What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DISH drops NFL (1 Viewer)

LAUNCH

Footballguy
http://chi.247sports.com/Bolt/NFL-Network-NFL-RedZone-dropped-by-Dish-Network-45852027

FYI.

Dish Network has dropped both NFL Network and NFL RedZone from its distribution system, TheWrap reported on Thursday.

On the website IWantNFLNetwork.com, the NFL alerted Dish Network customers to the programming they will miss if they do not petition to get NFL Network and NFL RedZone back or switch to another provider.

"Unless DISH resumes carrying NFL Network," the release began, "DISH subscribers will miss out on coverage of NFL Training Camps, a chance to catch all 65 Preseason games, the excitement of Thursday Night Football, every touchdown from every game Sunday afternoons on NFL RedZone, and shows such as NFL Gameday Morning and A Football Life, and much, much more.

"To avoid missing key NFL action, DISH subscribers should find a provider that carries NFL Network and NFL RedZone now  and the good news is there are plenty of choices. NFL Network and NFL RedZone are available on XFINITY, Verizon FiOS, Spectrum, and Time Warner Cable. NFL Network also is available on DIRECTV, along with the chance to watch every out-of-market Sunday game live through NFL Sunday Ticket."

Dish Network customers who don't see this warning will be left out in the cold, if they try turning to NFL Network for coverage of their team during training camp and the preseason. Those who like to soak in all of Sunday's action on NFL RedZone will be in for a rude awakening, too.

I suppose it's a bit early to get too worried about it.  I still wouldn't drop my Dish though.  Love my setup too much to change.

There's still people who subscribe to television?  How quaint. You Luddites will eventually have to join the 21st century. 

There's still people who subscribe to television?  How quaint. You Luddites will eventually have to join the 21st century. 
What is now the most preferred way of accessing as much football without cable then? If I cut cable tomorrow, what are the thing I should do to get my full fix?

Have an HD antenna to pull in local games. What's the best nexus of price/access to get the rest? Is it to subscribe to NFL Game Rewind as a standalone service for a tablet? But this enables you to watch games only after they finish, correct? Does that allow you to watch NFL Network-only games? Will NFL Sunday Ticket be expanding their service tiers and coverage this year for broader access?

Basically need someone to give me the low down of the best option I should take to catch the most amount of games for the best price/accessibility. What are the options this year?

Without going into details, nor pointing anyone in that direction...............

There are  sites online where you can get RedZone free, or at least it was that way last year.

Now, for all the preseason games?  Not a clue on that one, but I assume there are spots you can get those also. In season, I don't watch many full games, or at least the only time I do is when there is one on wherever I am at, or the current poker game I am in. There are just too many ads and breaks. At worst I will stream them online the next day or so if its one I just "have " to watch. Then there are no interruptions anyway.

I will give you boys a tip- A few of the popular "streaming sites" for TV shows have games posted the next day, if you can wait. But the RedZone is real time as far as I can remember. (I found one specific great website for RedZone, and all major sporting events for that matter) Do not blow up my inbox asking for the website. You should be able to find it on your own with a tiny bit of effort and Google.

The time to watch full games is in the offseason as far as I'm concerned.  :)   Football year round~!

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
What is now the most preferred way of accessing as much football without cable then? If I cut cable tomorrow, what are the thing I should do to get my full fix?

Have an HD antenna to pull in local games. What's the best nexus of price/access to get the rest? Is it to subscribe to NFL Game Rewind as a standalone service for a tablet? But this enables you to watch games only after they finish, correct? Does that allow you to watch NFL Network-only games? Will NFL Sunday Ticket be expanding their service tiers and coverage this year for broader access?

Basically need someone to give me the low down of the best option I should take to catch the most amount of games for the best price/accessibility. What are the options this year?
Games will be on twitter. Thursday? I forget but NFLN games were what the bidding was for. 

When you get time, download the aviator browser since it blocks flash and popups then google vipbox

Channels always use this type of press release in negotiations with TV providers. Dish didn't just decide they didn't feel like carrying the NFL anymore. Really what happened is NFL network asked for more money, dish said no, and now they are trying to get a bunch of customers to threaten to leave (or actually leave) as a negotiating tool.

There was a similar one a year or two ago for all the fox channels and they spun it as  "HERP DERP THE LIBERAL MEDIA DOESNT WANT YOU TO SEE FOX NEWS!" Most likely nothing will happen and NFLN will be back on dish by the time the season rolls around

Yes, can only watch games after they finish with Game Rewind.  Don't think Thursday games are any different but never bothered to check one.

Site I use has every sporting event that matters live plus redzone in HD for $10 a month...
Would you mind sharing which site you use? Feel free to PM me if you want. I'm a dish customer myself, so it'd be nice to have a backup on the off chance this goes through. I'd appreciate it!

Site I use has every sporting event that matters live plus redzone in HD for $10 a month...
I know the consensus answer to my question will be "google it" but I've never found a site that offers consistent HD live sporting events.  Every time someone tells me "what?  I get all the free sports on want on <random Kodi channel>", I check it out and it looks like complete dogsh*t ... if it's even able to stream.

So my question is, would you mind sharing the site?  Or PM'ing me?  Thanks man.

Appreciate all the tips, keep them coming. My experience with streaming sites has been really poor in terms of ability to access, pop-ups and ad mess, poor quality and constant buffering, and just not working. I am absolutely fine with paying a reasonable amount for reputable sources of games, even if that is spread across multiple providers (NFL Game Rewind, Sunday Ticket, etc.).

A lot of these services have changed/altered (ESPN is a good example), so trying to understand what people are thinking about. Not sure if it's valid for this year, but potentially might look like this:

PRESEASON:

NFL Preseason Live subscription. Was $20. Not sure what it is now.

SEASON:

NFL Sunday Ticket: $250 (or $350 for Max package with RedZone)

Verizon: just for National games (TNF, SNF, MNF)

NFL Network: 

NFL Game Pass

INCIDENTAL:

Chromecast: $35

What am I missing in terms of options for 2016?

I prefer to have HD programming on all of the TVs in my house.  I also prefer to record as much as I want and be able to watch those shows on any TV in my house.  It's would be very hard to replace my Hopper 3.

You could also pay a friend with cable or directv to "borrow" their redzone or sunday ticket stream.
This seems like the easiest fix.  Give your mom, dad, Auntie, etc $10 month, get them to add the RZ package, and walk them through setting up the password for the access they never knew they had. Enjoy and for $60-70, you get to see everything that matters in real time.

OR

If you rent a home, offer to add the cable included and pass the cost to the renters. Take the advantages, control the password...win. 

So, we are getting closer to the start of training camp and no signs of dish and the NFL working anything out. Are you starting to get nervous and considering switching? I am thinking of switching to directv, but the wife is a big dish and hopper fan so I am not sure if it is worth the headache of her complaining about directv. It also does not look like the genie would work as well for our family as the hopper does, but I would like the Sunday ticket and additional games. 

So, we are getting closer to the start of training camp and no signs of dish and the NFL working anything out. Are you starting to get nervous and considering switching? I am thinking of switching to directv, but the wife is a big dish and hopper fan so I am not sure if it is worth the headache of her complaining about directv. It also does not look like the genie would work as well for our family as the hopper does, but I would like the Sunday ticket and additional games. 
As much as I love football it's not worth it to me to switch.  I'm not giving up the 16 tuners for recording and all the shows I have saved.

I don't know if Hankmoody is being intentionally cryptic but here is the deal for those interested.

Technically DirecTV offers a standalone option to get Sunday Ticket without being a DirecTV subscriber only if you are located in an area where you cannot get DirecTV.  However, last year a lot of people were still able to order the package even when they were in an area where they could get DTV, though it was seemingly random so no guarantees.  No idea how it's been going this year, if they've cracked down on it or not.  Even if they haven't, it's still a toss-up whether your address will show up as available or not.

I don't know if Hankmoody is being intentionally cryptic but here is the deal for those interested.

Technically DirecTV offers a standalone option to get Sunday Ticket without being a DirecTV subscriber only if you are located in an area where you cannot get DirecTV.  However, last year a lot of people were still able to order the package even when they were in an area where they could get DTV, though it was seemingly random so no guarantees.  No idea how it's been going this year, if they've cracked down on it or not.  Even if they haven't, it's still a toss-up whether your address will show up as available or not.
So so much intentionally cryptic but 5 seconds on google takes you to their page at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/nflws/

I also don't believe it's restricted to those  located in an area where you cannot get DirecTV because I set mine up last year online in about 2 minutes and there was nothing about being able or not being able to get it in that process.

So so much intentionally cryptic but 5 seconds on google takes you to their page at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/nflws/

I also don't believe it's restricted to those  located in an area where you cannot get DirecTV because I set mine up last year online in about 2 minutes and there was nothing about being able or not being able to get it in that process.
It says right there on that page you linked...

*NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV service is only available to non-DIRECTV customers in select multi-dwelling unit buildings nationwide where DIRECTV service is not available, in select areas within various metropolitan cities, in a residence that has been verified as unable to receive DIRECTV satellite TV service due to obstructions blocking access to satellite signals and to students enrolled in an eligible four-year university in the U.S. NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV UNIVERSITY is only available to students enrolled in eligible four-year universities. 

Those of you that stream games...to me it's like people that ONLY have internet on their phones..how can you stand watching football, or surfing the internet on a screen that small?? That would drive me nuts.

Those of you that stream games...to me it's like people that ONLY have internet on their phones..how can you stand watching football, or surfing the internet on a screen that small?? That would drive me nuts.
You can stream games on your TV.  This isn't the early 2000s.

Dang, I just switched to Directv last weekend and POed my family in the process.

On the plus side though, I got Sunday Ticket free (not a big deal, everyone does), got a $200 Visa card and my bill will be $60 less for the first year and about the same for the 2nd.

will probably be switching back after the contract though because even though I like directv better, the rest of the family likes dish better.

Hawkeye21 said:
You can stream games on your TV.  This isn't the early 2000s.
Yea, no kidding.  Can stream games in full HD on your TV no problem.  Legally even.  Just  need something like a Roku, FireTV or Chromecast.  Could even go old school and hook a laptop up to the TV.  Most Thursday night games will be streamed via Twitter this year as well.

Sling TV (owned by Dish) just announced they are adding NFL Network and Red Zone Channel to the streaming service.  This was probably the hold up for Dish to get this included in the contract since Sony just announced the same last week.

Do they have red zone again now too? 
Yes.  Same as before.  I believe the upcoming promotion they are going to have for new customers is going to include the multi-sports pack for free when you subscribe to the Top12 plus.  Normally it's like a $15/mo. add on.

Yes.  Same as before.  I believe the upcoming promotion they are going to have for new customers is going to include the multi-sports pack for free when you subscribe to the Top12 plus.  Normally it's like a $15/mo. add on.
Thanks.

How is Dish's version of Redzone compared to DTVs?  DTVs is pretty good, to the point where I pretty much just kept my TV on that even with all the sunday ticket games available.  Are people pretty happy with the Dish version, it's pretty good at jumping around at the right time and everything?

I've never seen DirecTV's so I can't compare.  I love Dish's though.  They have Scott Hanson as the host and I like him.  I put the Redzone channel on and leave it on until the games are over.  Occasionally I will switch to the Bears game if it's on.

I've read that the people who have seen both preferred one over the other but nothing really noteworthy.  Probably just personal preference.

Dish's version of RZC is the same as everyone elses except DirecTV.  DTV does their own thing while the regular RZC that is on Dish, Cable and streaming is produced by the NFL Network.

Users who are viewing this thread