What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LED Lighting (1 Viewer)

Johnny Bing

Footballguy
I'm in the process of building a house.  We have the walk thru next week with the electrician.  Are LED lights the way to go, or is there down fall to going this route other than the price of bulbs?  Is there a particular LED fixture to look for as in a "grade" or are they all the same?

I heard the lighting is a brighter white, but they make a “filter” or lens to yellow it up? Or should I not go LED?

TIA

They use less energy, and last significantly longer that Plain Old Ordinary bulbs, so they ought to pay for themselves over time. Look into buying in bulk on Amazon or at a Home Depot or something like that. You just have to buy good (like everything!!)

Why Choose ENERGY STAR Qualified LED Lighting?

LED lighting is a rapidly evolving technology that produces light in a whole new way. It is already beginning to surpass the quality and efficiency of existing lighting technologies, such as fluorescent and incandescent — but not all LED lighting is created equal.

The ENERGY STAR is awarded to select fixture types that meet strict efficiency, quality, and lifetime criteria.

ENERGY STAR Qualified LED Lighting:

• Reduces energy costs — uses at least 75% less energy than incandescent lighting, saving on operating expenses.
  • Reduces maintenance costs — lasts 35 to 50 times longer than incandescent lighting and about 2 to 5 times longer than fluorescent lighting. No bulb-replacements, no ladders, no ongoing disposal program.
  • Reduces cooling costs — LEDs produce very little heat.
  • Is guaranteed — comes with a minimum three-year warranty — far beyond the industry standard.
  • Offers convenient features — available with dimming on some indoor models and automatic daylight shut-off and motion sensors on some outdoor models.
  • Is durable — won’t break like a bulb.

Upgrading recessed down lights (ceiling light fixtures shown in photo) to ENERGY STAR qualified LED recessed down lights can significantly reduce operating, maintenance, and cooling costs.

Aren’t all LED lights highly efficient and long-lasting?

Not necessarily. LEDs have been efficient and long lasting as indicator lights in electronics for years, but using LEDs to create stable white light for general lighting presents new challenges. The key to success is smart design. To qualify for ENERGY STAR, LED lighting products must pass a variety of tests to prove that the products will display the following characteristics:
  • Brightness is equal to or greater than existing lighting technologies (incandescent or fluorescent) and light is well distributed over the area lighted by the fixture.
  • Light output remains constant over time, only decreasing towards the end of the rated lifetime (at least 35,000 hours or 12 years based on use of 8 hours per day).
  • Excellent color quality. The shade of white light appears clear and consistent over time.
  • Efficiency is as good as or better than fluorescent lighting.
  • Light comes on instantly when turned on.
  • No flicker when dimmed.
  • No off-state power draw. The fixture does not use power when it is turned off, with the exception of external controls, whose power should not exceed 0.5 watts in the off state.
Bad design can lead to a wide range of problems, some immediately observable and some not. Poorly designed products often come with exaggerated claims while failing to deliver on the quality specifications above.

Choose ENERGY STAR quailified LED fixtures to ensure the products you purchase perform well.

worth the $$ IMO- especially in hard to reach light fixtures
Agreed.

Hella lot more expensive upfront but you make that up over time in less energy costs and not having to buy multiple lights that burn out while you are still on the original LED- and the added bonus of not having to replace them is good- more so for the hard to reach ones.

they actually make led bulbs now that mimic the "yellow" color or an incandescent.  I have installed these in my house, They are dimmable and when at 100% they are pretty "white", as you dim the light they change to a more "yellow" temperature.  I don't think most people will even notice they are led.

I don't think the fixtures are any different (or should be) than any other fixture. You can get LED to fit whatever fixtures. I have them in my track lighting (WAY better option for those), regular lights and outside as well. I have a bunch of compact florescent that I am still using but when I run out of those (will take a while since those last a long time too) then I will replace with LED.  

Leveled and rebuilt my house 4 yrs ago - put in about 50 LED's. Haven't had to replace any of them - don't expect to.

Definitely worth the extra $$$.

Leveled and rebuilt my house 4 yrs ago - put in about 50 LED's. Haven't had to replace any of them - don't expect to.

Definitely worth the extra $$$.
Eventually you will.... but I think 20 years is the expectation of most. Like has been said- if there is a bulb that it sucks to replace, then this is a no brainer. If you are living in a place for a long time then it also is a no brainer. Only way I wouldn't go LED is if you are going to be leaving in the next year or two or so.

Thanks...Damn LED bulbs are expensive!!!

The bad news with these is I would likely need to replace them all at once, and I think my mirrors have 6 or 8 on each.

Still looking for the perfect LEDs for our house.  75% of our existing bulbs are on dimmers, and I haven't found a dimmable LED yet that I've been satisfied with.  Even fully dimmed, they seem to stay at probably 60-70% of full brightness, whereas our incandescents would dim way down to perhaps 20% of full brightness.  I really don't want to have to replace all of our dimmer switches either, but I may not have any other choice.

When we bought our house 5 years ago, we had about 27 6" recessed can lights.  I replaced all of them with Cree CR6 dimmable bulbs.  So many benefits, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I did the math, and the payback at $18/bulb was like 3 years at the time.  The Cree's are a bit more money than the cheapest option, but the color looks just like incandescent, and they're fully dimmable.  I have every light in my house on a dimmer.  Check your local clean energy site if your state has one.  I was able to get the CR6's for $18/bulb via NJ Clean Energy.  At the time, those were $47 bulbs at Home Depot.  They've come down a lot now though.

-A fraction of the cost to run

-Don't need to be replaced for a long long time

-A side-benefit for can lights is that they bulb and the trim ring are a sealed unit, which means no heat/cooling loss into the voids between your ceiling joists and/or attic, and also helps to seal out bugs if you have any bug issues.  If you have cans with regular bulbs, stick your hand up by the bulb on a windy day, and you'll likely feel airflow. 

Still looking for the perfect LEDs for our house.  75% of our existing bulbs are on dimmers, and I haven't found a dimmable LED yet that I've been satisfied with.  Even fully dimmed, they seem to stay at probably 60-70% of full brightness, whereas our incandescents would dim way down to perhaps 20% of full brightness.  I really don't want to have to replace all of our dimmer switches either, but I may not have any other choice.
Not sure whether you have cans or just regular lamp bulbs, but check out the CREE stuff.  I have them all on regular incandescent dimmers (not magnetic or electric dimmers, which are $$$).  I use Leviton Vizia dimmers personally.  The only situation I have any issue with is when I have only 1 bulb on a circuit.  When I have that, if I dim below ~30%, it will flicker.  2 or more bulbs will dim to a very very low level without issue. 

My porch lights used a unique LED array, and they flickered too until I added a small resistor to up the draw, then they stopped flickering.

We put in all LED's when we did our renovation and for the most part they are great.  HOWEVER, those on a dimmer have some flicker from time to time.  I have not had the time to troubleshoot but I suspect it's a combo of cheap LED's and cheap dimmers.  I just hope it's not the recessed can fixture.  

And prices are constantly coming down. Lots of competition on the shelves now. I've been gradually switching over. 

The other huge bonus I haven't seen mentioned is getting rid of those xxxxxxx cfls. 

And prices are constantly coming down. Lots of competition on the shelves now. I've been gradually switching over. 

The other huge bonus I haven't seen mentioned is getting rid of those xxxxxxx cfls. 
I have a couple of these, one in my garage takes several minutes to get up to the proper 'brightness' (technical term). PITA. I should probably look for a replacement.

So a stupid question...If you have a light or fixture that is rated for a 40w bulb, can you use something like a 60w LED replacement bulb, because the wattage used by the bulb is still less than 40w?

I have a couple of these, one in my garage takes several minutes to get up to the proper 'brightness' (technical term). PITA. I should probably look for a replacement.
Is the pita one a CFL? Totally agree. Another scam perpetrated on the American people that we knew was a joke from the beginning. 

Is the pita one a CFL? Totally agree. Another scam perpetrated on the American people that we knew was a joke from the beginning. 
Yes! When it turns on, it is bright enough to see in the garage, but you can tell 5 minutes later that it's gotten significantly brighter.

Something else to consider with these bulbs and their "energy efficiency" - they don't produce nearly the amount of heat of old school bulbs or even of CFLs I believe.  So your A/C doesn't have to work as hard to cool down the air being heated up by your lighting.

Something else to consider with these bulbs and their "energy efficiency" - they don't produce nearly the amount of heat of old school bulbs or even of CFLs I believe.  So your A/C doesn't have to work as hard to cool down the air being heated up by your lighting.
On the flip side.... your heater needs to work harder in winter. :shock:

On the flip side.... your heater needs to work harder in winter. :shock:
True, but most any heat source can produce heat much more efficiently (and thus cheaper) than the heat being produced from the wasted electricity in those older bulbs.  Think of it as trying to heat your home via toaster ovens.  Pretty expensive endevour, huh?  Heating with oil, propane, heat-pump, or best of all wood is exponentially more efficient, and thus cheaper to do.

True, but most any heat source can produce heat much more efficiently (and thus cheaper) than the heat being produced from the wasted electricity in those older bulbs.  Think of it as trying to heat your home via toaster ovens.  Pretty expensive endevour, huh?  Heating with oil, propane, heat-pump, or best of all wood is exponentially more efficient, and thus cheaper to do.
But my heater will have to work harder.

(I am just being silly)

Another side benefit not yet noted: they don't generate heat or draw much current.  I have a ton of bulbs in the chandeliers over our dining room table, and sith incandescents the dimmer plate would get hot to the touch (I think it was drawing more current than that dimmer could handle). Swap in all LED bulbs and now not only do the bulbs not generate heat, but my wall plate isn't a fire hazard. 

So I learned some interesting information during the walk thru.  He already had LED lighting in the bid, which he said that is all most electricians are bidding now days.  Might be a regional thing or just his general observation.  

He did mention the color temperature of the LED light is what makes it more of a "warm" or a "cool" light.  Warm lighting is what we are used to seeing in a standard bulb and the cool lighting is what you see in the doctors office that is really white. He said the older style lighting was 2700K and the LED's that he has had the best luck with on color scale are the 3000K.  The higher on that scale 3500K, 4000K or 5000K the LED becomes more white as you increase.  

He also mentioned the bulbs have a 5 year warranty if it should ever burn out call him for a free replacement.  He said the expected life span on normal usage should be around 15 years.  Well worth the money in the long run. 

there is a difference in the colors.  My wife hated the "soft white", but loved the "warm white".  Women....amirite?

Johnny Bing said:
So I learned some interesting information during the walk thru.  He already had LED lighting in the bid, which he said that is all most electricians are bidding now days.  Might be a regional thing or just his general observation.  

He did mention the color temperature of the LED light is what makes it more of a "warm" or a "cool" light.  Warm lighting is what we are used to seeing in a standard bulb and the cool lighting is what you see in the doctors office that is really white. He said the older style lighting was 2700K and the LED's that he has had the best luck with on color scale are the 3000K.  The higher on that scale 3500K, 4000K or 5000K the LED becomes more white as you increase.  

He also mentioned the bulbs have a 5 year warranty if it should ever burn out call him for a free replacement.  He said the expected life span on normal usage should be around 15 years.  Well worth the money in the long run. 

Correct.  There are some smart bulbs (for example from LIFX) that allow you to adjust the temp (and warmth of the light) from an app.  I've got a few in my kitchen.  You start to appreciate how "clinical" the bright white looks compared to the indoor lighting we're accustomed to.  It's probably great for performing dental surgery, but not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread