory defeats you time and time again. 

You have worked really hard today. You had a ####ty day, literally and figuratively. You worked hard and didn't eat anything you wanted. And it all got derailed with one bad decision. 

You worked really hard for the last 3 weeks.  Then you had desserts, and drinks, and drank again tonight. And you risk undoing all that work, for a day like today, that you didn't even enjoy yourself. 

What a waste of all that work it would be if you backslide now. And it is happening.  You are currently failing.  

But it doesn't have to be that way. Today you can finish strong, avoid the cookies and comfort foods and have some fuel and nothing else. Tomorrow you can start over., with 7 weeks to go, and commit to the idea that the hard part isn't eating a good breakfast, but staying on target all day, every day.  It's not working out harder today.  It's working out consistently until you hit your goal. It's not skipping one drink.  It's stopping drinking for 7 more weeks. 

And that was something you said you could do. Because the weekends are the hard part.  Weekdays are easy. Do you remember saying that?  Because that was the exact moment you failed.  When you decided it was easy, you no longer took it seriously enough to handle the first challenge and it happened the very next day. 

Bro. You are better than this.  When you want to be. But you have to want to be.  You have to be honest with yourself and see these failures as what they are - the learning experiences that helped you to finally do this because you want this enough to sacrifice day after day until you get where you're going, and to want to tell us that you made it through another difficult day more than you want that drink and another excuse and another lecture. 

7 more weeks, and then you can tap the brakes.  Not until.  You have done a great job for nearly 3 weeks but you haven't accomplished anything yet. Not until you see it through. And learning to see it through will pay dividends in your whole life.  Do this with me. 

Otis, how soon before you completely run out of alcohol?  When that happens, is Mrs. O likely to just go buy more?
I mean we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of wine. I think the champagne she found is the last of it. We have a couple fridges full of beer but don’t usually touch that. I have a pretty stocked liquor cabinet with probably 6 or 8 bottles of scotch, which would probably be my next go to. Also have vodka and gin and all sorts of other stuff in there. 

But it’s the wine that has caused the trouble in the past decade. So not having any more of that is good. 

I mean we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of wine. I think the champagne she found is the last of it. We have a couple fridges full of beer but don’t usually touch that. I have a pretty stocked liquor cabinet with probably 6 or 8 bottles of scotch, which would probably be my next go to. Also have vodka and gin and all sorts of other stuff in there. 

But it’s the wine that has caused the trouble in the past decade. So not having any more of that is good. 
It seems like you're a new man but you're occasionally sidetracked by your wife.  If she's not inclined to drink liquor or beer, I bet you'll do fine.  In the grand scheme of things, you had 1 glass of champagne (after a ####ty day) and ate great.  That's better than like probably 80% of people out there.  But you did commit to something and you've now slipped 2 times in less than a week.  I don't think it will become a trend because it seems like you're legitimately changing.  Just be careful. 

Having a bad day after 15 or 20 good days happens.  You can’t string bad days together though.  Ever.  That is the habit that must be broken.  I love hearing the stories because we all go through it,   Dogs crap.  Stuff breaks.  Wives.   Well.   Wives.  But the stories don’t have to end with booze.   

Today I stop drinking.  Committed. 

May also try vegetarian for a bit, but at a minimum plan to eat clean and well. 

Otis same thing with the booze, I might get in trouble a bit with one friend who likes to zoom happy hour but I'll join you if you're serious about this. 
Here's the truth. 

Before this lecturey exchange, I had actually looked at the 3 bottles of wine in my house and thought to myself, it wasn't even my idea to quit drinking, I just did it because Otis said he would and I offered to do it with him.  And I didn't promise to quit, I promised not to buy any more until my birthday. 

My knee was bothering me over the weekend and my drinking buddy is back from a vacation and it's football season starting tomorrow. I stayed sober for my fantasy drafts, didn't drink over labor day weekend, and haven't been that tempted yet, but I honestly thought, hey, otis got a cheat day, I can take a cheat day, it's fine.  

But I'm in here doing this with someone else. I'm accountable not just to myself but to be the example. So I had a salad for dinner and a skyr yogurt thing as a dessert, finished under my calorie goal and am having some water before bed. 

18 days in the books, all of them under my calorie goal, no alcohol. 47 to go. 

Yoga✅ 

15k steps 

Under Weight Watcher Points ✅

snacks - Peanut butter banana smoothie, cheese, cashews

I started the day waking up in a hotel with a locked gym so I couldn’t get a morning walk in (I just didn’t feel safe walking in the dark in the area I was in). Went to meetings for a few hours, spent a few hours in the car and then more meetings when I got home. Overall a very busy day, but squeezed in yoga and a 90 minute walk before the rain set in this evening. 

I ended up only walking 12,000 steps but it was just one of those days.

Users who are viewing this thread