What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

Rowed 30 mins. Bike ride with O eldest daughter. 

At least she and I are going to do the Chance for Hope fun run.  Thought about doing it tomorrow but I keep delaying registration—I’ll do that tonight and we’ll maybe run it next weekend. I’m pretty sure Okid can’t run a 5k, and I’m certain I can’t right now, but we’ll do a mix of jogging and walking. 

Just gotta stay active. Mrs. O assures me she’s getting back on the wagon with me Monday, so perhaps I’ll get another couple alcohol free weeks. Those are such a nice boost. Fingers crossed. 

I’m not able to do anything until our air quality improves.  Even indoors, everyone is getting sick, including me.  I’m sluggish with huge sinus issues and headaches.  There’s no way adequately to describe how bad the air is right now.  It’s like nighttime all day.

I’m not able to do anything until our air quality improves.  Even indoors, everyone is getting sick, including me.  I’m sluggish with huge sinus issues and headaches.  There’s no way adequately to describe how bad the air is right now.  It’s like nighttime all day.
On the plus side, in addition to refraining from “strenuous activity,” we’ve been told to avoid vacuuming and most cooking, so I’m on board with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hundredpushups.com week 5 day 2 :

19 check no problems. 60 seconds rest

19 check no problem again. 60 seconds rest

22 check still pretty easy but I'm feeling it. I'll take 90 seconds rest

22 check the extra rest helped.  Only 18 next time.  Illmcut back to 75 seconds rest

18 check but holy cow my arms. Let's bump that back up to 90 seconds. 

18 check and yeah I'm not doing 22 again in 90 seconds see you in 2 min.

22 check yes I needed the 2 minutes rest and my form is getting a little soggy but I did it. There is literally zero chance that I complete 45 nonstop even with extra rest but I'm going to take a few minutes and then try.  In the meantime I'm putting my hand on my pec and flexing because it feels neat. This is probably what people with muscle tone feel.  Took almost 5 minutes rest. 

45 I was able to get through 32. I did not think that was possible.  Stopped for about 5 seconds and got right back up and finished.  That’s amazing, even with the extra rest. And I think I stopped more because of the cardio than my arms being wiped.  I just didnt want to slow down because I couldn't believe I was still going. I was like the idiot kid that drives fast to the gas station because his needle is on E. But f yeah l will take it. 

That sounds awful. Is it safe to stay? If you need a place I'm sure any of us would be happy to help although my place might be a bit of a hike for you

That sounds awful. Is it safe to stay? If you need a place I'm sure any of us would be happy to help although my place might be a bit of a hike for you
There aren’t any actual fires that close to me, or at least last I knew.  There are so many it’s hard to keep up.  But the closest is maybe 45 minutes away, so not that close.  The winds have just been carrying the smoke and ash. Air quality index has gone up into the 200s (“very unhealthy “) with places to the east up into the 400s.  Nowhere to get away from it.  Just hoping some rain will come - there is a chance of it on Tuesday.

That is awful. Hang in there GB. Is there any relief in sight?

That is awful. Hang in there GB. Is there any relief in sight?
I don’t know...Tuesday has a 40% chance of rain, which is the best hope for the next week.  We had a trace of rain once in July, zero inches in August, and zero so far in September.  It’s typical to get very little here at this time of year, but it’s been extreme, with much higher than average temps, too.

There aren’t any actual fires that close to me, or at least last I knew.  There are so many it’s hard to keep up.  But the closest is maybe 45 minutes away, so not that close.  The winds have just been carrying the smoke and ash. Air quality index has gone up into the 200s (“very unhealthy “) with places to the east up into the 400s.  Nowhere to get away from it.  Just hoping some rain will come - there is a chance of it on Tuesday.
Our friends in Bend aren’t near the fires, but are still leaving the state for a few weeks because the smoke is too bad. Are you working remotely?  If so, is a temporary relocation possible?

Stay safe Krista and please keep us updated.  As bostonfred said, we are here to help in any way that you need.

Finished yesterday with 6 calories to spare, and today with 12.  No alcohol, but i did eat some junk, and I took another day off running to let my knee get better, so it's not all good.  Watching football on the treadmill tomorrow and on 20 of the next 44 days should help. 

21 down. 44 to go. 

bigbottom said:
Our friends in Bend aren’t near the fires, but are still leaving the state for a few weeks because the smoke is too bad. Are you working remotely?  If so, is a temporary relocation possible?

fred_1_15301 said:
Stay safe Krista and please keep us updated.  As bostonfred said, we are here to help in any way that you need.
Thanks, dear people.  I guess relocating for a while is possible, as I do work from home.  It would just take a very long drive to get anywhere better, and it would be through even worse areas first.  I have friends who went east today but they had to go through the worst of it for several hours to get to cleaner air.  We'll see how it goes.  I have a vacation allegedly starting in 10 days at the Oregon coast, which usually would mean fresher air, but it's bad there right now, too.  It's a good idea to think about relocation and keep ideas churning, so I appreciate the thought.

Apparently terrible air makes people want chili, because I had chili on my mind all day, and then ex-mr-krista texted asking if he should cook some chili when he comes my way tomorrow, and then my mom emailed and said she fixed chili today.  WTF?  Must be the smoke.  :lol:  

Yesterday was the first league soccer game for my son and it was over 2 hours away so I didn’t have time for yoga or evening walk (12,000 for the day). The best way to spend a Saturday is watching my kids play. I ate below plan with a couple of light beers for dinner. 

By the way, the game was a 3-2 win and he scored the game winner. 

Today’s project and revelation:

On Sunday’s I have enjoyed sitting around and watching NFL and usually drinking beer and eating some good food. Sometimes for many hours. I’ve recently been trying to watch Netflix on my phone while I row. It works pretty well and makes the time fly by, but the phone is small and my eyes aren’t great. So, today I will go to Home Depot and build a stand for over my erg.  I could drop my IPad on there or better yet I may even go and get a small TV to put on top. NFL Sundays don’t have to be all slovenly.  I could easily pass an hour rowing while watching football—and while my rowing intensity tends to drop while I’m watching TV and not pushing for hard workouts, even over a “leisurely” hour on the erg I burn almost 1,000 calories. That’s huge. And perhaps some Sundays I’ll go longer. At that burn rate, it would both satisfy my workout for the day and leave me some extra to enjoy a few beers. 

Today’s project and revelation:

On Sunday’s I have enjoyed sitting around and watching NFL and usually drinking beer and eating some good food. Sometimes for many hours. I’ve recently been trying to watch Netflix on my phone while I row. It works pretty well and makes the time fly by, but the phone is small and my eyes aren’t great. So, today I will go to Home Depot and build a stand for over my erg.  I could drop my IPad on there or better yet I may even go and get a small TV to put on top. NFL Sundays don’t have to be all slovenly.  I could easily pass an hour rowing while watching football—and while my rowing intensity tends to drop while I’m watching TV and not pushing for hard workouts, even over a “leisurely” hour on the erg I burn almost 1,000 calories. That’s huge. And perhaps some Sundays I’ll go longer. At that burn rate, it would both satisfy my workout for the day and leave me some extra to enjoy a few beers. 
I was discussing my grand plans for my rowing room just this morning. Just need to ‘execute’ this vision and it will be quite nice. 

Good to see the snack stash is just an arms length away. 
That’s the kids’ snack stash.  Thankfully I don’t eat that stuff.  Although a pretty funny image is a Twinkie dangling over the end of the erg, just out of reach, Otis rowing furiously towards it but never getting any closer. 

Registered me and the whole family for the Chance for Hope fun run.  Likely will just be me and O eldest doing it next weekend, but we’ll see. 

bostonfred said:
45 minutes walking, 1.5 mile run. Coffee, salad, shrimp, gatorade and all the sesame chicken with vegetable lomein I wanted. Might do some abs before bed while I watch football. 

Under calories, no alcohol. 22 down, 43 to go. 
You stated earlier that you didn’t have willpower.  I don’t know how exactly you define it but in my mind you have it in spades.

You stated earlier that you didn’t have willpower.  I don’t know how exactly you define it but in my mind you have it in spades.
He has developed a system that seems to have good success combatting his lack of will power. That and he recognizes that he doesn't so he is sure to remind himself of it so he's less likely to have a setback. Self awareness is critical in sustaining good health. And THAT is what Fred has. 

bostonfred said:
It's not hard to do, it's just hard to do consistently. 

I'd love to see you get back on track but are you sure that azfred37 from the internet is enough to inspire you?
The first 2-3 weeks aren't hard. Sustaining through 2-3 months and beyond is. And I don't mean to slight those that may think reading that THE FIRST COUPLE WEEKS ARE HARD! I'm just saying the next step is harder. 

I'm hoping to be able to yoga again tomorrow.  I had to be outside for about six minutes today to water some plants, and it was nasty, but allegedly it's going to get better even though our changes of rain have been pushed out to Friday now.  I just don't want to lose all the strength I'd gained in regular yoga, so will probably push it tomorrow anyway.  No, I'm not doing it outside or anything, but even "enclosed" in the house this #### has an effect.

ETA:  Nevermind.  I looked at updated forecast, and we’re in the 300s now (hazardous) and not predicted to be below “unhealthy” until Friday.  I’ll just be here getting fat and reading about your pushups.

The first 2-3 weeks aren't hard. Sustaining through 2-3 months and beyond is. And I don't mean to slight those that may think reading that THE FIRST COUPLE WEEKS ARE HARD! I'm just saying the next step is harder. 
The first week is hard because you're going through withdrawals, but at least you get the immediate gratification of losing the water weight.  The second and third week are when things start to get repetitive. That's when we lost @Otis for a little bit, although he says he's going to start back up.  Maybe he's learning about himself that he's able to sustain 2.5 to 3 weeks as long as he gets to have a blowout cheat day. 

Sustaining it is hard if you don't have some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. Whether that's a goal weight, an arbitrary date when you go back to maintenance, a planned cheat day... it's hard to sustain forever. If I were a betting man, I'd say that you're more likely to fail at your diet in the first three weeks than in any subsequent 3 week period, but you're also very likely to give back the weight you've lost if you don't learn permanent, sustainable habits. 

Otis said:
Fred killing it. Inspiring me to get back hard on this tomorrow. 
Do you think you can go with good diet, good exercise and zero booze until Saturday October 3rd if you get to have a blowout cheat weekend? 

i had a bad day yesterday first bad day in about 7 months and it wasnt really all that bad just ate more than the regular meals and had snacks and didnt work out enough otherwise i am back at it today and going to start a streak here of losing weight days take that to the bank bromigos 

The first week is hard because you're going through withdrawals, but at least you get the immediate gratification of losing the water weight.  The second and third week are when things start to get repetitive. That's when we lost @Otis for a little bit, although he says he's going to start back up.  Maybe he's learning about himself that he's able to sustain 2.5 to 3 weeks as long as he gets to have a blowout cheat day. 

Sustaining it is hard if you don't have some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. Whether that's a goal weight, an arbitrary date when you go back to maintenance, a planned cheat day... it's hard to sustain forever. If I were a betting man, I'd say that you're more likely to fail at your diet in the first three weeks than in any subsequent 3 week period, but you're also very likely to give back the weight you've lost if you don't learn permanent, sustainable habits. 
Fair points, and maybe that’s what I need.  Although to be honest, I didn’t need a blowout or cheat weekend.  And not to lay blame, but it’s really hard for me to stay on it when the Mrs. doesn’t.  That’s my Achilles heel.  Lame excuse and I need to get it done regardless of others.  But the good news is Mrs. O got up and got all three kids out of the house for the first time this morning, and went out and did a long walk and is back on board.  No booze at least tonight, and hopefully for many nights.

I only had coffee and a Kachava health shake today.  I’ll have a healthy meal and not screw around tonight.  I did my push-ups routine (got nearly kilt, got I’m weak and will need to repeat some stuff), and didn’t get in a row yet, but I’m aiming to do one later this afternoon.  So, I’m all in baby.

Let’s GO GO GO 

Week 3 Day 1 of pushup challenge.  I was feeling some right shoulder pain so was a little on the fence about even doing it.  However, the actual pushup motion didn't really hurt so I went for it.  14, 18, 14, 14, 22.  The last set was a pretty significant step down (on Saturday I had hit 40).  I just wasn't feeling it and for whatever reason my arms were tired at 22.  

Fair points, and maybe that’s what I need.  Although to be honest, I didn’t need a blowout or cheat weekend.  And not to lay blame, but it’s really hard for me to stay on it when the Mrs. doesn’t.  That’s my Achilles heel.  Lame excuse and I need to get it done regardless of others.  But the good news is Mrs. O got up and got all three kids out of the house for the first time this morning, and went out and did a long walk and is back on board.  No booze at least tonight, and hopefully for many nights.

I only had coffee and a Kachava health shake today.  I’ll have a healthy meal and not screw around tonight.  I did my push-ups routine (got nearly kilt, got I’m weak and will need to repeat some stuff), and didn’t get in a row yet, but I’m aiming to do one later this afternoon.  So, I’m all in baby.

Let’s GO GO GO 
You said it, lame excuse, so I won't beat the dead horse. But it's on you to over come that hurdle. Prioritize your health. If a particular decision you make that prioritizes your health irks her because it in some way inconveniences her then c'est la'vie. Do it anyway. After you do it enough times and if you demonstrate tangible progress then maybe you can positively influence her behavior. 

Long game. It's always about the long game.

Did my pushups.

Did an evening row — a rarity for me, but just had to squeeze one in — before getting the girls to bed.

Ate all super healthy crap.

Had a half glass of white wine with dinner, mixed with seltzer.  MRS. O MADE ME DO IT

A great day overall and I’m sure way below any calorie limit.  Come to think of it, the ultimate diet would be one where every day I take a photo of myself drinking alcohol and eating chocolate and potato chips.  Even if it’s a half drink of alcohol and a little piece of chocolate and a handful of potato chips.  And then you still get really ripped and everyone’s like “wow you look great what’s your diet secret???” And you can just be like “well basically I just eat chocolate and potato chips every day and drink booze every night.”  Then you flex an ab. 

But the good news is Mrs. O got up and got all three kids out of the house for the first time this morning, and went out and did a long walk and is back on board.  No booze at least tonight, and hopefully for many nights.
You made it from 3pm to dinner. AA doesn't even give you a chip for that

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Seriously thinking I should come up with a twist on this that involves one (1) alcoholic beverage every day (within AMA guidelines), a small serving of chocolate and some kind of potato chip type thing.  And then you just get ripped and everyone will be all wtf. And then you don’t have to be a kale martyr, instead you just eat and drink good stuff every day in such small amounts that you still lose weight. 

Tell me why this isn’t brilliant. 

Otis said:
Seriously thinking I should come up with a twist on this that involves one (1) alcoholic beverage every day (within AMA guidelines), a small serving of chocolate and some kind of potato chip type thing.  And then you just get ripped and everyone will be all wtf. And then you don’t have to be a kale martyr, instead you just eat and drink good stuff every day in such small amounts that you still lose weight. 

The flaw is likely your ability to ‘just have one’ may just be as good as your ability to ‘have none’ 😉 

5k row and week 3 day 1 pushups in the books last night. 

Otis said:

To recap

3pm I'm going to stop drinking this time i really mean it 

Dinner - starts drinking

Same day - I've invented a new diet where i can drink and eat potato chips every day. 

Why wouldn't anyone believe that your stoic resolve will allow you to stop at one drink and just a few chips each day? 

You don't have to be a kale martyr.  You refuse to count calories but really the only thing that matters for weight loss is calories in vs calories out.  You need protein so you don't lose muscle, you need fiber so you can ####, and you need some nutrients to keep your body from falling apart at the seams but there's a lot of wiggle room between kale protein shakes, and 20 piece mcnuggets on the side of your double cheeseburger meal.  

The reason everyone points to the drinking is that alcohol and foods you eat while drinking are like this portion of your food budget and every time you stop drinking you get the ####### shakes, last a couple weeks, then start drinking every day again. 

I'm happy for you that you are rowing and trying to eat better during the day, and it is possible to lose weight that way if you have discipline, but I suspect that what you're doing is maintaining your weight, not actually losing anything. If you have figured out what it takes to maintain your weight, while drinking and eating the occasional snack or barbecue over the weekend, then good for you. That's difficult in and of itself.  But you're kidding yourself if you think you can eyeball "good stuff" every day, hold yourself to one drink, hold yourself to just a few chips after drinking, not track any of this, and lose weight for an extended period of time. 

Users who are viewing this thread