What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bug Zappers/Mosquito control (1 Viewer)

PinkydaPimp

Footballguy
Ok talk to me about mosquitos.  I am looking to find something for outdoor use.  I see they have the candles, the UV bug zappers, ones with a lure.  The goal is to use one for when we are outdoors during the summer.   With a soon to be pregnant wife, need to ensure there arent many mosquitos around with this whole zika scare. 

Anyone have any recommendations?

If you plan on being outside fog it before you go out.  They sell the mosquuto fog sprays by the rest of the bug sprays at the big boxes.

Another thing you can do is make sure you don't have any sitting water anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fog sprays are pretty good.  Where are you at outside?  If you are on a porch or patio you could buy a roll of screen and staple it around the patio/porch.   This would keep all the bugs out.  We did this last year and so far it's been exceptional.

Also, keep the lawn short and look for any areas where stagnant water would reside and get rid of it.  This would help as well.   

We live in South Carolina and everyone her struggles with mosquitos.  We had a misting system installed a couple months ago and noticed it makes a HUGE difference.  Mister comes on for 45 seconds twice a day, repels the mosquitos and kills the larvae.  

Cost is not insignificant ($2000 install + $500 annual maintenance/refills of the tank), but in terms of comprehensive mosquito control, we're really happy with the results.

Fog sprays are pretty good.  Where are you at outside?  If you are on a porch or patio you could buy a roll of screen and staple it around the patio/porch.   This would keep all the bugs out.  We did this last year and so far it's been exceptional.

Also, keep the lawn short and look for any areas where stagnant water would reside and get rid of it.  This would help as well.   
Thanks i will look into this fog spray. 

Bug zappers don't work and if you have Junebugs it's gonna be a huge mess.  Spray yourself with some Off, go out into the night with confidence. 

I don't know how well bug zappers work, but I'll tell you - if you do a decent amount of mushrooms/acid and are pretty jacked up, just lick blades of grass and then put them in the zapper while holding them.  

It's pretty awesome.  

Kept me busy for several hours.

I remember seeing these fogger things a few years ago that you hooked up to a BBQ propane tank. Really wanted one, but they were pretty expensive. Now, I can't seem to find them at all.

Did they end up killing people or something with these? 

I remember seeing these fogger things a few years ago that you hooked up to a BBQ propane tank. Really wanted one, but they were pretty expensive. Now, I can't seem to find them at all.

Did they end up killing people or something with these? 
This is what is popular in New England:

http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/store/mosquito-magnet-traps/trap-bundles?gclid=CL39rOCWk80CFU88gQodhtALQw

Not a fogger. It basically creates Co2 from the propane tank that attracts Mosquitoes and they fly into a netted "trap".

Suppose it's healthier for the people, birds, environment than spewing poisonous fog into the atmosphere.

There is a bird named the Purple Martin that takes care of mosquitoes.

I have noticed businesses starting to pop up that offer a monthly service.  Mosquito Joe is the name of one, and I heard Terminex advertising a similar service on the radio.  They are all jumping on the zika bandwagon .

cobalt_27 said:
We live in South Carolina and everyone her struggles with mosquitos.  We had a misting system installed a couple months ago and noticed it makes a HUGE difference.  Mister comes on for 45 seconds twice a day, repels the mosquitos and kills the larvae.  

Cost is not insignificant ($2000 install + $500 annual maintenance/refills of the tank), but in terms of comprehensive mosquito control, we're really happy with the results.
We have one of these. I don't know how effective it is running on a timer. I think setting it to nuke about 10 or 15 min before going out is ideal. 

I think it's a fantasy that it does anything to destroy the life cycle nuking 1500sqft of real estate and mosquitos operate in a square mile 

We have one of these. I don't know how effective it is running on a timer. I think setting it to nuke about 10 or 15 min before going out is ideal. 

I think it's a fantasy that it does anything to destroy the life cycle nuking 1500sqft of real estate and mosquitos operate in a square mile 
:shrug:  I dunno.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but we have observed a massive decline in our backyard.  We even had a nice A-B-A-B study design when our nozzle lines were cut by landscapers who were laying new sod.  We're without misting system for two weeks and notices a huge increase in mosquitos and gnats by the middle/end of the second week.  Lines repaired, mister functioned again and by day 3 hardly noticed any of them around again.

I spray the yard with this stuff from Cutter that you hook up to your hose.  The last few years, I've done it at the beginning of summer and the middle.  Doesn't make them go away 100%, but it does seem to knock them back a lot.

:shrug:  I dunno.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but we have observed a massive decline in our backyard.  We even had a nice A-B-A-B study design when our nozzle lines were cut by landscapers who were laying new sod.  We're without misting system for two weeks and notices a huge increase in mosquitos and gnats by the middle/end of the second week.  Lines repaired, mister functioned again and by day 3 hardly noticed any of them around again.
I think the stuff is effective, but I just doubt it needs to be run 2x a day to maintain usefulness.  A huge blast right before you anticipate going outside seems fine from where I've applied it and you don't have to spend as much keeping it full.  I also worry about just sending that stuff out from an ecological perspective on a timer.

Just googling it seems like most mosquitoes keep a range of 1-3 miles and some up to 7 miles.  Any effect you are seeing is most likely a placebo effect. 

I think the stuff is effective, but I just doubt it needs to be run 2x a day to maintain usefulness.  A huge blast right before you anticipate going outside seems fine from where I've applied it and you don't have to spend as much keeping it full.  I also worry about just sending that stuff out from an ecological perspective on a timer.

Just googling it seems like most mosquitoes keep a range of 1-3 miles and some up to 7 miles.  Any effect you are seeing is most likely a placebo effect. 
Well, I don't have a mosquito counter, so I can't confirm or reject the hypothesis in a controlled double-blind prospective study that there are fewer mosquitos with the mister in a timer.  But, it's pretty clear there's been a reduction.  Not complete 100% probably because! as you mentioned! they can come from all over.  But, the "locals" don't seem to enjoy our space in the same way as they had in the past.  And, I am quite familiar with the concept of the placebo effect in a research context, and I am quite confident that doesn't quite apply here.

Anyway, the OP was asking what has worked in people's experience, and I'm relating my experience.  And, in my experience, it has been an outstanding method for mosquito control.  I cannot speak to the possible environmental hazards, as I simply do not have enough information to make a determination one way or another.  But, for our backyard and for the problems we faced, it has been quite effective.

Well, I don't have a mosquito counter, so I can't confirm or reject the hypothesis in a controlled double-blind prospective study that there are fewer mosquitos with the mister in a timer.  But, it's pretty clear there's been a reduction.  Not complete 100% probably because! as you mentioned! they can come from all over.  But, the "locals" don't seem to enjoy our space in the same way as they had in the past.  And, I am quite familiar with the concept of the placebo effect in a research context, and I am quite confident that doesn't quite apply here.

Anyway, the OP was asking what has worked in people's experience, and I'm relating my experience.  And, in my experience, it has been an outstanding method for mosquito control.  I cannot speak to the possible environmental hazards, as I simply do not have enough information to make a determination one way or another.  But, for our backyard and for the problems we faced, it has been quite effective.
Well a placebo effect over just on a per-use case.  I've noticed that after a blast it can stay decent back there for 4-5 hours.  I think the stuff acts as much of a repellent as a -cide.

how's this working out for you?

thinking of installing some on my property
Bats houses are the way to go. They eat a lot of mosquitoes.  Also because of the bacterial disease that is now spreading across the US killing bats it is an extremely efficient way to help insure the bats survive this disease. 

Plus if you have kids they are fun to watch Cole shooting out of the box at night. 

I'd be 100000X more concerned about my pregnant wife being exposed to unnecessary pesticides than her getting the Zika virus here in the US from a mosquito (has this even happened anywhere?).

I've had success with Thermacell. https://youtu.be/QhSPfAA6YGw

The butane fuel goes faster than one would think, so get backups and turn off when not in use.

I have 2 portable devices and 2 lanterns.

ETA: I have used these items outside my house. I conserve when hunting, fishing, or camping, for some strange reason when I use them at home I'll let the butane keep burning when I go inside.

Users who are viewing this thread