What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (1 Viewer)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
Please add an option to the poll.  It should read as this

"I have no understanding of guns, what they are used for and listen to everything the mainstream media spews to us"

Please add an option to the poll.  It should read as this

"I have no understanding of guns, what they are used for and listen to everything the mainstream media spews to us"
Enlighten us all knowing gun master...

After I got the body count, injured count, weapons used/obtained, and confirmed the shooter was a closet case, I haven't read anything from the MSM on this issue. 

Millions will die :lmao:

You seem very grounded. 

I'll die for my gun!! 
Millions is a stretch for sure but if you don't think there would massive unrest if there was a repeal of the 2nd amendment.... then I don't think you have a real grasp at how many people feel very strongly about this to the point that they would take arms against the government to retain their right.

Here's my take....  gun owners should stop becoming "gun enthusiasts" and start becoming "stewards of the 2nd Amendment".  Let's get away from the "it's cool OMG!! IT GIVES ME A BONER WHEN I SHOOT".....and start getting a bit more serious about a tool that can take life from a distance in the hands of even a novice. I think most gun owners are responsible and are serious and I like that they're around.....but occassionaly you see or hear a little too much from the "I'm bored, it's fun, it's a great rush" jabroni owner and you start to think that not everyone who legally is allowed to have a gun should have one.....and non gun owners....let's all at least acknowledge that if our door is broken in in the middle of the night and the Cossacks come in and start beating us and raping our women....we're not going to lamenting the failure of the various social programs and education that were supposed to curb peoples aptitudes towards violence...we're going to wish that we had a ####### gun so we could stop them. 

Sorry but not all of the bill of rights are hard and fast rules with no exceptions and 2nd amendment shouldn't be that way either (and is currently not that way as full automatic weapons are already outlawed).  Even the Heller case found that these could exists and I think people here arguing a reasonable restriction is to forbid AR15 type weapons.  
An AR-15 is simply a semi-automatic rifle.  The idea that we are going to ban all rifles that aren't bolt-action or muzzle-loading is absurd.  It's never going to happen short of a civil war.

Millions is a stretch for sure but if you don't think there would massive unrest if there was a repeal of the 2nd amendment.... then I don't think you have a real grasp at how many people feel very strongly about this to the point that they would take arms against the government to retain their right.
You keep racing off like we're talking about taking all guns, I'm not referring to handguns here. I know the paranoia starts racing out when we take steps to make society safer and removing any type of weapon, but we can refrain from discussing abolishing the second amendment in it's entirety for the purpose of this discussion.

Furthermore, we'd be a better country without people who are willing to die over their gun.

I'll die for my family, that is it, nothing material. You want to steal my Rolex, car, or anything else material, life will go on.

Deterrence is always a reasonable policy to a degree. I once lived in Arizona where the laws allowed openly carried weapons with exceptions to federal buildings, banks, common sense things.  It was the only state of SEVERAL that I have lived in where my local convenience store was NEVER robbed.  I asked why once and was told "if someone came in here to rob me there'd be three guns on him before I opened the register.  Crooks know that." 

An AR-15 is simply a semi-automatic rifle.  The idea that we are going to ban all rifles that aren't bolt-action or muzzle-loading is absurd.  It's never going to happen short of a civil war.
I have friends who are in law enforcement that own their own personal AR-15 and are allowed to use it in the line of duty (although not issued by the department).  The y are highly likely to ever actually use it but they carry it because they simply don't want to respond to a situation where they bring a knife to a gun fight.  Just another example of deterrence. 

You break into my house and I'm holding a kitchen knife, you may not be too intimidated.  You break into my house and see me holding an AR-15 and saying "Come on in, bub". it wouldn't matter if I was wearing a short, fuzzy pink terry-cloth bath robe...chances are you're leaving real quick.  Owning any weapon doesn't equate to using it so I have a hard time buying the idea of legislating intelligence. 

Who said repeal the 2nd amendment.  We are talking about certain rifles in here.

Are break-ins with a house full of people that common in your country? Here thieves usually wait til there's no one home (gang/drug activity aside). Also, I'm kind of with Jim Jeffries on this one, if your gun is beside your bed, it's probably a safety concern and if it's in a safe, it's likely too late to get the home invader.

It seems most extreme gun owners are very afraid/have an extremely negative view of the world, makes me sad :( .

How would you define your knowledge of guns? Serious question here because all of my friends who are passionate about guns would tell you that they would have done a lot more damage with handguns than an AR-15 just due to the sheer number of rounds their mags hold.
What kind of handguns are your friends wielding?  The average clip of an AR15 holds 30 rounds vs 15 rounds of an average 9mm.

It's not the anti people who are so dizzyingly terrified of intruders and zombies and whatever else you're afraid of that they're loading up on guns and canned goods.
I'm not dizzingly terrified of much at all.

...but God help an intruder that breaks into my home.

Hell, I think you're a moron for being anti, and an ####### for wanting to take my rights away just because you don't use them; but, given the opportunity, I'd still do my damnedest to protect each and every one of your pansy asses from the next Muhammad that wants to kill as many Americans as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hell, I think you're a moron for being anti, and an ####### for wanting to take my rights away just because you don't use them; but I'd still do my damnedest to protect each and every one of your pansy asses from the next Muhammad that wants to kill as many Americans as possible.
1:52 pm EDT.  We achieved full "Bundy" mode in the FFA.

Hell, I think you're a moron for being anti, and an ####### for wanting to take my rights away just because you don't use them; but, given the opportunity, I'd still do my damnedest to protect each and every one of your pansy asses from the next Muhammad that wants to kill as many Americans as possible.
Please don't. Thanks.

Hell, I think you're a moron for being anti, and an ####### for wanting to take my rights away just because you don't use them; but I'd still do my damnedest to protect each and every one of your pansy asses from the next Muhammad that wants to kill as many Americans as possible, if the situation arose.
The situation arises several times a week,  I haven't seen too many vigilantes saving anyone. 

Spider,  legitimate question but where do you keep your guns in your house? 

Clearly you are.

Simply posting this as I thought it was interesting and made sense...but no idea how much spin is on there as to how much power the NRA actually has.  Can anyone confirm/debunk the validity.  From Obama answering a question last night:

“I just came from a meeting today, in the Situation Room, in which I got people who we know, have been on ISIL websites, living here in the United States, U.S. Citizens, and were allowed to put them on the No Fly List when it comes to airlines. But because of the National Rifle Association I cannot prohibit those people from buying a gun. This is somebody who is a known ISIL sympathizer, and if he wants to walk into a gun store or a gun show right now and buy as many weapons and ammo as he can, nothing is prohibiting him from doing that, even though the FBI knows who that person is. So sir I just have to say respectfully that there is a way for us to have common sense gun laws, there is a way for us to make sure that lawful, responsible, gun owners like yourself are able to use it for sporting, hunting, protecting yourself. But the only way we are going to do that is if we don’t have a situation in which anything that is proposed is viewed as some tyrannical, destruction of the 2nd Amendment, and that’s how too often the issue gets framed

JHuber77 said:
What don't you understand?
Apparently anything. I have no understanding about them or what they are used for, verbatim what you wrote. I'm sure there are others like me, we need enlightening from A-Z.

fantasycurse42 said:
You keep racing off like we're talking about taking all guns, I'm not referring to handguns here. I know the paranoia starts racing out when we take steps to make society safer and removing any type of weapon, but we can refrain from discussing abolishing the second amendment in it's entirety for the purpose of this discussion.

Furthermore, we'd be a better country without people who are willing to die over their gun.

I'll die for my family, that is it, nothing material. You want to steal my Rolex, car, or anything else material, life will go on.
I am not racing off. I am asking.... we do what you want- right now. Then what? You do realize that mass murder with guns will continue, right? So, what happens after there is a full "assault" weapon ban and magically we have all 3 million (not sure if that is just AR-15's or all "assault" weapons) are off the streets. What do we do then? We couldn't just not do anything- I mean, that is the rationale now, right? So.... answer me. Then what?

Redwes25 said:
Who said repeal the 2nd amendment.  We are talking about certain rifles in here.
And I will ask again. When you do that and magically get rid of every 'certain rifle' you want to.... and it does nothing to stop mass murders. Then what?

The really frustrating part is that the NRA and it's puppets terry and scare everyone with what tougher gun laws would mean.

Like we don't have plenty of examples of what tougher gun laws provide all round the world.  

The result: Safer citizens.  

And I will ask again. When you do that and magically get rid of every 'certain rifle' you want to.... and it does nothing to stop mass murders. Then what?
I want enhanced background checks, limits on magazine size, certain semi-automatic long-rifles banned and repurchase programs funded for said long-rifles as well as increased spending on mental health.  All items that have been totally ignored after every single event.  I am a bit up in the air on the no-fly list point as I think there are due process issues.  

I don't think this will stop gun violence or mass shootings but hopefully bring it down overtime.  

I am not racing off. I am asking.... we do what you want- right now. Then what? You do realize that mass murder with guns will continue, right? So, what happens after there is a full "assault" weapon ban and magically we have all 3 million (not sure if that is just AR-15's or all "assault" weapons) are off the streets. What do we do then? We couldn't just not do anything- I mean, that is the rationale now, right? So.... answer me. Then what?
We keep producing guns, more and more... Enough so that eventually there are 2 guns for every person in the country, that'll solve gun violence. 

Shtickless answer - We start modernizing guns, all with some type of chip technology and monitoring. A chip can go in the handle area and be unnoticeable. You can have different levels of software encrypted - software for a conceal carry owner that way if a gun is moving around, it is with a known conceal permit holder... When a gun is on the move that isn't registered to a conceal owner, authorities are alerted. 

IDK, just off the top of my head. In the meantime, we need to deal with an escalating problem, and more weapons isn't the answer. 

I want enhanced background checks, limits on magazine size, certain semi-automatic long-rifles banned and repurchase programs funded for said long-rifles as well as increased spending on mental health.  All items that have been totally ignored after every single event.  I am a bit up in the air on the no-fly list point as I think there are due process issues.  

I don't think this will stop gun violence or mass shootings but hopefully bring it down overtime.  
You do realize it is a feel good hope though right? Not based in reality.

For the record, I am not personally against the measures you listed.

spider321 said:
You think it's funny that your government has taken away the Constitutional rights of Americans before?  You and I have very different senses of humor. 

Be careful about picking and choosing which rights you stand up for.  Your fellow Americans may be less inclined to defend you when the government comes for a right that you do enjoy.

Too sad.
Constitutional rights are added or "taken away" by the people. Do you not know how amendments work?

We keep producing guns, more and more... Enough so that eventually there are 2 guns for every person in the country, that'll solve gun violence. 

Shtickless answer - We start modernizing guns, all with some type of chip technology and monitoring. A chip can go in the handle area and be unnoticeable. You can have different levels of software encrypted - software for a conceal carry owner that way if a gun is moving around, it is with a known conceal permit holder... When a gun is on the move that isn't registered to a conceal owner, authorities are alerted. 

IDK, just off the top of my head. In the meantime, we need to deal with an escalating problem, and more weapons isn't the answer. 
I am all for it. Some exciting technology currently available and in the near future.

Still will not stop mass murders. :(

You do realize it is a feel good hope though right? Not based in reality.

For the record, I am not personally against the measures you listed.
More guns have not been the answer so I think we should be trying something different.  A mass shooting happens almost every day in this country (four or more people shot) and sitting on our hands doing nothing is stupid and dysfunctional.  

spider321 said:

While I vehemently disagree with your stance on guns, I am a huge fan of your avatar so I'll simply ask that you continue posting.

More guns have not been the answer so I think we should be trying something different.  A mass shooting happens almost every day in this country (four or more people shot) and sitting on our hands doing nothing is stupid and dysfunctional.  
How many of those mass shootings happen in "gun free zones"? How many firearms are in this country? How many people actually have and do concealed carry?

Users who are viewing this thread