Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread — Now with less fad diet! And less bfred! (he’s losing weight)

On 9/2/2020 at 7:52 AM, bostonfred said:

https://youtu.be/P8uHMMmWMHQ

Today's another full body flow called Yoga Joy, a little more challenging than yesterday's Yoga Kiss and without as much buildup. It's a vinyasa flow so you will recognize a lot of the early moves, then there are some balance poses and a goofball arm spinny thing at the end I'm not too sure about but it could be good I don't know. I'm going to do my run first and then get to this later today, will post my thoughts then. 

• Like 2

Wife's 41st bday today so I'm on kid duty all day.  Going to slip in an hour long body combat and get my mind ready for the pushup challenge starting tomorrow.  

Went for a 2.4 mile hike today.  Almost bit off more than I could handle.  Place I just found but had never been to.  The trail I took was a 3 mile loop.  Did about 1.2 and turned around.  Turned out to be a little warmer than I thought.  Back started tightening up on the way back but I made it.  According to my Fitbit 2.43 miles in 59 minutes.

My new lady friend says she’d like to try it. Extra incentive!!!!  I need all the help I can get to boost my GAF!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Jumping on Peleton. Walked the dog early but nothing outside for the next few days. Never seen heat like this in CA. Had a 7am tee time yesterday. Done by 11am. Still thought I was going to get heat stroke the last 4 holes.

It was 104 at 9:30am today. 
Good day for Peleton, a couple quick cannonballs in the cement pond, yoga, AC and watching golf

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

https://youtu.be/P8uHMMmWMHQ

Today's another full body flow called Yoga Joy, a little more challenging than yesterday's Yoga Kiss and without as much buildup. It's a vinyasa flow so you will recognize a lot of the early moves, then there are some balance poses and a goofball arm spinny thing at the end I'm not too sure about but it could be good I don't know. I'm going to do my run first and then get to this later today, will post my thoughts then. 

Definitely better than yesterday's.  I liked all the balance poses near the end because I'm a lot better at them than I once was!

Going to do the difficult one later this afternoon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Otis said:

We can definitely do 220 by Halloween.  Should be a bit below that by then. Man that would feel good!

Come to think of it, no reason we can’t be below 220 by Halloween, and like 210 at Thanksgiving. Hell, could be near 200 by Christmas!  That would just feel so fantastic. Motivating to think about, as these milestones really aren’t far off at all. 

I like being aggressive, but anything over 1 lb / week is setting myself up for failure, especially around the holidays. I will hit 220 (hopefully by Halloween) and go from there. 

I will be rooting for you to hit 200 by Christmas and I will try to ride your wake and stay close. 

• Love 1

another shout out to @bostonfred!!  and to the rest of y'all as well.  wasn't feeling it today.  but, read the thread, and was inspired.

i hurt my foot doing those stupid jumping jacks on thursday :bag:  man! aging sux0rs.  :lmao:  had to shut it down fri and sat.  foot still hurts, but is manageable.  

i did today's yoga.  easy.  so i added some boat and this quick session  i'm thinking that something like this, everyday, might make a big difference.  i only focus on abs, maybe once every 10 days.  

i also did that pushup series 29, 33, 29, 29, 40.  not too shabby.  i took 3 minutes between each set, knocked them all out.  keep posting these, if you don't mind.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Jumping on Peleton. Walked the dog early but nothing outside for the next few days. Never seen heat like this in CA. Had a 7am tee time yesterday. Done by 11am. Still thought I was going to get heat stroke the last 4 holes.

It was 104 at 9:30am today. 
Good day for Peleton, a couple quick cannonballs in the cement pond, yoga, AC and watching golf

i'm pretty sure, this is a record heat for us.  108.  it was 96, in laguna, at the beach.  that's rare.

4 hours ago, krista4 said:

Definitely better than yesterday's.  I liked all the balance poses near the end because I'm a lot better at them than I once was!

Going to do the difficult one later this afternoon.

Just finished the difficult one, which was...not difficult?  I definitely sweated, but nothing ever seemed hard, unless you count that I fell off balance on the left leg "dancer" pose.  Are you guys able to do those with no problem?  I liked this one a lot a lot; moar like that, please.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, The Flying Turtle said:

Did well this week starting Weight Watcher again and initially it was tough cutting out the junk, but after a week it is getting easier.  I am trying the Purple plan but I am skeptical of the additional carbs allowed.  I may go back to the blue if this doesn't show the desired results.

Also walk / ran every day for 40-60 minutes.  Trying to adhere to the MAF plan that has been explained in here and that allows me to go longer than in the past.  I am anxious to see if my speed improves in the long run.

Starting Weight 1/1 - 257

Current Weight - 254

Even though I hit 252 at one point I am happy with losing 3 pounds to kick off the new year.

Dude I think you have earned all of our respect doing this the right way, slow and steady like your name suggests.  Keep up the good work. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Just finished the difficult one, which was...not difficult?  I definitely sweated, but nothing ever seemed hard, unless you count that I fell off balance on the left leg "dancer" pose.  Are you guys able to do those with no problem?  I liked this one a lot a lot; moar like that, please.

It wasn't that the poses were difficult, it was just the most I've sweated during an Adriene video, and those leg squats were tough. I think I messed up my knee doing it, because I didn't really do anything else unusual this weekend. I did get a good run in today and didn't tweak it but I am being cautious the rest of the way. 

I'm either proud or ashamed to admit I'm good at dancer.  I think I could have gotten my foot as high as she does if I'd really pushed but I did not want to overdo it. I am pretty good with balance poses when I'm not on a yoga mat on squishy carpet.  This feels like the kind of thing where the loser of the otis thread fantasy football league has to send a photo of the yoga pose of the winner's choice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, krista4 said:

it was hard as a whole.  i am really working on each pose and pushing myself to my limits.  flexibility and my knees are an issue.  they make some poses hard. stupid cow legs, for example. i am really focused on core strength and attempt to only use legs and core on all the standing bendy poses.  that humble warrior, with your hands clasped behind, is very hard.  i'm really focussing on getting my front leg, parallel to the ground.  

but i agree, more like that one.  no jumping jacks though.  :bag: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

It wasn't that the poses were difficult, it was just the most I've sweated during an Adriene video, and those leg squats were tough. I think I messed up my knee doing it, because I didn't really do anything else unusual this weekend. I did get a good run in today and didn't tweak it but I am being cautious the rest of the way. 

I'm either proud or ashamed to admit I'm good at dancer.  I think I could have gotten my foot as high as she does if I'd really pushed but I did not want to overdo it. I am pretty good with balance poses when I'm not on a yoga mat on squishy carpet.  This feels like the kind of thing where the loser of the otis thread fantasy football league has to send a photo of the yoga pose of the winner's choice. 

:lol: at the bold.

Yeah, I sweated.  And I laughed out loud when we started on the first set of squats/jumping jacks, and she said, "now we're going to get your heart pumping," as my heart was already bursting out of my chest.

1 minute ago, DA RAIDERS said:

it was hard as a whole.  i am really working on each pose and pushing myself to my limits.  flexibility and my knees are an issue.  they make some poses hard. stupid cow legs, for example. i am really focused on core strength and attempt to only use legs and core on all the standing bendy poses.  that humble warrior, with your hands clasped behind, is very hard.  i'm really focussing on getting my front leg, parallel to the ground.  

but i agree, more like that one.  no jumping jacks though.  :bag: 

I'm in agreement on no jumping jacks.  I wish I'd known those were coming, as I would have worn a better bra.  :( 

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

another shout out to @bostonfred!!  and to the rest of y'all as well.  wasn't feeling it today.  but, read the thread, and was inspired.

i hurt my foot doing those stupid jumping jacks on thursday :bag:  man! aging sux0rs.  :lmao:  had to shut it down fri and sat.  foot still hurts, but is manageable.  

i did today's yoga.  easy.  so i added some boat and this quick session  i'm thinking that something like this, everyday, might make a big difference.  i only focus on abs, maybe once every 10 days.  

i also did that pushup series 29, 33, 29, 29, 40.  not too shabby.  i took 3 minutes between each set, knocked them all out.  keep posting these, if you don't mind.

@bostonfred  is a savior.  Just look at Otis's transformation.  This thread has become inspirational for me.  At 42, I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Well a mixed day to report. Big Labor Day family BBQ at the O Parents place. Everyone else drinking and Mrs O totally sloshed right now. Otis drank water. I was very close to giving myself a pass and having a scotch with the cigar I was smoking. But I just stayed water. 
on the negative side I had a couple desserts. So I didn’t end up eating great today and no exercise except for 100 month pushups and walking the dog. But I didn’t drink. And for that I’m at least a little proud. 

One more day of Labor Day weekend to go.  Kids back in school this week. Morning routine will be hectic but lots more freedom during the days to stay back on it hard.  Good run from now to Halloween is the next big test. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Well a mixed day to report. Big Labor Day family BBQ at the O Parents place. Everyone else drinking and Mrs O totally sloshed right now. Otis drank water. I was very close to giving myself a pass and having a scotch with the cigar I was smoking. But I just stayed water. 
on the negative side I had a couple desserts. So I didn’t end up eating great today and no exercise except for 100 month pushups and walking the dog. But I didn’t drink. And for that I’m at least a little proud. 

One more day of Labor Day weekend to go.  Kids back in school this week. Morning routine will be hectic but lots more freedom during the days to stay back on it hard.  Good run from now to Halloween is the next big test. 

Who cares about a few occasional desserts?  You’ve earned it.  The fact that you’ve managed to stay off the booze is very, very impressive.  I wish I had your will power TBH.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i'm pretty sure, this is a record heat for us.  108.  it was 96, in laguna, at the beach.  that's rare.

It was 121 today somewhere in LA, which is a record for all of LA ... if I understood the blurb I saw correctly.

• Sad 1

On 9/3/2020 at 10:22 PM, bostonfred said:

Bump for all the runners. I know the 10k thread is doing this but if any of you want to do a fun run, zoom, watch a real actual football game on the treadmill, whatever... let's do something for a great cause and a good friend. 

Just signed up for the 5K.  Will try to knock it out next Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

@bostonfred  is a savior.  Just look at Otis's transformation.  This thread has become inspirational for me.  At 42, I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life.  

as my 9th grader would say...  facts, on FACTS!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Who cares about a few occasional desserts?  You’ve earned it.  The fact that you’ve managed to stay off the booze is very, very impressive.  I wish I had your will power TBH.

Fantastic post.  I was worried about you, Oats, for taking on too much at a time:  no booze, mostly vegetarian, all the various workouts.  I think it's great for you to find a little balance.  You had some dessert, but you stuck with the no booze and otherwise ate well.  You've been rocking the workouts.  It's really OK to let yourself enjoy something now and then.  +1 to being totally impressed with what you've been doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Fantastic post.  I was worried about you, Oats, for taking on too much at a time:  no booze, mostly vegetarian, all the various workouts.  I think it's great for you to find a little balance.  You had some dessert, but you stuck with the no booze and otherwise ate well.  You've been rocking the workouts.  It's really OK to let yourself enjoy something now and then.  +1 to being totally impressed with what you've been doing.

@Otis

this times a million

keep it up dude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yoga

15k steps 

Under Weight Watcher Points 

Snacks - grapes

i didn’t get to the yoga because we went on a 5 mile hike in the mountains.  I  finished the day with 22k steps. 

I did great eating even with a big temptation. We ate lunch at a nice little Mexican restaurant with a great beer selection. I ate a few grilled chicken and fish soft tacos and only a few chips. I stayed with water instead of one of the delicious brews. Big salad and grilled chicken for dinner - no real time to snack.

When considering the beer the 1st thing I thought of was “ if @Otis is going dry this weekend, I can too”. I guess peer pressure can be a good thing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Ok this is not as long, and @krista4 will skip to about 4 minutes in, but it's got some nice stretches, power moves and balancing. 

https://youtu.be/fzqOY_7xiyg

I have a longer and faster paced session queued up for tomorrow that will beat you up a little so don't despair if you're looking for a tough one today, just add on any of the yoga core videos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

Ok this is not as long, and @krista4 will skip to about 4 minutes in, but it's got some nice stretches, power moves and balancing. 

https://youtu.be/fzqOY_7xiyg

I have a longer and faster paced session queued up for tomorrow that will beat you up a little so don't despair if you're looking for a tough one today, just add on any of the yoga core videos. 

Shorter ones are still welcomed, too.  Mixing it up is perfect.

• Love 1

I forget who mentioned it but doing an intense workout first thing in the morning after a shameful night of heavy drinking is a great idea.

• Laughing 1

I had a nice, long walk today. Long enough that I really don't have to do the yoga. Probably will, though. Good job over the holiday everybody!

• Like 1

Apple Watch - check 

EBT card for fresh veggies and fruit - check

YMCA membership- check

started doing yoga w Adrienne 

i got off my 30 year old fat ### in the month of August  and did something about being closely obese. 

Edited by wazoo11
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

Apple Watch - check 

YMCA membership- check

i got off my 30 year old fat ### in the month of August  and did something about being closely obese. 

Do it now, while you're still making testosterone. It gets muuuuuch harder later.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

Apple Watch - check 

YMCA membership- check

Giddyup.  As a former 30 year old myself I feel qualified* to say that you'll be glad you did. I have had my best success tracking calories in the myfitnesspal app and cutting alcohol way back but everyone is different. If you're comfortable sharing your experiences in here, we've all picked things up from each other and the more the better. No better time for self improvement than when you're already having your day to day life impacted by this pandemic. 

* I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program. 

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 2

It’s a pass day. A little wine tonight (I just bought a single bottle....cant remember the last time I did that) with the Mrs to celebrate end of summer. Not gonna sweat it. It’s a big milestone for the kids going back to school tomorrow for the first time since March. Bittersweet end to a real roller coaster. 

Feeling good about the last several weeks and feel they are repeatable. The challenge will be fitting in the rowing, which I think is the most important of my exercises for me, the yoga, which has really grown on me and it’s nice not to groan every time I bend over to put on my shoes, and the Fred million push-up thing. But we’ll sort it out. Back at it tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, wazoo11 said:

Apple Watch - check 

YMCA membership- check

I’ll echo what these other dudes said. I wish I started taking this stuff seriously at 30. You’re primed and ready for it. Git er done!

• Like 3

Oh yeah I remember that I start that insane push-up challenge tomorrow.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Otis said:

I’ll echo what these other dudes said. I wish I started taking this stuff seriously at 30. You’re primed and ready for it. Git er done!

I’ve never really lifted before. Where should I start? (Ie I plan 3X days cardio, 2X lifting)

• Like 1

I also am teaching myself how to swim too

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wazoo11 said:

I’ve never really lifted before. Where should I start? (Ie I plan 3X days cardio, 2X lifting)

What equipment do you have?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wazoo11 said:

Apple Watch - check 

YMCA membership- check

Glad to have your join our little group. Start with simple good habits and then add more as you get comfortable. Also set small, realistic weight loss goals. 

I think a lot of people start too drastically and/or set goals that are too difficult and end up failing. 

Or you can just do whatever @bostonfredsays and you will succeed. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Otis said:

It’s a pass day. A little wine tonight (I just bought a single bottle....cant remember the last time I did that) with the Mrs to celebrate end of summer. Not gonna sweat it. It’s a big milestone for the kids going back to school tomorrow for the first time since March. Bittersweet end to a real roller coaster. 

Feeling good about the last several weeks and feel they are repeatable. The challenge will be fitting in the rowing, which I think is the most important of my exercises for me, the yoga, which has really grown on me and it’s nice not to groan every time I bend over to put on my shoes, and the Fred million push-up thing. But we’ll sort it out. Back at it tomorrow. 

Just don’t make this a habit.  You committed to this with Fred.  I’m more afraid of disappointing Fred than anything else lol.

• Like 1

Yoga  Good one today!

15k steps 

Snacks - grapes, sugar-free pudding, Alice of turkey

I bbq’d for the family and really wanted a beer, but since I knew Otis wasn’t drinking stuck with iced tea. I didn’t want anyone to think I couldn’t make it 3 days without a drink. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

What equipment do you have?

Nothing really. Just what the gym has to offer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

Yoga  Good one today!

15k steps 

Snacks - grapes, sugar-free pudding, Alice of turkey

I bbq’d for the family and really wanted a beer, but since I knew Otis wasn’t drinking stuck with iced tea. I didn’t want anyone to think I couldn’t make it 3 days without a drink. 

I somehow got in 14,000 steps and didn't leave my house today.  We did have our next door neighbors over for a BBQ and I jumped on the trampoline with my 4 year old (along with an hour long body combat in the morning) but that usually doesn't get me anywhere close to 10,000 steps.  

1 minute ago, wazoo11 said:

Nothing really. Just what the gym has to offer.

Sorry I completely missed the part about the YMCA membership.  I thought you were exercising at home.  Any opportunity to work with a trainer?  At a minimum, they can get you on the right schedule.  If you're new to weights, I like the idea of 3x cardio and 2x weights.  

1 hour ago, Otis said:

It’s a pass day. 

We have done this before. A couple good weeks of hard effort and high expectations and then you backslide.  I am not mad, I'm not disappointed, but I am concerned. 

Rowing almost every day, ypga almost every day, 15 days sober, drinking water while the wife drinks wine, passing on opportunities to drink with friends and family, eating vegetarian while the family eats meat... that's a lot of effort you have put in. Yesterday you ate desserts. Today you drank wine.  Neither of those things will end your diet, and neither of those things will undo all of the work you've put in the last two weeks.  It takes a long time to undo the weight you've gained over the last decade plus. It takes more than a day to undo the good you've done over the previous two weeks.  Its not the cheating that concerns me.  I'll admit I'm a little concerned that it was alcohol, because it seems like your and your wife's biggest challenge, but I think you did good by limiting yourselves in advance by only buying one bottle. Good choice. 

What concerns me is that you called this A pass day.  This isn't A pass day. This WAS youe pass day, and you have used it, and you don't take another next weekend because that is what ultimately derails you every time. 

I am not saying this like I'm some kind of authority figure or like I'm perfect. I'm not. I'm still losing weight because I put on too much to begin with. When you decided to give up alcohol, I agreed to join you as long as I could keep my 3 bottles of wine i have in my house. I am not perfect. Like really really not perfect.  Nowhere close.

I had two and a half pieces of large cheese pizza and a cookie brownie from domino's today because we went to my mom's in the boonies and they have no Covid-19 in the area. It's the second time I have gotten takeout in 5 months and my kid was ecstatic. So I splurged. And I had a big piece of salmon and some other healthy stuff. Total was almost 500 calories over my goal., but still under maintenance calories for the day.

But I thought about this thread and our deal here and I got on the treadmill after a long day of driving and banged out a couple miles running and a half hour of walking to end the day with 26 calories to spare. That's 16 days in a row under my calorie goal out of 65, 49 left to go.  That's what accountability is doing for me. Knowing I'm going to reportback to you. I am trying to be that for you. 

You had your cheat day, You're back. Tomorrow is day 17 and we are fully committed to eating well, exercising, and not drinking. I need you to be with me on this. LFG

• Like 4

I’m with you GB. TBH I didn’t even enjoy the wine. It was fine. But I didn’t love it and don’t want more. 

Today is going to be a day of perfect eating and exercise. Abs all around the globe will whimper in fear as they see the better abs coming.  

Let’s do this. No more dominos or wine or junk. I’d like a good super healthy push through Halloween. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I’m with you GB. TBH I didn’t even enjoy the wine. It was fine. But I didn’t love it and don’t want more. 

Today is going to be a day of perfect eating and exercise. Abs all around the globe will whimper in fear as they see the better abs coming.  

Let’s do this. No more dominos or wine or junk. I’d like a good super healthy push through Halloween. 

There's my guy.

• Like 1

Pretty good weekend over here. 2 mile jog on Saturday plus finishing up week one of the pushup challenge. Sunday was a planned rest day as I could definitely feel like I needed it. Yesterday back with the 5K row + Ab Ripper X. Week 2 day 1 of the pushups. Weigh-in tomorrow - hopeful for sub 235. 

• Like 3

On 9/2/2020 at 7:52 AM, bostonfred said:

Welcome back from the long weekend everyone. I saw some people say they stayed on track, others may have indulged in the last weekend of summer, and others just mentioned that they like impossibly hard yoga. 

Great news, today's mission, should you choose to accept it, is impossibly hard yoga .  This is a full hour power vinyasa flow with no BS specifically for @DA RAIDERS (this is what you've been looking for) and @krista4 .  This is also good news for people who prefer yoga videos with dogs and/or abs.

If you don't have a full hour today, no worries. There's a challenging 30 minute flow too. 

This is a very different style without as much instruction.  Beginners who are still doing the original 30 days with Adriene are welcome to check this out but it might be difficult if you don't know the names of all the poses yet.  For folks who are a little further along, you'll notice that there's a few new poses and she doesn't tell you how to position yourself for each pose, so you'll have to look up more often.  These are also power vinyasa flows, so the emphasis is on movement and not spending time in each pose to get the full stretch.  Plan to sweat. 

Looking forward to feedback on this - I am planning to mix things up once in a while with some Adriene and some five parks and a couple others you might enjoy, and I want to keep a good mix so we can try different styles but do more of the ones people like best so please try this, even if you don't get to it this afternoon. 

🙏 

• Like 2

Been keeping up with the MFP and getting my daily walks in.  Hoping the majority of the remodel work will be done this week so I can start back with the yoga.  

Did the Chance for Hope 5K on Sunday, actually walked a total of 4.5 miles.  Probably my longest single hike to date.  

I also weighed in this weekend at 203.  Started the year at 236.  Weight loss has been really slow the last few weeks, but I'm plodding along.  Was wanting to be below 200 by time I went to the mountains for a week vacation later this month, but I can't see that happening now.  Maybe by the time I get back, as we plan to do lots of hiking.  

Keep it up!

• Like 4