Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fantasycurse42

Why would anyone need an assault rifle?

Assault Rifles  

441 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, eoMMan said:

You haven't heard Regulate? 17 is standard for a handgun now.

16 in the clip and one in the hole...

22 years ago, there has likely been some great innovation since then.

(happy anniversary, NY Rangers fans)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

 

My guess on full auto is actually less death as the guy runs out of ammo faster.

 

 So to save lives lets legalize machine guns. :loco:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

16 in the magazine and one in the chamber...

Fixed so that, next time, you'll at least sound like you know a little about the things you want banned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always nice to see the usual hand-wringing and knee-jerking by folks ignorant to the facts but still talking about them anyway. 

Thankfully most anyone who wants an Semi-Auto sporting rifle has one, and no amount of legislation is going to change that. 

Though once we pass the laws banning them, I'm sure they'll all go away... like heroin. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagerly awaiting the surfacing of the gun-grabber phallic-size obsession next :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dparker713 said:

An AR-15 is easily converted to a fully auto rifle or atleast a damn good approximation of one.

That would make it illegal then.  Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BowieMercs said:

You laugh but that's the most common use. You cant even hunt deer with an AR15 in many (if not most) states because the round is "not lethal enough"

Shhhhh.

This goes against everything the networks have "taught" them.

It is legal to deer hunt in my state with an "assault" rifle, but I choose to use the my much more lethal "hunting" rifle.

Although, I'm sure the deer are more afraid of the scary "assault" rifle.

lol

Edited by spider321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

 So to save lives lets legalize machine guns. :loco:

I didn't say that at all and responding to your inane question of what a full auto situation looks like and making point these guns are designed and used in semi auto mode and probably more efficient killing machines in that mode and therefore should be outlawed like full auto versions.  Guess reading comprehension is down today.

 

Glad you finally agree with me that military primarily uses in semi auto mode. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

These discussions always begin with very reasonable arguments from the pro-gun crowd: "the ban wouldn't be effective", "there's too many out there already", etc. etc. But eventually they always devolve because the crazies show up: "WHEN THE LIBS BRING IN THE UNITED NATIONS AND THE BLACK HELICOPTERS AND THE NEW WORLD ORDER, I'M GONNA NEED MY AR-15, IT WILL SAVE ME FROM BEING SENT TO AUSCHWITZ!" 

You bring up a good point that the UN could be sent against US citizens, I forgot about them and its another good reason why US citizens should have guns ... to oppose the one world government that destroys the constitution that the liberals want so badly.    Truth of the matter is that in simpler times of single shot muskets, all the US citizens had to contend with was a potentially tyrannical US government. Now you just don't have a potentially tyrannical US government, you have a potentially tyrannical US Establishment where at the top of the Establishment you have psychopath bankers that basically control government (didn't have that when the 2nd Amendment was written) who knows what they are capable of, in the middle of the Establishment you have government who along with their usual threat to citizens is now bound and determined to let in foreign rapists and murderers and terrorists for political reasons (didn't have that when the 2nd Amendment was written) .. oh yeah and to call up the UN (we didnt have that when the 2nd Amendment was written), and at the bottom of the Establishment but still strongly within the Establishment you have the very dependent welfare class (didn't have that when the 2nd amendment was written) who gets violent against innocent fellow citizens when the EBT cards dry up.  

Maybe I am missing something.  I'm probably missing something.  We don't have less threats and less reasons for the 2nd amendment, we have more threats and more reasons for the 2nd amendment.  And the list is growing.  No one can really say exactly why the moral and religious constitution-loving American citizen needs guns, other than it appears they need guns more than ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

I didn't say that at all and responding to your inane question of what a full auto situation looks like and making point these guns are designed and used in semi auto mode and probably more efficient killing machines in that mode and therefore should be outlawed like full auto versions.  Guess reading comprehension is down today.

 

Glad you finally agree with me that military primarily uses in semi auto mode. Thanks 

Just stop bud. Its embarrassing at this point at how little you know about guns, how they are used. The fact that you believe a fully automatic weapon would cause less death in a small enclosed area because he would "run out of bullets faster" is staggeringly stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Always nice to see the usual hand-wringing and knee-jerking by folks ignorant to the facts but still talking about them anyway. 

Thankfully most anyone who wants an Semi-Auto sporting rifle has one, and no amount of legislation is going to change that. 

Though once we pass the laws banning them, I'm sure they'll all go away... like heroin

Well, considering physical addiction drives heroin demand, this is a good point; gun lust as disease. Hadn't thought about it like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

You haven't heard Regulate? 17 is standard for a handgun now.

16 in the clip and one in the hole...

Was responding to his question about a Rutger 10 22 which standard mag is 10. 

 

Why anyone needs a semi auto rifle with 30 bullet mag is beyond me. Anyone got a good reason other than collapse of society or zombie invasion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

 

Was responding to his question about a Rutger 10 22 which standard mag is 10. 

 

Why anyone needs a semi auto rifle with 30 bullet mag is beyond me. Anyone got a good reason other than collapse of society or zombie invasion. 

Fixed

Edited by BowieMercs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Just stop bud. Its embarrassing at this point at how little you know about guns, how they are used. The fact that you believe a fully automatic weapon would cause less death in a small enclosed area because he would "run out of bullets faster" is staggeringly stupid. 

Your dumb question to start on a way to have more than 49 people shot and 50 plus wounded 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice little bonus that a good percentage of the people who want these things are inherently going to have a screw loose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redwes25 said:

Your dumb question to start on a way to have more than 49 people shot and 50 plus wounded 

Ok chief. Once again... a fully automatic weapon would cause less death in a small enclosed area that is jam packed with people because he would run out of bullets faster. Nuff said...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Apple Jack said:

It's a nice little bonus that a good percentage of the people who want these things are inherently going to have a screw loose.

So come up with a mechanism to deny said people the right to possess weapons WITHOUT denying them due process. Nope.. that's too hard. Lets just ban guns for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

It's a nice little bonus that a good percentage of the people who want these things are inherently going to have a screw loose.

Not even remotely true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

 

Was responding to his question about a Rutger 10 22 which standard mag is 10. 

 

Why anyone needs a semi auto rifle with 30 bullet mag is beyond me. Anyone got a good reason other than collapse of society or zombie invasion. 

Why 30 vs 10.  Its really hard to hit moving targets.  Against two moving attackers 10 shots is gone in no time.

Maybe you are a bad shot, or get injured while defending yourself such that you can't easily put in another magazine.  In that case, 30 is better than 10.  In a defense mode where you have no time to prepare all you are going to have is that one measly magazine and your attackers may have hundreds of rounds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BowieMercs said:

So come up with a mechanism to deny said people the right to possess weapons WITHOUT denying them due process. Nope.. that's too hard. Lets just ban guns for everyone.

We can't even get that done. And I don't think most are suggesting banning guns for everybody. I know I've given up on that one for good. But these mass killing machines make no sense at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spreagle said:

Why 30 vs 10.  Its really hard to hit moving targets.  Against two moving attackers 10 shots is gone in no time.

Maybe you are a bad shot, or get injured while defending yourself such that you can't easily put in another magazine.  In that case, 30 is better than 10.  In a defense mode where you have no time to prepare all you are going to have is that one measly magazine and your attackers may have hundreds of rounds.  

So basically a collapse of society situation where you have multiple attackers.  Or are you thinking about a home invasion where you are tying to get robbed and criminals continue to attack you after you start firing back?  In a home a handgun or shotgun would both appear to be better defense weapons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BowieMercs said:

So come up with a mechanism to deny said people the right to possess weapons WITHOUT denying them due process. Nope.. that's too hard. Lets just ban guns for everyone.

How about people on a a Federal terror watch list have to wait a little longer for more rigid background checks?  How about the NRA doesn't pressure Congress into defunding the CDCs ability to research gun violence as a health issue?

What proposals have been brought up by the right besides "keep the brown people out"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

It's a nice little bonus that a good percentage of the people who want these things are inherently going to have a screw loose.

define good percentage

If they are diagnosed mentally ill, they cannot legally purchase a firearm. If the government is incapable of enforcing existing laws to keep hands out of the hands of the mentally ill, your solution is to... make more laws? 

Me... I'd be trying to do a better job of enforcing existing ones...especially if a "good percentage" of the people who have these, shouldn't.... but I guess Im more of a "results oriented" person. 

Edited by [icon]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

How about people on a a Federal terror watch list have to wait a little longer for more rigid background checks?  How about the NRA doesn't pressure Congress into defunding the CDCs ability to research gun violence as a health issue?

What proposals have been brought up by the right besides "keep the brown people out"?

Due process fail. There is no mechanism to challenge presence on watchlists. The NoFly list is famous for people being added in error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BowieMercs said:

Due process fail. There is no mechanism to challenge presence on watchlists. The NoFly list is famous for people being added in error.

I didn't say "deny", I said dig deeper.  Is that not reasonable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BowieMercs said:

Due process fail. There is no mechanism to challenge presence on watchlists. The NoFly list is famous for people being added in error.

What are your suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

The poll is currently 3 to 1 in favor of banning, which I believe is pretty close to national polling.

Recent polls actually oppose an assault weapon ban.  This moves quite a bit though.

We are never going to see a ban on semi-automatic rifles, which is essentially what you are calling an assault rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spider321 said:

The point is that these people want to take away my Constitutional right just because they don't agree with it.  I hope you realize that is a very slippery slope.

 ...and that there is no such thing as an "assault" rifle.

Their wish to take away my "assault" rifle that has never harmed a single human being is no more valid than than if I wished to take away their Toyota Priuses because they are ugly.  ...or their tofu.  ...or whatever else liberal weenies are into these days.

But arguing about it and me getting mad on here this morning isn't worth it.

The line has been drawn in the sand already.  We aren't giving up our guns.

Argue away.

Your liberal weenies argument doesn't hold much weight considering at least 1/3 of those who voted for a ban in this poll are Republicans and another good portion are Independents like myself. 

Carry on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonessed said:

Recent polls actually oppose an assault weapon ban.  This moves quite a bit though.

We are never going to see a ban on semi-automatic rifles, which is essentially what you are calling an assault rifle.

So I'll ask you, what are your suggestions?  Why did Reagan support banning them (and he called them "assault weapons").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

What proposals have been brought up by the right besides "keep the brown people out"?

Ahhh yes, the old, "Well, you didn't make a counter-proposal" game.  That's how we got this God-awful socialist healthcare system.

Tell ya what... I don't like your opinions, and I don't believe you should be allowed to procreate.  I recommend that you be castrated as soon as possible.

Do you have a counter-proposal to solve the problem of you reproducing or are you not interested in viable solutions?

Edited by spider321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonessed said:

We are never going to see a ban on semi-automatic rifles, which is essentially what you are calling an assault rifle.

I disagree... While I don't think that time is in the immediate future, one day it'll happen. As more and more are produced/bought/sold, inevitably these mass shootings will continue and probably increase. Eventually, enough will be enough and the small subset of MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS/2ND AMENDMENT/NRA BUMPER STICKER PICKUP DRIVING  ASSAULT RIFLE NUTS will be so outnumbered change will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spider321 said:

Ahhh yes, the old, "Well, you didn't make a counter-proposal" game.  That's how we got this God-awful socialist healthcare system.

Tell ya what... I don't like your opinions, and I don't believe you should be allowed to procreate.  I recommend that you be castrated as soon as possible.

Do you have a counter-proposal to solve the problem of you reproducing or are you not interested in solving the problem?

Usually a discussion involves more than one side.  Does the right have nothing to offer besides building walls?  That question should not upset you, unless you're satisfied with the status quo.  I'm not using the question as a "gotcha" moment - just a legitimate question to see if there exists a starting point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spider321 said:

Ahhh yes, the old, "Well, you didn't make a counter-proposal" game.  That's how we got this God-awful socialist healthcare system.

Tell ya what... I don't like your opinions, and I don't believe you should be allowed to procreate.  I recommend that you be castrated as soon as possible.

Do you have a counter-proposal to solve the problem of you reproducing or are you not interested in solving the problem?

I want to procreate with the girl in your profile picture

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I disagree... While I don't think that time is in the immediate future, one day it'll happen. As more and more are produced/bought/sold, inevitably these mass shootings will continue and probably increase. Eventually, enough will be enough and the small subset of MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS/2ND AMENDMENT/NRA BUMPER STICKER PICKUP DRIVING  ASSAULT RIFLE NUTS will be so outnumbered change will happen.

It's not a small subset.  It's currently a majority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

So I'll ask you, what are your suggestions?  Why did Reagan support banning them (and he called them "assault weapons").

Reagan called all semi-automatic rifles assault weapons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonessed said:

It's not a small subset.  It's currently a majority.

In favor of keeping assault rifles legal? I'd like to see a reputable source on that. I wouldn't disagree with handguns/shotguns/rifles, but I think the line is drawn at assault rifles for a lot more than half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonessed said:

Reagan called all semi-automatic rifles assault weapons?

"Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47."

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

 

So did Bill O. on Colbert last night.  And he even said they should be banned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

In favor of keeping assault rifles legal? I'd like to see a reputable source on that. I wouldn't disagree with handguns/shotguns/rifles, but I think the line is drawn at assault rifles for a lot more than half.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/assault-weapons-ban-poll_us_56715c23e4b0dfd4bcbff62e

How are you distinguishing between a semi-automatic rifle and an assault rifle?

Edited by jonessed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amused to Death said:

So did Bill O. on Colbert last night.  And he even said they should be banned.

He is just a dumb liberal, of course he wants to ban them... Oh wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine who is an avid hunter and gun collector in Northern MI has an assault rifle.  I have fired a shotgun once in my life that is my gun experience.  We went to the range with the assault rife, a 44 magnum and various other guns.  I fired the 44 magnum 18 times and hit the target twice. It was bulky and tough to handle.  Then he gave me the assault rifle with a 50 shot clip.  The first time I was just popping off shots trying to hit the target.  Took maybe 5 minutes.  The second time though I ripped off 50 shots in less than a minute going back and forth at targets and hitting many of them.  I was thinking at the time even a person like me with no background at all shooting this could walk into any crowded place with a couple of clips and take out masses of people.  It was frightening.

Edited by Da Guru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

"Every major law enforcement organization in America and dozens of leading labor, medical, religious, civil rights and civic groups support such a ban. Most importantly, poll after poll shows that the American public overwhelmingly support a ban on assault weapons. A 1993 CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll found that 77% of Americans support a ban on the manufacture, sale, and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47."

Sincerely,

Gerald R. Ford

Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan

 

So did Bill O. on Colbert last night.  And he even said they should be banned.

I'm nit-picking here but :wall: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I disagree... While I don't think that time is in the immediate future, one day it'll happen. As more and more are produced/bought/sold, inevitably these mass shootings will continue and probably increase. Eventually, enough will be enough and the small subset of MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS/2ND AMENDMENT/NRA BUMPER STICKER PICKUP DRIVING  ASSAULT RIFLE NUTS will be so outnumbered change will happen.

Yeah, I think there's a chance.  While I certainly don't think conservatives value the lives of gay people more than kindergartners, the one thing they can't have is the perception of being soft on terrorism.  This is likely the new blueprint, right?  Why spend months planning an elaborate attack when you can simply walk into a store, buy a semi-automatic in 7 minutes, go into a crowded place and open fire? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.