What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official*** Trevor Siemian latest to pilot the Jets! (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
Been hearing a lot of buzz lately about Trevor Siemian getting a legit shot at starting QB. Understandably, most folks don't believe a 7th rounder will win, but nearly all of the media who has been covering OTA's is beating the Siemian drum.
Legwold:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 2h2 hours ago

Baffling how some believe guy who was eventual Super Bowl champs No. 2 QB for 2 months in '15 has "no shot'' to start #notpayingattention

Not saying Trevor wins #Broncos QB job right now, but am saying he's getting an honest look to win the job and it's wrong to say he's not.

The more people say it/write it, the more proof it is they are not talking to the people who are making the decisions.

Thus far in #Broncos offseason biggest mistake I've seen in what's been said/written about team is notion Trevor Siemian cannot win QB job.
Denver Post:

It’s an even split. The uncertainty around the Broncos’ starting quarterback competition is just as active on June 1 as it was on March 1. Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch all are getting a fair shot until one separates himself from the pack.

Sanchez is the veteran of the group, but Siemian is the leader when it comes to comfort and knowledge of the playbook. Both are far ahead of Lynch in that category.

“It’s an interesting dynamic, because Mark is the guy with the experience, but he has no experience here,” Kubiak said. “We don’t need to put too much on Mark right now. Just let him compete and play.”

Siemian made the most “wow” plays of the quarterbacks, showing off his arm strength throughout the team sessions by firing accurate passes on tightropes. He got himself into a little trouble when his feet got stagnant in the pocket when facing pressure. In a true competition, Siemian said he can win.

“You’ve just got to be consistent, follow your keys and follow your feet,” Siemian said. “We’ve got a lot of competition. … It’s fun.”
Also from Denver Post:

While the competition makes headlines, Trevor Siemian makes plays. While the competition attracts reporters, Siemian lives in the margins.

He is the Other Guy in the Broncos’ quarterback derby. The defending NFL champions return to work Tuesday for organized team activities. Mark Sanchez could be sans brace on his left thumb, as the healing process continues, potentially allowing for snaps under center. Rookie first-round draft pick Paxton Lynch will possess another week of experience in the playbook. And then there is Siemian, who will quietly go about his business.

No one is predicting that Siemian will be the Broncos’ starting QB. But his candidacy should not be dismissed out of hand, given his talent and intelligence.

“I think Trevor has a maturity to him. He’s kind of the sleeper, I would say. Trevor knows the offense. He’s very comfortable and can throw the ball too,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “We’ve also seen him make big plays in the preseason games under the lights. I wouldn’t sleep on Trevor to win the job, either.”

I remember Kubiak being highly complimentary towards Siemian last fall. I remember from pre-season last year that the dude had a live arm, he just had to polish some stuff up, and show he could play with the big boys. He was on the roster all season as at least QB3, never pushed to practice squad. It's obvious the coaches see something in the kid they like. IIRC, Kubiak didn't think Siemian would be ready until 2017, but based on latest OTA reports, he could be viable sooner.

Here's the situation right now: Lynch isn't ready. Sanchez has a hurt thumb. Both of these guys are new to the system. Only Siemian has any familiarity with the playbook and personnel, which is probably why he's looking the best so far. However, it is certainly possible that he is able to build off of what he knows, and makes this a legit QB competition come July.

It's a situation worth watching.

Last edited:
Cecil with a contrarian view.

=====================

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey  23h23 hours ago
Cecil Lammey Retweeted N.d. Jones
Siemian has big arm, but control/accuracy has always been a problem. Struggles under pressure too- not a starter IMOCecil Lammey added,
N.d. Jones @stuntmannate
@CecilLammey Could Siemian realistically start this season? A lot of hype surrounding him in OTAs.

Ian Fitzsimmons on ESPN's Football Today podcast has been crowing about Trevor Siemian since Brock Lobster went to Houston.  He heard from 1 guy that the kid didn't look too bad and now he's his biggest fan.

Based on this alone I'd say that Siemian either never starts for the Broncos or if he does, he gets destroyed.

Bracie Smathers said:

=====================

Siemian has big arm, but control/accuracy has always been a problem. Struggles under pressure too- not a starter IMOCecil Lammey added,
N.d. Jones @stuntmannate
@CecilLammey Could Siemian realistically start this season? A lot of hype surrounding him in OTAs.

Virtually guarantees Siemian wins the job.  

Bracie Smathers said:

=====================

N.d. Jones @stuntmannate

His opinions regarding Denver have been hit and miss.

His opinions regarding Denver have been hit and miss.
Who isn't is hit/miss?  Cecil's opinion is as valid as Klis.

Seimian is the only QB with experience in Kubiak's system, it would be a story if he were not ahead right now.  

Sanchez just had surgery on his wrist and isn't on the field.

Paxton Lynch isn't ready to take control as a rookie.

Who isn't is hit/miss?  Cecil's opinion is as valid as Klis.

Seimian is the only QB with experience in Kubiak's system, it would be a story if he were not ahead right now.  

Sanchez just had surgery on his wrist and isn't on the field.

Paxton Lynch isn't ready to take control as a rookie.
Just saying. His word about Denver isn't as gold as a lot of people make around here.

Surely Kubiak doesn't expect us to swallow this Siemian story.  We're not his wife. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt they go to this much trouble to sign one QB and draft another if they were confident in Seimian.
We could go to last year when there were some fans that wanted the Titans to go with Mett. Drafting Mariota means that's not happening. 

In a similar way, Seimian fans got their message from Elway. He's not their guy.

Setting aside the fact that Lammey initially pimped Ronnie "Jump Cuts" Hillman, how do you figure CJ Anderson is a hit?  Unless Lammey was saying to avoid him at his cost, I don't think CJ's 143 fantasy points last season would qualify as any kind of "hit."   He was unstartable last season with his 9.43 PPG (including a huge outlier vs. the Pats).   Heck Cecil should have stuck to his Hillman guns, because Hillman actually outscored Anderson last season in both overall and PPG.

Try again.  

More Legwold:

Believe it or not, Trevor Siemian could be Broncos starter

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos coach Gary Kubiak says he has three quarterbacks he likes, three quarterbacks he believes are good enough to start.

Mark Sanchez's résumé includes seven NFL seasons with 72 regular-season starts and six in the playoffs. Paxton Lynch, drafted in the first round in May, is a prized rookie they hope is a franchise quarterback in waiting.

And then there's the third guy, sort of the middle-child quarterback, the guy nobody's really talking about outside of the walls of the Broncos' suburban Denver complex. The guy Kubiak says has "the pro arm" has been mentored byPeyton Manning and certainly knows the Broncos' offense as the team closes in on the end of its offseason program -- Trevor Siemian.

Cornerback Chris Harris Jr. said: "Trevor has a maturity to him. He's kind of the sleeper, I would say. Of course Mark and Paxton are going to be the headlines, but Trevor knows the offense. He's very comfortable and can throw the ball, too. We've also seen him make big plays in the preseason games under the lights. I wouldn't sleep on Trevor to win the job."

Other Broncos, like linebacker Brandon Marshall and safety T.J. Ward, have echoed that thought. Super Bowl MVP Von Miller, who has missed the team's offseason work in search of long-term deal, has said, "Trevor, he can make any throw. We've seen it every day in practice."

So is Siemian just part of the annual happy talk during organized team activities, when players speak of being in the best shape of their lives and coaches never met a player they didn't like? Or is Siemian really in the mix to compete for the starting job? Siemian believes he is because the Broncos' decision-makers, most notably Kubiak and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, have told him so.

"He said it himself, it's light years from last year," Dennison said. "He knows where everybody is. He knows what he's supposed to do and he handles the huddle really well. He's done a good job of really developing and really paying close attention to the two guys last year that played quite a bit for us. He's done a good job of developing."

"Trevor has been around good players," Kubiak added. "He knows how to handle himself."

Siemian, who was selected by Denver in the seventh round of the 2015 draft, may have the strongest arm of the Broncos quarterbacks, and because he spent the Super Bowl season as the No. 3 quarterback -- and the backup to Brock Osweiler during Manning's recovery from a foot injury -- he has the most experience in the team's offense.

As Kubiak has tried to split the practice plays -- including time spent in the starting offense -- among the three quarterbacks, there are times when Siemian has been the most comfortable and proficient.

"Last year was a heck of a ride, and I wasn't looking too far ahead," Siemian said. "I had no clue what was going to happen. I was just kind of holding on to the seat of my pants last year and taking everything in.

"I think it's a little unique, definitely, compared to last year with [Manning and Osweiler]. ... I'm a year in, but there still is a lot to learn. I think I'm trying to do a good job of remembering that and just getting better every day."

Kubiak said this week he doesn't have a timeline to name a starter or to even set the depth chart. He wants the three quarterbacks to compete and one will eventually "step forward" in time for the team to prepare for the regular season.

And he has said, despite plenty of public opinion to the contrary, that Siemian could be that guy if he wins the job.

"We'll see," Kubiak said. "We'll see what happens."

"[The decision is] over my head," Siemian said. "I just take the reps I get and try to make the most of them. I've told you I feel pretty confident right now. I'm going to keep rolling with it. If they tell me to go with the ones ... I'm taking what I can get right now and trying to do my best."

Setting aside the fact that Lammey initially pimped Ronnie "Jump Cuts" Hillman, how do you figure CJ Anderson is a hit?  Unless Lammey was saying to avoid him at his cost, I don't think CJ's 143 fantasy points last season would qualify as any kind of "hit."   He was unstartable last season with his 9.43 PPG (including a huge outlier vs. the Pats).   Heck Cecil should have stuck to his Hillman guns, because Hillman actually outscored Anderson last season in both overall and PPG.

Try again.  
For what it's worth, Anderson is likely be to a "hit" this year. That's because after playing second fiddle to Hillman most of the season and being stuck in a RBBC, the Broncos finally figured out late in the season that Anderson as the bellcow back gave them the best chance to succeed. He did well at the end of the regular season and continued that throughout the post-season through the Super Bowl victory, clearly supplanting Hillman.

In the off-season they gave Anderson a big money 4-year deal and Hillman a much smaller 1 year deal. It is clear who they plan to be the bellcow back. As the bellcow back, Anderson is likely to get far more volume and put up way better numbers that last year.

Well a UDFA unknown that he was saying was worth watching, who then turned into a consensus 1st round redraft pick I would say was a hit. Sorry he didn't perform up to your expectations last year - he helped me win a championship in 2014 :shrug:

I doubt they go to this much trouble to sign one QB and draft another if they were confident in Seimian.
We could go to last year when there were some fans that wanted the Titans to go with Mett. Drafting Mariota means that's not happening. 

In a similar way, Seimian fans got their message from Elway. He's not their guy.
I doubt any team has ever trusted 7th rounder Qb to be their starter before they saw him in action while training... it's too early to say anything, but just because they drafted a QB is completely stupid to make a judgement that this kid can't do it. It's not like Paxton has proved anything yet and while I still believe he will be the starter in Denver when the season starts, he could as well be sitting in the bench learning basic NFL-rookie stuff. 

I doubt any team has ever trusted 7th rounder Qb to be their starter before they saw him in action while training... it's too early to say anything, but just because they drafted a QB is completely stupid to make a judgement that this kid can't do it. It's not like Paxton has proved anything yet and while I still believe he will be the starter in Denver when the season starts, he could as well be sitting in the bench learning basic NFL-rookie stuff. 
I wrote draft and sign a QB, that's two, but thank you for calling me stupid.

Please list the hundreds of examples showing that this isn't true. If it's a stupid notion, then you must have many examples.

I will start you off with the Chargers having Brees and drafting Rivers and the Giants having Kurt Warner (who seemed done) and drafting Eli.

I wrote draft and sign a QB, that's two, but thank you for calling me stupid.

Please list the hundreds of examples showing that this isn't true. If it's a stupid notion, then you must have many examples.

I will start you off with the Chargers having Brees and drafting Rivers and the Giants having Kurt Warner (who seemed done) and drafting Eli.
I didn't call you stupid, I said it was stupid to judge a qb based on what team has done in the off-season. No need to make it sound like personal attack against you. I just think no matter what Denver has done they will play the best QB and if that happens to be this guy then who cares what they did earlier. Seahawks got Flynn, and drafted Wilson... we all know how that ended? No one would have put Wilson as starter for Seahawks week 1 as they just paid ton to get Flynn. It happens and while I still think Paxton will be the guy, I think the kid has something to prove and is proving his worth in the training ground. If Kubiak likes him and Paxton can't get a grip of the NFL, then butt-fumble is the only guy in front of Trevor-have to like those chances  :thumbup:

I didn't call you stupid, I said it was stupid to judge a qb based on what team has done in the off-season. No need to make it sound like personal attack against you. I just think no matter what Denver has done they will play the best QB and if that happens to be this guy then who cares what they did earlier. Seahawks got Flynn, and drafted Wilson... we all know how that ended? No one would have put Wilson as starter for Seahawks week 1 as they just paid ton to get Flynn. It happens and while I still think Paxton will be the guy, I think the kid has something to prove and is proving his worth in the training ground. If Kubiak likes him and Paxton can't get a grip of the NFL, then butt-fumble is the only guy in front of Trevor-have to like those chances  :thumbup:
If Trevor Siemian ever gets close to the football accomplishments of Mark Sanchez, that will be a major, manor accomplishment.  

You aren't judging a QB based on team moves, you are basing a QBs chances on the situation.  It's not stupid to do that.  

The situation says that everyone else is holding the seat warm for Lynch.  No matter what, Lynch is going to get a season or two with the job to prove himself.  Will he get it this year?  I have no idea.  But if Siemian is starting a lot of games this year, I believe at some point Lynch will be starting.  Because why not get the future started ASAP?

We were told that Lynch needs to sit for a while before he can play.  He's raw, didn't play in a pro system.  Yada yada yada.  I don't believe that crap any more.  I believed it when Cam Newton came out, and then he threw for 400 yards back to back to start his career.  

Sanchez and Lynch both have better pedigrees, are better athletes, and the coaches have more invested with both of them.  

He's not even worth a taxi squad spot.  His only value would come if someone was injured during the season, and you needed an emergency starter because of bye weeks or whatever.  But that would mean he's the 2nd QB, and not the 3rd, and I have a hard tie seeing how that happens.  

Coach said nice things about him, and some in the media are looking for clicks during a down news time.  Don't be a sucker.  Ever heard a coach say he didn't like his 3rd QB?  

If Trevor Siemian ever gets close to the football accomplishments of Mark Sanchez, that will be a major, manor accomplishment.  

You aren't judging a QB based on team moves, you are basing a QBs chances on the situation.  It's not stupid to do that.  

The situation says that everyone else is holding the seat warm for Lynch.  No matter what, Lynch is going to get a season or two with the job to prove himself.  Will he get it this year?  I have no idea.  But if Siemian is starting a lot of games this year, I believe at some point Lynch will be starting.  Because why not get the future started ASAP?

We were told that Lynch needs to sit for a while before he can play.  He's raw, didn't play in a pro system.  Yada yada yada.  I don't believe that crap any more.  I believed it when Cam Newton came out, and then he threw for 400 yards back to back to start his career.  

Sanchez and Lynch both have better pedigrees, are better athletes, and the coaches have more invested with both of them.  

He's not even worth a taxi squad spot.  His only value would come if someone was injured during the season, and you needed an emergency starter because of bye weeks or whatever.  But that would mean he's the 2nd QB, and not the 3rd, and I have a hard tie seeing how that happens.  

Coach said nice things about him, and some in the media are looking for clicks during a down news time.  Don't be a sucker.  Ever heard a coach say he didn't like his 3rd QB?  
Same thing happened last year with Tyrod Taylor. I think E.J. Manuel was suppose to be the guy being the #1 pick and all. Not saying Siemian is Taylor, but I'm just looking at the situation as an outsider with nothing to gain. 

If Trevor starts and Broncos keep on winning, will they do the 49ers and change to QB anyway? I doubt it. If a guy is good enough, he's good enough and that's about it.

Still think Paxton will be the starter in Denver, but let's wait the pre-season games and judge this situation after that. All I'm saying, I have seen stranger things happen in the NFL...

Sports talk radio from Denver is clear cut.

• Sanchez is the current starter working with the ones
  • Simian wasn't mentioned or brought up so that tells me all that I need to know about his chances to be fantasy relevant 
  • Everything else is all about when Paxton Lynch takes over
Doesn't matter what coaches say, what matters is who they choose to start and who they plan as the long term starter.

From NFL.com

The development of Paxton Lynch: It's not that Lynch hasn't been covered enough -- he certainly has -- but we're less than three months away from Denver's season-opening Super Bowl rematch with the Panthers. While general manager John Elway said the first-round pick will be ready to start"quicker" than most expect, we're talking about a talented but raw prospect who played in a spread attack at Memphis that featured a host of screens, quicks and RPOs. With only the underwhelming Mark Sanchezstanding in his way, Lynch is one injury -- or one Sanchez meltdown -- away from leading Denver's title defense.

I bolded the word RAW, just to say there's a chance. 

So he's "neck and neck" with Sanchez now?  Boy that really doesn't say much for Sanchez.  Whatever the minimal training time is for a QB, that's how many weeks it will take Lynch to become the starter.

Same thing happened last year with Tyrod Taylor. I think E.J. Manuel was suppose to be the guy being the #1 pick and all. Not saying Siemian is Taylor, but I'm just looking at the situation as an outsider with nothing to gain. 

If Trevor starts and Broncos keep on winning, will they do the 49ers and change to QB anyway? I doubt it. If a guy is good enough, he's good enough and that's about it.

Still think Paxton will be the starter in Denver, but let's wait the pre-season games and judge this situation after that. All I'm saying, I have seen stranger things happen in the NFL...
Not really similar situation b/c Manuel already had a shot to start and it was obvious he wasn't any good.

Not really similar situation b/c Manuel already had a shot to start and it was obvious he wasn't any good.
Not only that but Manuel was the pick(many thought REACH) of a previous coaching regime. Taylor was the hand picked guy they brought in. There were people questioning if Manual would even make the roster last year.

Sports talk radio from Denver is clear cut.

• Sanchez is the current starter working with the ones
  • Simian wasn't mentioned or brought up so that tells me all that I need to know about his chances to be fantasy relevant 
  • Everything else is all about when Paxton Lynch takes over
Doesn't matter what coaches say, what matters is who they choose to start and who they plan as the long term starter.
I think what the coaches say is more relevant than the opinion of someone on sports talk radio.

I don't believe any of this stuff about depth charts before guys have even put pads on. 

true but "went to" and "led a team to" are two different things.  He pretty much purchased a Trent Dilfer "tagalong" ticket for those two trips.
That is actually not true at all. You may want to re-examine those two playoff runs. Sanchez made a lot of big time plays to lead them to wins. Yes, they were built on defense and running the ball, but Sanchez was also an important part of those runs.

That is actually not true at all. You may want to re-examine those two playoff runs. Sanchez made a lot of big time plays to lead them to wins. Yes, they were built on defense and running the ball, but Sanchez was also an important part of those runs.
Any starting QB in the NFL can do SOME things well and any player in the league can have some sort of highlight reel for themselves.  Even a guy like Beanie Wells has those 3-4 games where he looked like a real NFL RB.  But come on, Doc. I know you're a Jets fan so I give you benefit of fan loyalty AND more knowledge of all things Jets than me but are you sincerely saying that Mark Sanchez was instrumental to those teams, couldn't have gotten as far as they did without him and that this guy, now two teams later is the "answer" for the Broncos?

I'm just on the outside looking in from the peanut gallery here but the quick glance I see is he wasn't wanted to be kept by the Jets, He wasn't wanted to be kept by the Eagles, he wasn't the Broncos first trading option attempt, the Broncos invested a first round pick (trade up to get to) in order to draft a QB, and some afterthought QB who has never moved the needle a day in his life in the NFL is supposedly "neck and neck" with him right now according to the HC.  I usually don't get into the "over/under" stuff so I may be saying it wrong, but if I were betting I'd say there is zero chance he is the starter all year and that in itself, to me, says the team can't see him as the guy.

But come on, Doc. I know you're a Jets fan so I give you benefit of fan loyalty AND more knowledge of all things Jets than me but are you sincerely saying that Mark Sanchez was instrumental to those teams, couldn't have gotten as far as they did without him and that this guy, now two teams later is the "answer" for the Broncos?
I didn't said any of that.

One person basically summed up Sanchez' career based on one fluky/embarrassing play so I just offered a different perspective (and a more telling one) on his time with the Jets. I then also corrected a statement that you made where you implied the team went to those two AFC championships despite Sanchez not because of him. I'm not sure how you would want to define "instrumental" - I wouldn't go that far - but he was an important piece and contributed to the wins over Cinncy, SD, Indy and NE. He played very well during those two runs. The supporting cast around Sanchez got worse and worse during his time with the Jets and he got "shell-shocked" during a Sunday Night game against Baltimore when Mangold went out early and they had no real backup and he seemed to never recover from that game. Then he fell out of Rex Ryan's favor, although he clearly outplayed Geno Smith that preseason and should have been the starter if Ryan didn't stupidly put him into the 4th Q of the third preseason game against the Giants behind the 3rd/4th string o-line because he "wanted to win" the game where he busted up his shoulder.

Is he the "answer" for the Broncos? - no, but I suspect he can play better than Manning did last season - that wouldn't be very difficult. And I see no chance of Trevor Siemen starting over him.

One person basically summed up Sanchez' career based on one fluky/embarrassing play so I just offered a different perspective (and a more telling one) on his time with the Jets. I then also corrected a statement that you made where you implied the team went to those two AFC championships despite Sanchez not because of him. I'm not sure how you would want to define "instrumental" - I wouldn't go that far - but he was an important piece and contributed to the wins over Cinncy, SD, Indy and NE. He played very well during those two runs. The supporting cast around Sanchez got worse and worse during his time with the Jets and he got "shell-shocked" during a Sunday Night game against Baltimore when Mangold went out early and they had no real backup and he seemed to never recover from that game. Then he fell out of Rex Ryan's favor, although he clearly outplayed Geno Smith that preseason and should have been the starter if Ryan didn't stupidly put him into the 4th Q of the third preseason game against the Giants behind the 3rd/4th string o-line because he "wanted to win" the game where he busted up his shoulder.

Is he the "answer" for the Broncos? - no, but I suspect he can play better than Manning did last season - that wouldn't be very difficult. And I see no chance of Trevor Siemen starting over him.
Gotcha.  As I said, I'm okay deferring Jets info to you because I know I don't know it like you do. Your example is a good illustration.  Good recap of those last Jets events and how they played out.

I agree that I think the Sieman stuff has no legs. That's really my entire reason for visiting this thread. I don't buy it.  I'm not sure about Sanchez not being able to play worse than Manning. It's still a mental position to a large degree and I suspect we will see some plays this year where announcers will imply that "those are the kinds of plays you can't make" and "the kind that Manning wouldn't make".  But that's another topic. My main focus is I don't see either as the "answer" and I certainly don't see Sieman as a legit option here.

Ok, here's what I didn't do. I didn't sum up his career, I was being sarcastic. I only tried to say that he isn't the most reliable guy what comes to querterbacking. And I think you and I both know this, because as a Jets fan you also know that he's no longer playing with the Jets for the same reason. I'm not saying Simian is better, I'm just stating the fact the people seem to hang in the past when it comes to NFL and there's always guys that come behind and are more reliable and better. No need to name names, because there are like hundreds of those guys who were not drafted in the first round and still proved they belong. 

So, if you are certain that Trevor won't start ahead of Sanchez, you can be. I see the situation wide open as it is and I haven't bet a single horse in this race and if I had to, I would bet Paxton. Then again, not sure Paxton is the answer as I recall right, there's quite a few first round QB's that haven't made it. So I think there is always a chance and I think Trevor thinks so too- so at least there is two of us.

And no, nothing against Sanchez either, if he could be more reliable and fits perfectly in Broncos system, he could have a fantastic season- you  never know.

Fact is, Sanchez is still in the NFL.  Only him and Stafford remain from the 2009 class.  He's not great but he's got NFL caliber talent. Better than most backups.  He's got a lot of experience in big games.  

Users who are viewing this thread