What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
NHL draft and free agency both starting up soon. Figured it was time for a new thread.

Also, big trade today between Carolina and Chicago.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=886122&hootPostID=c521d4b628c61275584a69fa9bf2bf6d

The Chicago Blackhawks today acquired a second-round pick (50th overall) in the 2016 National Hockey League Draft and a third-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for forwards Bryan Bickell and Teuvo Teravainen.

Earlier this week, the Blues hired Mike Yeo to the the assistant-for-now, Hitchcock-replacement-later role. He's bringing Rick Wilson with him as an assistant.

The more I read on Yeo, the more I like him.

NHL draft and free agency both starting up soon. Figured it was time for a new thread.

Also, big trade today between Carolina and Chicago.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=886122&hootPostID=c521d4b628c61275584a69fa9bf2bf6d
Salary dump obviously with a young F thrown in as a sweetener.  Unfortunately, TT became expendable after a lackluster season.  Maybe he will flourish in Carolina.  

Personally, I think it's a great trade for the Hawks if they can put that sal cap room to good use.  The picks are lottery tickets.

the cap room gets taken up by Panarin mostly, no?

that Bickell contract was a disaster. way too early to give up on Teuvo. I expect he'll do very well in Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you say so.  I haven't given much thought to the Hawks situation since the game 7 loss in STL.

ETA:  Is is going to take ~$4mm to sign AP?

Black dot for the inevitable Bruins' head-scratching free agent signing for too much money/fan favorite trade for a tin can and toilet seat/drafting a fifth-round grade at No. 14. And the ball-busting, of course.

sure, if his agent suffers brain damage before negotiations
good article here

What’s my best guess on the contract?

My guess is a six-year, $40 million deal. At that price, Panarin costs the Blackhawks a good chunk of change, but he’s not completely burning them financially. He’s also placed ahead of a couple players like Barkov and Saad financially. Sometimes those things matter to players. Panarin could get more money on the open market, but he does understand the opportunity he has with the Blackhawks. Regardless of Panarin’s cap number, the Blackhawks may have to make a few tough financial decisions the following offseason. There’s almost no chance of Teuvo Teravainen being dealt this offseason, but there’s certainly a chance next summer. He’ll also be a restricted free agent. Teravainen is more of a bridge-contract candidate, so re-signing him could likely depend on where the cap is a year from now.

Teuvo, wait!

I can't believe the Canes are going to re-sign Ward.  They'd be better off doing literally anything else.

Black dot for the inevitable Bruins' head-scratching free agent signing for too much money/fan favorite trade for a tin can and toilet seat/drafting a fifth-round grade at No. 14. And the ball-busting, of course.
At least they signed Kevan Miller before he hit free agency. :mellow:  

Umberger bought out.

Other notes from Hextall (according to Sam Carchidi)

- FLyers going BAP at #18 in draft. But all things being equal, they'll take a forward.

- Asked about Matt Read "We need more."

- Hopes to add a forward in free agency but won't take on long-term contract.

The Ward deal screams "welp, we need to get to the cap floor, so might as well throw money to someone the fans actually know".

I can't believe the Canes are going to re-sign Ward.  They'd be better off doing literally anything else.
Surprised to see he's only 32. Been around so long, I thought he was at least 5 years older than that.

Carolina signing their starting goaltender for cheap to keep costs down to prospective buyer?

Surprised to see he's only 32. Been around so long, I thought he was at least 5 years older than that.

Carolina signing their starting goaltender for cheap to keep costs down to prospective buyer?
Cam really wants to stay in NC.   I guess he took the pay cut to stay.  Having said that, nothing personal to Cam but it is time to move on from him.

The Ward deal screams "welp, we need to get to the cap floor, so might as well throw money to someone the fans actually know".
Fans have been calling for Cam and Staal to be moved/cut for years.   This does not sit well with the fan base.

it's really a shame that the Canes keep throwing money at a guy that is losing them games because the rest/core of that lineup is pretty good and they just made a nice deal yesterday that will definitely help improve on last year.

that Bickell contract was a disaster. way too early to give up on Teuvo. I expect he'll do very well in Carolina.
Should be used to resign Shaw and extend Paranin.  You do what it takes to get Paranin signed long term.

Don't understand why the Hawks would rather keep Shaw and dump Teravainen.  You can find a Shaw type player easily.  Teravainen has a lot of skill and is young.....and cheap for 2016-2017.  I understand getting rid of Bickell's contract, which was a massive blunder, but Teravainen was a big price to pay for that cap space.

The expansion draft next offseason should make for some interesting trades/roster maneuvering between now and then.
I think you're going to see some of these moves this offseason like Chicago yesterday.

Be interesting to see if this reduces the number of NMC given out since that guarantees you have to be kept.

Should be used to resign Shaw and extend Paranin.  You do what it takes to get Paranin signed long term.

Don't understand why the Hawks would rather keep Shaw and dump Teravainen.  You can find a Shaw type player easily.  Teravainen has a lot of skill and is young.....and cheap for 2016-2017.  I understand getting rid of Bickell's contract, which was a massive blunder, but Teravainen was a big price to pay for that cap space.
AP made TT expendable and getting rid of BB's contract > keeping TT.

# of bad contracts around league >> # of teams willing to take on bad contract

You have to overpay to get out of cap problems

I like Yeo and am glad the Blues have hired him to be the next coach. 

Pretty important decisions coming for the Blues. I think they need to trade Shattenkirk for offense and hopefully for cap space if they can. The expansion draft might throw a wrench into these plans though. I don't expect Backes to be back, someone is going to get a very nice 2 way player. 

Wings saying they aren't gonna trade prospects just to get rid of the Datsyuk cap hit.  NHL is pretty dumb, if a guy chooses to retire and leave how the hell can the team be responsible for his cap hit?  I get that the rule is put in place to protect older players, but the application is pretty stupid. 

Doctor Detroit said:
Wings saying they aren't gonna trade prospects just to get rid of the Datsyuk cap hit.  NHL is pretty dumb, if a guy chooses to retire and leave how the hell can the team be responsible for his cap hit?  I get that the rule is put in place to protect older players, but the application is pretty stupid. 
Should be a rule that say it's a 60% cap hit at age 36/37 then drops 10% each year if the player was with franchise 8 or so year prior to the retire or go to other league. Helps an older player to walk away but yet try to resign for a respectable amount near the end of a career in the city that supported him.

Sabres had 4 picks in the 3rd round prior to this deal. They now have until August 15th to sign him or he becomes a free agent.

the pick they sent to Nashville has been moved a lot.

"Pick 76 is Minnesota's pick which was acquired from Anaheim in the Jamie McGinn trade. Anaheim had previously acquired the pick from New Jersey as part of the return for Kyle Palmieri. New Jersey had previously acquired the pick from Florida as part of the return for Jaromir Jagr, and Florida had acquired the pick from Minnesota in return for Sean Bergenheim and a 7th.

So Minnesota to Florida to New Jersey to Anaheim to Buffalo to Nashville."

From Bob McKenzie on twitter:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 14m14 minutes ago

BUF GM on trading for Vesey rights: "Why not us? Why not give it a shot? We have a spot in our Top 6 for him. We had four 3rd-round picks."
More Tim Murray: "If I could've traded (rental) Jamie McGinn for Vesey's rights at deadline, I'd have done it. We'll give it our best shot."

The third-round pick BUF gave up for Vesey's right was third-rounder they acquired from ANA (originally MIN) for McGinn.

Murray spoke to Vesey's agent Peter Fish to inform him of trade. Fish also reps Sabre Jack Eichel. Sabres/Pegula/Murray will make a pitch

Users who are viewing this thread