What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Heroes on Deck (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
For any that are interested, this documentary is being shown this weekend. For those in Chicago, you can see this on your local PBS station. Still trying to figure out if you can stream it online.

Heroes On Deck

During WWII, they trained fighter pilots how to land on an aircraft carrier by landing on retrofitted steam ships on Lake Michigan where they built a flight deck. My grandfather was a pilot who trained here, and survived a trip in the drink when his plane malfunctioned. Anyway, this documentary tells the story of that whole operation, and apparently my late grandfather is supposed to be in this. His name was Grant Young, and this man was a true American hero.

You can also download this from the official documentary site, but it costs. So you may want to check online or you local PBS station to see if they pick it up this weekend.

Official Heroes on Deck Site.

I'm going to download the movie, but I hope you all can watch this. It is a fascinating story.

Also, here is some information about my hero, my grandfather. He passed away this year, but left one hell of a legacy. In case you might be interested:

History

Navy Cross

Naval Career

Newspaper Article

Memorial Day weekend is upon us, and I'll always remember this man and the other men and women who died for our country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread