Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread — Now with less fad diet! And less bfred! (he’s losing weight)

22 minutes ago, krista4 said:

My brother and SIL have COVD, my cat died today, and we are still under a "don't you dare step outside" alert for at least three more days.  My GAF done got up and went.

Oh man I'm so sorry GB. 

38 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Hundredpushups.com week 5 day 3

One of these things is not like the others... one of these things just isn't the same...seeing as how I've never actually done 40 without pausing/collapsing/failing momentsrily, I don't expect to do knock out 150 pushups and then do my first 50 nonstop, but I'm hoping to get through all the first 7 sets without problems, then on the final set do 30 something, fall flat on my face, get mad because I was so close, and then finish strong.  Let's see how this goes. 

20 - started at 4:43. 20 seems easy now.  I do feel it, but it's night and day compared to when I started a month and a half ago. 1 minute rest.

20 - a little harder but not bad. Feel it more now that I'm resting. Closer to 90 seconds rest because I forgot to start my timer. I like 90. 

24 - yeah this was a little harder but still very much able to do the whole set with control and good pace. 90 seconds rest. 

24 - number 24 was a little rough and my belly is sagging down when I lower. Taking a minute 45 and focusing on form and slowing down next set

20 - i thought this was going to be the difficult set from all of the cumulative effort but i finished easily and my form was much better. Definitely feeling it adding up though. Taking two minutes rest. 

20 - done but my heart is pounding. I was trying to focus on form and ended up holding my breath. Let's take two minutes or whenever these black dots go away when i close my eyes. 

22 - done. My back was soft on these and my heart rate is still way up, so I'm taking lots of rest before the big set. 5 minutes. 

50 - ####. 30. Stop. 10. Stop. 10 more.  That was brutal. But I'm done. 200 pushups in 23 minutes. 

Out of curiosity, when you say "stop", are you still in a plank position or are you sitting up and taking a break.  Great job BTW - I'm dreading looking ahead to Week 5.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, krista4 said:

My brother and SIL have COVID, my cat died today, and we are still under a "don't you dare step outside" alert for at least three more days.  My GAF is done.

Ugh so sorry to hear that.  

2 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Out of curiosity, when you say "stop", are you still in a plank position or are you sitting up and taking a break.  Great job BTW - I'm dreading looking ahead to Week 5.  

Usually I'm flat down, belly touching the floor, for a few seconds where I could not push back up if I wanted to. Today I did child's pose after my 30th for probably close to 10 seconds, and after 40 i just needed a second or two..  I try to get back to it faster than that but I just didn't have it.  I have tried to do plank, but that's really hard for me. 

• Like 1

Did a couple mile run on the treadmill then had some quesadilla with extra chicken to get my protein up for the day. Checked my calories and I somehow managed to finish with zero left. Peak efficiency imo.  

Checked the scale and was pleasantly surprised to see that I'm on track for my stretch goal with under 12 pounds to lose in the next 6 weeks. 

24 days down, 41 to go. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Took yesterday and today off from exercise (other than the push-up challenge yesterday).  I have a knot in my right shoulder and I don't want to make it worse.  Tomorrow I'll still try to do the push-ups since that doesn't seem to bother the shoulder.  Other than that, I'll probably focus on stretching exercises to help get rid of this.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Took yesterday and today off from exercise (other than the push-up challenge yesterday).  I have a knot in my right shoulder and I don't want to make it worse.  Tomorrow I'll still try to do the push-ups since that doesn't seem to bother the shoulder.  Other than that, I'll probably focus on stretching exercises to help get rid of this.  

Did you end up doing the chance for hope 5k? I didn't see your results post but might have missed it. Might be a good alternative if you're looking for something to train for. I am waiting until end of month because of my knee, limiting myself to 1.5-2 miles right now so I expect my time to be awful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

Did you end up doing the chance for hope 5k? I didn't see your results post but might have missed it. Might be a good alternative if you're looking for something to train for. I am waiting until end of month because of my knee, limiting myself to 1.5-2 miles right now so I expect my time to be awful. 

I wasn't able to last weekend but I like the idea of running the next several days and avoiding body combat for a while.  It will keep me active and get me ready for the 5K run next weekend.  

• Like 1

Yesterday got away from me and I didn’t exercise. I also didn’t eat much or anything or drink.  So it was a net positive day for sure. 

Made up for it by getting up in the 5s this morning and rowing. I’ll do my push ups later too. And I’ll eat well. 

Basically the mornings with all the kids in school have become hectic and I just haven’t had time to work out before the morning calls start. So, need to get back into an early routine and do it before everyone else wakes up. Easy peasy. 

• Like 3

Did a mile and a half walk, at a pace that was fast for me, with my new lady friend last night.

1.5 miles in 34 minutes.  22’50”/mile pace according to my Apple Watch.

My GAF coming back.  Mostly due to outside influences.  Lol  We’ve agreed to walk together whenever we can.  Helps that she lives about 5 miles away.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

rode my bike yesterday afternoon and finished way under on calories did a 4 mile run this morning which is huge for me since i am just learning to run again after having big surgeries on my legs about 6 years ago so i walk 10 percent jog 90 percent and my times are horrible but i get it done one bowl of honey bunches of oats and thats it for the day feelin good and losing more weight take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, krista4 said:

My brother and SIL have COVID, my cat died today, and we are still under a "don't you dare step outside" alert for at least three more days.  My GAF is done.

saw that about argo.  all the love.

smoke is still pretty bad here too.  i've actually ran the AC this week, instead of opening windows.  working out, outside, is a no go.  by i did a 10k at work friday night.  outside.  :mellow:  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

i'm back!  foot injuries are the suck.  did 2 arryanna videos yesterday and 2 sets of 50 pushups.  happy the strength is still there.  i had done next to nothing for nearly a week.  other than log mile after mile at work.  cranked 80 flights of stairs on saturday.   not the best for healing a foot.

nice job on 200 pushups fred!  i'll see if i can match it.  that 50 at the end?  ooooooof

Edited by DA RAIDERS
  • Like 2

kristahan i wish you and yours the best hang in there take that to the bank bromiga 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, krista4 said:

So sorry Krista. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Week 2 of push-ups in the book.  Did 17 straight after my week 2.  That’s really crappy compared to Fred and you push-up nerds, but it’s hella better than where I started.

On to week 3, though will ratchet down to that first column in week 3 based on this test...

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Otis said:

Week 2 of push-ups in the book.  Did 17 straight after my week 2.  That’s really crappy compared to Fred and you push-up nerds, but it’s hella better than where I started.

On to week 3, though will ratchet down to that first column in week 3 based on this test...

That's awesome.  That's almost double where you started.  I didn't move down a slot, I just redid more days.  I don't know which is better.  

• Like 2

Ate well, ran a couple miles, no alcohol.  Lower on protein than I would have liked but stayed 50 calories under target.  Scale looks good again today. It's been colder in the mornings so I put on some jeans I bought last winter and they're loose. 25 days down, 40 to go. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

Ate well, ran a couple miles, no alcohol.  Lower on protein than I would have liked but stayed 50 calories under target.  Scale looks good again today. It's been colder in the mornings so I put on some jeans I bought last winter and they're loose. 25 days down, 40 to go. 

This rocks. You’re almost halfway. I may have fallen off the wagon but still rooting you on from the side of the road. 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 4:44 PM, krista4 said:

damn, sorry krista

• Thanks 1

While I have zero disposable income thanks to my covid vacation, it's been great for getting in shape.  Do the same thing everyday, then take Sunday off:

8ish - wake-up, mess around on phone/computer

9 - breakfast - juice(frozen blueberries, half apple/banana, quarter cucumber(.33 if small) and a handful of spinach) and a protein bar

10 - 10k on the treadmill, right now takes 55 minutes.  Slowly building pace

11 - when done, relax and stop sweating

12 - lunch - usually an open faced cheese bagel, one with bologna, one with chicken, then g.olives, mushrooms, cheese and sauce.  Eat with macaroni salad.

while the bagel bakes to melt the cheese, 30 push ups, 30 sit-ups, 30 curls w/5lb dumbells.  After bagel snack #1, 50 cent portion of cookies, chips, jube jubes, ice cream etc.

12:30 - shower, lounge

2:30 - snack #2, do errands if any are needed

4:30 - dinner - usually salad consisting of half cucumber, half tomato, few mushrooms and a chicken breast.  Dressing is oil based, never creamy.  Snack #3

5:00 - done eating, 16-8 fasting.  Never hungry, don't crave bad meals.  Drink maybe a litre of diet pop from lunch through dinner.  Snack and pop are a must for me for now.

5ish - 30/30/30 again

6:00 - 75min walk.  Partly exercise, partly something to do.  Not sure of distance, not a fast pace at all

10ish 30/30/30 again

Sleep around 11-12, depending on what I'm doing.

Sunday - no exercise, maybe a bad meal.  Had a medium pizza last week

I've lost roughly 30lbs, while adding some muscle I assume.  I gain muscle easily, so little exercises to avoid bulk.  Definitely more toned(not saying much).  I'm short and thick to begin with, bulky short dudes look stupid imo.  

This routine has been great for me.  I don't miss work at all, and I weirdly enjoy the monotony.  Spend around $15(cad) a day on food. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Zigg said:

While I have zero disposable income thanks to my covid vacation, it's been great for getting in shape.  Do the same thing everyday, then take Sunday off:

9 - breakfast - juice(frozen blueberries, half apple/banana, quarter cucumber(.33 if small) and a handful of spinach) and a protein bar

12 - lunch - usually an open faced cheese bagel, one with bologna, one with chicken, then g.olives, mushrooms, cheese and sauce.  Eat with macaroni salad.

while the bagel bakes to melt the cheese, 30 push ups, 30 sit-ups, 30 curls w/5lb dumbells.  After bagel snack #1, 50 cent portion of cookies, chips, jube jubes, ice cream etc.

4:30 - dinner - usually salad consisting of half cucumber, half tomato, few mushrooms and a chicken breast.  Dressing is oil based, never creamy.  Snack #3

5:00 - done eating, 16-8 fasting.  Never hungry, don't crave bad meals.  Drink maybe a litre of diet pop from lunch through dinner.  Snack and pop are a must for me for now.

5ish - 30/30/30 again

6:00 - 75min walk.  Partly exercise, partly something to do.  Not sure of distance, not a fast pace at all

10ish 30/30/30 again

I've lost roughly 30lbs, while adding some muscle I assume.  I gain muscle easily, so little exercises to avoid bulk.  Definitely more toned(not saying much).  I'm short and thick to begin with, bulky short dudes look stupid imo.  

This routine has been great for me.  I don't miss work at all, and I weirdly enjoy the monotony.  Spend around $15(cad) a day on food. 

Love this. Way to turn a negative into a positive. How long have you been doing this? 30 lbs is fantastic 

• Like 1

Week 3, Day 2 of pushup challenge - 20, 25, 15, 15, 40.  I can really feel it getting considerably harder at this point.  I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to hit 40 on a set.  Didn't do any other exercise (and didn't do a good job with eating).  Tomorrow the kids are both out of the house and my calendar is open so that will be the day that I run the 5K.  Shoulder feeling considerably better today so I'm hoping to hit up body combat starting Friday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zigg said:

5ish - 30/30/30 again

10ish 30/30/30 again

Another guy with great discipline.  I could learn a lot from you.  Great job!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

Love this. Way to turn a negative into a positive. How long have you been doing this? 30 lbs is fantastic 

April.  Was lazy when pandemic first started, then decided to use time to get back to running. Eating plan evolved as I went along, and I like where it is now.

30 lbs is over more time though.  I was running a while before the pandemic, then stopped for a bit when I stopped working.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Another guy with great discipline.  I could learn a lot from you.  Great job!

You guys give Otis a hard time for his eating, but for me, nothing is realistic if I deprive myself of what I enjoy.  I also avoid exercise I dislike(weights) as well.  

Eat what you love, cut out the crap that you eat cause it’s there.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting everyone. I have been watching from afar and looks like everyone is doing fantastic, great motivation. I am going to give the push-ups and yoga a go as I love yoga but haven't done it since college (best class ever to take - needed 2 "PE" credits), and am a slow gainer in the upper body strength.

Since quarantine started out West, I have completed about 100 rides on my Peloton light and feel great and love it. Additionally I have gathered multiple kettlebells and started doing 150 swings a few times a week and want to start Simple and Sinister program. 

Here is where my question comes in. Does anyone have a good workout schedule that can be formatted but still looks nice ? Ideally it is something I can buy or create and print out as being able to check the days off physically works best for me. I am the person that needs motivation at the end of the day to do my workouts as I am normally a AM workout person, but work has shifted schedules to make that not viable. 

Keep up the great workout people! :clap:

• Like 3

Just ran the 5K in 28:22 (9:08 mile pace).  I was cruising along at about a 9:00 pace for about the first 2.5 miles and then the left knee started giving in.  I paused for about 2 minutes and then finished the rest.  I just realized that this is my first time running since May 31st.  If/when I run again, it will either be on the treadmill (never encountered any pain on the treadmill before) or I'll stop at 2 miles.  

• Like 4

i lost another pound versus yesterday so i am on the right path again walked and ran yesterday am and rode my bike yesterday afternoon tonight i am heading out camping so i will get some more hiking in this weekend and will eat well because i dont bring enough stuff to eat bad which is probably a lesson i should learn in real life as in if i dont buy crap at the grocery store then i wont eat crap at home just buy healthy stuff so i am off until monday you brohans have a great rest of the week and weekend and lets power through september take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yesterday's walk featured back spasms about 20 minutes in. I got an extra ten minutes or stretching and bending this morning, though, because I could not find my cell phone. By the time I found it, there was some question as to whether I could complete the walk on time. But I was more properly warmed up, and kinda torqued, so I scorched my route at a 17:56 pace. I'm sure it was terrifying to the rare passers-by, but it had to be done. Gonna go step on the doctor's scales now.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Sorry @bostonfred. I know I asked many pages ago for links to the yoga videos you guys have been doing, which you complied with. But then I forgot to bookmark them :bag: Mind throwing them out there one more time? In-person schooling for all 3 started this week and I'm gonna give this my first spin Friday morning.

Today has been the hardest day for me in a while. Already close to my calorie goal for the day. Going to have to exercise later if I want dinner. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Sorry @bostonfred. I know I asked many pages ago for links to the yoga videos you guys have been doing, which you complied with. But then I forgot to bookmark them :bag: Mind throwing them out there one more time? In-person schooling for all 3 started this week and I'm gonna give this my first spin Friday morning.

30 days of yoga with adriene - beginners series https://yogawithadriene.com/30-days-yoga-welcome/

June 2020 program - harder than the first 30, has a few advanced sessions, including the first one arms and abs.  We all liked the weight loss ones, too, but there were a few duds. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzwubANxngKF0Jx-4fa1QqHk

Empower - power yoga/vinyasa, this one is challenging. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzyBgfGqzm0SFY08cTtJwAPQ

Five parks yoga - more advanced yoga classes from a different set of instructors, they don't give as much guidance on poses but these are definitely challenging and will make you sweat if you already know most of the poses https://youtu.be/YtuzNaaWZRQ

We were all going to do empower next but @DA RAIDERS hurt his foot, i hurt my knee, @krista4 is in the pacific northwest which leaves @The Flying Turtle doing these alone I think. We might all be ready to start these up next week so if you want to try the others out and see what works,, you're welcome to join us when we are all officially back

• Thanks 2

At the very least, I'll definitely be a more active follower. I only intend to do this 1-2x per week as an additional piece to my current regimen. I could see doing it more often when the weather turns bad in a couple months, but that's an internal debate for then; not now. That's why I want to start now though. Acclimate again after a year 10 year hiatus then decision make.

• Like 1

i'm in for whatever.  i prefer the harder ones.  vinyasa flow seems to be a favorite of mine.

i swung by the gym, for the first time in months.  i miss it.  especially my sauna :cry:  

I haven’t been good this week with the yoga. Still walking and eating well, but can’t seem to find time to squeeze the yoga in. 

I drive my daughter to soccer and walk for 90 minutes, but I am not quite ready to do yoga out there. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

I haven’t been good this week with the yoga. Still walking and eating well, but can’t seem to find time to squeeze the yoga in. 

I drive my daughter to soccer and walk for 90 minutes, but I am not quite ready to do yoga out there. 

Ok so we're all taking a break now. Let's get back to it next week. 

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

30 days of yoga with adriene - beginners series https://yogawithadriene.com/30-days-yoga-welcome/

June 2020 program - harder than the first 30, has a few advanced sessions, including the first one arms and abs.  We all liked the weight loss ones, too, but there were a few duds. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzwubANxngKF0Jx-4fa1QqHk

Empower - power yoga/vinyasa, this one is challenging. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzyBgfGqzm0SFY08cTtJwAPQ

Five parks yoga - more advanced yoga classes from a different set of instructors, they don't give as much guidance on poses but these are definitely challenging and will make you sweat if you already know most of the poses https://youtu.be/YtuzNaaWZRQ

We were all going to do empower next but @DA RAIDERS hurt his foot, i hurt my knee, @krista4 is in the pacific northwest which leaves @The Flying Turtle doing these alone I think. We might all be ready to start these up next week so if you want to try the others out and see what works,, you're welcome to join us when we are all officially back

Well, I just did the first one on Empower again.  It had been a week, and even though breathing is still not recommended here, it seems a little better.  We're predicted for possible rain tomorrow/Saturday, so I'm hoping that will happen.

I wanted to mention to @MAC_32 that, if you choose the empower program, the first one is not what I've come to know as a typical Adriene video, the big difference/downside being it has voiceover.  Not only voiceover, but also some annoying yoga-type mystical music in the background.  In that regard, it's awful, so don't judge all Adrienes by this video; the vast majority of hers have her speaking while doing the moves, which has the benefit of her getting off-track if there's a moth or dog slobber or something.  This one is also different in the jumping jack and stuff, but that's not necessarily a negative.  

The first program of hers I did was HOME:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzzFFfpiil94CUrWKVMaqmkm  I enjoyed the one a lot.  I get the impression it was a little harder than beginner, but overall not advanced.  So depending upon what you're looking for, that's another option.

• Thanks 1

Brutally bad day for me too.  I had some wine last night and woke up feeling like crap after 3yo was up sick much of the night.  Didn’t sleep, woke up into a mad morning dash to get kids out to school.  Didn’t exercise, didn’t eat particularly well, and now I’m retiring defeated with a cigar and white wine spritzers in my yard as I get caught up on the rest of the crappy work emails that involve making hard decisions about who to cut from my group.

Not every day will be great.  And I’ve been wobbling.  I’m still down around 230 as of this morning, so down a little bit but still a lot of work to do.  I’m just scratching it off as a loss day. Tomorrow is a new one.  

Starting next week I plan to start setting a morning alarm to get a row in every morning.  That way if a day like today hits me, at least I rowed early, and that at least will make it somewhat more likely I stay on track.  It’s a marathon, not a sprint.  This mile beat me.  As long as I win more days than I lose going forward, I’ll still make progress, even if it’s slower than I want.

Thinking about repeating the beginning 30 days with Adrienne.  I know I can do it, the time commitment isn’t massive, some days are more challenging than others.  

Onward. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

Brutally bad day for me too.  I had some wine last night and woke up feeling like crap after 3yo was up sick much of the night.  Didn’t sleep, woke up into a mad morning dash to get kids out to school.  Didn’t exercise, didn’t eat particularly well, and now I’m retiring defeated with a cigar and white wine spritzers in my yard as I get caught up on the rest of the crappy work emails that involve making hard decisions about who to cut from my group.

Not every day will be great.  And I’ve been wobbling.  I’m still down around 230 as of this morning, so down a little bit but still a lot of work to do.  I’m just scratching it off as a loss day. Tomorrow is a new one.  

Starting next week I plan to start setting a morning alarm to get a row in every morning.  That way if a day like today hits me, at least I rowed early, and that at least will make it somewhat more likely I stay on track.  It’s a marathon, not a sprint.  This mile beat me.  As long as I win more days than I lose going forward, I’ll still make progress, even if it’s slower than I want.

Thinking about repeating the beginning 30 days with Adrienne.  I know I can do it, the time commitment isn’t massive, some days are more challenging than others.  

Onward. 

You've made a lot of excuses here and taken heat for it but this is one where I don't blame you in the least. Sucky thing to have to do. Get some rest and try not to think about it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Otis said:

Onward. 

In your honor I shall also skip tonight. Just not feeling it. Ate well today so not a big deal, but means I will have to get it done Friday night which has occasionally been tough for me. 

Yesterday finished week 3 day 2 of pushups - first time over 100 in total. Will finish week 3 tomorrow and then use Sunday to see how many I can get in a row these days. 

Hang in there errybody. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I swear in the 6 years that my son has been alive, I've probably had a full, uninterrupted night of sleep ~ 20% of the time.  He gets up in the middle of the night to go pee and will always wake me up to tuck him back in (never wakes up his mom).  But I've gotten used to it and will probably miss the days when he stops doing it.

Anyways, the 5K is behind me @bigbottom  (thank you for allowing me to participate in such an emotional cause) and my shoulder is feeling much better.  Week 3, Day 3 of insane pushup challenge tomorrow along with a 55 minute body combat.  

And then (because it's Friday).......boooozzzeee!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I swear in the 6 years that my son has been alive, I've probably had a full, uninterrupted night of sleep ~ 20% of the time.  He gets up in the middle of the night to go pee and will always wake me up to tuck him back in (never wakes up his mom).  But I've gotten used to it and will probably miss the days when he stops doing it.

Anyways, the 5K is behind me @bigbottom  (thank you for allowing me to participate in such an emotional cause) and my shoulder is feeling much better.  Week 3, Day 3 of insane pushup challenge tomorrow along with a 55 minute body combat.  

And then (because it's Friday).......boooozzzeee!

Awesome, congrats!!!  You should receive your shirt and race medal in the mail by mid-October. Thank you so much for supporting childhood cancer awareness!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Today has been the hardest day for me in a while. Already close to my calorie goal for the day. Going to have to exercise later if I want dinner. 

A small salad, a skyr yogurt thing and a gatorade. 2.5 mile run, 20 minutes walking. Finished with almost 200 to spare.  

26 days down, 39 to go. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I am so thankful our kids (4, 7, 10) are as self sufficient as they are. If I were woken up in the middle of the night by them on any sort of regular basis I'd probably get punchy. When the coffee maker beeps in the morning our youngest fills up my cup, brings it upstairs, taps me on the shoulder to wake me up, gives me a big hug, then retreats and leaves me be to caffeinate in peace.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I am so thankful our kids (4, 7, 10) are as self sufficient as they are. If I were woken up in the middle of the night by them on any sort of regular basis I'd probably get punchy. When the coffee maker beeps in the morning our youngest fills up my cup, brings it upstairs, taps me on the shoulder to wake me up, gives me a big hug, then retreats and leaves me be to caffeinate in peace.

Wtf 

• Laughing 5

I can only imagine what the 7 and 10 year old are trained to do for him.  But kudos - you obviously did something right!

Edited by fred_1_15301