What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney resort alligator attack (1 Viewer)

I felt terrible, and still do for the family, but why let your kid go into water where there are No Swimming signs posted? The Floridian has plenty of designated places to swim without the threat of wildlife. 

All of the above.  Just unimaginable.  Your heart breaks for this family, but also, what were they thinking if the no swimming signs were present?

The boy wasnt really swimming. Just wading along the shore. They are from Nebraska. Probably had no idea about the possibility of gators in that water. Not sure if the No Swimming signs were there due to gators or just general safety (ie no lifeguard on duty).

The boy wasnt really swimming. Just wading along the shore. They are from Nebraska. Probably had no idea about the possibility of gators in that water. Not sure if the No Swimming signs were there due to gators or just general safety (ie no lifeguard on duty).
Anywhere in Florida that there is a lake and small children, a No Swimming sign is very much about gators. They are everywhere, and not always accounted for. Small to mid-size gators will typically keep their distance from adults, even if hungry. Kids are a totally different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anywhere in Florida that there is a lake and small children, a No Swimming sign is very much about gators. They are everywhere, and not always accounted for. Small to mid-size gators will typically keep their distance from adults, even if hungry. Kids are a totally different story.
Whether thats true or not, I doubt a family in NE would know that.

Can we get the title updated? This kid was in the water. The gator did not run up on the beach and grab him and drag him into the water. 

Florida Native of 42 years, you don't go swimming in places here that are not the ocean. Canals, ponds, man made lakes, they all are prone to gators living in them, they are fresh water lovers. You go swim in the ocean with the sharks and take your chances there but stay out of the rest until you know 100% they got no gators in them. 

Feel bad for the parents, wonder what type of lawsuit is going to come out of this. Doubt Disney is going to stay at the top of their fun list for movies and entertainment. 

I thought everyone heard of the Florida Gators
Yeah I know Florida and gators go hand in hand. But I have to be honest, me being a NYer, if I was on a Disney Resort and there was a man made lake on the resort, and there were signs that said no swimming, my first thought wouldnt be gators.

Yeah I know Florida and gators go hand in hand. But I have to be honest, me being a NYer, if I was on a Disney Resort and there was a man made lake on the resort, and there were signs that said no swimming, my first thought wouldnt be gators.
I get this take to a certain degree, but my first thought whenever I've been in Florida near freshwater is "hmmm, gators?"  And if I had a two year old, my only thought would be GATORS.  And I'm not a helicopter parent, by any means.  But Florida + gators + two year old + remotest chance of gators = NO ####### SWIMMING!!

I stayed at The Floridian twice years ago. There are No Swimming signs everywhere.  One afternoon some drunk guy jumped in and was swimming in the lagoon and people were screaming for him to get out of the water as it was known to be gator infested. Thankfully the guy made it out safe. I would not go into any inland body of water in Florida.

Terrible tragedy and the parents have to be absolutely devastated knowing they tried to get him. That said, I grew up in CT, but I always knew about gators in Florida. Maybe they didn't but I always thought it was a given that no swimming was 100% related to alligators in fresh water. Heck, we see gators in ponds in Hilton Head/Charleston and I've always told my boys to be careful.

Absolutely horrifying, but I have to echo others here. It's Florida. It's the Australia of North America. Stay out of lakes/ponds.

My heart breaks for that family.

I've participated in bass fishing tournaments all over the east coast.

shady, these signs are similar to what you see near almost every body of fresh water in and around the region they were in. Leaves little to no doubt about the threat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=no+swimming+alligators+present+sign&biw=1360&bih=635&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw3-TJiarNAhWFqh4KHQWhCm4QsAQIGg

I get this take to a certain degree, but my first thought whenever I've been in Florida near freshwater is "hmmm, gators?"  And if I had a two year old, my only thought would be GATORS.  And I'm not a helicopter parent, by any means.  But Florida + gators + two year old + remotest chance of gators = NO ####### SWIMMING!!
Exactly, and there must be a hundred pamphlets and ads about places to see them. Walking near a pond/lake, be careful but letting a 2 year go into the water is just plain dangerous. 

You're absolutely right Shades and I have stayed one time at the GF so I know the lake, I can understand why the parents thought they were in a safe place. If Disney had no signs up then they are going to take the blame big time. Gators can slip from one body of water and move into another so it's possible this one came from another area and ended up there. I doubt Disney released 8-10 gators on their hotel properties. 

Would your first thought be to let your two year old go in the water at 9:20pm regardless if you knew about gators? 

My heart breaks for that family.

I've participated in bass fishing tournaments all over the east coast.

shady, these signs are similar to what you see near almost every body of fresh water in and around the region they were in. Leaves little to no doubt about the threat.

https://www.google.com/search?q=no+swimming+alligators+present+sign&biw=1360&bih=635&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw3-TJiarNAhWFqh4KHQWhCm4QsAQIGg
well if the signs were like that then there is little doubt

You're absolutely right Shades and I have stayed one time at the GF so I know the lake, I can understand why the parents thought they were in a safe place. If Disney had no signs up then they are going to take the blame big time. Gators can slip from one body of water and move into another so it's possible this one came from another area and ended up there. I doubt Disney released 8-10 gators on their hotel properties. 
My hunch would be no they wouldn't. Lawyers?

Something tells me Disney knows how to minimize their liability.

A gator might not be my first thought either, but there isn't a chance I wouldn't obey the signs posted. Regardless of why. 

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere on the tickets and in the hotel fine print there is something addressing the lakes. It is hard to believe an organization with that much to protect and that many lawyers never considered alligators in Florida.

As a father of a 2 year old, this is the saddest story I've ever read.  I can't even imagine what the parents are going through.  I would likely kill myself.  I'm with Shady on this one.  My first thought was to blame the parents but it's not like this kid was "swimming" in the lake.  The family was probably completely ignorant of the threat of alligators and didn't see much harm in letting the kid walk in a foot of water.  I wouldn't necessarily assume the parents are morons because of this accident. 

Horrible situation.  I wish the best for the family and hope they get through this.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere on the tickets and in the hotel fine print there is something addressing the lakes. It is hard to believe an organization with that much to protect and that many lawyers never considered alligators in Florida.
Callously: Disney can well afford to settle at pretty much any 8-figure amount or below. That might figure into their "last resort" line of legal protecton.

As a father of a 2 year old, this is the saddest story I've ever read.  I can't even imagine what the parents are going through.  I would likely kill myself.  I'm with Shady on this one.  My first thought was to blame the parents but it's not like this kid was "swimming" in the lake.  The family was probably completely ignorant of the threat of alligators and didn't see much harm in letting the kid walk in a foot of water.  I wouldn't necessarily assume the parents are morons because of this accident. 
Well they have two other children so they have to live with this mistake the rest of their lives. Simply horrible.

There was a burglar a couple years ago in Coral Gables fleeing police and jumped into a retention pond and ended up being eaten by a gator. 

My heart goes out to the parents but no swimming means don't get in the water. Maybe it's just me.

Well they have two other children so they have to live with this mistake the rest of their lives. Simply horrible.
Here is a picture of the beach and lagoon. You can easily see how it could happen.  I am sure that beach will now be closed.

I would never blame the parents..it was just a tragic accident.  I do see how it could happen. The parents are from Nebraska..it is hotter and more humid than hell in
Orlando in June. Tired from the park..probably just relaxing and letting their little one splash around in shallow water like they love doing.  Gators do not announce their arrival as they are very stealth and silent so there would be no warning without a visual sighting. I know there are signs for no swimming but they need new signs that warn of Alligators in the lagoon.

Give them a break as they will suffer the rest of their lives as I could not imagine anything much worse than witnessing this.

The toddler was in inches of water,so he wasn't really swimming.A lot of the lakes around here have signs posted about gators,so folks are aware even if they are tourist.The thing about gators are they are extremely fast so even if the child was just on the beach near the water the gator possibly could have snatched him.It happens to dogs down here all the time.Terrible tragedy for the family what a horrible thing to happen.Prayers go out to them.Orlando area really having some bad things happen can't ever remember this much bad news happening at once.

Perhaps...though, of all places to feel safer, the lagoon at DIsney would be one I guess.

But yeah, I think many know to be very cautious in florida waters.

Beating a dead horse to an extent here but "No Swimming" is not the same as a sign that says "Beware of Gators." I'm well aware of the dangers of gators in fresh waters in the south but why leave ANY doubt as to the potential danger. The boy should not have been in the water but I can understand a family from Nebraska allowing their 2yo to STAND (he was ankle deep) in the water. Again, I get it, everyone on here seems to get it but I'm not blaming this family and I think Disney is going to get sued and lose because the sign wasn't explicit as to the potential dangers of gators.

Horrible, horrible tragedy. I feel and pray for the family.

One report I read noted that the toddler's four year old sister was also on the beach and witnessed her brother being snatched by the gator and her father trying to wrestle with the gator to save her brother's life.  That poor little girl is likely to have some serious lifelong trauma. 

If im being completely honest, I was walking from Epcot to Cape May cafe last Monday and saw signs on the beach for no swiming. While I know there are gators in FLA, it was not my first thought upon seeing those signs. 

Users who are viewing this thread