What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (2 Viewers)

Juju has been cleared cleared from the concussion protocol but remains on the injury report with a knee injury per Burt Lauten 

Yeah, looks like he set the speedometer to KPH.  If he was going 104 the other cars are going over 90 too, and I doubt that...  And looking at the stuff on the side of the road he is not going fast. Hes going closer to 60 than 95, which is consistent with KPH. 

I'm more concerned that he's taking fricken videos while driving. That's as much or more dangerous than going 104 a capable vehicle, assuming he was filming it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut him for Darrel Williams. I figure, even if JuJu plays, he'll be no better than a dozen other WR options on the waiver wire.

He does have a tempting matchup against Arizona next week, though. But if I'm going to start a Pittsburgh WR, I'd rather grab Washington.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) is questionable for Week 14 against the Cardinals.

Tomlin added that James Conner (shoulder) actually has a better chance at practicing mid-week than Smith-Schuster. The latter's been sidelined since initially exiting in Pittsburgh's first bout against Cleveland and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. Fantasy owners should pivot to James Washington ahead of Sunday wherever applicable.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Dec 3, 2019, 12:11 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster said he considers himself "week-to-week."

He ran for the first time since initially suffering a concussion and knee injury in Pittsburgh's infamous Week 11 bout in Cleveland, but added that he's not able to cut upfield just yet — an indication he'll remain sidelined against the Cardinals. James Washington, who ranks as fantasy's WR16 on 5.5 targets per game since Week 8, should continue leading the Steelers' aerial attack with his blossoming duck-blind bond alongside Devlin Hodges.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 2:26 PM ET

Rotoworld:

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) is out for Week 14 against the Cardinals.

Smith-Schuster has been removed from the concussion protocol but has been severely limited by his knee injury. The Steelers will continue utilizing James Washington and Diontae Johnson as the primary targets. Both receivers have friendly draws against a bad Arizona defense. James Conner was also officially ruled out for Week 14.

SOURCE: Steelers.com

Dec 6, 2019, 2:43 PM ET

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) is expected to return to practice this week.

This coincides with Adam Schefter's report that Smith-Schuster's "eyeing a return" against the Bills this week. JuJu hasn't practiced since suffering a concussion and taking a blow to his knee in Week 11, but even limited participation at this point would make for an encouraging sign. While Devlin Hodges has provided a spark over Mason Rudolph, the undrafted signal-caller certainly won't be able to sustain two fantasy-viable receivers once Smith-Schuster returns to the lineup. Diontae Johnson and James Washington can be depended on as WR4 options until then.

Dec 10, 2019, 12:27 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) was a full participant for Wednesday's practice.

As was James Conner (shoulder). It's the first time either has practiced since initially suffering injuries in Week 11 against Cleveland. Devlin Hodges has struggled to support two receivers for fantasy weekly and Smith-Schuster's return to the lineup only makes this situation even tougher to sift through. Downgrade both James Washington and Diontae Johnson if JuJu's cleared. The latter himself shouldn't touch lineups in the fantasy playoffs, either.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Dec 11, 2019, 4:13 PM ET

Yeah, this headline from Roto sounds like he was guilty of something. He's there as an endorsement. Did he violate the CBA or the competitive nature of the games or something? This is a weird non-story designed to get people up in arms about his health and situation this year.

JuJu has already said he gets paid for social media appearances. He grew up living in a garage with many siblings. I don't see the point at taking a shot at him trying to earn extra income in a career so often shortened.  

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) is still expected to return for Sunday's game against the Bills after being downgraded to "limited" in Thursday's practice.

The report is via ESPN's Brooke Pryor. It appears Smith-Schuster's limited day was simply part of his rep management. The Steelers' No. 1 receiver hasn't played since Week 11. His return will come against Tre'Davious White and the Bills in a game with a horrid 36 over/under. With No. 3 QB Devlin Hodges under center, it's probably charitable to call Smith-Schuster a WR3.

Dec 12, 2019, 4:38 PM ET

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) remains "questionable" for Week 16 against the Jets.

Smith-Schuster was a full participant in practice last Wednesday but downgraded after Tomlin saw the results of said session. The team will reportedly do the same again this week, giving Smith-Schuster a shot to suit up as Pittsburgh attempts to win out in order to squeeze into the postseason. His presence would add a spark to the Steelers' offense, but there's no need to start him for Championship Week even if he is available on Sunday.

SOURCE: Gerry Dulac on Twitter

Dec 17, 2019, 12:16 PM ET

Yeah, this headline from Roto sounds like he was guilty of something. He's there as an endorsement. Did he violate the CBA or the competitive nature of the games or something? This is a weird non-story designed to get people up in arms about his health and situation this year.

JuJu has already said he gets paid for social media appearances. He grew up living in a garage with many siblings. I don't see the point at taking a shot at him trying to earn extra income in a career so often shortened.  
We get up in arms over this yet I wish people used that energy on guys like Big Ben, Kareem Hunt, AB and others who seem to get a pass but people. JuJu is also one of the players you shouldn't put in a category with those types of players and get up in arms about. Always seems like a very good guy and very mature for his age. He's still one of the youngest players in the league too 

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) was a limited participant for Wednesday's practice.

Much like last week, the plan was always to let Smith-Schuster practice and see how his knee reacted the following day; he reportedly "overdid it" mid-week prior to Pittsburgh's Sunday night kick-off. Even if JuJu's cleared for Sunday, though, fantasy players shouldn't concern themselves with his production in a limited offense with Devlin Hodges under center. He's universally droppable.

SOURCE: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 3:56 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) is active for Week 16 against the Jets.

He's returning from a four-game absence. Admittedly less than 100 percent, JuJu makes for an easy finals week fade. S Marcus Allen, CB Artie Burns, WR Amara Darboh, TE Zach Gentry, QB Paxton Lynch, OT Chukwuma Okorafor and LB Tuzar Skipper are the Steelers' inactives for Week 16.

SOURCE: steelers.com

Dec 22, 2019, 11:49 AM ET

I'm benching him for John Ross but I'm probably going to regret it... 
I'm doing the same. I took JuJu as my #1 WR, then ended up cutting him midseason, then ended up re-acquiring him a couple weeks ago.

But........I'd rather put my faith in Andy Dalton and the Miami defense.

JuJu Smith-Schuster nabbed two catches for 22 yards on three targets Sunday in the Steelers’ Week 16 loss to the Jets.

Admittedly operating at less than 100 percent, JuJu waited until the second half to log his first catch of Week 16. While Smith-Schuster did flash with an impressive 14-yard grab in tight coverage (Maurice Canady didn't give him much breathing room), his rust after missing the previous four games was apparent on Devlin Hodges' game-ending incompletion, a fourth-down heave that went right through JuJu's hands. Between his balky knee and the erratic play of Pittsburgh's quarterbacks, Smith-Schuster won't be a recommended option when the Steelers visit Baltimore in next week's regular season finale.

Steelers owner Art Rooney said the organization will address JuJu Smith-Schuster's contract situation "when appropriate."

"Well again, it was a tough season to evaluate with the different quarterbacks and some of JuJu’s injuries so it’s a tough season to evaluate from a lot of different standpoints," Rooney said. "Obviously we still think highly of JuJu and still think he’s going to be an outstanding player in the league moving forward and we will address the contract situation when it’s appropriate." The 23-year-old spent all but the first six quarters of his season catching passes from Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges, inevitably totaling career-lows across the board (42/552/3) in his first year without Antonio Brown. The organization typically negotiates extensions in the late winter or spring, but it's clearly not in Smith-Schuster's best interest to talk shop following his disappointing campaign. He'll undoubtedly engage in conversations later this year before hitting the open market following the final year of his contract.

SOURCE: Pennlive.com

Jan 21, 2020, 8:48 AM ET

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette predicts the Steelers will allow JuJu Smith-Schuster to walk following the 2020 season. 

Bouchette's prediction is based on "last season, what Smith-Schuster thinks he’s worth and what they want to pay him may be far apart." Bouchette also points out GM Kevin Colbert's long history of letting wideouts depart in free agency, including Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. It's a fair prediction, but it would be unwise to write Smith-Schuster's Pittsburgh future following last year's lost season. Smith-Schuster is still only 23 years old. With Ben Roethlisberger returning for 2020, JuJu could easily return to his 2018 levels of production.    

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 31, 2020, 1:20 PM ET

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette predicts the Steelers will allow JuJu Smith-Schuster to walk following the 2020 season. 

Bouchette's prediction is based on "last season, what Smith-Schuster thinks he’s worth and what they want to pay him may be far apart." Bouchette also points out GM Kevin Colbert's long history of letting wideouts depart in free agency, including Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress. It's a fair prediction, but it would be unwise to write Smith-Schuster's Pittsburgh future following last year's lost season. Smith-Schuster is still only 23 years old. With Ben Roethlisberger returning for 2020, JuJu could easily return to his 2018 levels of production.    

Mar 31, 2020, 1:20 PM ET
@EdBouchette

on Juju: "Based on last season, what he thinks he’s worth and what they want to pay him may be far apart. My prediction... he will become a free agent in 2021 as others at that position before him did, such as Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders."

----------------------

I don't think he can 'easily' return to his 2018 form because AB is gone and Big Ben is nearing the end and Juju never faced the sort of coverage he saw last year without Antonio Brown taking double coverage.  Add James Conner was in top form in 2018 so I don't see him 'easily' returning to 2018 form.  I doubt he was as good as his stats from two years ago when he saw soft coverage and the spotlight wasn't focused-in on him.

In a dynasty league where I am loaded, and needed to pair down total picks/players, I traded Hollywood Brown and Diontae Johnson for JuJu a month or two ago. I'm not sure I'd make that same trade today. I guess we won't know until this year if his huge drop off was because AB wasn't on the other side or due to not having Ben there (or maybe a combination of both) To me he's definitely a wild card moving forward. And if the Steelers do let him walk, makes Diontae even more valuable in a dynasty IMO. 

I don't really agree with Bouchette and the examples he used for Steelers letting WR's walk. It's true he might price himself out but the examples are just poor. Sanders was never that productive in Pittsburgh and they matched NE's offer that would have netted them a third to keep him and extra year, for Sanders is an odd case of what would turn out to be really good WR who never was that good with a good/great QB. Holmes they got rid off because off the field issues, was staring at a suspension for marijuana and he was not someone they felt they could rely on. Plaxico's was coming off two subpar seasons. They offered big money to Mike Wallace but once he declined they gave it to AB and their cost structure was not designed to pay two WR' big money. They then continued to redo AB's contract a few times so it's not like they won't pay a WR.

As an almost 40 year fan of this team I've endured some painful FA losses but generally speaking they've been more right then wrong to not pay some of the players lost what they wanted. I'm not so sure they are in such a hurry to let what would be a 25 year old JuJu walk out the door.

Now saying all that sometimes the grass is greener on the other side, sometimes it's not. But getting out of Pittsburgh and possibly getting paired with a QB on the younger side of things might be a huge win for JuJu.

And I say that because when you break down JuJu's full and almost full games without AB it's not that bad until after week one this year when he lost Ben and was  later banged up. Again it's not many games and I've posted something similar but here are his full games with Big Ben and no AB:

Week 16 in 2017: 6/75/1

Week 17 in 2018: 5/37/1

Week 1 in 2019: 6/78/0

Partial game.

Week 15 in 2017. AB exited game at beginning of second quarter. From just the time AB went out, so about 3/4th of a game JuJu went 6/114 for the game but in the  3 quarters without AB went 4/84/0.

To recap a small sample size of basically almost a quarter of a season, 3.75 games with Big Ben as his QB but no AB JuJu went:

21/274/2 and that small sample size prorates to17.6 fantasy points a game and I understand that's to few games to draw a huge guarantee he's fine without AB but it's encouraging and especially the part that he was active with at least 5 catches every game, not a guy who is going to skunk you.

And oh he also dropped a 9/143/1 game against the Browns in week 17 with Landry Jones as his QB when AB was out.

I've never been that worried how JuJu will fare without AB and I got mad respect for how great AB as many can testify by my posts in the AB and some other threads.  But I am worried about he and the other Steelers WR's will fare if they really think Rudolph is an NFL quality starting QB.

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette believes it's "not likely" that the Steelers re-sign contract-year WR JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Smith-Schuster had a flat-out stinker of a 2019 season, his first as the Steelers' top dog out wide. He was unable to stay healthy, and the quarterback play was shoddy at best after Ben Roethlisbrger went down in Week 2. But JuJu also didn't elevate his quarterbacks, leaving many to wonder if he can truly be a No. 1 wideout in the league. With a big bounce-back in 2020, JuJu could price himself out of Pittsburgh, and it might be too late for the Steelers to keep him at that point. Smith-Schuster badly needs a rebound season.

May 2, 2020, 9:20 AM ET

JuJu is dominant as a #2.  Still on the fence for becoming a force as the #1 guy.  JuJu wants his shot to prove he can be the man.  This is his chance to cash in on 2nd contract and Ben will do his part. 

My take from the FO standpoint: JuJu is an AWESOME teammate. Great for the locker room and already proven to be a huge asset on the field. Those other jokers ran themselves out of town (Burress, Holmes, AB, Wallace) JuJu will be a priority to sign but within reason. Another team would have to severely overpay to lure JuJu away or other priorities on D/OL eat up the precious cap space (ala Sanders couldn't afford to keep him and AB at the time).  

The Steelers ain't paying JuJu #1 WR money. I suspect Diontae Johnson is really the #1 on this team going forward. If JuJu wants to take less to play for the Steelers and he performs well again strictly playing the slot he might be a Steeler after this year. 

The Steelers ain't paying JuJu #1 WR money. I suspect Diontae Johnson is really the #1 on this team going forward. If JuJu wants to take less to play for the Steelers and he performs well again strictly playing the slot he might be a Steeler after this year. 
Dionte Johnson, really?  What is your reasoning?  Not sure what will happen with JuJu but if he stays he's clearly the #1, however, if he leaves I don't think Johnson will be the #1, maybe one could argue Washington as he was drafted higher, went to be bigger program and had better production than Johnson.  But if they do let JuJu go my guess is they will fill the void via the draft.

Dionte Johnson, really?  What is your reasoning?  Not sure what will happen with JuJu but if he stays he's clearly the #1, however, if he leaves I don't think Johnson will be the #1, maybe one could argue Washington as he was drafted higher, went to be bigger program and had better production than Johnson.  But if they do let JuJu go my guess is they will fill the void via the draft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDiJhqhYuog&app=desktop

I agree with Milkman. Johnson is for real. Best route runner on the team (coaches have said so) and just so smooth. He's really  flying under the radar this year because the QBs were so pitiful last year once Big Ben went down. In fact I believe (without any proof) that the reason they might let JuJu walk is because they know what they have in Diontae. 

IMO Diontae is the #1 outside WR on the team and JuJu is the #1 slot WR, both pretty versatile and if you flipped those roles they would IMO be the second best on the team in those roles. I tend to think JuJu will work out of the slot a lot more this year, Diontae will draw more difficult coverage and that will lead to JuJu having more targets then Diontae. So depending on what criteria you use I would project either of these two to be their #1 WR. Washington does not belong in this conversation.

I own JuJu in some leagues and I view Diontae potentially being the #1WR as great news for JuJu. Diontae does not project to draw the attention that AB got but JuJu still might not have to answer the question of if he can perform nearly the same as a true #1.

Diontae Johnson looks just like AB when he plays. Not quite as strong but I can't wait to see how he comes out this year after an offseason in the weight room. 

I guess I'll need to take a second look at Diontae as I wasn't impressed with him last year (albeit on a very small sample size).   But comparisons to AB seems like a big stretch...if he was that good why did he fall to the 3rd round?  I think I counted 8 or 9 WRs who were drafted before him...clearly the NFL get it wrong sometimes, AB is proof of that (6th round I recall) but they get the majority right.   

As I said, I'll give Johnson another look this year and keep an open mind with so many of you supporting the #1 WR declaration.  

-DD

I guess I'll need to take a second look at Diontae as I wasn't impressed with him last year (albeit on a very small sample size).   But comparisons to AB seems like a big stretch...if he was that good why did he fall to the 3rd round?  I think I counted 8 or 9 WRs who were drafted before him...clearly the NFL get it wrong sometimes, AB is proof of that (6th round I recall) but they get the majority right.   

As I said, I'll give Johnson another look this year and keep an open mind with so many of you supporting the #1 WR declaration.  

-DD
He was the Steelers #1 WR in last years draft. They absolutely loved him. He reminds me a lot of AB. 

Users who are viewing this thread