What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jalen Hurd, SF (1 Viewer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFs9lleRbyY

I say yes, I like the way he runs. Love watching RBs who attack defenders with their pads down, and he has the size to pull that running style off in the NFL. And according to nfldraftscout.com, he ran a 40 below 4.5, which is faster than what he looks like on tape.
Definitely a guy worth watching and should be at least a mid-round pick with potential to go higher. Would probably get more press if he wasn't in the same class as Fournette, Chubb, Cook, etc. The 40-time is going to be a big key IMO because his speed is kind of hard to judge. If he really is a legit 4.4 to 4.5 back, then he's probably right in the mix as one of the top few backs despite the loaded draft class. I don't like that he's been a sub-5.0 YPC guy both years in college, but that TN line probably has a lot to do with that. 

Here's a link to him vs. UF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=modgPB0vZvM

Like his pass blocking and he does a nice job on short yardage. Load to bring down. But there seem to be some plays where he doesn't have the juice to be able to get outside that maybe some other backs might have.

Right or wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if Derrick Henry's rookie season impacts the public perception of Hurd. With 6'4" 240 size Henry may become the measuring stick for Hurd. 

I know this kid and his parents,  personally.  High character. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting guy, but I think he needs to put on more weight to be successful in the NFL. He's got OK power at the college level, but isn't dominant against smaller guys strength-wise. I'd believe that he's a low 4.5's, maybe even high 4.4's runner watching him, but a guy that big is going to get hit a lot and he needs to be the one delivering the punishment instead of just absorbing it. He's got noticeably thin arms & legs (relative, of course, this is a huge man we're talking about) and seems built like an up-sized Christian McCaffrey rather than a Derrick Henry or Brandon Jacobs.

Actually, after going back to watch some college video of the only other notable tall RB I could think of, he reminds me a lot of Eddie George. That's none too shabby for a prospect, but I was kind of shocked that Eddie George's career YPC avg is 3.6 and he only cracked 4.0 twice over nine seasons. In an NFL where they'd give a back like that 300-400 attempts that wouldn't worry me as much, but in today's NFL I think that sends you to the bench much more quickly. 

What I noticed about his clips, is that he often times had to elude defenders in the backfield due to poor O-line (presumably).  Would love to see well he could do if he actually had blocking.  Will be keeping my eye on him for sure.  He doesn't look like a sub 4.5 guy from those clips, however.  Again, he was getting hit/thrown off balance very early in a lot of those runs.  Maybe when he gets going he can turn it on?

I think he'll be drafted, but I don't know how high. I would guess middle rounds, with a range of maybe the 2nd-5th depending on how he performs next season and how well he tests in his workouts. He has some agility and foot quickness for a taller back, but doesn't really seem powerful or explosive. I would be a little bit concerned about the low YPC.

The UT line has had issues but started getting better last season. They've got a couple holes still to fill from graduations of starters but gained alot of experience last season. Hurd & Kamara swap out quite a bit & with a running QB in Dobbs, Hurd is primed for an impressive season. As a Vols fan, I'm certainly hoping so

Interesting...anyone out there following Hurd still?  Seeing some speculation that he may enter the NFL Supplemental Draft.

He's visiting schools like Cal, Louisville, Ohio State and most recently Baylor for this season though, but he'd have to sit out a year and play in 2018.  That's why the Supp Draft speculation and he seems to be in no hurry to choose a school, leaving some to believe the Supplemental Draft is his best option.

Any devy prospects still out there for Hurd?

Interesting...anyone out there following Hurd still?  Seeing some speculation that he may enter the NFL Supplemental Draft.

He's visiting schools like Cal, Louisville, Ohio State and most recently Baylor for this season though, but he'd have to sit out a year and play in 2018.  That's why the Supp Draft speculation and he seems to be in no hurry to choose a school, leaving some to believe the Supplemental Draft is his best option.

Any devy prospects still out there for Hurd?
Tip of the hat to Cleat Spike for highlighting this one:

Report: Tennessee RB Jalen Hurd could enter supplemental draft

18 for '18: College football's most freakish athletes

Excerpt:

Jalen Hurd - WR

School: Baylor 

The last we heard from Hurd, he left Butch Jones' crumbling program in the midst of the 2016 season and enrolled at Baylor, where he sat out last season under NCAA transfer rules. Let's catch you up: He's gone from one of the SEC's top running backs, at 6-4 and 240 pounds, to a 229-pound wide receiver at Baylor. That transition alone, at his size, requires rare athletic skills. Hurd can run the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds with eye-popping explosiveness (10-10 broad jump). He's also been clocked at less than 4 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle, something only three players at this year's NFL combine accomplished.

Seemed really weird at the time since he was a solid RB prospect, but if injuries were piling up it makes some sense. Also, he'll only be 23 at next year's draft, so younger than some other prospects. 

ESPN's Jake Trotter reports that Baylor redshirt senior WR Jalen Hurd underwent knee surgery on Tuesday.

Per Trotter, Hurd is not expected to be healthy enough to participate in Texas Bowl action against Vanderbilt at the end of the month. For all intents and purposes, this knee procedure will close out his collegiate career. After transitioning to receiver from running back following his transfer from Tennessee, Hurd came out to post a sharp 69-946-4 receiving line across 12 games played for the 2018 campaign. We'll keep tabs on his recovery off surgery as he heads into the draft process upcoming. Assuming he is healthy enough to test out come the combine, we could see monster athletic numbers from the wideout. Over the summer, Bleacher Report passed along from Baylor's coaching staff that Hurd was capable of posting marks including a 40-inch vertical, a 4.40-second 40-yard dash and a scintillating time of 3.8-3.9 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle. We cannot wait to see how his evaluating process plays out, as there is a ton of upside, here.

Source: Jake Trotter on Twitter 

Dec 4 - 1:46 PM

Seemed really weird at the time since he was a solid RB prospect, but if injuries were piling up it makes some sense. Also, he'll only be 23 at next year's draft, so younger than some other prospects. 

It actually makes a lot of sense from a business aspect if he can pull it off.  WRs have longer careers on average and get paid better.

Baylor WR Jalen Hurd (knee) will not participate in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

While Hurd did weigh in down in Mobile -- he measured 6-foot-4, 227 pounds, with 10 1/8-inch hands -- and is doing interviews with interested NFL teams on Tuesday, he will be sidelined for Saturday's game proper due to his ongoing recovery from a knee surgery which he underwent on Dec. 4. We would love to get a glimpse at Hurd in this setting, but even sitting out the game, he is getting important work done with those interviews, as they give him an opportunity to speak honestly about his departure from Tennessee to Baylor as well as his transition from running back to receiver. We'll have to wait and see whether the talented athlete will be able to participate in NFL Scouting Combine drills to any serious degree next month.

Source: Jessica Morrey on Twitter 

Jan 22 - 11:42 AM

Jalen Hurd - WR -  Bears

The Draft Network's Brad Kelly mocked Baylor WR Jalen Hurd to Round 5.

Hurd (6'4/227) transitioned to wide receiver at Baylor after playing running back at Tennessee. Despite being a raw receiver, Hurd was pretty productive, catching 69 passes for 946 yards and four touchdowns. If he's healthy, Hurd should post impressive NFL Combine scores, but he just had knee surgery in December, so that's up in the air. At the next level, Hurd projects as a big, versatile play-maker who offers both receiving and rushing ability. However, he's considered to be more developmental than an immediate contributor.

Source: The Draft Network 

Feb 11 - 5:01 PM

Baylor WR Jalen Hurd (knee) will only participate in the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine.

The plan is for Hurd (6'4/227) to participate in those drills during his pro day. Hurd recently underwent an operation on his knee, and isn't healthy enough -- and not willing to risk hurting himself further -- by participating in the drills in Indianapolis. He's viewed as a Day 3 prospect, but this obviously is something teams will be keeping an eye on going forward.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 25, 2019, 11:21 AM

The Draft Network's Brad Kelly lists Baylor WR Jalen Hurd's pro day as one of the most important among the wide receivers.

Much of Kelly's list of important pro day's for wideouts are players that didn't test their speed, and that qualifies for Hurd. He did, however, take part in the bench press, and he had one of the top rep counts with 22 in Indianapolis. That only answers some questions, in Kelly's eyes. "...However, teams are still going to want to know about his top speed and explosiveness," he writes, "to see just how high his potential ceiling is at his new position." He's one of the more intriguing -- but volatile -- prospects at the position, in our eyes.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Mar 5, 2019, 7:52 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zeirlein ranks Baylor WR Jalen Hurd as the No. 11 receiver.

Hurd (6'5/226) didn't participate at the NFL Scouting Combine due to a knee injury and his pro day results may impact his ranking, but this is pretty high praise by Zierlein in this deep wide receiver class. The analyst believes Hurd is best suited outside to spread out the defense downfield but also believes Hurd can work as a back around the goal line with his running back background. Still learning the position after transitioning to receiver, Hurd may be more of a late bloomer, but Zierlein is optimistic that there is a unique role awaiting Hurd at the next level.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2019, 2:25 PM

Yahoo Sports' Eric Edholm projects Baylor WR Jalen Hurd as a Round 4 pick.

This would be great news for Hurd (6'5/226) who is returning from a knee injury and is still learning the position after starting as a running back at Tennessee. Hurd's athletic abilities are very desirable, and he flashed enough skills as a receiver in his first year to warrant an early Day 3 selection. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein anticipates Hurd to line up all over the field in the NFL and could even take snaps at running back, similarly to how the Patriots used Cordarrelle Patterson.

SOURCE: Yahoo Sports on Twitter

Mar 17, 2019, 3:40 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler gives Baylor WR Jalen Hurd a Round 4 grade.

The analyst writes, "I want to put him higher, but not necessarily higher than some of the players I have in front of him." This wide receiver class is strong and deep, so it's hard to move up the rankings this year. Hurd (6'5/226), however, could make a small climb depending on his official testing numbers, ones that could show high-end athleticism. The former running back needs to polish his receiver skills, but there is starting-caliber upside if a team takes the time to develop him.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Mar 27, 2019, 9:20 AM

Baylor WR Jalen Hurd visited the Minnesota Vikings and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Hurd (6'5/226) isn't expected to be a Day 1 starter since he's new to the position, but he does offer a versatile skill-set as a former star running back. If Hurd is drafted near the Day 2/3 turn like expected, he'll likely see NFL snaps in Year 1 mainly as a receiver, but don't be shocked if he steals a few random carries here and there if he lands on the right team.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 5, 2019, 6:54 PM

Running back Jalen Hurd ran the 40-yard dash in front of scouts for the first time since having surgery following the Texas Bowl, logging a time of 4.66 seconds. Hurd's vertical jump was 35.5 inches high, while his broad jump covered 10 feet 4 inches of ground.
Pro day results.

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Baylor WR Jalen Hurd to Terrelle Pryor.

Hurd (6'5/226) isn't nearly the athlete Pryor is but still posted a 65th percentile speed score when adjusting his 4.69-second 40-yard dash for height and weight. Zierlein notes that Hurd "was used as big slot but he might need to transition into a role outside to take advantage of his potential to stretch the field as a downfield ball-winner." The former running back has a lot of upside as a relatively raw receiver and should be off the board at some point towards the end of Day 2.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 21, 2019, 11:47 AM

49ers selected Baylor WR Jalen Hurd with the No. 67 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Hurd (6’5/228) ran ahead of Alvin Kamara as a three-year starting running back at Tennessee before transferring to Baylor for his final college season, where Hurd logged a 69/946/4 (13.7 YPR) receiving line and continued to dabble at tailback, averaging 4.4 yards per carry. Physical with natural all-purpose talent, Hurd’s biggest NFL obstacle is his position fit. His best path toward success may come in a Cordarrelle Patterson-type role, creating selective mismatches and shining on special teams. The 49ers have now double-dipped at the receiver spot, selecting Hurd in the third-round after grabbing Deebo Samuel in the second-round.

Apr 26, 2019, 7:46 PM

Poor man's Keenan Allen from what I've seen. Taller, but not as smooth.

Surprisingly little base strength considering that he's a former RB, but he plays hard.

Surprisingly little base strength considering that he's a former RB, but he plays hard.
I whiffed hard on Keenan Allen, so it makes sense that I don't like this guy either. Might have to rewatch some highlights on him and see if there's anything here. Thanks for the comparison.

How would you sum up SF's WR situation? I don't remember you being high on Pettis and from your recent posts you aren't high on Deebo. It seems there is a polar divide between all the guys on their depth chart, anything to see long term?

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you sum up SF's WR situation? I don't remember you being high on Pettis and from your recent posts you aren't high on Deebo. It seems there is a polar divide between all the guys on their depth chart, anything to see long term?
Yea, wasn't a Pettis fan. I have no dynasty involvement with him. He had a decent rookie year, but I never thought he was anything special based on his college tape.

I like Bourne as a sleeper, but if the Niners loved Bourne then they probably wouldn't have made these two WR picks.

I think Deebo is the guy to own by far. I don't like him as much as JuJu, but he's in that tradition. Big, but mobile and dangerous after the catch. Should be a PPR force. He's going to be something like Quincy Enunwa on the low end and Boldin/JuJu as a ceiling.

I'm on the fence about Hurd. Has some interesting traits with his length and competitiveness. Another possession guy, but not built as strongly as Deebo. He's not an elite mover in terms of routes and cuts, but he's not terrible. Like I said, a poor man's Keenan Allen is what I see. Similar body type and playing style. Just not as smooth. He's likely just a supporting piece in the long-term, so I wouldn't go crazy chasing him in rookie drafts, but I do consider him draftable if he falls to a low enough spot.

Users who are viewing this thread