What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (1 Viewer)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
No shtick, the answers below are what we've gotten so far, fun on multiple occasions. 

Good read here - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lupica-latest-tragedy-lesson-commit-mass-murder-article-1.2672347

These things should be banned, they have zero use to the general public (outside of mass murder) in the 21st century.

Can someone explain to me why I'm wrong without the words 2nd amendment, big brother, my guns involved in the response? 

What purpose do these have?

Adding reasons here, a lot of good ones so far:

1) They're fun

2) They're legal

3) Coyotes

4) Bears

5) Multiple people breaking into your house, possibly aliens too?

6) Hunting a Tyrannosaurus Rex 

7) Zombies

8) Wanger size

9) Societal Collapse 

10) 2nd Amendment, it's my right! 

11) Banning will cause another Civil War

Last edited by a moderator:
I go back and forth on this. 

But here's my main question: if we do ban them, what about all the ones already out there? 

I go back and forth on this. 

But here's my main question: if we do ban them, what about all the ones already out there? 
Minimum mandatory sentence of like 10-15 years, that'll thin the herd. It'll take some time, but the groundwork will be laid and in a generation or two, they'll almost all be gone.

And don't forget Fantasycurse, even if we seriously talk about banning them will result in people rushing into gun stores and buying as many as they can in anticipation. It happens every time. 

Minimum mandatory sentence of like 10-15 years, that'll thin the herd. It'll take some time, but the groundwork will be laid and in a generation or two, they'll almost all be gone.
OK you're just being silly now. We're never going to imprison anybody for possessing a gun they purchased legally. 

A semi-automatic rifle for hunting or target shooting.  I don't see why anyone would need an automatic rifle, but I think they are banned anyway.

I'm so sick of a tiny group of extremists yielding so much influence. The ####### NRA is ####tiest organization in this country. Why the #### do they have so much power, our country is ####### pathetic that we can't shut these idiots down. You want your handguns, your shotguns, whatever... Nobody has any use for an assault rifle, none!

At least any foreign army thinking of invading our land had better think again.

We are greatest armed population in the world, and we will cut you to ribbons.

So far we've got target shooting, multiple people invading your house, and bc they're legal...

Def some solid reasons, keep em coming.

One of my employees owns a lot of guns and enjoys shooting.  I asked why, and they said "Because I live in Virginia, I'm bored, and there is nothing else to do here".

So I guess I would add "entertainment" as an excuse...err reason.

Imo they are clearly military weapons and are not needed by anyone but we love our weapons.  The Orlando dbag could have legally purchased a rocket launcher and taken out plane. 

Can't wait til one of these kooks goes to the local DMV and registers his tank and proceeds to drive it through the streets of NY firing at all the buildings.

"This is the time for the House to take the political risk and do the right thing," DeConcini said. "There is political life if you vote against the NRA."

Plea From 3 Ex-Presidents

The letter from three former presidents to the House:

May 3, 1994

To Members of the U.S. House of Representatives:

We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. Although assualt weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime.

Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues. Last year, a killer armed with two TEC9s killed eight people at a San Francisco law firm and wounded several others. During the past five years, more than 40 law enforcement officers have been killed or wounded in the line of duty by an assault weapon.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons.

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

Users who are viewing this thread