What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (1 Viewer)

Damn. I have Evans, Anderson and Baldwin. The first two play at one. Juju has a great matchup but man a groin injury is tough. This sucks.

I just saw JuJu's tweet about him playing. Outstanding tweet because he references importance of playing for fantasy championships. Just outstanding awareness.

I did find it kind of funny, though not sure Steelers organization will share my amusement, that they prohibited him from speaking to the media yesterday so he just blasts out a tweet instead.

My Mahomes/Hill/JuJu/Ebron teams took a bath last week, but I managed to sneak into the final with one of them.

I lost Gordon in that league already this week and have had some injuries this year, so for me it's basically either JuJu or Rudolph (1.5 ppr for TE) for my flex spot. Won't be a very tough decision. If JuJu is active, I will start him. My feeling is that you need to play your stars if they are active, even if they are a bit banged up. Didn't exactly work for me last week with Hill, but these are the guys who got me this far, and I'd rather go down with the ship than see them put up 25 points on my bench. 

I just saw JuJu's tweet about him playing. Outstanding tweet because he references importance of playing for fantasy championships. Just outstanding awareness.

I did find it kind of funny, though not sure Steelers organization will share my amusement, that they prohibited him from speaking to the media yesterday so he just blasts out a tweet instead.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002527/article/juju-smithschuster-of-course-im-playing-sunday

He's back in my league season lineup and DFS play. I bet 10% or less owned because of the groin scare. Time to pounce lol. 

He just rolled out of my fantasy league driveway on the way to the stadium.   He was so excited but I tried to tell him his game wasn't until Sunday but he wouldn't listen.

We are all trying to beat this game, but JJSS is one of the few players that are a joy to have regardless. Untouchable on my dynasty teams.

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
decisions decisions... 

I need to pick 2: Lockett, Cooks (Peterson might be out), JuJu. 

Right now JuJu is behind Lockett but I might put JuJu back in now

JuJu tweeting about what they have planned for their TD celebration after last years Christmas snowball celebration.

Sure seems like he's pretty confident he'll play and not be limited.

Is Juju now a locked in WR1 (he was WR8 in 2018 in the league where I own him) whether AB stays or not? I feel like he is but how much confidence do you have in him staying a WR1?

Is Juju now a locked in WR1 (he was WR8 in 2018 in the league where I own him) whether AB stays or not? I feel like he is but how much confidence do you have in him staying a WR1?
Pretty much. The increased volume should make up for any effeciency lost and then some.  He's also 22 so... Plenty of room to grow.  Biggest concern is how long does Ben play. 

I think the team voting him MVP also speaks huge volumes about him.  Nobody know who the best players are like other players. 

With his youth, and the lack of youth of his competition,  there is a case to be made for WR1 in dynasty leagues. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much. The increased volume should make up for any effeciency lost and then some.  He's also 22 so... Plenty of room to grow.  Biggest concern is how long does Ben play. 

I think the team voting him MVP also speaks huge volumes about him.  Nobody know who the best players are like other players. 
That is a great point about team MVP!

I’d say so, too.  Where he finishes in the top 12 depends on how well he handles WR1 coverage but you’d think the volume and talent almost guarantees a top 12 finish. 

Biggest concern is how long does Ben play. 
Agree that' the top concern but found it encouraging for both that and how he handles #1 coverage when in week 17 last year with AB out and Landry Jones as the starter he went 9/143 and a TD. Just one game against what was a s sorry Browns secondary in a game with nothing on the line but that's still pretty encouraging.

On the negative side he went into the toilet when Dobbs came in for Big Ben for around 1.5 quarters but I think Dobbs is awful and looks right now that Rudolph is worst case heir apparent option to Big Ben.

On a totally unrelated note and he's not worth a thread of his own but I was pretty surprised that Landry Jones was never picked up by someone this year.

Another concern I have is his slot lineup percentage is really, really high.  It does seem trendy in the NFL right now to move your number 1 or number 2 into the slot so I'm not really looking at it as if the Steelers are trying to hide a weakness, but it's on my radar. 

Another concern I have is his slot lineup percentage is really, really high.  It does seem trendy in the NFL right now to move your number 1 or number 2 into the slot so I'm not really looking at it as if the Steelers are trying to hide a weakness, but it's on my radar. 
The slot position has changed in the NFL.

Tex

Isn't this likely because the Steelers already have Brown on the outside?  Doesn't seem like a huge concern to me.

I've been doing that on madden for decades :D

That said I see zero reason for concern, we've seen him make plenty of plays on the outside.  If ben leaves though.....

I think he's basically Boldin with some of Demaryius Thomas's downfield game. Will there be lulls? Yea. He's not a specimen like Julio or Moss who can just destroy people, but he's proven that he's a really good WR and an underrated athlete. Long-term, I think you have to treat him like a top 10 dynasty WR because, if health permits, he's going to have a lot of 1k seasons even if he's never a top 3 WR in the league at any time.

EBF said:
I think he's basically Boldin with some of Demaryius Thomas's downfield game. Will there be lulls? Yea. He's not a specimen like Julio or Moss who can just destroy people, but he's proven that he's a really good WR and an underrated athlete. Long-term, I think you have to treat him like a top 10 dynasty WR because, if health permits, he's going to have a lot of 1k seasons even if he's never a top 3 WR in the league at any time.
I don't agree with the Boldin comp here.  Smith Schuster is a lot faster than Boldin.  Boldin played like a small TE. 

I think a better comp is DeAndre Hopkins.  Not a freak, agreed, but also not just a Possession guy. 

I don't agree with the Boldin comp here.
Don't either but on his NFL.com bio page when he entered the league the comp they gave him was Boldin but again I don't agree for same reason you said.

My best comp for him from a size/speed/production angle is Davante Adams. One major benefit JuJu has over him with major difference between the two is that JuJu has massive hands and Adams on the other spectrum.

JJSS limped off the field at the Pro Bowl. (appeared to tweak his knee after being tackled)
I had zero plans to watch this game and literally as soon as I flipped over to the game was when he caught the pass from Luck and limped off.

Right now they are saying it's a knee contusion and went on to almost laughably call him questionable to return(got to think that is more no chance). But I still take it as encouraging, I think all will alright.

Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora

Wow. JuJu Smith-Schuster just caught 370 balls on the JUGs machine after practice (yes, I counted). Left, right, over shoulder, at his feet, between his legs, & one-handed. Top flight talent and work ethic to be a star receiver for a long time. #Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster plan to answer bell 

Excerpt:

How will JuJu Smith-Schuster handle the anticipated Year 3 leap?

Smith-Schuster is aware that secondaries will be designed to stop him with bracketed coverages. He's ready for it, and the Steelers believe his football savvy will help him get open often despite the loss of Antonio Brown. But he'll need Donte Moncrief, James Washington and the supporting cast to help to loosen up one side of the field. The offense is at its best with multiple options thriving at once.

Wild how little action this thread has gotten this offseason, while JuJu surges up rankings and ADP. I guess it's just not controversial at all that he's a very young stud. 

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
What are past examples of the #2 guy becoming the #1?  I’ll try to think of some but both lazy and foggy atm. 

Harder to say Randy Moss took over from Cris Carter as it seems Randy was the #1 guy his rookie year

JuJu has the goods and Ben wings it, love to have him if scenario plays out

ConnSKINS26 said:
Hopkins took over for Andre. Michael Thomas took over for Cooks. 
Reggie Wayne is another good example. #2 to Marvin for a long time before he became the guy.

Boldin and Fitz had kind of a 1A/1B thing going on for most of their careers in AZ, but each of them proved later that he could thrive on his own.

I can see JuJu's career mirroring Boldin's. Never the top guy in the league at his position, but super steady and solid.

The Packers have had their #2 take over for the #1 for the past 15 years it seems.

Steelers too now that I think about it.

Jacksonke1 said:
This may go too far back or I'm mis-remembering...Sterling Sharpe/Robert Brooks ?
Sterling Sharpe/Robert Brooks/Antonio Freeman/Donald Driver/Greg Jennings/Jordy Nelson/Davante Adams

Javon Walker was about to take the torch from Driver too before getting hurt. 

JuJu Smith-Schuster said he's "focused on" being more of "a threat on the outside."

Smith-Schuster was primarily a slot receiver last year (59% of snaps), but with Antonio Brown out of town, the Steelers have been putting him out wide more often this camp. During last week's preseason game, he played outside on 10-of-13 snaps, suggesting this isn't just a fad. Slot receivers moving outside is typically a bad sign for fantasy purposes, but Smith-Schuster was efficient no matter where he lined up last year. Of course, he'll have to do it without AB this time around. Smith-Schuster will be fed targets regardless of where he lines up, making him a WR1 in fantasy.

SOURCE: Trib Live

Aug 22, 2019, 8:31 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread