What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (1 Viewer)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
If folks see me dancing like that then they just may want all the firepower they can get to take me out. We now have another reason for the list, to stop DW dead in his tracks when he decides to dance. 

It's on Maryland's list of banned rifles. Ooooh...its so EEEE-vil

:rolleyes:  
REALLY????

The 14 & 30?

WOW.  Maybe my question was not as sly as I hoped. :(

Since I have been out of the "gun club" so to speak the past few years, it seems I am behind the times on some things.

As far as I know, KY is still perfectly fine with both.

Remo is the man RL!  :thumbup:

OK, I have just now sort of gotten into this thread. I have a question, and I hope it has not been asked. If so, I apologize.

Does anyone here believe that the Ruger MINI-14 and MINI-Thirty Semiautomatic Rifles should be banned?
When in black synthetic stock, with a scope, muzzle break, and 30 round magazine that is so heavy it is likely to jam the weapon, yes,  In walnut stock, with open sights and no magazine, no.

When in black synthetic stock, with a scope, muzzle break, and 30 round magazine that is so heavy it is likely to jam the weapon, yes,  In walnut stock, with open sights and no magazine, no.
Cool...cause if I wanted to wreak some serious havoc, I'd go with the latter. 

Eh, seriously, no...I would not want to wreak havoc, but if I did, then, yes, the 2nd...legal option would be my preference...not because it is legal, but because I personally would find it more effective.

MarvinTScamper said:
the fact that 3-5% own roughly half of those is the antithesis of a "gun problem"

I would suggest that 90% (or higher) of the crimes committed in this country are by one-gun owners, many of whom stole it, or bought it illegally.   Focus on stopping that, and leave the law abiding gun owners out of your horribly established and poorly thought out thesis.
Look, somebody gets it

Cool...cause if I wanted to wreak some serious havoc, I'd go with the latter. 

Eh, seriously, no...I would not want to wreak havoc, but if I did, then, yes, the 2nd...legal option would be my preference...not because it is legal, but because I personally would find it more effective.
Eh...sorry for the double quote here, but I now realize that my reply was not very effective in making my point to others.

IF I was in a fire-fight on the front lines, or sniping from behind the lines, yes...the more tactical platform would be my choice. This is why the military uses such platforms.

But, if I were wanting to create havoc in a civilian setting, the added gear would weigh me down, as DW notes, & the scope would lengthen my time to sight onto target.

Also, I know quite a few special forces guys who prefer the non-tactical set-up when working behind enemy lines for the very reasons I stated.

More is not always better, but it does have its place imo.

In danger to civilians, which I believe this thread is mostly focused on, I believe the hunting set-up is the more effective...unless you want to snipe...that could be an issue...BUT...in that case, one only needs to add a scope... & a bolt action .308 would be my preference...again, this is not something that meets "assault weapon" criteria. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh...sorry for the double quote here, but I now realize that my reply was not very effective in making my point to others.

IF I was in a fire-fight on the front lines, or sniping from behind the lines, yes...the more tactical platform would be my choice. This is why the military uses such platforms.

But, if I were wanting to create havoc in a civilian setting, the added gear would weigh me down, as DW notes, & the scope would lengthen my time to sight onto target.

Also, I know quite a few special forces guys who prefer the non-tactical set-up when working behind enemy lines for the very reasons I stated.

More is not always better, but it does have its place imo.

In danger to civilians, which I believe this thread is mostly focused on, I believe the hunting set-up is the more effective...unless you want to snipe...that could be an issue...BUT...in that case, one only needs to add a scope... & a bolt action .308 would be my preference...again, this is not something that meets "assault weapon" criteria. YMMV.
If I were going to pick a cartridge for use in urban settings, for both sniping and general application, it would be the .308. 

If I were going to pick a cartridge for use in urban settings, for both sniping and general application, it would be the .308. 
Agreed.

Since I got rid of keeping guns in my house, I only have one that my sister keeps for me.

It's a custom made .308 bolt action.  I'd be fine running bolt in medium range, but I will admit semi-auto would be more effective.

You think like I do DW...

...sorry mate...didn't mean to insult ya there. ;)

Most painful gun I own is an old Mosin Nagant M38 carbine. "It kicks like mule".  I've shot guns that kick harder, but I wouldn't own them. .458 Lott is a mean mother.
I took that post down because although it was clearly deeply facetious, I didn't want it to be misconstrued.

The next favorite is my Ruger 77 in .22Hornet.  Fun shooter for all. Thats a lot of wind to try to determine grouping btw.
Yep...very fine group for that wind.  :thumbup:

Most painful gun I own is an old Mosin Nagant M38 carbine. "It kicks like mule".  
Yep. I sold mine about 3 years ago. Well, it was the jungle carbine...(is that what yours is...not sure ?) Loved it, but as I explained in the other gun thread, I just needed to clean most all my firearms away.

The .308 custom I mentioned above, was made by my best friends dad.  Both have since passed, but his dad was a machinist that retired early to devote his time to gun smithing. Their garage was literally a gun shop. We got to play with all of them.  Good times!

Most painful gun I own is an old Mosin Nagant M38 carbine. "It kicks like mule".  
Yep. I sold mine about 3 years ago. Well, it was the jungle carbine...(is that what yours is...not sure ?) Loved it, but as I explained in the other gun thread, I just needed to clean most all my firearms away.
Darn it Bowie...I crossed my wires...I sold my Mosin the same day I sold my Enfield Jungle Carbine....duh...sorry for the error. 

Speaking of .308's and kick...

...here is a fun one we used to play with:

Larry Weishuhn’s Encore Pro Hunter Pistol

Never even had the slightest desire to own it. 
I don't shoot 44 mag anymore, my hands not able to take the pounding.  I don't imagine I would be happy shooting this.  I mean if I were to ever go boar hunting again I could see maybe thinking about borrowing one, but I doubt it happens.  I did not enjoy the meat from the time I did this before.

I don't shoot 44 mag anymore, my hands not able to take the pounding.  I don't imagine I would be happy shooting this.  I mean if I were to ever go boar hunting again I could see maybe thinking about borrowing one, but I doubt it happens.  I did not enjoy the meat from the time I did this before.
I agree. The only time I ever used a hand gun for hunting was when I was just strolling the woods during squirrel season with my Ruger Mark II Government Target Model .

And even then, I would rarely take the shot. I want clean, fast & efficient kills. Handguns rarely met that spec for me.

Others may enjoy the added challenge, but I did not.

No judgement, just not my wheelhouse.

No but I know guys who are odd caliber reloading junkies. That means I get to shoot all kinds of cool ####.
Peoples attachments to certain weapons and calibers fascinates me.  The .375 is a great cartridge but it spawned things downwards to .243, or so I have heard it argued, and up to .458 Winchester which then in turn spawned .458 Lott. and all have their adherents.  In the truly large bore world we have the same thing.  Me, I recognize different factors and uses for .223., .243, .270, (I never used .264), .308, .300, 30-06 (Never shot 30-30) .338 etc. In the end  I could have always gotten by with .22 short rifle rimfire, .223, and 30-06.  The rest is just being fussy.  I mean its not like you can't find a variety of weights and loads within those calibers to tweak them a bit for anticipated uses.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Everyone's knows black stocks make the bullets go 2x faster and triples the rate of fire. 

I hope the Hearing Protection Act goes through. BATFE has been swamped processing the forms to register suppressors for years This would save time, money and hearing. It would be nice to not have to use redundant hearing protection (ear plugs AND earmuff ) while shooting at indoor ranges.
Yep! Fingers crossed on this one. I think it gets done :thumbup:

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Peoples attachments to certain weapons and calibers fascinates me.  The .375 is a great cartridge but it spawned things downwards to .243, or so I have heard it argued, and up to .458 Winchester which then in turn spawned .458 Lott. and all have their adherents.  In the truly large bore world we have the same thing.  Me, I recognize different factors and uses for .223., .243, .270, (I never used .264), .308, .300, 30-06 (Never shot 30-30) .338 etc. In the end  I could have always gotten by with .22 short rifle rimfire, .223, and 30-06.  The rest is just being fussy.  I mean its not like you can't find a variety of weights and loads within those calibers to tweak them a bit for anticipated uses.
Agreed. The 30-06 is can be loaded up or down to hunt just about any Notth American predator or big game. 

What are the others?
Other reasons for/against beyond that are not really that important to me personally. I find the arguments for banning them to be based on good intentions but unconvincing, unfair, and unlikely to affect real change. I also think some folks in the against group might reconsider if they actually went to a range and tried it out. It's fun and safe. But either way, I completely understand why they may feel that way. I'm not super passionate about it, only looking at it logically. In general, I think a ban would result in unintended consequences including an even larger black market that would create new revenue streams for organized crime, cartels, and the like. Most criminals already get their guns through the unregulated, secondary market. After a ban, it would become the primary market. You could reach FBG bankroll status in only a couple weeks from just selling ammunition. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread