What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor: Leveon Bell skipped a drug test? (1 Viewer)

Didn't he already get 4 (reduced to 2) for blunting it up with Blount?  This would be 12?  Full season?

As an NFL fan, this really sucks if true. 

As a Deangelo owner where he's been offered to the Bell owner for peanuts, and rejected.  :popcorn:

Didn't he already get 4 (reduced to 2) for blunting it up with Blount?  This would be 12?  Full season?
3, reduced to 2, I think.

Here's a link to an article about the current policy.  If I'm not mistaken, Bell's arrest occurred before this new policy.  I'm not sure how that changes things, b/c according to this article, this is his 2nd offense, which should only be a 2-game fine.  Someone with more knowledge of the NFL's policies would have to explain how Bell's offense under the old policy factors in.

Seems made up, honestly. If it was going to come out on its own soon, Bell wouldn't deny it outright
Why wouldn't he deny it?  Seems like it would be the most obvious reaction to it, true or not.  What would he have to gain if he admitted to it?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646315-leveon-bell-comments-on-rumors-rb-skipped-drug-test-was-facing-suspension

I am fine. I haven't missed any drug tests, failed any drug tests.I can't keep talking about the drug test. I probably already said too much about it so I really can't keep talking about it. People are going to say what they want to say on the internet. It is people who really have nothing to do. I don't get upset or let it bother me.

This is probably nothing, but it does seem like a really odd quote, what does "I probably already said too much about it" and "really can't keep talking about it" mean?  That almost implies there was some sort of story there or else wouldn't you just say I didn't miss or fail a test.  Period.

Madden's a giant hack.  Not very reliable at all.  Take it with a grain of salt.  

Be more worried if we see it being reported by Ed Bouchette or Dale Lolley.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646315-leveon-bell-comments-on-rumors-rb-skipped-drug-test-was-facing-suspension

This is probably nothing, but it does seem like a really odd quote, what does "I probably already said too much about it" and "really can't keep talking about it" mean?  That almost implies there was some sort of story there or else wouldn't you just say I didn't miss or fail a test.  Period.
This stuff is supposed to be private, players don't generally talk about the drug testing and the leaks that come out prior to appeals aren't supposed to happen either, technically. I'm sure that's what he meant, that he'd given it too much attention already.

This is probably nothing, but it does seem like a really odd quote, what does "I probably already said too much about it" and "really can't keep talking about it" mean? 
It means we know nothing for now. Until it's been confirmed you have to assume it's false in my book.

But it is interesting that popular guys get suspensions and people just wave their hands like it doesn't mean anything. For instance, what if den wanted an out in case Von Miller gets popped again? He already had a pretty significant suspension and people act like, "Oh that's old news". Wasn't it less than three years ago? For a guy that wants that much guaranteed money that would be a concern in my book...... and yes, I know he would forfeit his game checks but what would Von Miller look like after a full year removed from football? It generally doesn't go great.

This stuff is supposed to be private, players don't generally talk about the drug testing and the leaks that come out prior to appeals aren't supposed to happen either, technically. I'm sure that's what he meant, that he'd given it too much attention already.
Yeah, more than likely just the wording that threw me off, this all sounds like it was a bunch of b.s.  I would have just expected someone to say "i've already given this too much attention, I didn't fail a test, I'm done talking about this", etc.  The wording he used was just odd to me.

I'm ready to say nothing here but when I think about it, doesn't it seem like the teams always know ahead of time (and of course the player would) and then it breaks and then we start seeing all the "oh, so that's why they did this, said this, wasn't here or there, etc"?

I think @NJhas a legit thought about the wording.  Not saying it is anything but I can easily be talked into a scenario where if nothing was there at all the response would be more like "What?  That's crazy." or "yeah, I heard that same rumor.  Nothing there, man." or just something that clearly shoots it down.  Saying things like "I've said too much already" implies this isn't new news to HIM or saying "really can't keep talking about it" suggests this has been mentioned a time or three or that even someone has told him "don't comment and don't keep talking about it".    Just seems like these days there is always a nugget of truth in most tidbits. 

Bell owners who do not own Williams are likely frantic right now.  Those of us who own both are much more comfortable waiting to see what comes of this.

You'd think the steelers would have added some depth at rb if this were true.  Kinda like drafting Coates, talking up Wheaton last summer and re-signing dhb this year.

His word does seem odd, I thought the exact same thing.

"We shall see" said the blind man.

Tex

He was pretty clear guys, don't really feel the need to parse the words of someone annoyed at the question in the first place. No reason not to take it at face value.

He was pretty clear guys, don't really feel the need to parse the words of someone annoyed at the question in the first place. No reason not to take it at face value.
Completely disagree.

"I am fine."

"I can't keep talking about the drug test."

"I probably already said too much about it so I really can't keep talking about it."

These are not the words that a man who had nothing to hide would use.

All he's missing is a "To tell you the truth..."

Maybe he had a legitimate excuse for missing a test.  Maybe we'll never hear what happened.  Maybe nothing will come of it.

...but he's definitely not telling the whole truth.

I agree, his words show there is something to talk about and he shouldn't be talking about it. Whether it's a missed test or a diluted sample or something else we will see, but where there's smoke, there's a missed test?

"I am fine," Bell continued. "I haven't missed any drug tests, failed any drug tests. I can't keep talking about the drug test. I probably already said too much about it so I really can't keep talking about it. People are going to say what they want to say on the internet. It is people who really have nothing to do. I don't get upset or let it bother me."

Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX

Everyone believes that Lev Bell is telling the truth, huh? OK.

So, Bell basically says nothing to see here, and Madden calls him a liar.  We'll see in a week or less probably if there's any truth to this.  If there is?   FU*KKKK!!!!!!  As a Steelers fan how can they let 2 of their stars get into this kind of trouble?!

"I am fine," Bell continued. "I haven't missed any drug tests, failed any drug tests. I can't keep talking about the drug test. I probably already said too much about it so I really can't keep talking about it. People are going to say what they want to say on the internet. It is people who really have nothing to do. I don't get upset or let it bother me."

Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX

Everyone believes that Lev Bell is telling the truth, huh? OK.

So, Bell basically says nothing to see here, and Madden calls him a liar.  We'll see in a week or less probably if there's any truth to this.  If there is?   FU*KKKK!!!!!!  As a Steelers fan how can they let 2 of their stars get into this kind of trouble?!
Lmfao. How can then steelers let them? Maybe they should just cut them like they did santonio holmes

I wouldn't read too much into Bell worried about talking too much.

He probably doesn't want to get into trouble with the NFLPA. Union has been after the league for years regarding "leaks" on drug tests.If one of the players were to start speaking openly about test results that the union has been trying to keep private, he's gonna hear from the union.

Completely disagree.

"I am fine."

"I can't keep talking about the drug test."

"I probably already said too much about it so I really can't keep talking about it."

These are not the words that a man who had nothing to hide would use.

All he's missing is a "To tell you the truth..."

Maybe he had a legitimate excuse for missing a test.  Maybe we'll never hear what happened.  Maybe nothing will come of it.

...but he's definitely not telling the whole truth.
"I haven't missed any drug tests, failed any drug tests."

I wouldn't read too much into Bell worried about talking too much.

He probably doesn't want to get into trouble with the NFLPA. Union has been after the league for years regarding "leaks" on drug tests.If one of the players were to start speaking openly about test results that the union has been trying to keep private, he's gonna hear from the union.

Considering Bell openly mocked the drug test he was given on 4/20 I'd say he's not too concerned about the NFLPA cracking down on him.

of course I get a "random" drug test on 4/20...good luck with that sample
And in this instance, its not like he's the one initiating the discussion, he was accused of missing a test.  He certainly should have the right to deny that rumor, which he did, I just thought the wording he used was odd if there was indeed absolutely nothing to this rumor and this Madden guy just completely made it up out of left field.  

I think the "good luck with that sample" crack is actually somewhat re-assuring that he was clean because I can't imagine someone being stupid enough to make a joke like that on twitter if you just pissed dirty, but that doesn't mean he hasn't missed another test since then.

I'd agree that it is highly likely there is absolutely nothing to this, but at the same time I think there is enough smoke between the rumor itself and the somewhat odd/cryptic comments from Bell that I'm personally not ready to completely dismiss this as being nothing.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if there is more to this, but agree that more than likely there isn't and frankly if there was actually anything to this you would think by now ESPN, NFLNetwork, etc. would've gotten some inside info and run with it.  Hard to believe this Madden guy has a source that Schefter, Rappoport, etc. doesn't have.

As a side note did anyone else have their MFL10s come to a grinding halt yesterday after this news broke, in a bunch of them and seemed like a 5-6 hour period where nobody was picking last night, seemed pretty obvious everyone was waiting to see if there was more to the story so they could snag Williams.

I am not saying he is incorrect in this instance but of all of the Pittsburgh local sports reporters, Mark Madden is the most unreliable when it comes to news on the Steelers.    

He rarely if ever goes to Steelers facilities and is generally disliked by the Steelers organization and the players.    It strikes me as odd that he would be the guy with inside information but you never know.

I'm going to put this in the "where's there's smoke...." category.  Unfortunately these rumors are usually more correct than not.

I think the reason most people will disagree with this is because it seems like you never can remember an instance where, regardless of how out of left field something comes, a player or coach says point blank "yes" or "no" and that is indeed the end of it.  But it seems like we always have an instance where we spend two weeks debating "did this happen or didn't it" and even when it isn't exactly what was first said, there is something there that makes it a story.

Like with Calvin retiring. That was an immediate "get out of here..that's crazy" kind of response by nearly all of us..But then it churned and churned and churned and...well, where is Calvin now?

Hernandez and OJ said they didnt too. Granted much larger stakes, but the point is people will deny anything point blank no mater if its true or not. Last thing he cares about is if he lied to the media about a test.

Hernandez and OJ said they didnt too. Granted much larger stakes, but the point is people will deny anything point blank no mater if its true or not. Last thing he cares about is if he lied to the media about a test.
This is true. We have heard a thousand "I made a poor judgment, let my team down, should have told the truth" speeches.  It is RARE we ever hear the first response being, "Yeah, that happened. I did that."

Not that this couldnt be the first, but has there ever been a case of an alleged test failure for an NFL player that did not turn out to be correct a week or two later when the official word came down?  I can't think of one.

I dont want to believe this one, but I give it till Friday afternoon before allowing myself much skepticism.  NFL likes to drop suspension news Friday afternoons to play the news cycle game.

Possible that he was somehow admonished behind the scenes about his 4/20 comment, and that's why he "can't keep talking about it" and "probably already said too much" in this instance?

Possible that he was somehow admonished behind the scenes about his 4/20 comment, and that's why he "can't keep talking about it" and "probably already said too much" in this instance?
I could see that outcome as well. 

Can really see this going either way and I think God's Brother has already said that Madden is for the most part the least reliable source (and I certainly respect God's Brother's opinions on Steelers-related info) but I have to wonder how likely is it that a veteran media person is going to say such a thing without having SOME type of information behind it.  I mean, if it were my first week on the job, I don't think I'm saying anything accusing someone of something unless I honestly believe I've been provided something legitimate.

Considering Bell openly mocked the drug test he was given on 4/20 I'd say he's not too concerned about the NFLPA cracking down on him.

And in this instance, its not like he's the one initiating the discussion, he was accused of missing a test.  He certainly should have the right to deny that rumor, which he did, I just thought the wording he used was odd if there was indeed absolutely nothing to this rumor and this Madden guy just completely made it up out of left field.  

I think the "good luck with that sample" crack is actually somewhat re-assuring that he was clean because I can't imagine someone being stupid enough to make a joke like that on twitter if you just pissed dirty, but that doesn't mean he hasn't missed another test since then.

I'd agree that it is highly likely there is absolutely nothing to this, but at the same time I think there is enough smoke between the rumor itself and the somewhat odd/cryptic comments from Bell that I'm personally not ready to completely dismiss this as being nothing.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if there is more to this, but agree that more than likely there isn't and frankly if there was actually anything to this you would think by now ESPN, NFLNetwork, etc. would've gotten some inside info and run with it.  Hard to believe this Madden guy has a source that Schefter, Rappoport, etc. doesn't have.

As a side note did anyone else have their MFL10s come to a grinding halt yesterday after this news broke, in a bunch of them and seemed like a 5-6 hour period where nobody was picking last night, seemed pretty obvious everyone was waiting to see if there was more to the story so they could snag Williams.
Madden is a local radio host; he isn't necessarily a Steelers' "insider."  He claims that he is un-biased, whereas other local sports reporters do/say/report what the Steelers want them to report.  I don't know/care enough about that to comment, but it does strike me as odd that he would have some sort of inside source that would be privy to this information that other local reporters (or for that matter, ESPN) would be reporting on.

It's also odd that he reported this yesterday to open his radio show, but one of the links in this thread was from another site/source (that I've never heard of either) from a day sooner (6/13).  So, we've gone 2 days from initial report, with no verification/support from larger sites/sources (ESPN, NFL, roto, etc).

This is true. We have heard a thousand "I made a poor judgment, let my team down, should have told the truth" speeches.  It is RARE we ever hear the first response being, "Yeah, that happened. I did that."
Randy Gregory at the combine. It was a sign of maturity and pointed to the fact he had put all that behind him if I recall correctly.

In retrospect it sounds about as silly as thinking Bell was some babe in the woods and the evil Blount was pulling his strings to get him in trouble. People convinced themselves of that narrative, too. Which isn't to say Bell is automatically guilty now..... just that he has already demonstraded poor decision making in the past so this really shouldn't be a complete shock.

Users who are viewing this thread