What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (3 Viewers)

I am only seeing Season 6 on Netflix (last years). Are people seeing others? 
No it is season 6. I thought it was the new season because of it being in the Artic. Some how I missed season 6 so new to me.

I'm old and easily confused so don't pay attention to anything I say or post.

No it is season 6. I thought it was the new season because of it being in the Artic. Some how I missed season 6 so new to me.

I'm old and easily confused so don't pay attention to anything I say or post.
No worries. It is confusing because they call it Season 1 in Netflix for some reason.

This is better for me as I would have watched the latest season in one sitting if I could stream it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries. It is confusing because they call it Season 1 in Netflix for some reason.

This is better for me as I would have watched the latest season in one sitting if I could stream it :lol:
So where is new season?  Thought it was starting June 11th.

Did you notice the "survive 100 days"?  I wonder what happens if two people make it that long?  

I'm not a big fan of the arctic location.  I'd rather see them out doing stuff than sheltered up 3/4s of the day.
I think the real question is, "can even 1?". 

I'm fading the field and going all in with the home favorite, mother nature.  

The psychology of counting down to such a big prize will be interesting though.  I think the unknown of it is what gets alot of people that quit into the headspace of: There's only so much time left in life, every second I spend with my family is worth infinitely more than the 500k prize, get me home now.   100 days=1m is going to have contestants laser focused. I still don't think anyone will make it, but I doubt you see those surprise dropouts where survivalists with decent resources just give up.  

The psychology of counting down to such a big prize will be interesting though.  I think the unknown of it is what gets alot of people that quit into the headspace of: There's only so much time left in life, every second I spend with my family is worth infinitely more than the 500k prize, get me home now.   100 days=1m is going to have contestants laser focused. I still don't think anyone will make it, but I doubt you see those surprise dropouts where survivalists with decent resources just give up.  
So they’re in arctic and no one is building a proper shelter yet.  Pure guess but I agree that no one will last 100 days.  Some of those people are clueless in their selections of what to bring. 

So they’re in arctic and no one is building a proper shelter yet.  Pure guess but I agree that no one will last 100 days.  Some of those people are clueless in their selections of what to bring. 
That women completed her shelter in two days I think... Can't believe the guy lost his Flint.   That thing would be tied to my shelter with just enough rope to reach making a fire.. no way do I carry it with me as I'm wandering. :crazy:

That women completed her shelter in two days I think... Can't believe the guy lost his Flint.   That thing would be tied to my shelter with just enough rope to reach making a fire.. no way do I carry it with me as I'm wandering. :crazy:
Her shelter looks amazing!

Felt really bad for that dude who lost his flint, but didn't feel like he was going to go far anyway.  In 10 days he had like three logs set on his shelter.  At least he had a nice bath.

The guy from California looks like he is starting out way too thin for this.  At least the hillbilly who tapped out had built up some fat (or maybe it came naturally).

Ok her shelter with just a tarp roof will not be warm enough.. show said it gets 30 below. 

Ok her shelter with just a tarp roof will not be warm enough.. show said it gets 30 below. 
You must have missed that part.. She built a small log house.. Logs, with Moss in-between and and built a 🔥 area inside.. Very nice and will definitely keep her warm.

I just saw this and I think the guy who did it was on the show.

The Yukon holds some of the World’s last large expanses of wilderness. It’s, brave wilderness - deep backcountry camping, remote wild camping in the full sense of the word as it’s well off grid and far from the road system. This is the full documentary about my survival in the woods where I’m truly alone in the wild and exploring the Yukon. After bush flying into a remote mountain lake, I head out solo camping and fishing on a wilderness travel adventure for fourteen days by canoe. On the trip, I paddle the advanced level whitewater of the Hess River and then follow the Stewart River, completing the trip some 400 kilometres later in the community of Mayo. On this adventure, I catch Arctic Grayling and Lake Trout. What’s better than catching wild Trout for a catch and cook over the fire while in the Yukon? I also find a remote traditionally-built trappers log cabin, run multiple whitewater rapids, undertake long, bushwhack portages and see a lot of wildlife.

The Yukon is a place where dreams are made and where adventurers have been going to follow their dreams since the Klondike gold rush in the 1880s. As much as anyone, I went there to follow my dreams and they became a reality.

This long documentary version is basically all of the episodes from this adventure back to back with a few edits to shorten it down. Still I wound up with the longest film I’ve ever uploaded by far.
FWIW I've been up to the Yukon a few times and have passed through Whitehorse.  Not sure if we passed-by Mayo or not.  

I could be wrong, but I think they were showing her still building it on day 6. 
Even if you don’t hunt, how do you not bring a bow? I mean, great that you killed a squirrel with a rock, but what about a wolverine or bear? The California kid has no shot imo to make it 100 days. 

I could be wrong, but I think they were showing her still building it on day 6. 
Even if you don’t hunt, how do you not bring a bow? I mean, great that you killed a squirrel with a rock, but what about a wolverine or bear? The California kid has no shot imo to make it 100 days. 
Yea, lost track of days.. But was done before the end of the episode. Meanwhile the guy that tapped out had a 1/4 of the walls. Then again, he looked to be building a castle, instead of a shelter. 

And yea, not sure what his plan to survive is.. Guess trap and fish :shrug:  

Her shelter looks amazing!

Felt really bad for that dude who lost his flint, but didn't feel like he was going to go far anyway.  In 10 days he had like three logs set on his shelter.  At least he had a nice bath.

The guy from California looks like he is starting out way too thin for this.  At least the hillbilly who tapped out had built up some fat (or maybe it came naturally).
Agree with both these. The guy who lost the flint seemed way too emotional to last regardles the and Cali guy is way too thin already and doesn’t have a bow.

I’m convinced after listening to last season’s winner to last 100 days up there the winner will have to bring down something big.  

stlrams said:
They burned through 10 days without hitting all the contestants and those are the days when the most stuff happens.  Pretty positive indicator that they have many days of footage.

Surprised they don't follow the Discovery Gold Rush model and take this to 20-24 episodes.  I guess the end of episode discussion with the contestants is a start in the right direction.

Bracie Smathers said:
I just saw this and I think the guy who did it was on the show.

FWIW I've been up to the Yukon a few times and have passed through Whitehorse.  Not sure if we passed-by Mayo or not.  
Interesting.  I don't think I can commit 4+ hours to it, though.  I looked the guy up because I didn't remember him.  Apparently he won, but it was the one season I didn't watch, where they had pairs of people.  It looked dumb to me, but maybe it was all right.  

I just watched S6 w/ Jordan et al and was blown away. IIRC, I watched an ep or two of the first season, but either forgot or got busy with other stuff and stopped watching.

Jordan didn't put a foot wrong (other than barely missing the moose the first time) and deserved the win... that pike he caught at the end was ####### enormous! third place guy was also amazing and likely would have lasted a long time longer if not for the fire. but I thought the 3 women who made it towards the end were all absolutely amazing. calamity jane had the wherewithal to put out her burning cabin in the middle of the night and rebuild... just amazing. and would've kept going if not for the weight loss . I was most impressed with the inventiveness and attitude of last standing woman (Kobayashi? Koyaanisqatsi?) who seemed to use the little available to her to create the most beneficial items ... and not just teddy bears. iirc, she missed a hare from almost point blank with the bow... probably did her in not getting that fuel.

looking forward to watching more of these.

Interesting.  I don't think I can commit 4+ hours to it, though.  I looked the guy up because I didn't remember him.  Apparently he won, but it was the one season I didn't watch, where they had pairs of people.  It looked dumb to me, but maybe it was all right.  
It is very long.  It took me a few run-ups before I got through it but I think he has a few paired-down versions on line.  One I saw was only about 40 minutes so he may have edited quite a bit.

I loved it but then again I've done solo back country kayak trips with lots of sketchy moments but my adventures were nothing compared to what that guy did in the video.

I just watched S6 w/ Jordan et al and was blown away. IIRC, I watched an ep or two of the first season, but either forgot or got busy with other stuff and stopped watching.

Jordan didn't put a foot wrong (other than barely missing the moose the first time) and deserved the win... that pike he caught at the end was ####### enormous! third place guy was also amazing and likely would have lasted a long time longer if not for the fire. but I thought the 3 women who made it towards the end were all absolutely amazing. calamity jane had the wherewithal to put out her burning cabin in the middle of the night and rebuild... just amazing. and would've kept going if not for the weight loss . I was most impressed with the inventiveness and attitude of last standing woman (Kobayashi? Koyaanisqatsi?) who seemed to use the little available to her to create the most beneficial items ... and not just teddy bears. iirc, she missed a hare from almost point blank with the bow... probably did her in not getting that fuel.

looking forward to watching more of these.
The moose was a game-changer, but I knew he had it in the bag when he made a deck of cards on birch bark so he could play solitaire.  

Like, if everyone but one guy taps out after 20 days, then he makes it 95 days before being pulled for medical reasons, does he get $0?

If no one goes 100, no one gets anything? What is up with this thing? 
Yep if no one goes 100 days the show doesn't pay out.

https://www.history.com/shows/alone

The rules are simple, survive 100 days and win 1 million dollars. Over 6 seasons, no one has ever lasted this long.

We don't know if anyone would have made it 100 days because second place never made it 100 days.

Watching last night's episode, and this former military guy from Oregon seems impressive so far.  My money's on him at this early juncture.

(Now watch him tap out before the episode is over.)

What is up with this thing? 
Overlooked the last part. You're meaning what's up if there's no winner? Why have a show if everyone loses? If this is the new payout going forward then surely there would be a season(s) with no winner. Do the producers get to pocket the extra millions not won? It's not going to be easy to provide food, warmth and accident free safety for 100 days. How many people are going to make it one? Three? None? 

I'm going 3.

Jordan seemed like he was ready to go 100 last season.

just watched the first two of this season... couple of unlucky tap outs. have to figure the oops/fire stick guy will be a perpetual cautionary tale for future contestants. his shelter was looking amazing too- and a shovel, lots of excess body fat and hot-tub to boot? he may have been well positioned to go far if not for :doh: . I'm having a hard time telling some of the guys apart so far, so not sure if the guy who tapped with the knee injury was in a good spot or bad with food/etc.

eta: also have to figure blonde woman's shelter will be an issue in future episodes.

Looks like they got a badass cast on this season. Much more than in the past. Think they haven’t even shown a couple of them yet.

Of the ones they have focused on just seems like whoever can take down a big animal could last 100 easy. 

@mr furley posted in the streaming thread that he's just started watching from the beginning...so I decided to as well.

With a guy losing his fire stick in the first few episodes of S1, you'd think people would have these surgically attached by now. Feel less sympathetic to the guy in current season ep1 for making the same mistake.

And S1... 4 people done in the first 4 days! Granted- bears literally at their doorstop.

How do you go on a "fish hike" and NOT bring your bow with you? :doh:  She would have been set, instead watched it swim away.

I really like Amos. He had to grow up in the jungles of El Salvadore when he was a kid so he could survive their Civil war. I bet he makes it to the end unless he has an accident.

Roland's rock house rocks.

But the moose...it was already swimming- wouldn't she have needed to jump in to try to retrieve the thing even if she shot and killed it?

Joe has to be the next to go...doesn't seem like a place for aesthetics and fine joinery- get it done and get some eats.

I wrapped up S1, and the winner basically had it all dialed as a paradigm for the show. Minimize calorie expenditure, maximize passive hunting, hunker down.

El Floppo said:

But the moose...it was already swimming- wouldn't she have needed to jump in to try to retrieve the thing even if she shot and killed it?

Joe has to be the next to go...doesn't seem like a place for aesthetics and fine joinery- get it done and get some eats.

I wrapped up S1, and the winner basically had it all dialed as a paradigm for the show. Minimize calorie expenditure, maximize passive hunting, hunker down.
The last season shifted the game plan for how to win the show in a good way. The stay in your bunker and won’t work for 100 days in the Arctic. The only way I see a person lasting that long is get a big animal and have your shelter and crafting skills be top notch.  

El Floppo said:

She first saw the Moose on land and maybe 20 yards away. It then started to swim away and she started making a female moose sound.. And to her surprise it started swimming back at her and without a weapon decided not to keep calling. Decent chance that if she had her bow she Kills it right away.. Or has a chance to call it back in.. :doh:  

Dezbelief said:
She first encountered the moose before it got in the water.

She first saw the Moose on land and maybe 20 yards away. It then started to swim away and she started making a female moose sound.. And to her surprise it started swimming back at her and without a weapon decided not to keep calling. Decent chance that if she had her bow she Kills it right away.. Or has a chance to call it back in.. :doh:  
Thanks guys...I watched on my phone last night late, and clearly missed the moose on land.

The last season shifted the game plan for how to win the show in a good way. The stay in your bunker and won’t work for 100 days in the Arctic. The only way I see a person lasting that long is get a big animal and have your shelter and crafting skills be top notch.  
So basically my 9yo minecraft playing daughter.

For safety reasons alone, I dont see why you would ever be without your bow?

Joe has no shot at making it to the end. Seems like they found him at a Starbucks. 
Agree, he is a big guy that is eating berries and some squirrels and seems fine with it.  But it’s clearly not a winning strategy.

Had never heard of this show until this thread.  Went back to the beginning and started watching S1.  I love the contrast in personalities between the contestants.  Dude had his gill net washed out by the tide, and it's all "woe is me, I can't catch fish now, guess I'm done, gonna have to find some seaweed to eat".  Dude #2 also isn't catching any fish, but decides to build a giant wicker net/trap because his bottles catch minnows like crazy.  Dude #3 has a bow and arrows, but hasn't even attempted to find a squirrel or land animal, or bow fish, he'd rather set up falling rock traps to capture mice so he can live off the equivalent of one cocktail sausage a day...

What the bleep have those two contestants who, after 3 weeks, still don't have shelter built been doing with their days.   :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread