What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Juicing/Smoothie Recipe Thread (Vitamix/Blendtec and the like) (1 Viewer)

Peyton Marino

Footballguy
Looked and didn't see a thread specifically for this.  Bought a Vitamix, came today.  Stopping at the store on my way home for various ingredients.  I think this is what I'll try first:

1/2 cup (120 ml) water (MAYBE sub in almond milk? idk idk)

1 cup (160 g) green grapes

1/2 cup (80 g) pineapple chunks

1/2 ripe banana peeled

2 cups (60 g) fresh spinach packed

1/2 cup (120 ml) ice cubes
just keeping it simple for the first go 'round. might throw in an extra ingredient if something catches my eye.  will review later.

whatcha got?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll stop by in the future when I remember but wanted to support your almond milk instinct. :thumbup:

Every morning for the past year, usually after I run, I make the same simple smoothie in my Vitamix. Obviously not a weight loss thing but a great recovery/protein shake and so damn tasty, still crave it: 

one whole frozen banana

handful roasted unsalted Trader Joes mixed nuts (1/4 cup?), I use peanut butter if out of nuts

half cup Chobani plain Greek yogurt

one heaping scoop chocolate protein powder

12 oz or so chocolate milk, enough to give it a nice consistency. 

A couple of ice cubes

Whatever you like to make, if it involves bananas buy a bunch of ripe ones, peal them and freeze them. 

2 Bananas (peeled

2 Cups of Almond Milk

6 dates with pit removed(I use more but I like it sweet)

4 tbsps. of Almond Butter

ywia...usually I put some ice cubes in to chill it but you don't have to

a couple times a week I do one that GrandpaRox previously posted here:

half an avocado

large handful of walnuts

cup of almond milk

heaping teaspoon of cacao powder

banana

(some flax seeds that I started adding)

Pretty good and filling.

Just did one earlier this week, super simple: banana, cup of soy milk, 3/4 cup of spinach.  Trying to mix it up with fewer fats.

made the smoothie in the OP, used almond milk and added ginger for its anti-inflammatory properties.  the ginger kind of overpowered the smoothie, but taste is secondary to health benefits as far as what I'm looking for, so it wasn't a huge deal.  overall solid.  got a bunch of other fruits and veggies to make more stuff with.  excited to break this thing in.

I've never tried grapes in mine. How does the skin do in there? Does it blend up fine enough?

my blendtec go to is:

- unsweetened vanilla almond milk

- unsweetened coconut

- raw pumpkin seeds

- chia seeds

- a few trader joes steamed baby beets

- carrots

- a ton of spinach

- one frozen banana

- about 15 frozen blueberries or 3 frozen strawberries

I used to do the avocado pit but it alters the taste too much for me. The frozen banana is the key to any blend. Enhances the taste of whatever you put in there. Beets are great if you have any cholesterol issues.

Great thread for someone who is about to start juicing.  Can you recommend a blender please?  I am on Amazon at moment and there are literally 400 pages of blenders.

I low carb, here is mine...

1 scoop Zero Carb Protein Powder

1 cup unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.

1 TBS PB2

2 cap fulls sugar free Smores flavored coffee syrup.

If I want veggies I use spinach or Avocado. (Tastes like a PB/Chocolate shake.)

Unsweetened Almond Milk

Couple handfuls of kale

A knuckle of ginger

Handful of frozen mango

Handful of frozen blueberries 

Bag of green tea

1 or 2 shots of vodka

Goodbye hangover.

Got the Vitamix from Costco a few months ago.  Daughter loves it.  We usually have all sorts of fresh fruit and greens in the house, but also keep various frozen fruit like mango, pineapple strawberries and greens like kale/spinach from Costco (makes it really easy).   Usually that, a banana, some coconut water.

This is a beast of a machine by the way.  Can't wait to go nuts with salsas in the summer and soups in the winter.

Bought a VitaMix through Amazon a couple weeks ago. Not a big smoothie drinker, but found this recipe for faux ice cream. 

3 frozen bananas and 1/4 cup almond milk. Blend until just smooth (I use the frozen desserts setting) it comes out like soft serve that tastes really close to Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey. It's pretty, pretty good.

Handful of frozen blueberries
Bunch of spinach, buy a lot of this then put in freezer if not eating fast enough.
Carrot
Water
Serving of protein power

Have this pretty much every morning I'm at home. I add Beets occasionally or pretty much any veggie that looks good at the store, just put in less spinach. Lemon or pineapple if I want it a little sweeter.

I have a Vitamix. Thing chews through anything. Don't go cheap on the blender or you'll end up not using it because it gets stuck or can't blend stuff all the way.

Frozen blueberries

1/2 frozen banana

Fresh ginger root

8-10 unsalted almonds

Tablespoon of flax

1/2 avacado

Scoop of vanilla whey.

Water or sometimes Fruit punch or Orange zero calorie Gatorade as the liquid.

Been using this recipe after coming off a glucose detox diet:

• 1/2 cup reg unsweetened almond milk
  • scoop chocolate whey protein power (no sugar) (extra scoop if I just lifted)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 avocado
  • juice of one small lime
  • 1 T. hemp seeds
  • 1 T. flax seeds
  • 1 T. chia seeds
  • 1/2 T. coconut butter
  • 1 T. almond butter
  • 1/4 cup unsalted roasted cashews
  • 1 cup frozen berries (blue, ras, and black)
  • few ice cubes.
Tasty, if you don't mind chewing on a few seeds.  A vitamix would probably take care of that.

This has been my breakfast for about 4 years now.

- handful of ice

- 1/2 frozen banana

- Few hanfuls of greens 

- almond milk

- 2 tbsp ground flax

- 1 tbsp chia seeds

- scoop of Amazing Grass

lot of mentions of chia seeds in here.  I think I'll add that to the list of things to pick up next time I'm at the store.  

Adding another recipe here that I was already making in a normal blender, but now I'll make it in the Vitamix.  

Bulletproof Coffee (usually only on weekends.  black during the week)

16 oz. black coffee

2-4 tbsp unsalted grass fed butter (I use Kerrygold, available in most grocery stores here)

1 tbsp MCT Oil

*optional* a couple squares of dark (85% or more) chocolate 

not really a smoothie but pretty good

Great thread for someone who is about to start juicing.  Can you recommend a blender please?  I am on Amazon at moment and there are literally 400 pages of blenders.
I looked for a while, got frustrated with all the options and just went vitamix b/c it seems to be the top of the line.  I think it depends on whether you want to 'Juice' or make regular smoothies with the fiber included.  some names I've heard good things about: nutribullet, blendtec, vitamix, ninja.

If you are looking for a "traditional" smoothie, I would say a MUST as a base is the frozen fruit, particularly a frozen banana.  That is my go-to starter for any smoothie I make. If you use frozen fruit, you don't really need to add ice.  I also forgo fruit juice in favor of soy milk, almond milk, or coconut milk.  Also, if I want it a little sweet, I always include frozen pineapple rather than honey.  But basically:

- 1 frozen banana

- handful frozen berry mix

- handful frozen pineapple. 

- handful some other frozen fruit that I'm in the mood for (mango / peaches / strawberries / kiwi)

- about a cup or so of yogurt (half plain / half vanilla or fruit)

- almond milk / soymilk / coconut milk / hemp milk -- enough to give it the right texture; probably about a half cup or so.

- scoop of protein powder (depends on how many servings you are making; I like to put in enough so each cup/serving gets about 8 grams of protein). 

- (optional) chopped almonds (gives extra protein and fat)

- (optional) chia seed or hemp seed

- (optional) MAYBE a squirt of honey

The above usually makes enough for my two teenage kids and me.  If you are particularly hungry, it makes two big smoothies.  It's a SOLID recipe.

The daily preparation/cleanup is the biggest PITA. Get yourself some Ball Plastic Freezer Jars (they come in 8 or 16oz). Make up a huge batch and store them in the freezer. I take one out of the freezer when I get up in the morning and its ready by the time I get to work.

:blackdot:

Bought a Blendtec a couple of years ago and was doing the smoothie thing every morning until I realized how many calories I was drinking with everything I put in there.  I stopped to try and find better recipes but didn't really get back into it.  Do you guys do a calorie check on your smoothies and which ones do you suggest to keep those low for weight loss or at least maintaining weight?

:blackdot:

I have used a Breville juicer in the past (thanks to Joe Cross and his movie Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead), but I would never do it for long due to the amount of fruits and vegetables you needed to get juice, the amount of waste produced and the prep time and cleanup time involved.

Really want something simple for breakfast and lunch, so need to research the Vitamix/Blendtec.

Is this almond butter healthier than peanut butter? What's the reason for going that direction?

Is this almond butter healthier than peanut butter? What's the reason for going that direction?
I  think bostonfred had a thread about the different types of butters.  Or maybe it was fatguy, or Bigbottom.  I get those guys mixed up.  But somebody had a thread about it. 

I looked for a while, got frustrated with all the options and just went vitamix b/c it seems to be the top of the line.  I think it depends on whether you want to 'Juice' or make regular smoothies with the fiber included.  some names I've heard good things about: nutribullet, blendtec, vitamix, ninja.
I hear you about getting frustrated.  I read a bunch of stuff on here and elsewhere last night and have come to conclude the Blendtec is for me.  It was that or the Vitamix, after initially leaning toward the cheaper Nutribullets.  The warming of fluids by Vitamix machines is the biggest difference maker to me.  Otherwise they were both great.  Now I just need to find the right Blendtec, preferably a refurbished lower end deal.  

I bumped an older thread on here about juicing because it had more info on blenders and I didn't want to clog this one up.  There was also a post in there not to be missed.  Willie Neslon almost ended up in the ER from blending the top of a pineapple.  Yeah, he drank the stem lol.

So I didn't go all out on a blendtec or Vitamix, but got a very nice ninja on sale recently for $90 and have been trying out the recipes that came in the book.

Mostly based around bananas, black, blue and strawberries, pineapple, mango, yogurt, almond milk, coconut water, honey, and various juices.  Haven't mixed anything yet that I don't like, but some better than others.  I'll try a few of the idea above - I think I need to start incorporating greens and flax seeds.

I decided to buy some almond butter today to mix in my smoothie, but you definitely have to be a fbg to do this regularly. That #### is about 4x the cost of peanut butter brohans. Still not sure if the benefits over peanut butter.

lot of mentions of chia seeds in here.  I think I'll add that to the list of things to pick up next time I'm at the store.  

Adding another recipe here that I was already making in a normal blender, but now I'll make it in the Vitamix.  

Bulletproof Coffee (usually only on weekends.  black during the week)

16 oz. black coffee

2-4 tbsp unsalted grass fed butter (I use Kerrygold, available in most grocery stores here)

1 tbsp MCT Oil

*optional* a couple squares of dark (85% or more) chocolate 

not really a smoothie but pretty good
Did this for a few months but the heat from the coffee kept breaking the seal on the gasket so I gave it up. Did you have this problem at all with your blender or have an easy fix?  

I make a smoothie with my son almost daily now.  He really enjoys getting all the stuff out, and watching it mix together.  Here is what we throw in,

Banana, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, yogurt, peanut butter, hemp seeds, chia seeds, carrots, spinach, acai powder, cinnamon, tumeric, isopure vanilla whey, milk, oj, water/ice. 

Did this for a few months but the heat from the coffee kept breaking the seal on the gasket so I gave it up. Did you have this problem at all with your blender or have an easy fix?  
have not encountered this problem, sorry.  actually not 100% sure what "seal on the gasket" means but now I'm kind of afraid to use the vitamix for this.

have not encountered this problem, sorry.  actually not 100% sure what "seal on the gasket" means but now I'm kind of afraid to use the vitamix for this.
On normal blenders there's a rubber gasket below the blade spindle to keep the fluid from leaking out the bottom. AFAIK, you have to remove the blades which is a PITA to replace the gasket. 

After spending more time than I care to admit, I did end up with a smoking deal on a Blendtec, finally.  You won't find a better offer than this one currently.

Refurb Blendtecs on Ebay.  $190 shipped.
That's a phenomenal deal.  Unfortunately it was too late for me, I ordered direct from the manufacturer a few days before your post.

I am spoiled by Amazon Prime.  My Blendtec should be arriving today and I placed the order exactly two weeks ago.  It feels like an eternity has passed.

I went to the store last night and bought a crapload of random fruits and veggies.  I'm really looking forward to trying it out tonight.

So this may be a naïve question, but I see a lot of folks suggesting recipes that include almond butter:

If your vitamix/blendtec turns almonds into almond butter, why wouldn't you simply use whole almonds in those recipes?

Bump.  Been thinking about purchasing a Vitamix for awhile and finally bought a reconditioned one with a coupon code.  Ended up getting mine for $230 vs. the $399 they are selling for at Costco.  I'll be trying a few smoothies posted here as well as some in the recipe books that came with the blender.  Can't wait!

Does it take you like 3 hours to get ready!?
The blender is the size of a tank so its stored away, not sitting out on the counter all the time. Fresh fruit requires prep work. Clean-up takes extra time since there are 4 parts and you must make sure there are no residual bits of fruit or dairy because they will rot and smell. So yeah, 3 hours sounds about right. Also nice because you can do everything at once when its all fresh/ripe and just freeze it, rather then using mushy, week-old strawberries. Frankly, I'm have a hard time finding any reason not to use the jars.

Bump.  Been thinking about purchasing a Vitamix for awhile and finally bought a reconditioned one with a coupon code.  Ended up getting mine for $230 vs. the $399 they are selling for at Costco.  I'll be trying a few smoothies posted here as well as some in the recipe books that came with the blender.  Can't wait!
Did you get the reconditioned one online? If so, do you have a link? Also, did it include any sort of a warranty? TIA

I'm guessing the blender won't turn the almonds into butter with all of the other stuff in there.
I have no problem with nuts not being processed completely in my smoothies (Vitamix).

FWIW, cleanup when making nut butters is not as easy as when making most other stuff. So, I always make some kind of smoothie after making a nut butter.

Users who are viewing this thread