What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (18 Viewers)

Ran a 5k this morning. Got chick fil a with the kid today which made both of us unreasonably happy. Took a long walk around Boston (with masks on, staying away from people) and got to enjoy the fall colors. For the most part we've avoided takeout/drive thru and crowded areas so this was a big deal for him. Now he's taking a bath without complaining which is a big deal for me. I enjoyed eating too much the last two days... today, I didn't log my calories but I've got a good feel for where I'm at and i can have a glass or two and some cheese and crackers and stay around maintenance for the day. I'll try not to gain too much back the next few days, then start working on a new set of goals. Hopefully I can lure some of you fine people into joining me again because that makes it more fun. 

Ran a 5k this morning. Got chick fil a with the kid today which made both of us unreasonably happy. Took a long walk around Boston (with masks on, staying away from people) and got to enjoy the fall colors. For the most part we've avoided takeout/drive thru and crowded areas so this was a big deal for him. Now he's taking a bath without complaining which is a big deal for me. I enjoyed eating too much the last two days... today, I didn't log my calories but I've got a good feel for where I'm at and i can have a glass or two and some cheese and crackers and stay around maintenance for the day. I'll try not to gain too much back the next few days, then start working on a new set of goals. Hopefully I can lure some of you fine people into joining me again because that makes it more fun. 
I’m in for whatever (sans quitting booze completely)

Logged 5 miles of hike/walk/run today. I love getting out there. 2 days in a row.  3 miles yesterday. 

Congrats on the pushups gents!  I tweaked my wrist last week, so have done zero pushups, recently.  Gonna test it out tomorrow. Really want to do the week 6 and the 100 straight with you guys. 

Headed to the USVI on Tuesday, for a week. Gonna walk/run/hike a bunch, and do a ton of swimming.  If my wrist allows it, lots of pushups as well. 

Also going to eat and drink everyting!  Really looking forward to it!   Splurged on a really nice place, gonna RELAX, big time. 

Shocker - I took an extra day rest from the pushup challenge (although did quite a few yesterday with my hour long body combat) so will finish day 3 tomorrow.  Good luck tomorrow   @bostonfred

Had too many calories Saturday and Sunday.  (By just a few hundred, not like Otis with a bunch of cookies.)

Going to hit it hard this week to finish up the month.  It's going to be cold/wet early this week and I hate the treadmill.  This is going to take extra willpower.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Good Morning and hello to all my Health Peeps. I have been away for a month or two from posting much in here but I wanted to see if I could do some of this without checking in daily. 

-I am at about the same weight as when I bottomed out, my frame is not one as I age that holds weight very well. Meaning if I am not dieting and exercising regularly I get weight that accumulates in that belly area and I hate it. I have many things going for me that make it easier for me to maintain and lose weight, it's not easy by any stretch but I don't feel sorry for myself at all, others have it a lot harder than I do. I look at it as an obligation/duty since I have the ability to try and put forth a healthy front and be an example to others and ready to help people that raise their hands, I have pictures of me at 40-44 inch waist from years back so folks will believe me that I fought weight just like them. 

-I have had a break thru with Mrs and just to be open with you all, I wasn't sure we were going to make it. My weight loss put an unattended strain on the relationship during the summer months and I didn't know what to say to you all or how to discuss. I never boasted around my wife, and I tried to stay away from people we know, etc...but she studied what I was doing even when I wasn't running/cycling/tennis every day every other day...she noticed that I don't eat at night because I don't buy snacks outside of yogurt/cereal/fruit and I also tend not to eat first thing in the morning, I like to eat lunch and also an early lighter dinner. We found out there's a name for this, you all know it as INTERMITTEN(Kitten) Fasting 😉. and my wife has dropped quite a few pounds in a short time frame. We are going to a wedding 1st weekend in November on St Pete Beach and wanted to look our best. 

-I have not been running as much as I would like but the weather is starting to get nicer around here when it's not raining and humid form the Caribbean Waves, oh the agony of South Florida 😆 

-I am still very grateful to this little community of folks who seem to find common ground thru positive exercise and eating, I think it's fundamental in day to day happiness to feed yourself and nourish yourself in a positive way. I do pass on a lot of food and it's not always easy but I think about how far I've come and how much I enjoy the freedom you gain by being in decent health and that usually is enough to thank someone for the offer and just move along. 

I hope everyone of you is doing well, I'l scroll and catch up.  You can find me in the Shark Pool swimming around trying to figure out the zany NFL this season. 

I honor you all by not letting myself go back, I'll stop before I go on a long diatribe but thank you to each and every one of you that encouraged me to go for it and keep at it, more to share but this is good for now. 

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had too many calories Saturday and Sunday.  (By just a few hundred, not like Otis with a bunch of cookies.)

Going to hit it hard this week to finish up the month.  It's going to be cold/wet early this week and I hate the treadmill.  This is going to take extra willpower.
I tend to open up the menu for what i will eat when i am home watching football. I love pizza and just about everything that can be had under that umbrella. 

I made my first "Garlic bread Pizza" and it's loaded with bad things but the portion was within range. I take a 9" hoagie roll, you could try a 12" as well, cut it open and spread Kerrygold Garlic n Herb butter all over the bread but not 2 inches thick, not too heavy but cover the bread with it. Next I use some country style mozzarella by Tillamook, and you don't need a lot to cover the bread, I add sandwich style pepperoni slices on top(little more Mozz on top) and bake it in the oven for about 10 min at 375, open up a little jar of Rao's to dip it in...lot better than a full blown pizza and you feel like you are breaking all the rules. 

Healthy? Not really but you don't feel nearly as guilty the next morning on Monday. The rest of the week or at least the next few days I won't eat anything else like that, probably until next Sunday while I am watching my Miami Dolphins. 

I tend to open up the menu for what i will eat when i am home watching football. I love pizza and just about everything that can be had under that umbrella. 

I made my first "Garlic bread Pizza" and it's loaded with bad things but the portion was within range. I take a 9" hoagie roll, you could try a 12" as well, cut it open and spread Kerrygold Garlic n Herb butter all over the bread but not 2 inches thick, not too heavy but cover the bread with it. Next I use some country style mozzarella by Tillamook, and you don't need a lot to cover the bread, I add sandwich style pepperoni slices on top(little more Mozz on top) and bake it in the oven for about 10 min at 375, open up a little jar of Rao's to dip it in...lot better than a full blown pizza and you feel like you are breaking all the rules. 

Healthy? Not really but you don't feel nearly as guilty the next morning on Monday. The rest of the week or at least the next few days I won't eat anything else like that, probably until next Sunday while I am watching my Miami Dolphins. 
I do little cheats like this from time to time.  Like I made nachos the other day.  Measured out one serving of chips and one serving of cheese.  Ate with salsa.  Under 300 calories and felt luxurious.  

The weather turned nasty midday, but I made myself get out there this evening because tomorrow promises to be worse and I don't want to skip two days. The third and fourth fingers of my left hand, and that side of my hand, are still ice-cold ten minutes later. Peripheral circulation is hot garbage.

Just finished week 6, day 3 of pushup challenge (column 2) - 22, 22, 30, 30, 25, 25, 18, 18, 55.  I started to feel it at the 2nd set of 30.  On the last set, I think my form was a off but I finished them (with several pauses).  I'll take a few days off and repeat week 6 column 3.  I'm looking forward to being done with this challenge so that I can move on to my other workouts (and still continue with pushups).

i continue to keep on keepin on and stay in a 5 lb range normally a little higher on monday and a little lower by friday i am now about two months without a booze and that is helping keep me low still have a bmi right at 23 and stuff is good i appreciate this thread and checking in from time to time and you all keep me motivated with your stories and work keep it up take that to the bank fellow bromericans 

fred_1_15301 said:
Just finished week 6, day 3 of pushup challenge (column 2) - 22, 22, 30, 30, 25, 25, 18, 18, 55.  I started to feel it at the 2nd set of 30.  On the last set, I think my form was a off but I finished them (with several pauses).  I'll take a few days off and repeat week 6 column 3.  I'm looking forward to being done with this challenge so that I can move on to my other workouts (and still continue with pushups).
Hey so if you are serious about hitting 100 on your first try I'm just gonna suggest not ending a two month alcohol free diet with what can only be called a bender at this pointi. I got through about 50 three times before quitting each time

75% of the way the islands..and no drinks.  Thanks Covid. Airport bar was closed and only the people up front were served any booze.  On the last leg now. No beverage service at all.

That had to save me 750 calories. Min8mum. Winning?  

I see a rum drink in my future. 

Haven't been doing super specific exercise outside of just trying to be "active" most days. 231.8 this AM so feeling good about that. Bout 2 weeks before I become a peloton nerd. @bostonfred I'd be down for some sort of "number of days exercising" challenge between mid-November and the new year. Or something else :)

So, no working out the past two days due to PSPS event in Cali and not wanting to be stank stank with no shower. Did a hour long walk yesterday that was nice. Any advice on the order of doing pushups and yoga? I like how yoga loosens up my shoulders for the pushups, but it also builds in fatigue before I start. Pushups have always been terrible for me when I have had to do them on my own. In a class somewhere, bam, it's all good. On my own, meh. I'm glad we have power back :) .

So, no working out the past two days due to PSPS event in Cali and not wanting to be stank stank with no shower. Did a hour long walk yesterday that was nice. Any advice on the order of doing pushups and yoga? I like how yoga loosens up my shoulders for the pushups, but it also builds in fatigue before I start. Pushups have always been terrible for me when I have had to do them on my own. In a class somewhere, bam, it's all good. On my own, meh. I'm glad we have power back :) .
Yoga first is probably better to start. If its a heavy arm day in yoga it will be noticeable and you might need to take an extra rest day, but having sore arms when she starts in on runners lunge to plank to chataranga is brutal. 

Update

- I did a zoom with an old friend who had last seen me at my peak weight, and she couldn't believe it. She sent me a picture of us together from two years ago and I couldn't believe it. I am embarrassed I let myself get as fat as I did and I feel so much better now both mentally and physically. I'm not looking to become a fitness nerd for life, but talking to someone who was genuinely shocked and happy for me was a good reminder that this is worth it and that even though I'm not done, I'm in control of this and can just... decide.... to improve my life. 

- From a diet perspective I want to build muscle for a while so I'll be up from 1500 net calories a day to 2400 plus with emphasis on protein and fiber, at least for a little while. I may still try to lose a couple pounds but my next big cut will probably be for New year's. 

- I'm on board with a new challenge, if people are interested in exercise I am open to a bunch of ideas, yoga, some other class like body combat, practicing to do a real pullup, doing core every day, keeping up with the pushups, rowing, running... I'll probably do a bunch of things but I'm open to ideas for a formal goal/challenge. 

- my wife knew I wanted a rower, so she bought me a cheap one for my birthday (sunny health and fitness, about 250 bucks I think) that uses magnetic resistance. I've given it a good try and it is not as good as the concept2, but it's quiet and worked well enough when I tried it. I'm one week away from my turn on the concept2 wait list so I guess I'll try it out before deciding. Did 20 minutes today and felt pretty good after.  Will need to invest in a better seat if I'm keeping it. 

- no alcohol today, and stayed under 1k calories as i get back on the health kick. I'm not going to stay that low or quit alcohol again, but wanted to jump start my detox after a fun week of binging.  

- @Otis let's do this together. There's less than a month between now and Thanksgiving, and Monday is November 1st. You can do 3.5 weeks. 

Haven't been doing super specific exercise outside of just trying to be "active" most days. 231.8 this AM so feeling good about that. Bout 2 weeks before I become a peloton nerd. @bostonfred I'd be down for some sort of "number of days exercising" challenge between mid-November and the new year. Or something else :)
I'm rowing and running, you're rowing and biking, we could do something with cross training if that's your goal. Maybe a certain amount of time per week? Or something with non cardio exercises. What are your goals? Cutting weight or adding muscle or doing cardio or ?

Just completed Week 6, Day 1 (column 3) of pushup challenge - 45, 55, 35, 30, 55.  Today was just a flat out struggle after the first set.  I made it through set 2 but it was a grind.  Set 3 was also hard.  I pushed through set 4 ok but set 5 killed me (I knew before I even started that I wasn't getting through it).  I made it to 35 and hit the knees.  Took about a 4 second break, continued and on my knees again at 48.  Took a few seconds again and pushed through the last 7.  I probably should have taken an extra day of rest but not sure that would have made much of a difference.  This was by far the hardest day.  Honestly you have to be an athlete to complete this one.

Update

- I did a zoom with an old friend who had last seen me at my peak weight, and she couldn't believe it. She sent me a picture of us together from two years ago and I couldn't believe it. I am embarrassed I let myself get as fat as I did and I feel so much better now both mentally and physically. I'm not looking to become a fitness nerd for life, but talking to someone who was genuinely shocked and happy for me was a good reminder that this is worth it and that even though I'm not done, I'm in control of this and can just... decide.... to improve my life. 

- From a diet perspective I want to build muscle for a while so I'll be up from 1500 net calories a day to 2400 plus with emphasis on protein and fiber, at least for a little while. I may still try to lose a couple pounds but my next big cut will probably be for New year's. 

- I'm on board with a new challenge, if people are interested in exercise I am open to a bunch of ideas, yoga, some other class like body combat, practicing to do a real pullup, doing core every day, keeping up with the pushups, rowing, running... I'll probably do a bunch of things but I'm open to ideas for a formal goal/challenge. 

- my wife knew I wanted a rower, so she bought me a cheap one for my birthday (sunny health and fitness, about 250 bucks I think) that uses magnetic resistance. I've given it a good try and it is not as good as the concept2, but it's quiet and worked well enough when I tried it. I'm one week away from my turn on the concept2 wait list so I guess I'll try it out before deciding. Did 20 minutes today and felt pretty good after.  Will need to invest in a better seat if I'm keeping it. 

- no alcohol today, and stayed under 1k calories as i get back on the health kick. I'm not going to stay that low or quit alcohol again, but wanted to jump start my detox after a fun week of binging.  

- @Otis let's do this together. There's less than a month between now and Thanksgiving, and Monday is November 1st. You can do 3.5 weeks. 
I’m in GB. I’ve been targeting Monday for the start of a healthy run too. It’s damn time. I actually have a court hearing in the first week of December and I’d like to be able to fit in my suits for that, so my plan will probably involve a reprieve for Thanksgiving weekend but otherwise pushing right through after that for another couple weeks. And then we’ll see where that leads.  Heck, maybe for a change we’ll have some momentum BEFORE New Years.  And I’M happy to have a rowing partner too, I haven’t done squat in weeks and feel pretty crappy. 

Just completed Week 6, Day 1 (column 3) of pushup challenge - 45, 55, 35, 30, 55.  Today was just a flat out struggle after the first set.  I made it through set 2 but it was a grind.  Set 3 was also hard.  I pushed through set 4 ok but set 5 killed me (I knew before I even started that I wasn't getting through it).  I made it to 35 and hit the knees.  Took about a 4 second break, continued and on my knees again at 48.  Took a few seconds again and pushed through the last 7.  I probably should have taken an extra day of rest but not sure that would have made much of a difference.  This was by far the hardest day.  Honestly you have to be an athlete to complete this one.
This sounds a lot like my experience with day 1. 

I’m in GB. I’ve been targeting Monday for the start of a healthy run too. It’s damn time. I actually have a court hearing in the first week of December and I’d like to be able to fit in my suits for that, so my plan will probably involve a reprieve for Thanksgiving weekend but otherwise pushing right through after that for another couple weeks. And then we’ll see where that leads.  Heck, maybe for a change we’ll have some momentum BEFORE New Years.  And I’M happy to have a rowing partner too, I haven’t done squat in weeks and feel pretty crappy. 
Let's not talk about new year's yet. Let's focus on 24 days of November, and the goal of looking good in a suit. Are you going to track calories? Keto? Something else?  Are you up for giving up booze for that long?

Let's not talk about new year's yet. Let's focus on 24 days of November, and the goal of looking good in a suit. Are you going to track calories? Keto? Something else?  Are you up for giving up booze for that long?
I’m thinking keto is my best bet. It’s probably the lowest maintanance and easiest to follow for me, and I can have a scotch without going off the rails. What makes it work for me is that there are clear and simple rules. Sort of like the potato heck. Hell, maybe I should do that again....

You've had momentum before new years before. Mid fall until late winter is generally a good stretch for you - with a few obvious exceptions. You just undo that progress between early spring and early fall. Every year. 

Update

That's is always a awesome feeling! If you don't mind me asking, what did you start at? I was away from FBGs for a long while and only recently found it again and remember how much I enjoy the boards, so the notebook is a little light. 

I love rowing as well. Great full body exercise that I find passes the time nicely.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for cardio/muscle work that isn't a treadmill. Keep up the good work!

Last question/comment. What do you do to calculate your base macro intakes. Cal/Pro/Fib  to start. I do Goal Weight x 12 for calories and it has been working nicely.  Protein x .65 mainly because we get a lot of our protein from lentils/beans as the wife is not huge into most animal proteins (I make it on the side for me sometimes). Then fiber is always a issue. But, I love me some fats as try and stay around 70 with using EVOO and infused olive oil (tuscan herb is the bomb) and vineger(apricot/cran-pear/sweet white) everyday.  Now I'm rambling, have a good day, keep up the good work.

@Otis You can do it man! I just got Unialias from Gears 1 days to start the first Yoga with Adrienne. He has never done yoga in his life and loved day 1.  He also has blown out his achilles  a few times so yoga is perfect low impact. Same goes for me with busting my knee two years ago.  Yoga  and spinning make it the best its felt since I was like 8, when I first had a grade 2 sprain on it(it has been trouble ever since).

As for the snacking, eat yo snacks, just preemptive account for them. It works.

That's is always a awesome feeling! If you don't mind me asking, what did you start at? I was away from FBGs for a long while and only recently found it again and remember how much I enjoy the boards, so the notebook is a little light. 

I love rowing as well. Great full body exercise that I find passes the time nicely.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for cardio/muscle work that isn't a treadmill. Keep up the good work!

Last question/comment. What do you do to calculate your base macro intakes. Cal/Pro/Fib  to start. I do Goal Weight x 12 for calories and it has been working nicely.  Protein x .65 mainly because we get a lot of our protein from lentils/beans as the wife is not huge into most animal proteins (I make it on the side for me sometimes). Then fiber is always a issue. But, I love me some fats as try and stay around 70 with using EVOO and infused olive oil (tuscan herb is the bomb) and vineger(apricot/cran-pear/sweet white) everyday.  Now I'm rambling, have a good day, keep up the good work.
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/743200-otis-fad-diet-thread-—-now-with-less-fad-diet-and-less-bfred-he’s-losing-weight/?do=findComment&comment=22990511

I hit my short term goal weight of 219.6 last week, a little early for my goal of doing it before my birthday. Had some nice cheat meals and lots of wine, and really enjoyed making poor decisions for a while, and now I'm back. 

I use myfitnesspal and set it to sedentary, but I eat back my exercise calories. That does a pretty good job for me and I lose almost exactly 2lbs/week when I set it to 2 lbs/week. I'm not really sedentary, but this way I feel like it encourages me to exercise more and that's helped me to make it a habit. 

For my macros, I am trying to get 25g fiber a day between oatmeal, broccoli, salads, maybe some squash or fruit. Now that I'm moving from cut to bulk for a little bit, I'll have more berries and make protein shakes. Raspberries in particular are awesome for fiber. Also excited to make some butternut squash and turkey chili. 

Protein I'm going to target about .8g per lb body weight while I'm bulking, so for me thats 176g.  Protein shakes, chicken breast, ground turkey, and skyr yogurt make up a lot of it.  It's hard to get 176g without shakes. Until then I'm a little lower, like .5g per lb or 110g, and that's entirely diet. 

I'm not a nutrition expert or doctor, and this is just what I'm doing based on what I've read recently. Would appreciate any advice. 

Set of 50 pushups, some curls, inverted row pullup thingies, and some rowing.  Definitely need a new seat if I'm going to keep this thing or I'll be a regular in the hemorrhoid thread.  143g protein, 19g fiber and two glasses of wine.  

Can someone explain the benefit of the concept2?  Like it definitely doesn't have the bells and whistles - i get number of strokes, total time and a crappy calorie estimate - but it seems like a decent workout. Is it worth the extra 700 dollars?  

I know nothing about rowers, and precious little about wives, but I think bfred should buy a new seat and wear out his birthday present from his wife. If it is a crappy machine, in six months he'll be able to say "Honey, this thing is going to injure me" and it will be mostly true.

Yoga sucked last night. I am a huge morning workout person but my schedule has been shifted to 6:30AM start. I also had to go into the office yesterday and do a full grocery shopping afterwards. Got home made veggie fried rice for the first time (delicious) and it was already late. Wifey was already heading for bed as I rolled out the two yoga mats. One for me, one for the cats.  Our big Siberian likes the poses where you put your arms in the air overhead as he tries to copy. Got it done with him dragging away my phone by the kickstand only twice, not bad. My back was feeling rough today as the good old ceramics injury flared up again this morning, so yoga felt really nice on it.

kevzilla said:
I know nothing about rowers, and precious little about wives, but I think bfred should buy a new seat and wear out his birthday present from his wife. If it is a crappy machine, in six months he'll be able to say "Honey, this thing is going to injure me" and it will be mostly true.
Smart play here. If you use it enough bfred, then the workload on it will justify the upgrade. By then you will appreciate the difference as well. Kinda like how the wife and I just upgraded our spin bike to the clip ins and splurged on good shoes instead of cheaper pairs. We truly understood the quality difference. That makes it easier to justify and you will have used the lower end model to satisfy the wife, and possibly resell it for decent money still.

Smart play here. If you use it enough bfred, then the workload on it will justify the upgrade. By then you will appreciate the difference as well. Kinda like how the wife and I just upgraded our spin bike to the clip ins and splurged on good shoes instead of cheaper pairs. We truly understood the quality difference. That makes it easier to justify and you will have used the lower end model to satisfy the wife, and possibly resell it for decent money still.
What kind of bike do you have?  We recently bought a Keiser spinning bike.  My wife bought those spinning shoes with the clip ins.  I haven't done it yet but wondering how much of a difference it makes compared to my normal sneakers.

What kind of bike do you have?  We recently bought a Keiser spinning bike.  My wife bought those spinning shoes with the clip ins.  I haven't done it yet but wondering how much of a difference it makes compared to my normal sneakers.
We bought the Joroto X2 off of Amazon. It is one of the cheaper magnetic spin bikes but has been fantastic and actually three sets of friends of ours have bought as well after following my wife's IG posts on it. We went with magnetic because it is so much silenter than belt driven. We couldn't pay the price of a Peloton yet so it made sense. It came with the cage pedals and that worked great. It was a little rough on the bottoms of your shoes if you have soft cross trainers.

The cages made it so you mostly used your quads and did not get as much use out of the back and up sections of the pedal cycle. So, you didn't use your hammies and calves nearly as much. The clip ins made a huge difference on feeling secure and made the whole exercise tougher because you used more muscles. Also, out of the saddle you could go harder and it was easier to do so. It's just more functional.

The clip in shoes are worth it if your going to use them, but make sure to get the correct clip as there are two types I have been told. It also will not wear out your normal athletic shoe soles nearly as much.

Sneakers are specifically designed to bend with your foot so you can use the muscles of your foot to absorb shock and then propel you forward. 

Cycling shoes are specifically designed to be stiff so you can drive the pedal down with each stroke, and sometimes even pull up on the clip/clipless pedal. 

When you use your sneakers on a bike, your feet get sore before your legs because you are using your foot muscles to stabilize the pedal every single time you push down. Your foot wraps around the pedal like a claw (obviously not that extreme) and you have to push it a little forward at the top of your pedal stroke and a little back later on.  It's exhausting just thinking about all that extra work. 

I had a friend who is a world class runner and she was struggling with cross training because she didn't wear the right shoes.  We talked and she tried wearing the right shoes and said it made a huge difference for her. 

kevzilla said:
Dude.

Good. 

Call.

Sneakers are specifically designed to bend with your foot so you can use the muscles of your foot to absorb shock and then propel you forward. 

Cycling shoes are specifically designed to be stiff so you can drive the pedal down with each stroke, and sometimes even pull up on the clip/clipless pedal. 

When you use your sneakers on a bike, your feet get sore before your legs because you are using your foot muscles to stabilize the pedal every single time you push down. Your foot wraps around the pedal like a claw (obviously not that extreme) and you have to push it a little forward at the top of your pedal stroke and a little back later on.  It's exhausting just thinking about all that extra work. 

I had a friend who is a world class runner and she was struggling with cross training because she didn't wear the right shoes.  We talked and she tried wearing the right shoes and said it made a huge difference for her. 
Thanks I think I will buy spinning shoes.  My wife has done a fair bit of spinning and she raves about them. 

Probably unrelated but since I started going on that bike, I notice that during body combat, when I do side kicks with my right leg I feel a slight pop in the joint.  It only happens when I kick hard (which I don't do on that side anymore).  Maybe not related but frustrating as I used to be able to do powerful kicks on both sides (now only on the left).  

ETA - I don't bike often.  Usually just when I'm watching a football game.

Thanks I think I will buy spinning shoes.  My wife has done a fair bit of spinning and she raves about them. 

Probably unrelated but since I started going on that bike, I notice that during body combat, when I do side kicks with my right leg I feel a slight pop in the joint.  It only happens when I kick hard (which I don't do on that side anymore).  Maybe not related but frustrating as I used to be able to do powerful kicks on both sides (now only on the left).  

ETA - I don't bike often.  Usually just when I'm watching a football game.
That could be that your knee is wobbling at the top of your rotation because you aren't fit right for your bike.  It does that because your foot and knee go up together for most of the rotation but then there's not quite enough room for your knee to go up anymore so as your foot gets to the very top your knee kind of kicks outside and becomes the hypotenuse instead of the height. 

It could also be that you're locking at the bottom of the rotation. When you're sitting and spinning, if you feel like your knee is comppetely straight when your foot is at the bottom, you're too high, and you can f up your knee badly if you do it long enough, 

The fact it's happening in one knee but not the other could be a form issue or you might just hang your #### to the left so you kind of pedal more to the right.  Don't post pictures/videos unless you want scathing **** analysis. 

There’s several measurements involved in fitting your bike and a lot of them (but not all of them) are adjustable. Seat height is big but also how far forward/back your saddle is can make a huge difference, and your handlebars can be adjusted to change the shape you make with your back and arms. 

Do some googling on "how to fit kit bicycle" if you're using a real bike on a trainer, or search for your bike's manufacturer instructions if you are using a spinning bike or "exercise bike". 

In summary - I have no ####### clue what I’m doing on this bike and this lack of awareness has the potential to cause some serious damage (which may have already started).  Thanks for the tips guys.  Will do a little more research here.

Users who are viewing this thread