What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Football Advice (1 Viewer)

twistd

Footballguy
I'm drafting my first dynasty team in a dynasty start up in June. I joined UTH for dynasty advice. I know that Rotoviz has a lot of good dynasty articles. What other dynasty sites are you guys using? UTH has a trade calculator. Any other options for a dynasty trade calculator that anyone has used and been happy with? 

Here is some nice analysis about player career curves. Some decent discussion about that in the rest of the thread in parts amidst a bunch of WDID questions.

As always take the information presented and decide for yourself. Be careful of people trying to tell you how to manage your team.It's your team, run it how you want.

When we did our startup I just googled many Dynasty rankings to see where people thought players should go and I based my big board off that.  It was 3 years ago, but I valued rookies way more than other people who seemed to go for proven vets first.  I got Mike Evans in the 4th and Beckham in the 8th, 0 regrets (Also grabbed Ellington and C. Patterson before Bell and AB were drafted but we won't talk about that).  The biggest help was to see approximately where players "should" go, and to use that to form a board.

WRs are becoming more and more valuable as our league shifts to passing and RBs have shorter careers.  Right now Beckham would be the consensus choice at #1.

Draft players you enjoy watching. Draft players you like. 

Reach if you have to. 

Not much worse than being stuck w a team of guys you cant stand to watch

Also, value the TE.  Get one of the top 4-5 guys because they last a long time and can make a 5-10 pt difference week to week if someone has a weak TE.

twistd: Is it a Money League? If so, how much ($, $$, $$$)?

Is it a local in-person League of friends/acquaintances, or an online League of people you only know from FF?

There's a strategy-based reason I'm asking: I've been playing FF for almost 25 years, and in that time, outside of FBG-based No Mercy Leagues, I've only played in money Leagues, and so any advice I have to give is based primarily around the goal of winning money.

Whether you're playing locally or online, there's always some degree of uncertainty regarding whether or not a Dynasty League will continue, or disband, from year to year. Dynasty isn't for everyone, and, especially locally, after the initial gleam has worn off and some lukewarm Owners have dropped by the wayside, the pool of quality replacement Owners, already likely shallow, can dry up rather quickly, and a League can only shrink so much before it ceases to be viable. It usually takes at least 3 Seasons to see if a Dynasty League is going to 'make it' or not. In a free or low-stakes $ League, your primary investment is going to be time, so if a League disbands, it's not much of an issue. Your options are limitless, and you can certainly try to focus on young players/development and all the fun things Dynasty provides. However, when the stakes start getting up in the $$ or $$$ range, there's a significant financial risk involved with building a Team that can win money consistently (in terms of the # of Seasons this might require, depending on how well you do in the inaugural draft/auction), and nothing sucks more than starting out 'in the hole' or digging one that requires a significant amount of money (seasons) to dig out of. When involved in a $$ or $$$ start-up, my primary goal would be treat Season 1, and maybe Season 2, like a redraft League, and channel your energy into winning as much money right out of the gates as possible. You can scoop productive, older Players at bargain prices as everyone chases all the hot young unproven/flash-in-the-pan talent, while you 'win now'. So, in a worst-case scenario, if the League disbands after a few seasons, at least you have something to show for your efforts. Meanwhile, if the League lasts, you're in the catbirds seat for building a real 'dynasty'- most Leagues I've been involved in, the payout for Championship or Runner up is equal to several years worth of Entry Fees. You pocket that kind of cash in Year 1 and Year 2, then hold a 'fire sale' of all your veteran assets to build up your war chest, and it costs you nothing out-of-pocket to put a 3-5 year plan in place to build a proper Dynasty from the ground up that will be a long-haul consistent winner.

Good Luck...and if possible, encourage your League to use an Auction Format for the initial disbursement of Players. Not only will it allow each Owner access to every Player, and uniquely build a Team based on their own personal goals and strategy, but if you choose to follow my advice, you have even better odds of constructing a veteran-laden team that can crush the first few seasons, because most Owners will place way too high a premium on rookies and young players and waste their money on building a developmental Team as opposed to one designed to 'win now'.

Don't draft for this upcoming season. You shouldn't even be considering guys like AP, Brady, Jordy. Grab best available YOUNG RBs and WRs in the early rounds and make sure to draft a young QB who can grow into a weekly starter, like Bortles, Carr, Mariota, Winston.

Don't draft for this upcoming season. You shouldn't even be considering guys like AP, Brady, Jordy. Grab best available YOUNG RBs and WRs in the early rounds and make sure to draft a young QB who can grow into a weekly starter, like Bortles, Carr, Mariota, Winston.
I think to a point, but there's always a place where the value is worth it.  I agree very much so that youth is a big deciding factor on value.  But I'd rather have Brady in the 12th than Bortles in the 7th.  You get a top QB for 2-4 years and can trade or draft at another date for another QB.  I've heard that you typically want to play with the next 3 years in mind because after that time, who knows what will happen.  If you play with the view of getting a team that will dominate 4-5 years from now, your league could be disbanded by then or your young player who should have developed can get injured.

My league is going into it's third year and we just had someone drop out (The year-long involvement was apparently too much).  Luckily we had someone who wanted to join who stepped right in, but it can be a hassle to find another person you know to take over (assuming it's a friends league).

The difference between petekrum's response (win now) and nittanylion's response (don't draft for this season) is part of what makes dynasty so great. There is a whole range of varying philosophies about whether to win now, build totally young, or have a mix of both.

Ultimately, I think the most important thing is to know what your philosophy is and draft accordingly. Too many unsuccessful teams make moves that lack direction or purpose. For example, a team in my league traded away young talent for Matt Forte. Then, they went back and traded some older talent for 2017 1sts.

My philosophy is to draft players and assets that will hold value. I don't want my 2nd round pick out of the league in 2 years. I also don't want my 5th round sleeper running back to be on the bench in 2 years. This results in drafting young WRs early and often, QBs, TEs, and a fill-in-the-gaps RB approach. If I have the chance to add a stud RB that will hold value (Gurley, Zeke, David Johnson, and LeVeon) I will absolutely do it. But I'm a WR heavy drafter.

Also, I treat the flex like an additional WR spot. There was a strong article that I read demonstrating that WR in the flex on average is a far better play. It's worked well for me.

twistd: Is it a Money League? If so, how much ($, $$, $$$)?

Is it a local in-person League of friends/acquaintances, or an online League of people you only know from FF?

There's a strategy-based reason I'm asking: I've been playing FF for almost 25 years, and in that time, outside of FBG-based No Mercy Leagues, I've only played in money Leagues, and so any advice I have to give is based primarily around the goal of winning money.

Whether you're playing locally or online, there's always some degree of uncertainty regarding whether or not a Dynasty League will continue, or disband, from year to year. Dynasty isn't for everyone, and, especially locally, after the initial gleam has worn off and some lukewarm Owners have dropped by the wayside, the pool of quality replacement Owners, already likely shallow, can dry up rather quickly, and a League can only shrink so much before it ceases to be viable. It usually takes at least 3 Seasons to see if a Dynasty League is going to 'make it' or not. In a free or low-stakes $ League, your primary investment is going to be time, so if a League disbands, it's not much of an issue. Your options are limitless, and you can certainly try to focus on young players/development and all the fun things Dynasty provides. However, when the stakes start getting up in the $$ or $$$ range, there's a significant financial risk involved with building a Team that can win money consistently (in terms of the # of Seasons this might require, depending on how well you do in the inaugural draft/auction), and nothing sucks more than starting out 'in the hole' or digging one that requires a significant amount of money (seasons) to dig out of. When involved in a $$ or $$$ start-up, my primary goal would be treat Season 1, and maybe Season 2, like a redraft League, and channel your energy into winning as much money right out of the gates as possible. You can scoop productive, older Players at bargain prices as everyone chases all the hot young unproven/flash-in-the-pan talent, while you 'win now'. So, in a worst-case scenario, if the League disbands after a few seasons, at least you have something to show for your efforts. Meanwhile, if the League lasts, you're in the catbirds seat for building a real 'dynasty'- most Leagues I've been involved in, the payout for Championship or Runner up is equal to several years worth of Entry Fees. You pocket that kind of cash in Year 1 and Year 2, then hold a 'fire sale' of all your veteran assets to build up your war chest, and it costs you nothing out-of-pocket to put a 3-5 year plan in place to build a proper Dynasty from the ground up that will be a long-haul consistent winner.

Good Luck...and if possible, encourage your League to use an Auction Format for the initial disbursement of Players. Not only will it allow each Owner access to every Player, and uniquely build a Team based on their own personal goals and strategy, but if you choose to follow my advice, you have even better odds of constructing a veteran-laden team that can crush the first few seasons, because most Owners will place way too high a premium on rookies and young players and waste their money on building a developmental Team as opposed to one designed to 'win now'.
I appreciate all the advice. This is a $500 FFPC dynasty. I'm not as worried about it disbanding as I would be if it was local league. That was one of the biggest stumbling blocks of starting a local league is having dedicated owners. I was looking at that, but opted for entering one of the FFPC start ups. I love the format. 

mikel2014 said:
The difference between petekrum's response (win now) and nittanylion's response (don't draft for this season) is part of what makes dynasty so great. There is a whole range of varying philosophies about whether to win now, build totally young, or have a mix of both.

Ultimately, I think the most important thing is to know what your philosophy is and draft accordingly. Too many unsuccessful teams make moves that lack direction or purpose. For example, a team in my league traded away young talent for Matt Forte. Then, they went back and traded some older talent for 2017 1sts.

My philosophy is to draft players and assets that will hold value. I don't want my 2nd round pick out of the league in 2 years. I also don't want my 5th round sleeper running back to be on the bench in 2 years. This results in drafting young WRs early and often, QBs, TEs, and a fill-in-the-gaps RB approach. If I have the chance to add a stud RB that will hold value (Gurley, Zeke, David Johnson, and LeVeon) I will absolutely do it. But I'm a WR heavy drafter.

Also, I treat the flex like an additional WR spot. There was a strong article that I read demonstrating that WR in the flex on average is a far better play. It's worked well for me.
One of the things that makes this league unique is the short benches. You only have 20 players during the season, and have to cut to 16 at the end of February. That leaves little room to draft players that have to sit for a couple of years and develop. You just don't have the roster space to do that. It is TE premium, but how often do you see a TE come in to the league and immediately produce? Gronk had 10 TDs his rookie year, but only 548 yards receiving. Eifert is more prototypical. He had two underwhelming years, then really stepped up last year. Many WRs have the same career trajectory. RBs can step in and immediately be productive. 

I would lean toward being a WR heavy drafter, but I would lean towards rookie RBs in a rookie draft. 

I consider $500 to be the entry point into $$$ (as opposed to $ or $$). The experience I've had with High-Stakes Dynasty Leagues sponsored by National Contests like FFPC, is that Owners who get out of the gate slowly tend to get tired quickly of donating $500+ after they're $1000 or $1500 in the hole. Many Nationals require ponying up 2X Franchise Fees up front to discourage bailing, but I see ads all the time on National Boards looking for Owners to pick up 'project teams' that have been abandoned, in return for a 'free' first year. IMHO, under those circumstances, I'd be all the more inclined to bankroll money early on, and then build your Dynasty on the FFPC's dime. If I'm not mistaken, you're playing for a $6000 pot, with $3000 going to the Champion, or 4X Entry (after you subtract your initial $1000 deposit for Year 1+2). That's plenty of time to bankroll, tear it down, and construct a long-term winner during a period when your League might be experiencing a variable amount of turnover - and new Owners looking to turn something around might be more inclined to build for the present when you're building for the future, so in effect, you'd be 'ticking' while they are 'tacking', which could work to your advantage...but there are certainly 2 sides to the coin, each with it's merits, and I'm not going to discourage you from pursuing either strategy.

Dynasty is a wonderful world. Welcome to it! Good Luck!

One of the things that makes this league unique is the short benches. You only have 20 players during the season, and have to cut to 16 at the end of February. That leaves little room to draft players that have to sit for a couple of years and develop. You just don't have the roster space to do that. It is TE premium, but how often do you see a TE come in to the league and immediately produce? Gronk had 10 TDs his rookie year, but only 548 yards receiving. Eifert is more prototypical. He had two underwhelming years, then really stepped up last year. Many WRs have the same career trajectory. RBs can step in and immediately be productive. 

I would lean toward being a WR heavy drafter, but I would lean towards rookie RBs in a rookie draft. 
Due to the short rosters I would play this more like a redraft league than a dynasty. The quality of replacement level players is very high and draft picks not worth much because of that.

Good luck.

I've been doing it for 10+ years and have made every mistake in the book. Here are a few quick tips:

- Elite players and players who have a chance to be elite are extremely important. Winning requires a high ppg and elite players are the best way to achieve that. Middling players are much easier to replace, so don't be the guy who makes short-sighted lineup-based decisions on trades (i.e. giving up a top player like Beckham or Bell for 2-3 solid, but unspectacular starters). Build around your stars and make moves to put yourself in position to roster more stars (acquiring extra rookie picks can be a good route). I like to say that at any given time in dynasty leagues, there are only maybe 15-25 players who really matter (the elite players). Everyone else is expendable. 

- In the rookie draft, do not draft for need unless you have two players almost exactly even in value. Take the best player available. Some of it will depend on your league format, but generally 1st round RB + WR > 2nd-3rd round RB + WR > 1st round QBs + 1st-3rd round TEs. If there's a TE or QB who looks really special like Andrew Luck or Eric Ebron, don't hesitate to use an early pick on him instead of taking a less gifted prospect at a prestige position. Every year I see people reaching for day three RB-WR when there are still good prospects out there, and it rarely works out. 

- Your leaguemates aren't your friends and 95% of the trades they offer are just poorly-disguised robbery attempts. Get to know the owners in your league and how they think. Some guys just try to screw you in every deal. Don't bother with them. Plan on insta-rejecting almost everything they send, and don't bother trying to get a fair deal with them. Some guys can meet you in the middle and compromise. Some guys will get impulsive and restless, and trade just for the sake of trading. That last group is most likely to spew. Some guys lose faith in their players very quickly while others never budge. 

I could probably write a lot more, but these are the first things that came to mind. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the FBG historical stats tool which has an option to sort players by FFPC/FPC scoring

As your cut down is to 16 players and 12 teams this means 192 total players will be rostered after the cut down from 20.

Top 192 RB/WR/TE in 2015 were

Antonio Brown PIT

Julio Jones ATL

Brandon Marshall NYJ

DeAndre Hopkins HOU

Devonta Freeman ATL

Odell Beckham Jr NYG

Allen Robinson JAX

Jordan Reed WAS

Rob Gronkowski NE

Delanie Walker TEN

Larry Fitzgerald ARI

Gary Barnidge CLE

A.J. Green CIN

Jarvis Landry MIA

Demaryius Thomas DEN

Doug Baldwin SEA

Greg Olsen CAR

Adrian Peterson MIN

Calvin Johnson DET

Eric Decker NYJ

Brandin Cooks NO

Jeremy Maclin KC

Danny Woodhead SD

Doug Martin TB

Lamar Miller MIA

DeAngelo Williams PIT

Jordan Matthews PHI

Michael Crabtree OAK

Ben Watson NO

Emmanuel Sanders DEN

Allen Hurns JAX

Travis Kelce KC

Sammy Watkins BUF

David Johnson ARI

Tyler Eifert CIN

Amari Cooper OAK

Matt Forte CHI

Mike Evans TB

T.Y. Hilton IND

Golden Tate DET

Todd Gurley LA

Zach Ertz PHI

John Brown ARI

Latavius Murray OAK

Chris Ivory NYJ

Jason Witten DAL

Mark Ingram NO

Randall Cobb GB

Tavon Austin LA

Travis Benjamin CLE

Darren McFadden DAL

Kamar Aiken BAL

Frank Gore IND

DeMarco Murray PHI

Richard Rodgers GB

James Jones GB

Pierre Garcon WAS

Willie Snead NO

Rueben Randle NYG

Charles Sims TB

Ted Ginn CAR

Giovani Bernard CIN

Theo Riddick DET

LeSean McCoy BUF

Antonio Gates SD

Julian Edelman NE

Jeremy Hill CIN

Marvin Jones CIN

Donte Moncrief IND

Michael Floyd ARI

James Starks GB

Martavis Bryant PIT

Anquan Boldin SF

Rashad Jennings NYG

Tyler Lockett SEA

Jonathan Stewart CAR

Duke Johnson CLE

Keenan Allen SD

Ronnie Hillman DEN

Darren Sproles PHI

Jacob Tamme ATL

Alshon Jeffery CHI

Shane Vereen NYG

T.J. Yeldon JAX

Heath Miller PIT

Eric Ebron DET

Terrance Williams DAL

Kyle Rudolph MIN

Danny Amendola NE

Javorius Allen BAL

Stefon Diggs MIN

Markus Wheaton PIT

Coby Fleener IND

Jermaine Kearse SEA

Charles Clay BUF

Jeremy Langford CHI

C.J. Anderson DEN

Eddie Lacy GB

Jimmy Graham SEA

Julius Thomas JAX

Martellus Bennett CHI

Owen Daniels DEN

Isaiah Crowell CLE

Nate Washington HOU

Cole Beasley DAL

Bilal Powell NYJ

Charcandrick West KC

Rishard Matthews MIA

Jamison Crowder WAS

Steve Smith BAL

Ryan Mathews PHI

Thomas Rawls SEA

Will Tye NYG

Karlos Williams BUF

Zach Miller CHI

Torrey Smith SF

LeGarrette Blount NE

James White NE

Justin Forsett BAL

Ladarius Green SD

Matt Jones WAS

Dion Lewis NE

Kenny Britt LA

Ameer Abdullah DET

Marques Colston NO

Robert Woods BUF

Melvin Gordon SD

Andre Johnson IND

Crockett Gillmore BAL

Antonio Andrews TEN

Alfred Blue HOU

Dwayne Harris NYG

Steve Johnson SD

Cecil Shorts HOU

LeVeon Bell PIT

Chris Johnson ARI

Dorial Green-Beckham TEN

Brian Hartline CLE

Seth Roberts OAK

Jordan Cameron MIA

Devin Funchess CAR

Jerricho Cotchery CAR

DeSean Jackson WAS

Jared Cook LA

Joique Bell DET

Vincent Jackson TB

Jamaal Charles KC

Davante Adams GB

Malcom Floyd SD

Corey Brown CAR

Dontrelle Inman SD

Roddy White ATL

Mike Wallace MIN

Brent Celek PHI

Kyle Juszczyk BAL

Alfred Morris WAS

Vernon Davis SF,DEN

Kendall Wright TEN

Vance McDonald SF

Albert Wilson KC

Dexter McCluster TEN

Chris Hogan BUF

DeVante Parker MIA

Clive Walford OAK

Chris Thompson WAS

Mohamed Sanu CIN

Brandon LaFell NE

Austin Seferian-Jenkins TB

Dez Bryant DAL

Kenny Stills MIA

Harry Douglas TEN

Brandon Coleman NO

Lance Moore DET

Tim Hightower NO

Scott Chandler NE

Jonathan Grimes HOU

Jerick McKinnon MIN

Mike Tolbert CAR

Spencer Ware KC

Mychal Rivera OAK

Cameron Brate TB

Carlos Hyde SF

C.J. Spiller NO

Jarius Wright MIN

Maxx Williams BAL

Marshawn Lynch SEA

Darren Fells ARI

Marquess Wilson CHI

Anthony Fasano TEN

Fred Jackson SEA

Arian Foster HOU

Marcel Reece OAK

This doesn't include the QBs but this looks like the replacement level (worth a roster spot) is something like 80 points or around 5 points per game.

It would likely be better to look at the last 3 seasons and average them for your positional baselines. That is where I would start, to get a general idea of players relative worth to each other in the scoring format.

Due to the short roster size I think streaming QB and Defense are viable options. The most valuable resource is the free agency pool. So you need to be good at watching the wire and churning players at the end of your roster to gain incremental value over time.

I'm drafting my first dynasty team in a dynasty start up in June. I joined UTH for dynasty advice. I know that Rotoviz has a lot of good dynasty articles. What other dynasty sites are you guys using? UTH has a trade calculator. Any other options for a dynasty trade calculator that anyone has used and been happy with? 
dynastyleaguefootball.com

Dynasty is all they do

I don't agree here.  At some point people pay too much for youth, and therefore the implied value of an older veteran drops below their actual value.  While everyone's clamoring to get the Devante Parker's and TJ Yeldon's of the world because they're young, the 1-3 years of top 10 performance remaining from guys like Brady and Jordy gets cheaper and cheaper.  I'm not suggesting you go all-in for a bunch of veterans, but I think a nice blend of youth and veterans allows you to compete now and in the future.   

@nittanylion and @EBF both gave excellent advice. Plenty of other good posts too but these knocked it out of the park. 

Some things I've found. 

1) Be honest with yourself and play to your strengths. These two go together because if you're not honest about where you are weak and where you are actually strong then "playing to your strengths" doesn't mean anything. For me,

it's the week to week that kills me. If I have two guys in consideration for say my WR3, I will ALWAYS start the wrong guy. I will make a "bad trade" to make sure I only have one option. Maybe I trade both my guys for someone slightly better. Or a trade on guy and starting RB for a slightly better starting RB. My other major weakness is the WW. I'm either late to the party on a guy or don't trust that a guy isn't a one week wonder or I add and cut a guy instead of waiting. I've lead leagues in FA moves in the past and I've gone entire seasons without spending a dollar. So, I will trade my budget where I can.
 Don't make trades if you aren't good at it. Don't get/keep a bunch of rookie picks if you aren't willing to do a bunch of research on rookies.

2) Be prepared. Fantasy Pros should be your first stop for rankings. Know not only only your league scoring but the bylaws too. There's things that people forget about, like if FAs are included in the rookie draft. Is your rookie draft in two parts? Rounds 1-2 in May and 3-4 in August, for example. If so, 3.1 is worth a lot more than you think. 

3) Generally, I try not to trade away draft picks until I know where they are slotted. The closer to the draft the more the pick is worth, typically. 

I don't agree here.  At some point people pay too much for youth, and therefore the implied value of an older veteran drops below their actual value.  While everyone's clamoring to get the Devante Parker's and TJ Yeldon's of the world because they're young, the 1-3 years of top 10 performance remaining from guys like Brady and Jordy gets cheaper and cheaper.  I'm not suggesting you go all-in for a bunch of veterans, but I think a nice blend of youth and veterans allows you to compete now and in the future.   
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not saying take unproven youth to the exclusion of everything else, but if you have a choice of Gurley or AP, you take Gurley. Robinson or Jordy, you take Robinson. Palmer or Bortles, you take Bortles. Nothing is worse than getting stuck with aging vets in a dynasty league. Only a fool will trade you anything for them, and you'll end up getting pennies on the dollar for r them. A good dynasty team is a combo of vets in their prime along with a developing Corp of young players.

Due to the short rosters I would play this more like a redraft league than a dynasty. The quality of replacement level players is very high and draft picks not worth much because of that.

Good luck.
A roster size of 20 is certainly less than some that I've seen, but I wouldn't consider that a short roster.  It is big enough to carry developing players (just a limited number) It certainly isn't short enough to change your focus toward redraft.  That is BAD advice.  Even when you cut to 16, that is almost 200 kept players for a 12 team league.   Even in IDP, the quality of replacement  players is marginal at best.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not saying take unproven youth to the exclusion of everything else, but if you have a choice of Gurley or AP, you take Gurley. Robinson or Jordy, you take Robinson. Palmer or Bortles, you take Bortles. Nothing is worse than getting stuck with aging vets in a dynasty league. Only a fool will trade you anything for them, and you'll end up getting pennies on the dollar for r them. A good dynasty team is a combo of vets in their prime along with a developing Corp of young players.
Well, yeah.  It's kind of assumed that he'd draft the guy with ADP of 5 over the guy with ADP of 34.  

Good luck.
this is the best advice here. I play FFPC, do you normal ppr ranks, skip a guy if he is on his last legs but otherwise you can draft as normal. Don't follow the dynasty sites and look for the next big thing because you can't afford to hold them. Also do you really want to spend $500 say year 1,2,3 also try and win in year 4? Not smart from a ROI perspective. If you want to go young trade for future 1sts but don't pay more than a late 5th value at worst. When evaluating trades for future 1sts just use Dodd's calculator here and plug in what you'll pay for the future 1st. With the 2017 hype I've been willing to go up to 58 but normally the price is a mid to late 6th

A roster size of 20 is certainly less than some that I've seen, but I wouldn't consider that a short roster.  It is big enough to carry developing players (just a limited number) It certainly isn't short enough to change your focus toward redraft.  That is BAD advice.  Even when you cut to 16, that is almost 200 kept players for a 12 team league.   Even in IDP, the quality of replacement  players is marginal at best.
could not disagree more, do you play FFPC? you are giving bad advice here. He doesn't have to take people at the very end of their career, skip those but don't gamble on all the unproven players at where people have them in the dynasty ranks, that is the kiss of death in these

could not disagree more, do you play FFPC? you are giving bad advice here. He doesn't have to take people at the very end of their career, skip those but don't gamble on all the unproven players at where people have them in the dynasty ranks, that is the kiss of death in these
What is so special about FFPC that I would play dynasty like redraft?

Maybe the disconnect here is some questionable dynasty rankings.   I use rankings for reference but always adjust them based on my opinion.

What is so special about FFPC that I would play dynasty like redraft?

Maybe the disconnect here is some questionable dynasty rankings.   I use rankings for reference but always adjust them based on my opinion.
it is not just that roster size is 20 and cuts to 16 in offseason (including you have to keep a Def and K) so you really keep 14, it is also dual flex so you need a deep roster to cover byes if you want to compete, you can't keep more than 2 future gambles at most and compete. 

Do the math. 16 roster spots per team are short rosters. Draft and hold strategies are fine in most dynasty leagues but not as effective in this format.

Everyone will always want the best player in trades because there isn't enough roster space to hold many developing players. Because of this only the true blue chip rookies are worth rostering, which means 2nd round rookie picks are worth less than they would be if every team could keep 20 players.

I think trading in this format can be difficult and frustrating because teams don't have much wiggle room to hold a few developing players. You can dedicate about 4 of your 16 roster spots for these types of players. You need your other 12 roster spots for starters and some back up options to them. So the guys you do try to keep long term are going to fill up those 4 spots pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread