What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

Brutally bad day for me too.  I had some wine last night and woke up feeling like crap after 3yo was up sick much of the night.  Didn’t sleep, woke up into a mad morning dash to get kids out to school.  Didn’t exercise, didn’t eat particularly well, and now I’m retiring defeated with a cigar and white wine spritzers in my yard as I get caught up on the rest of the crappy work emails that involve making hard decisions about who to cut from my group.

Not every day will be great.  And I’ve been wobbling.  I’m still down around 230 as of this morning, so down a little bit but still a lot of work to do.  I’m just scratching it off as a loss day. Tomorrow is a new one.  

Starting next week I plan to start setting a morning alarm to get a row in every morning.  That way if a day like today hits me, at least I rowed early, and that at least will make it somewhat more likely I stay on track.  It’s a marathon, not a sprint.  This mile beat me.  As long as I win more days than I lose going forward, I’ll still make progress, even if it’s slower than I want.

Thinking about repeating the beginning 30 days with Adrienne.  I know I can do it, the time commitment isn’t massive, some days are more challenging than others.  

Onward. 
In your honor I shall also skip tonight. Just not feeling it. Ate well today so not a big deal, but means I will have to get it done Friday night which has occasionally been tough for me. 

Yesterday finished week 3 day 2 of pushups - first time over 100 in total. Will finish week 3 tomorrow and then use Sunday to see how many I can get in a row these days. 

Hang in there errybody. 

I swear in the 6 years that my son has been alive, I've probably had a full, uninterrupted night of sleep ~ 20% of the time.  He gets up in the middle of the night to go pee and will always wake me up to tuck him back in (never wakes up his mom).  But I've gotten used to it and will probably miss the days when he stops doing it.

Anyways, the 5K is behind me @bigbottom  (thank you for allowing me to participate in such an emotional cause) and my shoulder is feeling much better.  Week 3, Day 3 of insane pushup challenge tomorrow along with a 55 minute body combat.  

And then (because it's Friday).......boooozzzeee!

I swear in the 6 years that my son has been alive, I've probably had a full, uninterrupted night of sleep ~ 20% of the time.  He gets up in the middle of the night to go pee and will always wake me up to tuck him back in (never wakes up his mom).  But I've gotten used to it and will probably miss the days when he stops doing it.

Anyways, the 5K is behind me @bigbottom  (thank you for allowing me to participate in such an emotional cause) and my shoulder is feeling much better.  Week 3, Day 3 of insane pushup challenge tomorrow along with a 55 minute body combat.  

And then (because it's Friday).......boooozzzeee!
Awesome, congrats!!!  You should receive your shirt and race medal in the mail by mid-October. Thank you so much for supporting childhood cancer awareness!

bostonfred said:
Today has been the hardest day for me in a while. Already close to my calorie goal for the day. Going to have to exercise later if I want dinner. 
A small salad, a skyr yogurt thing and a gatorade. 2.5 mile run, 20 minutes walking. Finished with almost 200 to spare.  

26 days down, 39 to go. 

I am so thankful our kids (4, 7, 10) are as self sufficient as they are. If I were woken up in the middle of the night by them on any sort of regular basis I'd probably get punchy. When the coffee maker beeps in the morning our youngest fills up my cup, brings it upstairs, taps me on the shoulder to wake me up, gives me a big hug, then retreats and leaves me be to caffeinate in peace.

I am so thankful our kids (4, 7, 10) are as self sufficient as they are. If I were woken up in the middle of the night by them on any sort of regular basis I'd probably get punchy. When the coffee maker beeps in the morning our youngest fills up my cup, brings it upstairs, taps me on the shoulder to wake me up, gives me a big hug, then retreats and leaves me be to caffeinate in peace.
Wtf 

I can only imagine what the 7 and 10 year old are trained to do for him.  But kudos - you obviously did something right!

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 3, Day 3 pushup challenge - 22, 30, 20, 20, 30.  I can feel myself getting considerably stronger (although we had a flooring guy come in lifting 60 lb boxes of wood over one shoulder up the stairs and I was right behind him gasping for air with 2 hands :lmao:   ) and honestly this is something that I think will stick.  I plan to continue doing these pushups for the long run.  Also did a 30 minute body combat.  However, my biggest success for the day was my diet (one glass of orange juice for breakfast and a small bowl of ramen for lunch with about 8 tortilla chips and salsa for snack).  I've set myself up to enjoy a couple slices of takeout pizza and some cocktails.  

Hundredpushups.com week 5 test

I got down and did 30 and felt bad so I stopped.   That shouldn't be right.  So I tried again a couple hours later and did 40 straight and probably could have done a couple more.  And it turns out, that's what I was supposed to be able to do to start the hard version of week 5 that I just completed without properly testing into it.  So I'll repeat the whole week 5, including that rough first day of 36/40/30/20/30 which was the final 5 set day.  And i might end up repeating days just to make sure i can do these.  Aside from, the slight ego hit,, I'm totally ok with slowing things down, I was definitely struggling with the final sets all week. I'd like to be able to do 60 pushups nonstop before I move on to the week 6 sets so I can do the hard version of that week too. 

I got down and did 30 and felt bad so I stopped.   That shouldn't be right.  So I tried again a couple hours later and did 40 straight and probably could have done a couple more.  And it turns out, that's what I was supposed to be able to do to start the hard version of week 5 that I just completed without properly testing into it.  So I'll repeat the whole week 5, including that rough first day of 36/40/30/20/30 which was the final 5 set day.  And i might end up repeating days just to make sure i can do these.  Aside from, the slight ego hit,, I'm totally ok with slowing things down, I was definitely struggling with the final sets all week. I'd like to be able to do 60 pushups nonstop before I move on to the week 6 sets so I can do the hard version of that week too. 
I was looking ahead at week 4 and I can easily see myself having to repeat days.  It’s getting noticeably harder.  I still don’t feel like I’m anywhere near 100 but I’ll take it one week at a time I guess.  

I finished the yoga today and did my pushups. I took an extra day off from pushups yesterday as prescribed in the hundreushups.com program and it made a huge difference.  @Maurile Tremblay I really think this is the better approach - I started around 10 pushups two weeks ago, and i did 63 pushups today (sets of 14, 14, 10, 10, 15) in under 10 minutes. My endurance is getting better, my form was nearly perfect today and I feel the difference. I think about your way sometimes on my scheduled rest days and I don't think I could do it with the daily yoga too although I do think the yoga is helping a lot with my overall strength including all the arm/shoulder/core/glutes used in pushups. 
This was me a month ago.

5 weeks later I did 200 pushups in 23 minutes. 

My top set went from 15 to 40 plus.

You're already doing 40 plus.

You'll get there, probably before I do.

30 days of yoga with adriene - beginners series https://yogawithadriene.com/30-days-yoga-welcome/

June 2020 program - harder than the first 30, has a few advanced sessions, including the first one arms and abs.  We all liked the weight loss ones, too, but there were a few duds. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzwubANxngKF0Jx-4fa1QqHk

Empower - power yoga/vinyasa, this one is challenging. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzyBgfGqzm0SFY08cTtJwAPQ

Five parks yoga - more advanced yoga classes from a different set of instructors, they don't give as much guidance on poses but these are definitely challenging and will make you sweat if you already know most of the poses https://youtu.be/YtuzNaaWZRQ

We were all going to do empower next but @DA RAIDERS hurt his foot, i hurt my knee, @krista4 is in the pacific northwest which leaves @The Flying Turtle doing these alone I think. We might all be ready to start these up next week so if you want to try the others out and see what works,, you're welcome to join us when we are all officially back
I went ahead with yoga again today even though our "don't you dare breathe in or out" warning was again extended, now through Sunday.  The second day of the Empower series is also one we did before, I think in the Courage series.  Whenever it was, it was a good one so I didn't mind hitting it again.

By the way, if you go without any exercise for a week and then do that first one, you might just wake up sore, as I found out this morning.

Downward dog is straight murder on my shoulders. Short of installing a crane, any suggestions?
https://youtu.be/j97SSGsnCAQ

She recommends you keep moving

You can also try switching between downward dog, plank and child's pose, which are all basically the same pose except for how high up your butt is. Try alternating between the three sometime and see how similar they are. Your hands and feet can stay almost the exact same spots although you might pull your feet towards you in down dog to make more of a sharp angle.  

No running or really any exercise except some pushups, my knee feels a lot better and no reason to mess with it because I was able to stay under calories, had my veggies, and no alcohol.

27 days down, 38 to go. 

No running or really any exercise except some pushups, my knee feels a lot better and no reason to mess with it because I was able to stay under calories, had my veggies, and no alcohol.

27 days down, 38 to go. 
I’m wondering if you’re even going to want a drink in 39 days.  You’ve  been so strong that I feel like this is truly a lifestyle change for you.

40 minute Saturday morning row. This weekend will be loose, I can feel it. But I’m sticking to habits as best I can.  Will do push-ups later. 
"I can feel it" literally means you are choosing it but also choosing language that implies that it's not your fault. You are making excuses to us but you're mostly just lying to yourself. "Sticking to habits as best i can" is just premeditated overeating.  

Own it. Say what you mean. "I am going to exercise this weekend while eating and drinking more than I should because I don't feel like dieting". Those "habits" youre sticking to aren't good habits, they're normal eating and exercising for a 43 year old on a weekend.

It's ok to not be dieting all the time. It's good to exercise when you're not dieting. It's not good to lie to yourself about what you're doing. 

Get used to the idea that what you were doing before was overeating and what you are doing now is exercising and maintaining, and that it will take more than this to lose weight when or if you decide to do it. You're doing a good job establishing good habits for maintaining your weight and choosing not to restrict your eating and drinking enough to lose weight. 

This isn't a failed diet and you aren't sticking to habits as best you can. You're deliberately eating poorly but not too poorly, and you're exercising so you don't backslide.  That's totally normal and ok to do but your paradigm is not in line with reality. 

bostonfred said:

Is this a plan with the end goal of doing 100 push-ups in a row? 

yes they say it takes as little as 6 weeks but if you need to redo a week you can and I have been redoing days all along. But no question I am the strongest I have ever been right now.
Nice, I did one of those things when I was in college. Every day did at least one more push-up than the day before. I got to 100 a lot easier than I expected but I was also like 20 so I wonder how it would go now 

Thus far: 2 apple cider donuts, 1 apple muffin, couple slices of pizza, a fresh pretzel, and a beer. @Otis am I doing this right?
Making me proud GB.  Making me so proud. Fall is the O-dawg’s favorite season, and that applies to the eating and drinking too.  If you can finish up with a nice butternut squash pasta, I’d be so happy.

Thus far: 2 apple cider donuts, 1 apple muffin, couple slices of pizza, a fresh pretzel, and a beer. @Otis am I doing this right?
I’m with you.  I went to the farmers market - healthy stuff!  To leave you have to go past a bratwurst stand - oops!

Running more errands - productivity!  But one was to pick up a wine club allocation, and now I’m sitting down for tastings - oops!

The scale says I gained 0.5 lbs this wee. What BF said to Otis more or less applies to me as well. :kicksrock:

Also, I've been bad about missing does of Trulicity. It's weird; I don't have any problem keeping up with a fairly complicated daily regimen of medications and supplements, but I throw a shoe on the weekly one with ridiculous regularity. I must pay better attention to detail on everything to resume the weight loss.

On the plus side, it was so lovely this morning that I walked for an hour.

The scale says I gained 0.5 lbs this wee. What BF said to Otis more or less applies to me as well. :kicksrock:
It applies to all of us. When we started the yoga I was doing daily yoga, running 5ks and doing pushups and then drinking a bottle of wine and having a late night snack on the reg.  I knew I wasn't losing weight, and I wasn't shocked when the scale confirmed it. But I was working out more and that got me more fit even though I wasn't losing weight. Now I'm cutting weight again, and that short term plateau didn't hurt me, plus I'm stronger than i was.

Maybe you're not losing weight, but you're walking more and more and with better times without complaining of pain. That's progress even if you gained back half a pound. And you've been doing some yoga. You're clearly better off than you were a few weeks ago, and being honest with yourself about what your recent food plus activity does is absolutely necessary if you're going to make a permanent change.  You're getting better at recognizing what a lose a pound week looks like and what a gain a half pound week looks like while you're exercising at this level, and that a critical skill when you're trying to maintain long term. You're in the middle of a long term goal not a week to week goal. Keep up the good work and make changes where you know you need to. 

It applies to all of us. When we started the yoga I was doing daily yoga, running 5ks and doing pushups and then drinking a bottle of wine and having a late night snack on the reg.  I knew I wasn't losing weight, and I wasn't shocked when the scale confirmed it. But I was working out more and that got me more fit even though I wasn't losing weight. Now I'm cutting weight again, and that short term plateau didn't hurt me, plus I'm stronger than i was.

Maybe you're not losing weight, but you're walking more and more and with better times without complaining of pain. That's progress even if you gained back half a pound. And you've been doing some yoga. You're clearly better off than you were a few weeks ago, and being honest with yourself about what your recent food plus activity does is absolutely necessary if you're going to make a permanent change.  You're getting better at recognizing what a lose a pound week looks like and what a gain a half pound week looks like while you're exercising at this level, and that a critical skill when you're trying to maintain long term. You're in the middle of a long term goal not a week to week goal. Keep up the good work and make changes where you know you need to. 
A lot of truth to this. Mrs O was looking at photos of me from after we had our first kid 9 years ago and was like “yeah wow you did get pretty fat.”  Back then I did zero exercise snd ate whatever, occasionally going on a little crash diet here snd there. I’m not much lighter than that now on the scale, but I’m much more fit, because in more recent year’s I started lifted weights, snd then doing cardio, and always doing something. My diet needs to improve snd my alcohol consumption should be less, but I’m far better off now than I was then. And I’m much closer to goal if only because I’m stronger and have more lean muscle at the same weight.  So if and when I finally check down the diet for an extended period, I’ll be right there. 

So close I can sniff it.  But I can also sniff pumpkin pie and beer. 

4 weeks in the books.  Had to eat before I got on the treadmill tonight because I was low on calories and decided to do a short workout with a small dinner instead of going big on both. Holding out hope for a 9 on the last digit of the scale tomorrow, but probably a couple days away.  I'm planning a couple "cheat meals" this week that will still keep me under calories for the day but feel like I'm celebrating 3 milestones I expect to hit- one month done, one month left, and 10 lbs to go.  At least one of them will be tomorrow because i should be able to get a long workout in watching football on the treadmilll.

28 down, 37 to go. 

Nice, I did one of those things when I was in college. Every day did at least one more push-up than the day before. I got to 100 a lot easier than I expected but I was also like 20 so I wonder how it would go now 
Join us.  I start week 4 on Monday and I have no clue how I'm going to hit 100 in a row.  But as Fred said, I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life.  And the great thing is it takes like 10 minutes out of your day.

Couldn’t finish the scheduled sets of push ups today. Even took a break for a couple hours and then tried my last set. Total pain and couldn’t do a single additional push up. So I did some girl push ups from my knees. Could barely do a few of those. 

If I row every morning and do push ups every afternoon I will have the perfect exercise routine.

Couldn’t finish the scheduled sets of push ups today. Even took a break for a couple hours and then tried my last set. Total pain and couldn’t do a single additional push up. So I did some girl push ups from my knees. Could barely do a few of those. 

If I row every morning and do push ups every afternoon I will have the perfect exercise routine.
You got this.

Join us.  I start week 4 on Monday and I have no clue how I'm going to hit 100 in a row.  But as Fred said, I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life.  And the great thing is it takes like 10 minutes out of your day.
Hmmm....How many push-ups are you doing at a time and per day? 

Hmmm....How many push-ups are you doing at a time and per day? 
Just go onto hundredpushups.com and follow the program.  Everyone's baseline is different and it doesn't really matter.  FWIW I don't think I'm anywhere close to doing 100 consecutive but apparently in 3 weeks I should be able to knock them out.  

Just go onto hundredpushups.com and follow the program.  Everyone's baseline is different and it doesn't really matter.  FWIW I don't think I'm anywhere close to doing 100 consecutive but apparently in 3 weeks I should be able to knock them out.  
Cool,  I will take the test Monday and start my week. 

For those with experience here, when I do my test- How hard should I push myself? Max out one set or stop once it is a struggle?

For those with experience here, when I do my test- How hard should I push myself? Max out one set or stop once it is a struggle?
https://hundredpushups.com/test.html

"To perform the test, simply execute as many good-form pushups as you can. Don't cut corners and please don't cheat - the last thing you want to do is end up in the wrong level of the training program! The results may be humbling, but trust me, honesty is the best policy if you want to maximize your strength gains!

Once you've collapsed in a sweaty heap on the floor and your arms have stopped trembling from the exertion, make a note (mental or otherwise) of how many, or how few, pushups you were able to perform. As an example, the first time I performed the test, I managed to eke out just 19 consecutive good-form pushups."

In other words stop when your form is bad.  For their instructions on form go to https://hundredpushups.com/what.html

Then continue on to week 1  https://hundredpushups.com/week1.html which will tell you where to start and how many pushups per set. 

The program starts with 5 sets, and tells you how much rest to take between sets (you can take more if you need to, and i need to so I do). In week 5 you switch from 5 sets to 8 sets but the first 7 are actually a little easier than before. 

You never do a single set of more than 60 before you attempt the single set of 100 at the end, and if you try 100 and fail they just have you repeat the final week. 

Users who are viewing this thread