What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization VI - Oct. 2016 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Snogger!  Another quick question.  I wanted to play the tutorial, but couldn't find where that was...  I ended up just starting a single player game.  I chose the 'new to Civ VI' option but haven't really seen much in the way of a tutorial...  Is there a specific way to launch that?

Admittedly, I was only half paying attention as I was playing last night.  Hope to spend some more 'in-depth' time with it this weekend.

Oh, and another thing.  Can someone explain envoys in regards to city-states?  I recall I earned an envoy by changing some civic or other (don't recall exactly) but I wasn't entirely sure what to do with said envoy.  Only place I could really see to send him was to the lone city-state I had met (Carthage).  Not quite sure what that earned me though.  But can't you also send envoys to other nations as well?

Oh, and another thing.  Can someone explain envoys in regards to city-states?  I recall I earned an envoy by changing some civic or other (don't recall exactly) but I wasn't entirely sure what to do with said envoy.  Only place I could really see to send him was to the lone city-state I had met (Carthage).  Not quite sure what that earned me though.  But can't you also send envoys to other nations as well?
You gain envoys over time and by completing certain requirements for each city state. When you give an envoy to a city state you get certain bonuses. When you reach 3 or 6 envoys you get extra bonuses. When you are the sarazan of a city state you get even more bonuses and they will follow you into war. On the top right of the screen there is a button that looks like a capitol building that will show you the bonuses for each city. There is also a search button up there that you can type certain words in and get info.

Thanks Snogger!  Another quick question.  I wanted to play the tutorial, but couldn't find where that was...  I ended up just starting a single player game.  I chose the 'new to Civ VI' option but haven't really seen much in the way of a tutorial...  Is there a specific way to launch that?

Admittedly, I was only half paying attention as I was playing last night.  Hope to spend some more 'in-depth' time with it this weekend.
When you start the game.. at the main menu you should see single player, multiple players, and the Tutorial. .

You gain envoys over time and by completing certain requirements for each city state. When you give an envoy to a city state you get certain bonuses. When you reach 3 or 6 envoys you get extra bonuses. When you are the sarazan of a city state you get even more bonuses and they will follow you into war. On the top right of the screen there is a button that looks like a capitol building that will show you the bonuses for each city. There is also a search button up there that you can type certain words in and get info.
Are envoys only for city-states?

After reviews of six, I bought five the other night and I played it every night since. I chose Washington and I have dominated so far.  I'm a little bit behind though as it's the early 1920s and I just got my bombers up in the air. 

I'm itching to drop some nukes on the other island I just discovered. There are only two civilizations left on "my" continent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played Civ V quite a bit and loved it.  Of course, I loved Civ II-IV as well.

Fired it up for a second last night just to confirm the existence of the tutorial.  Sure enough, it was in the middle of the menu.  Played just a few turns into that then had to turn it off.  Reckon I'm going to play through the tutorial then restart a single player game and see how that goes before I start getting into the mods and whatnot.  I do recall some of the mods on Civ IV being pretty in-depth and fun.

Got about 90 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay with Civ VI last night.  Restarted my game as Trajan.  At first glance, Rome didn't appear to be situated on any amazing land at all, but after bit of exploring it marginalized out.  Second city went down south, right next to a sea coast.  Think I messed up though...  Do you still have to found the city on a seacoast tile in order to build ships?  I founded it one tile away... not entirely sure why I did that and think that may have blew the whole point of founding a city on the sea.  Wondering now if I should go back a couple of autosave files and see if I can reload before I actually plop the city down.  Oh, I remember.  The game indicated that tile one away from the coast was an ideal spot...

Other than that, not so bad.  I see now how districts are built.  They open up in the city build screen menu, just like regular buildings and units.  I have the choice of a campus or the military one (don't recall it's name at the moment).  Leaning towards science as it appears that's where my lowest per turn yield is at... 

Barbs haven't been a huge problem yet but there have been a couple of surprise barb archers showing up out of the blue when I'm still rolling with slingers...  Not sure if that means even the barbs have me out-teched at this point or what...  Probably not a good sign regardless.

Between England to my East and city-states above and below me though, free land within walking distance is suddenly becoming scarce.  I wanted to go the game without taking any city-state towns but may have to amend that.  Vicki already hollered at me for placing my second city too close.  Which was cheeky of her considering her second city was like six tiles away from Rome...  We were currently 'friendly' and I wanted to keep relations that way (at least for the near-term) so I humbly begged her pardon and went on about my bidness. 

I'm using this one as mostly a more in-depth tutorial, hands on experience type of thing though.  I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions come Monday morning though.  Stay tuned.

GP

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't get into VI like I did IV and V. I don't know if I too have finally reached my fill of this series or what, but VI just doesn't seem to hit the notes for me that IV and V did.
I don't expect that I'll ever get into a game like I did with IV. That was not only the high water mark for the Civ franchise, it was - for me - a high point in gaming in general.

I don't expect that I'll ever get into a game like I did with IV. That was not only the high water mark for the Civ franchise, it was - for me - a high point in gaming in general.
They are all good.  They have all sucked me in for a bit.  Then I have to force myself to stop playing them cold turkey.  Straight video game crack.  But it definitely depends on what else you got going on.  But I always make some time for a new civ.

After playing it for awhile now, I like the game a lot. But....man did they screw the pooch on the cultural victory. What an unnecessarily complicated way to win. I have no problem with the idea of tourism for a cultural victory, but they never explain how to gain foreign tourism. It's so poorly described and shrouded in mystery that there's entire guides on the internet trying figure out the damn game mechanic. 

The game makes domination and science as the only real victory options (outside of the lame score and religious victories, which I always turn off).

If you play a culture-centric civ like the Aussies it's fairly easy to win but yeah, it's pretty nonsensical.  You just watch your score go up until you pass everyone else and the game ends.

This new version doesn't work with some of my mods and I've given up trying to put it back together again.  Pity...

I guess so. But you can be outproducing everyone else's culture by 100 a turn and still be third best in attracting foreign tourists. You should see the stuff written about this. They use mathematical formulas and outright guesswork trying to figure out the mechanic for foreign tourists. 

I guess so. But you can be outproducing everyone else's culture by 100 a turn and still be third best in attracting foreign tourists. You should see the stuff written about this. They use mathematical formulas and outright guesswork trying to figure out the mechanic for foreign tourists. 
If that is true, that's horrible. I put the game down a few months back because I was bored of science and domination victories. Culture and faith feel like fool's errands. I'll have to look into this tonight now.

It's kind of horrifying to look at the stats in Steam about these games and see how many hours of my life were spent playing. I have 3,115 hours on Civ V. I can't imagine how much I spent on the previous releases, but I'm pretty sure I spent more on IV. I feel like I've barely played the newest that much and I'm at 339 hours. One more turn...

TheAristocrat said:
If that is true, that's horrible. I put the game down a few months back because I was bored of science and domination victories. Culture and faith feel like fool's errands. I'll have to look into this tonight now.
This is where I am. A cultural victory feels like cracking an NSA server and the religious victory is near impossible. 

Just bought this as well. Group in my b-school class wants to start playing together. Looks like a steep learning curve.

Just bought this as well. Group in my b-school class wants to start playing together. Looks like a steep learning curve.
I still have it, haven't looked at it in nearly a year hoping updates would help smooth things out.  Anyone consistently playing that has feedback?

I still have it, haven't looked at it in nearly a year hoping updates would help smooth things out.  Anyone consistently playing that has feedback?
I am still playing.. But in casual mode as I wait for the big March expansion.. If anything like IV & V it is about to get great again. :popcorn:  

I am still playing.. But in casual mode as I wait for the big March expansion.. If anything like IV & V it is about to get great again. :popcorn:  
I am still playing regularly. Every game plays out the same, usually a science win. Some of the Civs are harder to win with. i play on King level.

Looking forward to the expansion pack

Brownsfan said:
I am still playing regularly. Every game plays out the same, usually a science win. Some of the Civs are harder to win with. i play on King level.

Looking forward to the expansion pack
I've been playing King.  Usually a cultural victory, sometimes domination, otherwise science. 

Don't discount the value of traders.  In addition to the obvious coinage, you can pull in production which is often the difference between winning/losing a great building.  They also come in very handy to drive tourism (later stages when you have the policies)

I've been playing King.  Usually a cultural victory, sometimes domination, otherwise science. 

Don't discount the value of traders.  In addition to the obvious coinage, you can pull in production which is often the difference between winning/losing a great building.  They also come in very handy to drive tourism (later stages when you have the policies)
Good idea on the traders. I usually load them into my Space projects, didn't think about wonders. This version gives you no credit(that I can see) when you spend 35 turns building a wonder and someone else completes it before you.

Good idea on the traders. I usually load them into my Space projects, didn't think about wonders. This version gives you no credit(that I can see) when you spend 35 turns building a wonder and someone else completes it before you.
Yea.. my biggest :rant: with the game compared to earlier versions. If someone beats you to the wonder you were building.. to bad no soup for You! 

Don't discount the value of traders.  

The Cree might be OP when they debut in Civ VI because their use of traders. They're basically going to end up being the new Shoshone (which I always play with in Civ V because FREE LAND YA'LL).

I looked at the rumors/notes on the big expansion coming.  It looks really good, but the main reason I didn't play the game much was because the AI clearly couldn't handle the complexity as it was.  With all these new trees and features the AI will seemingly get more lost.

So, are all of you nerds buying "Rise and Fall"?

I'm hesitant for the reasons culdeus described above.
Already pre-ordered for 2/8 download. I still play it daily even with it's current "downfalls".

Looking forward to new Civs to play as well as the changes they are making to the overall game.

There goes my weekend :popcorn:

I looked at the rumors/notes on the big expansion coming.  It looks really good, but the main reason I didn't play the game much was because the AI clearly couldn't handle the complexity as it was.  With all these new trees and features the AI will seemingly get more lost.
I fired up a game a couple of weekends ago.  About 50 turns in France declares their friendship, I accept. Next turn France declares war on me.  Paris is their only city and I take it in about 10 turns. The rest of the game I'm denounced as a warmonger by the rest of the civs. So dumb.  :lmao:

Still playing a lot, usually just domination on Emperor level.  Still has its annoyances, but the mods (there are over 1,000 of them on Steam) open up so much (Restart button, I love you), it's hard to put it down.  The AI seems to have gotten a little stronger; at least it will occasionally use bombers and nukes, which was a pleasant, if painful, surprise.

Still playing a lot, usually just domination on Emperor level.  Still has its annoyances, but the mods (there are over 1,000 of them on Steam) open up so much (Restart button, I love you), it's hard to put it down.  The AI seems to have gotten a little stronger; at least it will occasionally use bombers and nukes, which was a pleasant, if painful, surprise.
I've played Civ for over 20 years, but I've never done the "mods" thing.  Any particular mods you recommend?

I can't figure out why I should care if the other Civs like me or not. It seems like a pretty linear relationship between being ahead on any dimension and them denouncing you.

I've played Civ for over 20 years, but I've never done the "mods" thing.  Any particular mods you recommend?
If you go through the Steam Workshop, all you have to do is hit the Subscribe button and they appear automagically.

Starting Scout and Good Goody Huts are a must.  Brothel and Denny's also.  Resourceful is nice (adds tons of new resources).  Detailed Worlds is good; need to make sure it works with the new DLC, though.  There are multiple mods (CQUI) that allow you to queue up buildings in cities, which is highly desirable but really lead to odd results if not compatible with updates.

does anybody have this on iPad? Does it function well on tablets?
This is what I want to know. It’s on sale for $30. 

Ive got an IPad Pro so I’m sure it’s fine, but who knows how much use Id get. I’m playing the old GTA games now and have XCom as well. 

Looking at reviews for the expansion and saw mention of: Europa Universalis IV

Anyone play this game?  

Anyone play this game?  
I played Europa Universalis II . It's insanely detailed. Its basically a micromanager's wet dream. I don't know if IV is the same.

Anyone play this game?  
I've played a lot of it, although not for a while. It's a very good and deep game if you are into that kind of history-based empire building. Paradox makes other similar, although different enough, games from different eras - Crusader Kings 2 from the age before EUIV and Victoria 2 from the following age.

You can actually convert saves from the end of one Paradox game to the start of the next. I was planning to do a grand play through as Wales from Crusader Kings to Europa to Victoria to Hearts of Iron 4 (WW2), but kind of fizzled out.

Messed around with the vanilla game in the lead up. Its no better imo. Some qol tweaks they made along the way were nice. Never felt need to go far. 

Users who are viewing this thread