Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Otis fad diet thread — Now with less fad diet! And less bfred! (he’s losing weight)

6 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

S/b watching the Chiefs!  

Good job.

Thanks kindly and yes the Chiefs are fun to watch.  I thought they would roll but it was a more entertaining game than I expected. Some bad bounces for the pats but if they get a rematch with their starting quarterback I think it will be another fun one. 

• Like 1

Stayed about 300 calories under my allotment yesterday. 

My body weight workout was a bit easier and I upped the weight on the dumbbell rows and increased the time of the plank.  I'm trying to decide whether to increase the pushups, 10 is just really easy but I still struggle with some of the other parts of the circuit.

Keep it up.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Stayed about 300 calories under my allotment yesterday. 

My body weight workout was a bit easier and I upped the weight on the dumbbell rows and increased the time of the plank.  I'm trying to decide whether to increase the pushups, 10 is just really easy but I still struggle with some of the other parts of the circuit.

Keep it up.

I knew it would get easier for you.  BTW if you ever get bored with that workout or just want to mix it up, there are tons of free workouts on YouTube.  Just google "HIIT Workout" and you'll see a bunch that vary in length.  There is a 15 minute one that's a killer.  I prefer Sydney Cummings who has a 60 day workout program (I think it's 60 days) because she's very motivational (kind of like Adriene from yoga).  I like to mix these up just to get variety.  Most of these do not need any equipment.  

• Like 2

6 miles or so yesterday/100 push ups.

gonna walk/run/hike for a bit.  do push ups and add what i call my jane fonda work out.  standing oblique twists,   same arm position,  toe touches to the opposite foot.  add in a version of a standing side crunch.  same position as the first 2, but i keep my torso straight and lower my upper body horizontally with  straight arms, until the lowering hand touches the out side of my knee/upper calf.  go both directions. i finish with this goofy thing i saw maradonna do.  slight bend in the knees, legs spread pretty wide, arms overhead.  then in a sweeping motion, with both arms, rotate and touch the outside a your foot and drag your finger tips across the ground, until you touch the outside of the other foot.  then, back up, over head.  repeat.

definitely not a dr.  just some dude, looking the fool.  works the #### out of my torso though.  it also helps my flexibility.  :shrug:  

• Like 3

On 10/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, fred_1_15301 said:

Are you going back to week 4, column 3 tomorrow?  If so, we are at same pace this week.  Can’t recall if you were just re-doing week 5.

Week 5 day 1 rereredo 

36 - check. Forgot to try the new breathing technique but I still have 4 more chances

40 - I hate the new breathing, stopped at 12

Hmm

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevzilla said:

"Things I Saw Maradona Do " is a mixed bag, health-wise :D

:oldunsure:  i have done some of his other workouts as well. :oldunsure:

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

im gonna give that ole standing twister deal a go because maybe it will help my sidehandles and that my friends is the swc im gonna try this of the day take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I knew it would get easier for you.  BTW if you ever get bored with that workout or just want to mix it up, there are tons of free workouts on YouTube.  Just google "HIIT Workout" and you'll see a bunch that vary in length.  There is a 15 minute one that's a killer.  I prefer Sydney Cummings who has a 60 day workout program (I think it's 60 days) because she's very motivational (kind of like Adriene from yoga).  I like to mix these up just to get variety.  Most of these do not need any equipment.  

yeah, I'm going to keep at this circuit for a bit longer until it gets too easy.  They have other similar workouts on the site, so I'll probably move on to more complex circuits.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SWC said:

im gonna give that ole standing twister deal a go because maybe it will help my sidehandles and that my friends is the swc im gonna try this of the day take that to the bank bromigos 

start with low reps.  it's surprising how much that routine works the torso.  head stays still.  goal is to look down the length of each arm.  kinda like warrior two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

20 minutes running, 20 minutes walking, an abbreviated pushup session, and I'm about to do some core exercises before i shower and go to bed.

Goal 1500 calories, actual 1614 calories, burned 460 exercise, net 346 calories under goal. 25g fiber which is pretty good, but only 79g protein which is not enough. Need to go grocery shopping and just get a ton of chicken and seafood and veggies for this final push. 

45 days down, 20 to go, 5.8 lbs to goal. 

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 4

Dang it.  I use a Samsung watch to track steps and have it connected to MFP.  Well something broke between the two and now my steps are not getting into MFP.  

Online searches seem to indicate that the Samsung app somehow broke the connection. 

Hope this gets fixed soon.  

• Sad 1

so my left leg has been pretty sore for about the last 15 miles i walked so i took three ibuprofen today and really stretched out before i went on my mroning walk well it took about 20 minutes but it finally just released and the cramping i was having just stopped so i got about 1 hour and 20 minutes of pain free walking in after that and i am feeling pretty good now take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SWC said:

so my left leg has been pretty sore for about the last 15 miles i walked so i took three ibuprofen today and really stretched out before i went on my mroning walk well it took about 20 minutes but it finally just released and the cramping i was having just stopped so i got about 1 hour and 20 minutes of pain free walking in after that and i am feeling pretty good now take that to the bank bromigos 

I use a hypervolt hyperice on my muscle tension it has been a huge help for me I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but you can take that to the hyperbank hypermigo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SWC said:

Be sure to stretch after as well.  Stretching after is just as important as before.  Also stretch on 'off' days, if you believe in those.  Also this:

5 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but you can take that to the hyperbank hypermigo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

still drinking too much.  logged 5ish miles.  with push ups, and a squat/lunge routine added in :shrug:  

• Like 2

@fred_1_15301 I decided to stop yesterday after hating my new breathing technique when I used it on my first set, because I was trying to breathe with every pushup but I am able to do my firat set of pushu0s faster than my breath.  But I think it will help on my last set, when I'm starting to get tired out and need to slow things down. So I'm doing week 5 day 3 and seeing if it works. It might not, tbh. I did take a couple days rest since my last big set, but I did a set of 36 yesterday before declaring I hated them, so I may have a little residual fatigue. I'm also not sure about this finak set of 50, since i didn't totally master the final set of 45 last time. But let's see what happens.  If I fail I can repeat.  Taking two minutes rest between sets and extra before the final set. 

20 easy

20 easy

24 warming up

24 ok I'm warm but it feels ok

20 done

20 done

22 ok it's adding up. Drinking some water and doing child's pose for a few minutes. 

50 this went better than I expected. 35 straight, which is about where I typically peter out.  Took a knee for 5 seconds, and did 11 more. Form was suffering badly so I stopped again for about 2 seconds and did the last few.  Not perfect... at all... but i did them. 

Now the question is, what next. If I continue on to week 6 I'm supposed to do a pushup test where 46 is the minimum passing grade, and if i want to continue on to week 6 day 1 and do the hard version again, it looks like this https://hundredpushups.com/week6.html

I can tell you right now that that's not happening. But what I just did was harder than the easy column.  What I just did was harder than the easy column day 3 on literally every set.  So maybe I start with the easy column day q, then do the middle column day 1, then continue through week 6 in the middle column and then decide.  I don't feel like I'm one week away from 100 consecutive so I will probably repeat some things regardless. 

For now I'm happy with the accomplishment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

still drinking too much.  logged 5ish miles.  with push ups, and a squat/lunge routine added in :shrug:  

This sounds like my goal for maintenance mode.  How do things look on the scale?

I did a long walk with my kid and did my pushups but no running.  Kept my calories under goal and had 88g protein... not enough, but it's hard to get enough protein and stay 1000 calories under maintenance without a lot of cardio. Will grocery shop tomorrow to get some higher protein foods and watch football on the treadmill at night to earn some extra calories, so I should be better with protein. No alcohol, obv. 

46 days down, 19 to go, 6 lbs to goal. 

• Like 2

Week 4, Day 2 pushup challenge (column 3) - 25, 29, 25, 25, 36.  Overall felt pretty easy.  Didn't struggle at all with sets 1-4 and struggled with the last 5 or 6 of Set 5 but didn't need to pause.  I'm hoping moving back a week is going to help.  Doing 140 pushups in under 10 minutes is still nothing to sneeze at and I was able to push through fairly easily.  A testament to the program.

@bostonfred  What type of breathing technique were you using (sorry if I missed it)?  With each pushup, I basically take a quick inhale on the way down and a quick exhale on the way up.  I have no idea if that's the way I'm supposed to be doing it.  I was looking at week 6, column 1 and I think you could pretty easily knock that one down next week.  If I were in your shoes, I would just go week 6, column 1 and then repeat week 6 column 2 and then finish with column 3.  Obviously adjust accordingly after each week.  

My plan is to hit Week 5, column 3 next week and then start week 6, column 1 the following week, etc, etc.  Thus, I'm ~ 4 and a half weeks away from completing the challenge (if all goes well).  You're a little bit closer.  But I still don't feel anywhere close to 100 consecutive.  :shrug: 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Week 4, Day 2 pushup challenge (column 3) - 25, 29, 25, 25, 36.  Overall felt pretty easy.  Didn't struggle at all with sets 1-4 and struggled with the last 5 or 6 of Set 5 but didn't need to pause.  I'm hoping moving back a week is going to help.  Doing 140 pushups in under 10 minutes is still nothing to sneeze at and I was able to push through fairly easily.  A testament to the program.

@bostonfred  What type of breathing technique were you using (sorry if I missed it)?  With each pushup, I basically take a quick inhale on the way down and a quick exhale on the way up.  I have no idea if that's the way I'm supposed to be doing it.  I was looking at week 6, column 1 and I think you could pretty easily knock that one down next week.  If I were in your shoes, I would just go week 6, column 1 and then repeat week 6 column 2 and then finish with column 3.  Obviously adjust accordingly after each week.  

My plan is to hit Week 5, column 3 next week and then start week 6, column 1 the following week, etc, etc.  Thus, I'm ~ 4 and a half weeks away from completing the challenge (if all goes well).  You're a little bit closer.  But I still don't feel anywhere close to 100 consecutive.  :shrug: 

My breathing is not intentional I just breathe and it works fine until I get to the one where I need more oxygen than I have available right now and my body is like wtf are you doing and I feel like my head is going to explode and that’s when I take a knee.  So basically I'm doing cardio while I'm doing resistance and that can't be good. 

The technique I found in my extensive Google research of one (1) YouTube video was to breathe out hard at the top and then inhale on the way down, so basically what you're doing, or what everyone does when they're doing bench press. But I'm so used to zipping through my first few pushups at high speed that I felt like i was going to hyperventilate from breathing so fast or slow down to the point that I start to wear out from the extra time planking instead of the pushing up and lowering. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bostonfred said:

This sounds like my goal for maintenance mode.  How do things look on the scale?

i rarely weigh myself.  i'll check it out tomorrow.  had a massive thai dinner and beers tonight, so will have some water retention for sure.  but we'll see.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

My breathing is not intentional I just breathe and it works fine until I get to the one where I need more oxygen than I have available right now and my body is like wtf are you doing and I feel like my head is going to explode and that’s when I take a knee.  So basically I'm doing cardio while I'm doing resistance and that can't be good. 

The technique I found in my extensive Google research of one (1) YouTube video was to breathe out hard at the top and then inhale on the way down, so basically what you're doing, or what everyone does when they're doing bench press. But I'm so used to zipping through my first few pushups at high speed that I felt like i was going to hyperventilate from breathing so fast or slow down to the point that I start to wear out from the extra time planking instead of the pushing up and lowering. 

not a dr, blah blah....

i would recommend doing all of your push ups at the same speed.  i don't focus on breathing at all.  i only focus on the form and the rhythm, hey ohhhhh!  the only time i notice my breath, is if i hold it.  big no no.  breathing helps.  a lot  :lmao:  i'm going to try your most recent set tomorrow.

Edited by DA RAIDERS
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

not a dr, blah blah....

i would recommend doing all of your push ups at the same speed.  i don't focus on breathing at all.  i only focus on the form and the rhythm, hey ohhhhh!  the only time i notice my breath, is if i hold it.  big no no.  breathing helps.  a lot  :lmao:  i'm going to try your most recent set tomorrow.

That was my problem. Oops, headrush.

I imagine that doing them at the same speed like you and smart fred will make me realize I have been cheating in some way and I am not as good at pushups as I'd hoped so I will just stick with willful ignorance for now kthx. 

The most recent set should be ok for you... but the hard day 1 week 6 might be the first one where you say no I could not do that.  I am not even trying it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Get a garmin watch then make food decisions based on active calories burned for the day. I started turning the corner post injury Sep 12 and could ramp up the level/quantity of activity - that's about when I took my guard down re what I jam in my pie hole. Averaging 1,262 active calories burned/day since, which puts me at about 3,500 calories/day to maintain. I discovered years ago that it takes a string of drinking days in a row for me to consistently exceed that number - and I can't drink like I used to anymore. As long as my goal is maintain I generally don't adjust as long as my average calories burned are in that range.

• Like 3

Had a bad day yesterday.  Just didn't feel well at all and ate whatever I felt like.  :bag:

However, I was less than 200 calories over my goal.  :clap:

Feeling better today, so going to hit it hard.  Body weight workout and another walk (already walked the dog 1.75 miles). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Get a garmin watch then

join Strava and the Team FFA club.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

15 hours ago, bostonfred said:

183ish  acceptable.  i don't feel as lean as i did at the end of august, but that's probably the booze effect.

• Like 2

@bostonfred   I posted the following YouTube video "Bring Sally Up, Bring Sally Down" pushup challenge in here a while back.  You start in the down position and go up when Sally goes up and down when Sally goes down, etc.  Watch what happens at around 48 seconds :lol:    My previous best was about 40 seconds before falling flat on my face.  Today I made it through 1:15 before falling (and this was near the end of my body combat workout so my arms were already sore).  Our push-up challenge is definitely working.  

Bring Sally Up, Sally Down Push-Up Challenge

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

42 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

@bostonfred   I posted the following YouTube video "Bring Sally Up, Bring Sally Down" pushup challenge in here a while back.  You start in the down position and go up when Sally goes up and down when Sally goes down, etc.  Watch what happens at around 48 seconds :lol:    My previous best was about 40 seconds before falling flat on my face.  Today I made it through 1:15 before falling (and this was near the end of my body combat workout so my arms were already sore).  Our push-up challenge is definitely working.  

Bring Sally Up, Sally Down Push-Up Challenge

Yeah finally tried this and regret not not trying it longer. I could have gone a lifetime without confirmation that I can't do things that 18 year old marines struggle to do physically. I already ####### knew that. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

i did a walk for two hours and sixola minuten this morning and i am feeling pretty good ate well to so one more day until i weigh myself tomorrow take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Yeah finally tried this and regret not not trying it longer. I could have gone a lifetime without confirmation that I can't do things that 18 year old marines struggle to do physically. I already ####### knew that. 

This will be my next challenge after I finish the current push-up challenge.  Of course I'm going to do it independent of Body Combat.  Goal is to complete the 3:00.

• Thinking 1

No alcohol. Did some walking but was too tired to go for a run. Still ended up about 80 calories under goal without counting the walking.  Hoping to wake up tomorrow or the day after to see I'm within 5 lbs of my goal but we'll see. 

47 days down,  18 to go, 5.6 to goal 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

@bostonfred  i realized i didn't really answer your question, about maintenance.  

yes, would be the answer.  

some form of hike/walk/run/yoga, at least 3+ miles or 45 minute+ yoga.   plus some strength training, pushups/squats/lunges/etc.  4-6 times a week(both cardio and strength); is enough exercise, for me, to eat what i want, more or less. and have a few drinks, most nights.  all the while, maintaining my weight between 180-185.  i'm pretty muscular and have a fantastic metabolism.   i prefer to stay closer to 180.  and maybe some day, i'll turn the screws and drop into the 170's .

i like the way i look.  my numbers are pretty damn good.  i could drink less.  but,  i'm currently teaching 9th grade.  :wall:

Edited by DA RAIDERS
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I know I only lost a pound since my last weigh in,, but this was originally going to be my goal weight, before I did the math and realized I could stretch and get 5 more by my birthday if i really pushed..  I know this probably seems like death taxes and fred saying he hit his calorie goal for the day, but each day I'm doing this is real effort on my part, and seeing that I can set my goal at 2 lb per week and then actually lose 2 lb in a week has been unbelievably cool.  

Actually seeing the number on the scale was like Christmas morning as a kid. Like this is something I really wanted and now I'm looking at it. But also, that realization that this is real, and I get to have it tomorrow and the day after and the day after that, too.  

I feel like part of what I am doing is recording this for myself but also to share what the experience is like for other people who are looking for some motivation. In short: today is a good day.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Week 5 day 3:

Set 1 47:

Done. One minute into 3 minutes of rest and still breathing somewhat heavily, but feeling most excellent about how I was able to crank them out. 

Set 2 38:

Done. Started feeling it a bit around 30, but didn't adjust pace or anything. Of note, I likely A) go to fast and B) don't go down far enough, sue me. Have a couple old shoulder/collarbone injuries whereby getting nose all the way to the floor doesn't feel great. 1:30 left of rest, lessgo. 

Set 3 34:

Oof. Last 4 were tough. Found myself thinking most about BostonFred and if I was breathing right. Decided y'all be overthinking it. Also chuckled at trying to automate how many I was doing. Counting ain't that hard. Two more sets. Bit nervous - 4th one is usually where I hit a bit of a wall. 

Set 4 33:

Boom. Took slightly over 3 minutes rest in order to find the proper track. "Call Me"  by shinedown. Not bad. One more. 30 is the goal. Boss just called - might get more rest here :)

Set 5 29+:

Twenty minute phone call so should have some juice left. Hoping for 40. Update: 50. 

• Like 4

i have crushed it this week so far walking and or biking twice every day and coming in like a thousand colories plus under my goal every day i will step on the scale tonight and see where things are but i think i should be losing weight this week no booze in about two months now helps not only from the dead calories standpoint but also from the not losing control and eating after boozing and also from the not worrying about who i have to apologize to the next morning standpoint take that to the bank brohans 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, eaganwildcats said:

Week 5 day 3:

Set 1 47:

Done. One minute into 3 minutes of rest and still breathing somewhat heavily, but feeling most excellent about how I was able to crank them out. 

Set 2 38:

Done. Started feeling it a bit around 30, but didn't adjust pace or anything. Of note, I likely A) go to fast and B) don't go down far enough, sue me. Have a couple old shoulder/collarbone injuries whereby getting nose all the way to the floor doesn't feel great. 1:30 left of rest, lessgo. 

Set 3 34:

Oof. Last 4 were tough. Found myself thinking most about BostonFred and if I was breathing right. Decided y'all be overthinking it. Also chuckled at trying to automate how many I was doing. Counting ain't that hard. Two more sets. Bit nervous - 4th one is usually where I hit a bit of a wall. 

Set 4 33:

Boom. Took slightly over 3 minutes rest in order to find the proper track. "Call Me"  by shinedown. Not bad. One more. 30 is the goal. Boss just called - might get more rest here :)

Set 5 29+:

Twenty minute phone call so should have some juice left. Hoping for 40. Update: 50. 

Yeah this is definitely not the same program @fred_1_15301 and I are doing, and it looks even harder at this point so I don't need a link lol

Looks like you are killing it if you can just bang out 50 at the end of that many. Nice work. 

45 minutes ago, SWC said:

i have crushed it this week so far walking and or biking twice every day and coming in like a thousand colories plus under my goal every day i will step on the scale tonight and see where things are but i think i should be losing weight this week no booze in about two months now helps not only from the dead calories standpoint but also from the not losing control and eating after boozing and also from the not worrying about who i have to apologize to the next morning standpoint take that to the bank brohans 

I love that I can't tell if this is a typo

• Thanks 1

Just now, bostonfred said:
45 minutes ago, SWC said:

I love that I can't tell if this is a typo

thats how i getchya fredhan i drag you down to my level and bamboozle you with a flood of errors and bs around these parts my lady just calls it gettin swcd take that to the bank bromigo 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, eaganwildcats said:

Week 5 day 3:

Set 1 47:

Set 2 38:

Set 3 34:

Set 4 33:

Set 5 29+:

Wow impressive!

• Like 1

On our way to the Finger Lakes but will get my pushups in tonight 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

Yeah this is definitely not the same program @fred_1_15301 and I are doing, and it looks even harder at this point so I don't need a link lol

Looks like you are killing it if you can just bang out 50 at the end of that many. Nice work. 

50 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Wow impressive!

My wife after I bragged about this: "you don't look stronger". smh.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Cigars are calorie free right? Because I am sitting on my patio with a stogie. 

Sure it doesn't fit with the overall health vibes in this thread, but I work hard so I can have fun occasionally. 

Did my body weight workout today and got a decent number of steps. Still have like 1300 calories left today. 

I made it ten days with no booze, this may be the end of the dry out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Sure it doesn't fit with the overall health vibes in this thread, but I work hard so I can have fun occasionally. 

Did my body weight workout today and got a decent number of steps. Still have like 1300 calories left today. 

Dude nice work recently and yes this thread actually has a cigar smoker workout warrior somewhere I'm trying to remember who

• Like 1

Stayed under calories all day and had some shrimp for lunch which is like main lining protein so my macros look good.  Had enough calories left over to celebrate with some pizza and a chocolate chip cookie for dinner/ dessert. 

48 days down 17 to go and less than 5 lbs to goal.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Light it up!  

I work out in order to enjoy life. 

• Like 2