What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization VI - Oct. 2016 (1 Viewer)

So ready for this one. Really got to loving V after the religion upgrade. Tried Beyond Earth and never could get into it.

So ready for this one. Really got to loving V after the religion upgrade. Tried Beyond Earth and never could get into it.
Beyond Earth wasn't too much fun.  I've played through it a few times but it doesn't give the same experience as previous Civ games.  It really felt 65% complete and had room to grow but nothing happened.

I've found myself falling deeper and deeper into Civ5 and love the game (note: I have all DLC). I've gotten to the point that I can go random and still successfully win by using the Civ's strengths and my own tech leverage.  I've probably started 3-4 Civs per week for a couple months now and won over half of those.  Civ5 is super fun as a complete product.

I'm excited for the changes coming in Civ6.  Between Civ4, Civ5, and the upcoming Civ6, I think Firaxis has put a lot of thought into dumping certain aspects of the series that made the game a bit one-dimensional at times.  For example, any experienced player most likely has their build order and tech decisions made for the first 50-75 turns upon starting the game.  It sounds like Civ6 is going to shatter that mold and force tougher decisions on you early.  I like that.  It also seems like they are making cities and war more realistic.  Very excited for that.

Count me in and ready for the big release.  It may not be perfect out of the box but I want to jump in immediately.  Firaxis and Bethesda are on the same level (in my notebook) in terms of releasing high quality gaming to their audiences.  Can't wait to start yapping at you nerds about how I did this and that and how that lead to this OMG moment.

Can't wait.  Please keep posting gameplay videos in here.  I haven't had a chance to watch any yet (stupid work) but I'm planning to catch up this weekend.

:onemoreturnuntil3am:

Beyond Earth wasn't too much fun.  I've played through it a few times but it doesn't give the same experience as previous Civ games.  It really felt 65% complete and had room to grow but nothing happened.

I've found myself falling deeper and deeper into Civ5 and love the game (note: I have all DLC). I've gotten to the point that I can go random and still successfully win by using the Civ's strengths and my own tech leverage.  I've probably started 3-4 Civs per week for a couple months now and won over half of those.  Civ5 is super fun as a complete product.

I'm excited for the changes coming in Civ6.  Between Civ4, Civ5, and the upcoming Civ6, I think Firaxis has put a lot of thought into dumping certain aspects of the series that made the game a bit one-dimensional at times.  For example, any experienced player most likely has their build order and tech decisions made for the first 50-75 turns upon starting the game.  It sounds like Civ6 is going to shatter that mold and force tougher decisions on you early.  I like that.  It also seems like they are making cities and war more realistic.  Very excited for that.

Count me in and ready for the big release.  It may not be perfect out of the box but I want to jump in immediately.  Firaxis and Bethesda are on the same level (in my notebook) in terms of releasing high quality gaming to their audiences.  Can't wait to start yapping at you nerds about how I did this and that and how that lead to this OMG moment.

Can't wait.  Please keep posting gameplay videos in here.  I haven't had a chance to watch any yet (stupid work) but I'm planning to catch up this weekend.

:goodposting:

I've hit the stage with Civ 5 that I did with 4, 3, 2 etc... Build order and Research almost always the same.. Including policies...

Still having fun, but it does get "old" and even though I've tried to break myself out of the mold, I always go back to the same old same old..

Can't wait to be "forced" to change my ways depending on where I build cities. :popcorn:

I've hit the stage with Civ 5 that I did with 4, 3, 2 etc... Build order and Research almost always the same.. Including policies...

Still having fun, but it does get "old" and even though I've tried to break myself out of the mold, I always go back to the same old same old..

Can't wait to be "forced" to change my ways depending on where I build cities. :popcorn:
This. If I don't get overrun early, its not a challenge anymore.

Yeah, I'm in that same mode. I played all the freaking time for about two years straight, took a couple years off, and recently have gotten back into it.

I still love playing as the Shoshone, as I'm all about early exploration advantages and land grabs. I do like that my games are varied enough to where I can determine early whether I need to focus on land forces, naval forces, or no forces at all. Sometimes, no war breaks out among anyone into well into the 1900s, other times, someone like the Huns or the Mongols starts raping and pillaging early. The differences in civilizations usually keeps things varied enough, and I also play with random civs and maps to keep things fresh and interesting.

snogger said:

That is what they really seeked to break with 6. Make it more reliant on your situation rather than a most efficient way to win road map regardless. So, if you end up near the ocean then you are more inclined to be better with tech and policy that leverage that while if you are landlocked it will be hard for you to develop that tech. I find that interesting as I think the decisions that are situational are the most interesting to me.

TheAristocrat said:

I LOVE Civ games.  Found them as a teenager and have been hooked my whole life.

I love the idea of making big decisions early and shattering the mold.  I like to play the GOTM (game of the month) on the civ message boards. Basically they give you a save and everyone competes against each other.  Many of the nerds on there have figured it out unbelievably and I learned a lot.  But I'd rather it be more random and I'd rather the game shake up earlier on.  I'm pumped for this one.

Well .. This video makes Civ 5 look like something from the 90's  

Watch it in Full screen to get the full affect... :jawdrop:
Graphics look great.  Aside from the districts (which they didn't get into much detail about), things look pretty similar.  This is Civilization, they aren't going to make wholesale changes, but I'd like a little more info into the "what's different" side of things.

That being said, this game looks amazing.

What difficulty level do you guys play on? Anything over 4 and I struggle to compete. When I play 4 (Prince, I think) I win every time by getting the City States to be my allies and voting myself world leader. Would like to shake it up a little, especially with 6 on the horizon.

Graphics look great.  Aside from the districts (which they didn't get into much detail about), things look pretty similar.  This is Civilization, they aren't going to make wholesale changes, but I'd like a little more info into the "what's different" side of things.

That being said, this game looks amazing.
Check out this link I provided before

It goes into more details about the changes coming :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
What difficulty level do you guys play on? Anything over 4 and I struggle to compete. When I play 4 (Prince, I think) I win every time by getting the City States to be my allies and voting myself world leader. Would like to shake it up a little, especially with 6 on the horizon.
Generally King.  And I usually go for domination, getting a technical advantage on military troops then targeted strikes on other Civs capitals.

My default "fun" level is prince... Challenging, yet can win most of the time. :thumbup: I play King from time to time, but it does take a different mind set.

When I was at my best, I played Emperor. I think I've won a game or two on Immortal, but it usually requires doing a hack that I read on a forum, such as following a list in a very formulaic way to destroy the enemy.  I think I even won a Diety game doing that once, but it was again just following a checklist.  

Overall though, King/Emperor is where I usually play.  I always start with Prince though when I'm just learning the game.

2nd toughest.

Generally King.  And I usually go for domination, getting a technical advantage on military troops then targeted strikes on other Civs capitals.
and that is my down fall.. :( I tend to like to play Cultural/Science games and will wait until later in the game to go for "domination"..

Problem with that mind set at higher levels is you can't "play nice".. The AI loves to take over land and you with their advantage on the higher levels if you can't switch gears...

Some things that jump out to me in that link:

They also take up a tile. So every tile they're taking up, you're not going to be building a farm there or a mine. So you have to balance this out. You can't build all the districts there, you can't build all the wonders, because you've got to be able to keep your people fed. You still have to do those basic things to keep your civilization moving. So as you're putting down cities and districts in different places, you have to specialize. Do you want more culture out of a city? Do you want more production? So you have to play the map. And that's the coolest thing, figuring out this puzzle of the map.
So as a result, if somebody is threatening you--one of those science players--they may have infantry and you've only got riflemen because you're not as far technologically. But because you've got all these great military policies plugged in, your riflemen are about half as much to produce and they've got all these benefits and their 50-percent stronger in certain areas because you've got that flexibility of government, and now you can stand toe-to-toe with these more advanced civilizations.
:thumbup:

Ok, so a few questions if you nerds don't mind.  I'm not really into gaming anymore and haven't been for a while (with the exception of some COD on PS3 a few years ago) so I figured you guys can help.  With Civilization, I remember playing this game back in HS when it first came out and thought it was great but that's about it with my exposure to it.  I can imagine it's come a long way. 

1)  I would get this game for my 11 yo son.  Is it appropriate for someone that age?  Would he be able to play it well and figure stuff out?

2)  It looks like I can get Civ V for much cheaper than for what Civ VI will be coming out.  Is Civ V ok?  Is it worth getting first to see if he even likes it? 

3)  I would otherwise plan on getting this for the PC.  Is that where most of you play these kinds of games?  Or better on a gaming console?  If it's ok for PC, any kind of special requirements that make it better or minimum requirements that without would make it suck?

4)  When you play this, how long of a stretch is reasonable to be able to make it work?  Like, can he just do half hour or an hour a day and it would be cool or is it something where you would really want to dedicate more time at one sitting?

I'll hang up and listen.

I think something that will have a real impact on the game from previous is how they have revamped the AI.

Now the AI players have 'objectives' in mind that shapes how they behave. So, a lot of the AI will be somewhat predictable. Though they also introduced random traits that get dolled out (there was not much info given on that) that will keep things from being too predictable.

1) Yes, 11 is good.

2) Civ 5 is great if you get all the expansions.

3) PC is definitely the way to go.  A better machine is nice for the late game when turns can take a lot of computing power, but you don't have to have a world-beater.  A reasonable graphics card and an i3 or better CPU will be fine.

4) The game can really suck you in for hours/days, but 30 minutes at a time works too.  I often have a game up at work, and do a few turns here and there when I need a break.

Had to edit this - my answer to #3 was for Civ 5.  I'm not sure what Civ 6 needs.

Ok, so a few questions if you nerds don't mind.  I'm not really into gaming anymore and haven't been for a while (with the exception of some COD on PS3 a few years ago) so I figured you guys can help.  With Civilization, I remember playing this game back in HS when it first came out and thought it was great but that's about it with my exposure to it.  I can imagine it's come a long way. 

1)  I would get this game for my 11 yo son.  Is it appropriate for someone that age?  Would he be able to play it well and figure stuff out?

2)  It looks like I can get Civ V for much cheaper than for what Civ VI will be coming out.  Is Civ V ok?  Is it worth getting first to see if he even likes it? 

3)  I would otherwise plan on getting this for the PC.  Is that where most of you play these kinds of games?  Or better on a gaming console?  If it's ok for PC, any kind of special requirements that make it better or minimum requirements that without would make it suck?

4)  When you play this, how long of a stretch is reasonable to be able to make it work?  Like, can he just do half hour or an hour a day and it would be cool or is it something where you would really want to dedicate more time at one sitting?

I'll hang up and listen.
  1. Yes. Depends on the kid really- if he is interested then yes. If he is just interested in COD and so forth... no.
  2. I liked Civ V and if it is for you kid then I would say yes, don't spend the money on the new one. Get the older version to see if he likes it and if so you can always get 6.
  3. It is a PC game. The newer the game then the more beefer the PC needs to be to run it.
  4. Most games are not one sitting but play and save and play again later- rinse and repeat.

1)  I would get this game for my 11 yo son.  Is it appropriate for someone that age?  Would he be able to play it well and figure stuff out? - There is a learning curve.. but the lowest level walks you through step by step teaching you the ins and outs.. It isn't a "jump in and fight game".. you do have to take your time and learn..

2)  It looks like I can get Civ V for much cheaper than for what Civ VI will be coming out.  Is Civ V ok?  Is it worth getting first to see if he even likes it? You need to buy the expansion packs for Civ V as the basic Civ V game is :X

3)  I would otherwise plan on getting this for the PC.  Is that where most of you play these kinds of games?  Or better on a gaming console?  If it's ok for PC, any kind of special requirements that make it better or minimum requirements that without would make it suck? I only play it on a PC.. I play it on my Notebook which is  HP Pavillion 8GB Ram CPU is AMD A10 2.5Ghz

4)  When you play this, how long of a stretch is reasonable to be able to make it work?  Like, can he just do half hour or an hour a day and it would be cool or is it something where you would really want to dedicate more time at one sitting? The quote "One more turn" is relevant here ;) Many of us have sat down to play for 30 to 60 mintues only to look at the clock and see 3 hours went by.

I'll hang up and listen.

I'll hang up and listen.
1) 11 would be a great age to start Civ. He'll learn a fair bit of history from it. Game would/should be rated G IMO.

2) Civ5 + expansions is perfectly fine.

3) PC. Need a fairly beefy one which is another reason to hold back from Civ 6

4) Can play as little or as much as possible. If he has a tough time listening when you say time to quit, it may not be the best. Games can last 5-6 hours to 5-6 months depending on how you set it up.

Awesome, thanks for that.  I think this is exactly the kind of game he'd like which is why I thought of it after seeing this thread.  He doesn't play COD so not worried about him comparing it to that.  If there's an educational component to it, then even better.

Ok, so where's the best spot to go get Civ 5?  Any links to either buy the game or where to buy/download would be appreciated.  And do I need to buy the expansions right away or just start with the base game and then go from there?  As it'll be completely new for him, this isn't a situation where he'll be comparing it to previous versions and thinking "man, this one sucks compared to earlier ones".

I saw this at Amazon.  Reasonable?  Why would the PC download be twice as much?

My desktop system:

HP AIO desktop (touch screen)
Windows 10
AMD A8-5500 APU 3.2 GHz processor with Radeon HD Graphics
8 GB Ram
64 bit OS with x64 processor

Can't imagine that's not sufficient at this point for a game like this.

Steam is probably the best and cheapest option for buying. Can get the complete package with all the DLC.

Awesome.

Anything else I'd need to buy or this is all of it?  I've heard of Steam but honestly never done anything with it.  Is it just a platform I download for PC and then pay for the content like this game?  Or do I have to pay something for Steam as well?
That should come up with everything you'd conceivably need. All expansions, add-ons...only thing you'd need to add are the free mods if you feel like tinkering.

Steam is your all-in-one PC gaming home.

Awesome.

Anything else I'd need to buy or this is all of it?  I've heard of Steam but honestly never done anything with it.  Is it just a platform I download for PC and then pay for the content like this game?  Or do I have to pay something for Steam as well?
Steam is free. It's a platform for buying games, playing with friends, game achievements, game updates etc. If you buy a game on your steam account you can download it to any PC.

Looks like others have found it cheaper. Not sure what it is going for on steam. Think I paid $40 for the entire package a couple years ago.

Looks like others have found it cheaper. Not sure what it is going for on steam. Think I paid $40 for the entire package a couple years ago.
CDKeys usually gives you Steam codes when you buy from them. Just need to input the code in the Steam software.

Steam Summer Sale started this hour, too.

Depends.  I can win on pretty much any Deity map if I play optimally, but it's kinda boring and frustrating.  I prefer not being closed out of more or less any wonder pre industrial.   Sometime I prefer to just play on prince and wonder whore.  Also, some civs are just garbage - like the Iroquois - and just not worth the effort.  

Workers being replaced by builders

No longer "around forever" ... Only good for 3 "builds".. Planning becomes even more important now on their use..

Nice that a Farm, mining, plantation is immediate now instead of waiting X amount of turns... :thumbup:
Looks like no more separate work boats either, woo hoo! Like that they will have a limited amount of uses now. I always got stuck in the mid and late game with workers just sitting around with nothing to do for a long number of turns until I discovered railroad or some other tech to put them to use for again.

Liking the changes so far a lot, only thing is the graphics look kind of mobile game-ish to me. Reminds me of little of Pirates with the artwork style too with a kind of cartoony feel.

Depends.  I can win on pretty much any Deity map if I play optimally, but it's kinda boring and frustrating.  I prefer not being closed out of more or less any wonder pre industrial.   Sometime I prefer to just play on prince and wonder whore.  Also, some civs are just garbage - like the Iroquois - and just not worth the effort.  
Me too, man.

And the Iroquois are the worst.  I've tried maybe twice to win with this Civ just for the achievement(s) but it is such a #### show.  Not a fun experience.

The very first game of Civ 5 I played it gave me the Iroquois. Between that and the bare bones release date version of 5 I almost gave up on the game right at the beginning. Was so disappointing.

The very first game of Civ 5 I played it gave me the Iroquois. Between that and the bare bones release date version of 5 I almost gave up on the game right at the beginning. Was so disappointing.
In the vanilla version, if you beelined horsemen, you could generally wipe out your continent in short order, or atleast half the civs in a pangea.  

But yeah, Iroquois are actually worse than a civ with no bonuses.  About the only civ that is hard to contain on deity is Korea.  Their specialist science boost makes them the only AI that can really keep pace with a science focused player.  On the whole though, the AIs stall their science significantly in the modern, unless they've conquered several other AIs and are just completely out of control.  But, Stealth and X-Com are so overpowered that the computer's carpet of doom becomes rather immaterial.    

Users who are viewing this thread