What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Price of Solar Has Dropped 50% in Last 16 Months (1 Viewer)

:(

As of November - 3 states with nothing, we live in Alabama and our cabin will be in Tennessee. :wall:
Damn!

I would look hard at battery storage. I like the idea of re-purposing a used electric car battery. Looks like a new Nissan Leaf battery is $6500 (for 30 kwh), so you'd think something would be available for a fraction of that.

Price of renewables now as low or lower than fossil fuels in 30 countries of the world

Per World Economic Forum

ETA: By 2020 solar is expected to have a lower cost (Levelised Cost Of Electricity) than fossil fuels all over the world 

Last edited by a moderator:
msommer said:
Price of renewables now as low or lower than fossil fuels in 30 countries of the world

Per World Economic Forum

ETA: By 2020 solar is expected to have a lower cost (Levelised Cost Of Electricity) than fossil fuels all over the world 
They can't even keep their website powered up (the link doesn't pull up anything).

I think you guys going solar today will regret not waiting a few more years.  That 25K to get to $0 in money bills will probably drop to 10K before 2021 imo.

I think you guys going solar today will regret not waiting a few more years.  That 25K to get to $0 in money bills will probably drop to 10K before 2021 imo.
I won't regret a thing.  I hope that happens.  Will be thrilled if it does.

Our system was installed a few years ago. 6.76 kW (26 panels at 260kW ea). About $19k with 50% rebate from city and 30% fed inc tax credit netted about $6,500 out of pocket. Provides between 50-60% of our annual power need. Usually have a few months in the Spring and Fall that are zero or negative bill. Panels are guaranteed for 10 years. Warranty is 90% guaranteed power after 10 years and 80% after 25 years. Roughly the panels lose about .5% of power production per year. Newer panels may have better warranty. Our panels are BenQ which are made in the same factory as SunPower. Sunpower are probably the most efficient panels but the $ premium usually isn't worth it unless you are really tight on roof space. We have two 13 panel arrays split into one SunnyBoy inverter. The inverter is generally expected to be replaced around 10 years.  If one  panel goes out the whole array goes out. We haven't had any problems with any of the panels not working correctly. Micro inverters are becoming more common now so you have one small inverter at each panel at probably a 10-15% efficiency gain and keeps array operating if one of the panels goes out. We had our roof replaced last summer due to hail storm but there was no damage to the panels. Each utility company has their own unique way of "buying" your solar power. It will probably be less than what you pay for power from the utility. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla solar roof is priced lower than expected

Tesla will begin with production of two of the four styles it unveiled in October: a smooth glass and a textured glass tile. 1 Roofing a 2,000 square-foot home in New York state—with 40 percent coverage of active solar tiles and battery backup for night-time use—would cost about $50,000 after federal tax credits and generate $64,000 in energy over 30 years, according to Tesla’s website calculator

That’s more expensive upfront than a typical roof, but less expensive than a typical roof with traditional solar and back-up batteries. The warranty is for the lifetime of your home

That's a lousy article.   The Venn diagram at the bottom is particularly egregious.   It ignores long term sustainability, potential for reduced costs in solar panel production ramps up, the negative consequences of burning coal, and (weirdly) treats employment as a negative outcome.
Efficiency is a positive outcome.  Employment for employment's sake is a negative outcome.  It's an interesting viewpoint, which is why I read that blog.

Efficiency is a positive outcome.  Employment for employment's sake is a negative outcome.  It's an interesting viewpoint, which is why I read that blog.
Employment as part of an efficient and profitable enterprise is a positive outcome, and solar power is rapidly reaching that point.   Treating it as a negative outcome is flawed thinking.

Employment as part of an efficient and profitable enterprise is a positive outcome, and solar power is rapidly reaching that point.   Treating it as a negative outcome is flawed thinking.
If by "efficient and profitable" you mean "subsidized to the gills", then we agree. 

Users who are viewing this thread