What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Mom (1 Viewer)

ClownCausedChaos2

Footballguy
[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Tomorrow is my Mom’s 66th birthday.  Today, she lays in a Hospice bed in her home of forty years, waiting for an aggressive cancer that has taken over her body to end her life.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Mom graduated high school at 17, married my dad, and skipped her high school graduation ceremony to move to San Diego and be with him while he served his country in the Navy during the Vietnam War.  She raised my oldest sister as a baby  while Dad did three tours.  That was the beginning of Mom living her life for her family.  As the years went by, Mom and Dad had another daughter, then me.  They loved us.  There was never a moment when we doubted our Mom’s love for us.  She may not have always liked us, but she always loved us.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]As we grew and got busier, Mom never missed a thing.  My sisters did ballet, recitals, softball, and color guard.  From the time I was seven years old, I did elementary school plays, speech festivals, t-ball, soccer, basketball, baseball, and football through high school.  Through all of that, I can remember Mom missing exactly one event.  During one particular football game, the rain and wind was so bad that the band, the cheerleaders, the student section, and most of the fans left.  But at the end of the game, there was Mom.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Dad coached high school baseball and football for twenty years.  This was before the days of cell phones, so she never knew exactly when he would be coming home on game nights.  Yet, she always had dinner waiting for him and kept warm.  Don’t get me wrong: Mom was a great wife, but never a Stepford wife.  There was a mutual respect between my parent and my father was always grateful towards her.  He thanked her for the dinners.  Mom had enough pride and individuality that if he would have ever barked at her about dinner, he would have worn it and it would have been the last time she cooked for him.  He knew it, too.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]More years passed and she became a grandmother.  And she was the best at that, too.  She was an active and fun grandmother.  She played and wrestled with her six grandsons.  She brought them gifts, she spoiled them.  She got them tired and gave them sore bellies from the chocolate and candy, then left my sisters and I to deal with them.  She called it “payback” for the crap we gave her growing up, and she did it all with a grin.  If we were ever in a pinch and in need of a babysitter, she was always available.  A grandchild could wake up sick on a day when you had to be to work and no babysitter was available, and you could call Mom at 6 AM.  She would hop out of bed and be there to help.  And she never missed any of their events, either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]She loved us.  And until she takes her last breath sometime this weekend, somewhere in her, she will still love us.  And we will always love her.  They say that nobody is perfect and Mom wasn’t.  But damn, was she close.[/SIZE]

I'm sorry CCC, I lost my mother when she was only 46 to breast cancer. My last memory is her hooked up to a machine, it's a terrible way to go. My thoughts and prayers to your mom and also you and immediate family because eventually her pain will end and while relieved at first, your pain will soon begin again. Stay strong, and I can appreciate you sharing this with all of us.

My mom died of cancer at 54.  I can't say that we were super close (partly my own fault for sure), but when she went into the hospital for the last time and I walked in and realized that it was the end, it was one of the two most painful experiences of my life.

good luck with everything.

If you got even a fraction of your hilarity from your mother, she must've been an incredibly amazing person.

Thoughts are with you and your family, gb.

Stay strong, and celebrate her life.  My mom passed away last February form cancer at 66 or so - it sucks.  If there was any silver lining to the circumstances, she knew it was coming and was able to spend time with everyone and have her affairs in order.

Thanks for posting that; she sounds great. So sorry for the situation you all are going through. My thoughts and prayers to you all.

and #### cancer.

You are so fortunate to have had such a special person shape your life. So sorry she won't be around to make more memories but the love she has instilled in you will be with you for the rest of your life. Thanks for sharing- a great reminder for me to call my mom which I don't do as often as I should and am literally going to do right now. My thoughts are with you. 

Lost both my mom and mother in law to cancer. May her legacy always love on through you. My thoughts are with you.

F u c k.cancer

Sorry to hear that.  Your tribute was beautiful, and she sounds like an amazing lady.  I lost my Mom at a young age.  Over the years I grew to appreciate just how fortunate I was to have had her as my mom for the short time that I did.  I never imagined the gratitude would replace the bitterness and sadness, but it did.  There aren't a lot of truly great people in this world, and you and I were lucky to have two of them.  God bless.

After all these years, I still can't think of the day my mom died without tearing up. Stay strong Chaos. Treasure the memories.

Your post is an amazing tribute to your Mom and I'm sure she would be damn proud of you for writing it. 

Sorry to hear about her current situation. Sounds like a great lady!

I lost my mom in October to cancer.  I can certainly relate.  I have so many regrets.  I still facebook message her privately.  Crazy, I know.  Tears in my eyes for you right now CCC.  It ####### hurts.  Don't be selfish with your grief.  Make sure you put your kids first.  Ask them how they are.  Neices and nephews too.  Let them cry on your shoulder and cry back on theirs.  

You are so fortunate to have had such a special person shape your life. So sorry she won't be around to make more memories but the love she has instilled in you will be with you for the rest of your life. Thanks for sharing- a great reminder for me to call my mom which I don't do as often as I should and am literally going to do right now. My thoughts are with you. 
Thank you.  And this is a great reminder to everyone.  Three months ago, my mother was in great shape.  The doctor called her vitals signs "beautiful".  When we met with the palliative care doctor, we asked what could have caused this when our mother was so healthy (the source of the cancer was lung cancer).  The doctor's reply was "sometimes it just picks someone for no reason."

Go call your moms.

Cancer is a ####. Beautiful tribute to your mom. Wishing her peace and comfort. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. X

Thank you.  And this is a great reminder to everyone.  Three months ago, my mother was in great shape.  The doctor called her vitals signs "beautiful".  When we met with the palliative care doctor, we asked what could have caused this when our mother was so healthy (the source of the cancer was lung cancer).  The doctor's reply was "sometimes it just picks someone for no reason."

Go call your moms.
There is no rhyme or reason with cancer. So many of us get it who are a model of health. We do everything 'right': eat right, exercise, good bmi... Then you hear the words and wonder what you did wrong. I know I did until I saw I'm not the only one who was doing things 'right' and got it. One reason why I personally don't think they'll be a cure. Too many unknown variables.

you are off my favorites here ccc and i will keep your mom and you in my thoughts and prayers be strong 

Thank you for that. I needed to read that. My mom is about the same age and confined to a wheelchair in a nursing home because of a stroke.  I have a hard time visiting her because she is not the same bundle of energy chasing after the grandkids I am used to seeing but at least her mind is there and she is still here with us.

Thoughts and prayers for your family.

I'm sorry.  I lost my Mom just shy of her 70th birthday to cancer.  That was 2 years ago, and I still miss her.  Prayers for your family.

I lost my Mom to COPD last October. I'm a self sufficient adult who makes a good living and has everything I need. I severely underestimated how much she still gave me though. Every week, I still get punched in the gut when I come across something in her distinct handwriting. Or there's a void in a night when I would have typically gotten a call from her just checking in on me.  There are lots of tears and lots of laughs in your months ahead. Celebrate all of them.  Peace and love to you and your family. 

You're doing this exactly right.  It would be easy to rant and rave about the unfairness of it all, the arbitrary way this awful disease strikes, and say "Why her?".  Instead, celebrate the best parts, focus on the memories you will want to hang on to going forward, and remember it will get a little better every day.  Hang tough.

You're doing this exactly right.  It would be easy to rant and rave about the unfairness of it all, the arbitrary way this awful disease strikes, and say "Why her?".  Instead, celebrate the best parts, focus on the memories you will want to hang on to going forward, and remember it will get a little better every day.  Hang tough.
I'm a firm believer that death should be a reflection on a celebration of the person's life.  Sure, there is time to mourn, but you have to focus on the good.  She gave me a lot and taught me even more.

Like the rest of the board I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  I appreciate your heartfelt post and enjoyed reading about your mom.

Wish I could do more but T&Ps CCC

my mom is about to turn 83, and has been under care for the past 2 years due to a nasty spill which caused brain trauma, and the onset of Alzheimers

absolutely gut wrenching to see this tough, independent (we lost dad to cancer in '78, she never even dated again) proud Irish woman be so weakened.  at times I can't even bear the thought of talking to her on the phone, let alone seeing her, in such a debilitated state ... it kills me to see her so addled and weak.  

but she's a fighter, always has been.  doctors said most at her age/condition would've succumbed already by virtue of 'quitting'

reading this amazing tribute to your Mom really moved me, and made me remember the good times with my mom - thank you for that

may God bless your Mom , and all of her friends,family and loved ones 

damn. tough for me to even write in here... really beautifully written- an amazing woman (and son). best wishes to you and yours, CCC.

lost my dad to pancreatic cancer on christmas eve before I even knew he was sick (a week after the diagnosis). we didn't get to say goodbye, he didn't get to meet my kids... ####### cancer. all my thoughts and prayers this weekend, CCC.

I'm a firm believer that death should be a reflection on a celebration of the person's life.  Sure, there is time to mourn, but you have to focus on the good.  She gave me a lot and taught me even more.
It took me 6 months to "get over" my mother's death. Don't get me wrong, you never truly get over it but you do find ways to move on after some time. The worst part for me was the week leading up until her death. After that, there were some very sad moments but each day you feel a smidge happier and happier and you gain a tiny bit of more and more strength. Lean on your family and friends and they will get you through any tough times. Trust me.

There are a lot of people who would be envious of the tight family you had growing up. Good for you for recognizing your blessings. I pray that your Mom is as comfortable as possible given the circumstances. Thoughts and prayers CCC.

There are a lot of people who would be envious of the tight family you had growing up. Good for you for recognizing your blessings. I pray that your Mom is as comfortable as possible given the circumstances. Thoughts and prayers CCC.
We all know how lucky we were.  We were always raised to realize that we were fortunate to have everything that we did.

Very sorry to hear.  I went through the same thing 5 years ago with my mom.  Not fun.  But she was an amazing mother and wife too.  Be happy of that, and always remember it. Cherish those memories.

God Bless your mom. Make sure you continue to tell your favorite mom stories to her grandkids & have them tell theirs. She'll live forever in them.

Thanks for sharing. God bless your family and I am sorry for what you are going through. Remember the great Dr. Seuss saying:

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread